PDA

View Full Version : Cel-Shaded Tomb Raider

oraclebop
10-04-09, 10:29
I found this video on Youtube. I don't know how it was done but the cel-shaded graphics look almost good and bring a breath of fresh air in the series. What do you think? I'm not saying they should do it, I'm just saying what do you think about them using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLE6UlfyV8g

Remember, I'm not asking them to use it, just what you think about them using it.:)

EDIT: I know there's a thread about this, but it wasn't replied too since January so I didn't want to revive it less it be closed.

Emmo
10-04-09, 10:56
I like cell shading too. But I don't think it fits all games. It is really good for POP or Street Fighter. But Tomb Raider is really different. It should be realistic in the graphics subject.

anniversarytr11
10-04-09, 11:26
i like it
i think tomb raider doesnt have to be realistic with graphics, its about the gameplay and maybe something like this would rebirth the series but i think they should concentrate on changing the gameplay.

Dustie
10-04-09, 11:42
It doesn't look too bad.

But again, graphics won't make much difference, especially nowadays, when every second game has near-realistic visuals. If next Tomb Raider is a bad game, it will be a bad game, no matter what or how good the graphics are.

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-04-09, 11:45
It'd be perfect if Lara were just a little less lanky. I love that style, though. And I really want to see TR go back to its stylish approach, instead of going for this in between stylish and realistic, because it just comes off as just plain bad graphics right now. At least if they went stylish, like PoP or Street Fighter IV, they wouldn't be written off as bad graphics near as often.

tombraidergale
10-04-09, 11:55
Something similar happened to me... I think that the cell-shading would give a complete new experience with Tomb Raider but I think that this will change TR too much, even if the graphic are not the main thing in a game.
This is the Cell-Shaded Lara on the cutted cutscene (well, in the area of the cutscene xD)
http://i43.************/ea4oaq_th.png (http://i43.************/ea4oaq.png)

Rydell
10-04-09, 12:50
Absolutely not! We are always talking about how Tomb Raider needs to innovate. Prince of Persia just did this and I really didn't even like that style. They just need to keep with the graphics style they have now and keep improving and improving it.

Phlip
10-04-09, 13:18
Hell no, that's horrible. That is not the type of style TR should have. i like it
i think tomb raider doesnt have to be realistic with graphics, its about the gameplay and maybe something like this would rebirth the series but i think they should concentrate on changing the gameplay.

It's Tomb Raider. Graphics are very important in a game like this.

trXD
10-04-09, 13:23
Sure.

I dont mind too much though, its got to a point where i dont care about graphics in TR i just want a good game.

Dennis's Mom
10-04-09, 13:57
It's Tomb Raider. Graphics are very important in a game like this.

As we found out with the first iteration, quality of graphics is not super important. We all had a bang up time playing with blocky architecture and wafer-thin trees.

However, I do think the atmosphere of TR is contingent on creating a sense of reality, not fantasy, in the places Lara goes. Fantasy-style like Okami and POP can certainly be emotionally engaging, but I do think we're always aware it's not real. The danger is always digital.

One thing I remember from the early TRs is that Lara's risk was my risk. A combination of controls and atmosphere gave me the impression that the danger was real.

Now, we have realistic environments, but we've lost the urgency of the control scheme. There's a two prong approach that needs to be taken here. Graphical change along can't do it.

tranniversary119
10-04-09, 14:06
No :wve: I don't hate that style but I'd hate having it for a Tomb Raider game. It just screams cartoon to me, bleh I want TR to get more realistic.

Brikas94
10-04-09, 14:31
The graphics are almost good....

That means I almost like it...

But no... that's NOT Tomb Raider... (and it certainly isn't PoP either:whi:)

]{eith
10-04-09, 14:43
I'd like a stylistic approach but more along the lines of AOD or Anniversary Edition. I think they captured the perfect look with caricatured characters and vibrant, colourful levels dripping with atmosphere.

Super Badnik
10-04-09, 14:48
I have to say, i don't think it's for Tomb Raider. Cel-shading is great and it was brilliant in The Simpsons Game though.

Raider It'd be perfect if Lara were just a little less lanky. I love that style, though. And I really want to see TR go back to its stylish approach, instead of going for this in between stylish and realistic, because it just comes off as just plain bad graphics right now. At least if they went stylish, like PoP or Street Fighter IV, they wouldn't be written off as bad graphics near as often. Actually Legend and Underworld were praised for their graphics by critics. Plus the series has always tried to be as realsitic looking as possible.

thevman
10-04-09, 15:09
A bit to stylized for my taste. And the shadows are too drastic, everything just disappears in black. I always liked that TR is 3 dimensional and I find this style sort of flattens it out.

AODdigger
10-04-09, 15:15
So what you just come out of nowhere and bid us???! I mean, for three years nearly we've beeen fighting against this cartoon-style graphics. I hated the TRU shadows, I mean, I worked my ass off to get 9800 gtx and it can't render good shadows??! But when I turn them on there are other shadows in the game that are realistic and fit it well. So.. no. I love these shadows in another game, I liked the video, but it just doesn't seem right to dump all we've been fighting for - non-cartoon look.

Ilie_Fusarau
10-04-09, 15:17
I think Tr should have realistic graphics , like RE5 (even if some hings were exaggerated even in that game).

oraclebop
10-04-09, 15:40
I agree about them focusing on gameplay first and not graphics. I love what they have now and just want them to continue with that. I just really wanted your views on the topic and style. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Laras man
10-04-09, 15:42
Not a chance! Serusly. Cell-shaded Tomb Raider does not match!

AODdigger
10-04-09, 15:52
I agree about them focusing on gameplay first and not graphics. I love what they have now and just want them to continue with that. I just really wanted your views on the topic and style. :)

Thanks for your thoughts.
Mate, I don't think they'll ever focus on the gameplay ;) But my thought is no on this, sorry, it looks cool, but not for Current Gen TR.

Reggie
10-04-09, 16:38
Has anyone noticed how we all say no to someones suggestion? I can't remember the last time the majority went hell yeah! to a thread started about a certain idea...

And to clear up any confusion, its a no from me as well. Even a stylised direction has no cel shading in its future for TR. Its not a good look IMO.

oraclebop
10-04-09, 16:56
Again, this wasn't a suggestion. This was just a thought. The two words are different. Just so you know, I'm a no too. But if it was like an option for a DS games maybe. :D

Dennis's Mom
10-04-09, 17:01
Well, even if it's not right for a game, it's certainly an impressive video. I'd take a new movie with that style.

Reggie
10-04-09, 17:04
Again, this wasn't a suggestion. This was just a thought. The two words are different. Just so you know, I'm a no too. But if it was like an option for a DS games maybe. :D

Ok so its an idea or thought. Same difference from my position.

Larapink
10-04-09, 17:11
There was a thread about this already!

No thanks, it wouldn't work for TR!

Shark_Blade
10-04-09, 17:13
Terrible idea imo. Next!

-DaNnEe..
10-04-09, 17:17
Omg, god no.

Tony9595
10-04-09, 17:34
No thanks, Cell shaded graphics made me hate the Legend of Zelda series (well, not twilight princess) and I donīt want the same thing to happen with Tomb Raider

amiro1989
10-04-09, 17:59
Cel-shading is amazing, but I don't want TR to be cel-shaded.

Trfansince1996
10-04-09, 18:00
No just no.

happyfunstick
10-04-09, 19:18
Has anyone noticed how we all say no to someones suggestion? I can't remember the last time the majority went hell yeah! to a thread started about a certain idea...

And to clear up any confusion, its a no from me as well. Even a stylised direction has no cel shading in its future for TR. Its not a good look IMO.

There would be a resounding hell yeah if someone made a thread about finishing the game properly this time and getting rid of the "dammit lara is stuck, i gotta withdraw the weapons to move again" bug...

People fear change! lol

Delamo1999
10-04-09, 20:52
Thanks for posting this video. Although it looks really good, I am a fan of the next gen graphics and realistic settings for normal gameplay. What I liked about TRU was that Lara had to brush away bushes as she ran past them as well as shield herself against the fire in the Croft Manor. Maybe if it could be an option for a replay.

:)

Tombraiderx08
10-04-09, 23:05
i personally dont like the style, and in my opinion, she looks a little cel shaded already (in tru that is)

happyfunstick
11-04-09, 01:24
i personally dont like the style, and in my opinion, she looks a little cel shaded already (in tru that is)

Yeah, it's got to the point where the graphics are pretty high on the poly count.. but not *quite* realistic.. I reckon the next game will be shocking though ^^

laracroftswest
11-04-09, 04:44
This is sort of off-topic, but how did you make it cell-shaded?

oraclebop
11-04-09, 05:57
I don't know how it happened since I'm not the one who made the video, but it seems to be a bug that happens when you enter an area that was out of borders using the Fly Cheat.

Lintal
11-04-09, 06:58
Looks horrible imo. I prefer it to look more realistic

aussie500
11-04-09, 09:41
I found this video on Youtube. I don't know how it was done but the cel-shaded graphics look almost good and bring a breath of fresh air in the series. What do you think? I'm not saying they should do it, I'm just saying what do you think about them using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLE6UlfyV8g

Remember, I'm not asking them to use it, just what you think about them using it.:)

EDIT: I know there's a thread about this, but it wasn't replied too since January so I didn't want to revive it less it be closed.

Well these days l am not paying over $100 to play a next gen game with a character that looks like a cartoon, no matter how good the scenery looks. Which is why l never bothered buying the last Prince of Persia game, l did not like the way they did some of the graphics, it looked cheap rather than artistic to me.

Blackmoor
11-04-09, 09:56
They should go for greater realism not less. This game always used to be about believing your were actually living the adventure, that it was real. They need to keep up with the current expectations of "realistic" graphics to achieve that.

Mytly
11-04-09, 18:26
I loved the cel-shaded look in Prince of Persia (though it was not actually cel-shaded), but I don't think that look suits TR at all. In PoP, the story is like a fairytale and magic forms an integral part of gampeplay. TR isn't intrinsically magical (though supernatual elements are present in every TR), and the characters as well as story are definitely more realistic. In short: a big no for cel-shading in TR. I think the graphics in TRU were pretty good, though Lara herself should be made to look a little more realistic.

Emmo
11-04-09, 19:38
I loved the cel-shaded look in Prince of Persia (though it was not actually cel-shaded), but I don't think that look suits TR at all. In PoP, the story is like a fairytale and magic forms an integral part of gampeplay. TR isn't intrinsically magical (though supernatual elements are present in every TR), and the characters as well as story are definitely more realistic. In short: a big no for cel-shading in TR. I think the graphics in TRU were pretty good, though Lara herself should be made to look a little more realistic.

This is what I want to say. :tmb:

Bladerj
11-04-09, 20:14
if well done, it would fit the game, tomb raider was always a cartoony looking game, just don't make it too cartoony, has anyone ever heard of a fps game all made in cell shade ? i forgot the name of the game it hink it was a number, like 7 or sth.

i wouldn't mind cell shaded