PDA

View Full Version : What were your feelings/anticipations about the game before release?

toxicraider
19-04-09, 19:52
Legend was my first game, so I didn't look out for trailers or previews of the game. I know a lot of people here don't think highly of the game's easiness, but how were you all anticipating it when you saw all the trailers and videos? Did people realise long beforehand that the game wouldn't be like the classics or was it only until large portions of the game were shown?

I'm just curious to know :)

Legend of Lara
19-04-09, 19:58
All the screenshots and the awesome trailers got me really excited.

If only I knew 90% of the stuff I saw would be cut out...

January_Snow*
19-04-09, 20:34
Legend wasnt my first game, but a few months after I finished AOD I left the gaming world, and havent played games for sometime, I didnt even know a new TR is going to be relesed, and than I saw a magazine and on the cover it said something like "Lara Croft is back, better than ever", I read the review over and over, I was so thrilled!:D :D :D
And when I played it! WOW!:D :D
Legend is now my second favourite game, right after Underworld! :D

MoonSword
19-04-09, 21:56
I was just happy that after Crytal's take over, the franchise wasn't dead and that I could play TR again! :jmp:

aussie500
20-04-09, 05:40
No anticipation, never even knew they were making a new Tomb Raider game and would not have been interested in it at the time, completely missed the build up. Never even knew Crystal Dynamics had taken over the franchise till l saw their logo on the trailer l saw just before the game was released. And l would never even have seen the trailer if someone had not emailed it to me. l never looked for any other media, but spent the next few days wondering whether or not l would bother trying the new game. It had looked good, but then so had AOD and that had been a disaster. That Core Design had not made the game, and that l had played quite a few games Crystal Dynamics had made eventually gave me enough hope to take a risk and buy Legend. l asked the EB person who sold me the game if it was OK, no bugs and nothing like AOD before handing over my money though, he gave it a good review.

Not seeing any of the things that never made it into the final game before l had finished playing Legend probably helped me to enjoy it.

Phoebe_Croft
20-04-09, 09:21
Nothing much, at first I thought it was something got to do with Young Lara and Von Croy (Even though he died), I thought it was called Tomb Raider : Legend Shots, at first, but I didn't read below the page (it showed screenshots.) :p

Drone
20-04-09, 10:23
absolutely nothing, I didn't even know about it. Didn't know about cd, trailers, spoilers and everything else. I only played it when it was out because it was another game in the franchise, that's all. Same was with tra. But I spoiled TRU as much as I could lol

toxicraider
20-04-09, 12:43
Oh, I was expecting to hear about how everyone was anticipating a fantastic revival :p
Well, I saw an advert on TV and wanted the game, having seen AOD around in stores. I suppose it was a good thing I started with Legend and not AOD! :p
I was pretty excited for anniversary, and spoiled myself to bits on TRU :)
But of course, the parts that were cut out must have been a little disappointing to people that were looking out for the game.

Changeling
20-04-09, 15:35
Being the 12 year old n00b that I was at the time, I had no idea that a new TR game was even being made. I had no idea about Core Design being shut down, or Crystal Dynamics taking over the franchise, or the re-writing of Lara's biography and backstory and all that melarky. :p Going on the website, I can vaguely remember reading that Lara was having an adventure that had something to do with a mysterious person from her past. Completely forgetting about AoD for the first few weeks, I thought that this mysterious person was Von Croy XD

Played the game. It was fun but... I just couldn't get over how much they had changed the series and Lara. I will admit - Legend is a good game... just not good as what a Tomb Raider game should be in my opinion. I prefer Core Design's games much more. My favourite of CD's series is probably Anniversary, and even then it was inspired by Core Design's epic game. :whi:

Tony9595
20-04-09, 16:02
Legend wasnt my first game, but a few months after I finished AOD I left the gaming world, and havent played games for sometime, I didnt even know a new TR is going to be relesed, and than I saw a magazine and on the cover it said something like "Lara Croft is back, better than ever", I read the review over and over, I was so thrilled!:D :D :D
And when I played it! WOW!:D :D
Legend is now my second favourite game, right after Underworld! :D

Exactly the same way than you! :D

I didnīt have any idea of a new Tomb Raider, until I saw it on a magazineīs cover, and it truly impressed me. I bought 3 versions of Legend, gamecube, DS and PC.

It was a huge change, I never felt like playing a "Tomb Raider" game, because it totally isnīt a proper Tomb Raider, but Iīm sure that it is a great game which Iīll always love (WITH VOICES OFF) :hug:

tranniversary119
20-04-09, 17:04
I new about it maybe two or three months before it came out. I was extremley hyped!

Tombraiderx08
20-04-09, 19:04
I was very very excited, I saw how good the levels and the graphics were, i read up on some bio's that i believe were on TRC and read the story (i think i read it there too) i was so excited! And it left me satisfied and hungry for more :D

Tony9595
20-04-09, 20:21
↑ :yik: Thatīs exactly why I hate Legend!

Itīs so SHORT!! It was so good, that made me want MORE, MORE, MORE!!!

Rivendell
20-04-09, 20:57
I missed the hype. I saw one trailer for the game a couple of months pre-release, read a couple of magazine articles that stated "CHANGE". So I was a bit apprehensive. I played the demo and thought "Damn right it feels different."

I'm glad I wasn't hyped for it though, I would've been so much more strongly opposed to it than I already am!

:vlol:

TRhalloween
20-04-09, 21:59
At first I read an article calling it "Tomb Raider: Legends"
I searched around on it for information (corrected to 'Legend)' and found a trailer for the game.
I didn't really have anticipations, I just thought "Oh it's TR. I want that game"

I wasn't disappointed. I did find it short but the gameplay mattered more.

Haaaydeen
20-04-09, 23:08
I loved Legend and I found out about it about 4 or 5 months before release and saw trailers.
Yes it is short but the gameplay is tops XD

Larapink
21-04-09, 15:20
Honestly, I didn't know about Legend well untill a year after... :o

Mainly because I had played AOD for a little while got annoyed with TR left it for a while and eventually I found out about Legend I was amazed. :D

Super Badnik
21-04-09, 15:59
Well, before Legend the last TR i played was Chronicles. AOD came out in 2003, but it would be a while before i actually played that one, but i saw the second movie that year. After that i didn't have much to do with TR, so i had no idea about Legend for a while. Then one day in 2006 i got a game magazine with Lara occupying the enitire cover, saying something like "Comeback Queen Lara returns, bigger and better than ever!". I had been out of TR for a few years by this point though so it wasn't awfully exciting. But then i got an Xbox360 that same year, which came with 3 games. I chose Legend as one, and i am so glad i did. I enjoyed Legend, as linear as it was, but it also brought me back to Tomb Raider and i fell in love with Ms. Croft all over again.

ShadyCroft
21-04-09, 17:19
I saw most trailers and was really stunned by how beautiful Lara looked and awed at the wonderful transition between classics and the new ones.

I thought it would play like the classics, and was extremely excited when I thought how it would feel with such amazing environments, finding keys, items, locked doors.

However, when I started the game and thought there was too much going on in the back from yapping to system music that drove me crazy. Also, the game played weird and I really sailed through a huge portion really quickly. Cutscene in every few steps (I remember I used to crave for a cutscene to take a break from controlling Lara and see Lara in action). I couldn't find any keys, items to combine, keyholes to put items in, really classic pushblock puzzles...I felt something was wrong..:confused:
This was not it, this couldn't be it..Its not what I saw in the trailers.

sorudo
21-04-09, 17:35
i just bought it at the thought "i hope it's better then 3, i don't like to fight unreasonable monsters all the time", at least, untill i played it.
in TR3(or that's what i think it is) the tutorial level was pretty fun, but when i had to fight egyption god monsters, it had a one way trip to my dumbster.
i don't hate mosters, i just hate it that i need to concentrate on puzzling the tomb AND kill the monsters at the same time.
liked the manor tho, i always love to shoot the butler:P

mslivetoGAME
21-04-09, 19:53
when i saw the preview on the back of a magazine i flipped out and i told my dad that they were making a new one and he was so surprised on how good it looked. i looked for cut scenes and things like that online.
I pretty much did the same thing for tomb raider underworld:D

Phlip
22-04-09, 16:57
Ouch...
I was 100% against the idea of changing Lara's look and making her more "realistic," because it was changing who Lara was, which annoyed me. They talked a lot about how Lara was going to look different.

So yeah, I had a pretty bitter feeling before getting the game. XD And even more bitter when finishing it the next day.

kimonap
22-04-09, 20:54
back then.pfff everyone in my family was telling me everyday that there is not going to be any other tr game....i was so disapointed.BUT ONE DAY i remember this epic day i visited the tr site.and ...that day is one of the top 20 best days of my life:D The beta...version of the game was so great..i thought it was going to be the best tr

MMAN
22-04-09, 22:37
My hype was OMG OMG at the time, but in the background there was the thought they might have missed the point on various aspects, which turned out to be correct for me.

i just bought it at the thought "i hope it's better then 3, i don't like to fight unreasonable monsters all the time", at least, untill i played it.
in TR3(or that's what i think it is) the tutorial level was pretty fun, but when i had to fight egyption god monsters, it had a one way trip to my dumbster.
i don't hate mosters, i just hate it that i need to concentrate on puzzling the tomb AND kill the monsters at the same time.

You must be talking about TR4, because you both don't go to Egypt and can kill everything (technically) in TR3 (TR4 also fits the idea of a "tutorial level" much more).

AmericanAssassin
23-04-09, 02:09
I was extremely excited. After all, my favorite series was about to get its comeback. Or so I thought. :p