PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix Let's Eidos Survive

The_Underworld
29-04-09, 06:04
Following the successful completion (http://kotaku.com/5222537/tomorrow-eidos-is-square-enixs) of its Ģ84 million acquisition last week, Square Enix (http://kotaku.com/tag/square-enix/) has announced that UK publisher Eidos (http://kotaku.com/tag/eidos/) shall remain UK publisher Eidos. Eidos has spent nearly two decades developing their brand identity, and that brand identity will remain intact. The company will continue on as an independent organization and wholly-owned subsidiary of Square Enix Holdings Co., Ltd. Square Enix Holdings president Yoichi Wada suggests the arrangement is akin to a more romantic coupling.

"This is an exciting beginning to what I believe will be an incredible journey. I am very happy that Phil Rogers has agreed to lead Eidos in what I see as an international marriage between our two companies, a marriage that will give birth to great things. Eidos is a content rich company and a culturally significant business to the Square Enix group." An excellent metaphor, which unfortunately has me imagining the two companies sleeping together. It's too early in the morning for mental images like that.

http://kotaku.com/5229444/square-enix-lets-eidos-be-eidos

I apologize if it's already been posted:o

NightWish
29-04-09, 06:27
lol! sleeping together! :vlol:

BTW is this good news or bad? Does it mean the same people wo used to make the stupid decisions are still in charge?

The_Underworld
29-04-09, 06:33
Right now it's still unknown. I'm guessing that Eidos will be in charge of the next Tomb Raider but SE makes the final decisions. But that's just a guess

Sharon_14
29-04-09, 06:42
I have no idea if its a good or bad thing... :p

oraclebop
29-04-09, 07:02
I'm still shocked by the sleeping thing to think if this is good or bad.

:yik:

daventry
29-04-09, 07:19
So how Good or Bad is it for Games, Mainly Tomb Raider. :mis:

You think we will Finally get a Decsent Polished On Time Game, im Mainly talking about Square since it seems they are More Incharged now. :pi:

I Never played a Square Game before, so you think Crystal will make Another TRU Drama kind of way Game again. :confused:

The Marraige and Sleeping Together thing, sounds like Bad Karma for Tomb Raider. :p

Shark_Blade
29-04-09, 07:43
I'm guessing Phil Rogers is from Square Enix right? :confused:

It would be bad to just let the old management lead Eidos again and the same disaster will repeat itself.

jaywalker
29-04-09, 07:45
I'm guessing Phil Rogers is from Square Enix right? :confused:

It would be bad to just let the old management lead Eidos again and the same disaster will repeat itself.

Phil Rogers took over as Eidos CEO last year, and started the restructure then, post SCI days.

RAID
29-04-09, 07:53
Phil Rogers took over as Eidos CEO last year, and started the restructure then, post SCI days.
By last year, you mean before or after Underworld's release?

jaywalker
29-04-09, 09:58
By last year, you mean before or after Underworld's release?

Before Underworld release, but plans put in place dont happen overnight, the restructure has been ongoing.

TRBeth
29-04-09, 12:49
Well, I was hoping for a lot more hands-on from SE. Not sure that will happen at all under the present situation. Hopefully, there will be a new direction, new blood for the Tomb Raider franchise.

In my view, CD's Tomb Raiders need some major upgrading with the technology and a revamp of what is done with the actual game play.

Altair
29-04-09, 13:23
Zzzz. I guess we'll see how it goes.

xXhayleyroxXx
29-04-09, 13:27
^^ yeah
as long as the tomb raider games stay the way they are with improvements, i'll be more than happy :)

Carbonek_0051
29-04-09, 13:30
Awsome, glad SE came to that decision.:)

I don't want Eidos to go, so I am very pleased.:D

DaNoNeMoKiId
29-04-09, 13:36
:eek: I'm not sure if that decision is a good or bad thing, I'll just have to wait and see.

Evan C.
29-04-09, 14:31
I think that this transaction can be translated to this:

SE buy Eidos,but keep the estructure.Eidos team or whatever they are,work in the games,but the money goes for SE.Of course,they will pay to their employees for their work.

Tomb-Dude
29-04-09, 14:37
all i can say is HA!!! all of ou people what where like "YAY eidos is gone!" HAHA
Sorry but it serious, us people who said Eidos weren't going you didn't listen.
:jmp:

It's good new to my ears, I was gutted to hear Eidos might be going so i'm happy they are staying with this news ;)

ZIP!2009
29-04-09, 14:38
Hmmm lets hope this phil guy reads our forum hey.....;):p
I
just hope tomb raider is taken seriously, and not a rushed underworld disastor..

hate underworld now, Ive been playing tomb raider chronicles lately.

Evan C.
29-04-09, 14:39
Is curious to see how this can be important to us.If who buy who,who works for who,who stay and go.Personally,I don't care nothing if Eidos,Konami or Ubisoft are in charge of the franchise.The final result if what matters,almost everything else are pure comercial movements.

tranniversary119
29-04-09, 16:03
The games will no doubt be better because of Square Enix..with alot more resources.

Dooch
29-04-09, 16:10
Still undecided if this is good or bad news. I hope that SE won't rely on Eidos making decisions for the future of Tomb Raider... :(

SamReeves
29-04-09, 16:31
Bad news, especially if the same dipsticks are kept running the asylum.

Drone
29-04-09, 16:59
unsure is it good or not. At least maybe SE will make some good contributions :)

thevman
29-04-09, 17:01
I'm taking a wait a see stance, sam. Who knows if SE will keep eidos or CD involved with TR or take their own direction with the franchise??? :confused: It's up to them now and we don't have the crystal ball to see what those decisions will be. I have a feeling they will change things if only to stamp their own style onto it. :whi: We never saw that happen before, right? :rolleyes:

For all we know they could do the same thing that happened to core and demand all TR related goodies be surrendered to them and turn it over to yet another developer they have worked closely with in their past. :pi:

Super Badnik
29-04-09, 17:02
I think what some people need to remember is that SE probably couldn't really care less about Tomb Raider. Posts seems to suggest that everyone thinks SE will be fully controlling TR, when in actual fact they will probably just let CD do their thing.

thevman
29-04-09, 17:06
Fact is we don't know that. Do you or I work for them and have that inside knowledge? Nope... All we can do is try second guessing them. That's why I'll just wait and see what they do next. ;)

Super Badnik
29-04-09, 17:11
Fact is we don't know that. Do you or I work for them and have that inside knowledge? Nope... All we can do is try second guessing them. That's why I'll just wait and see what they do next. ;)The point was that it's unlikely that they're as intrested as everyone is making out they will be. They're just intrested in having Eidos, and probably aren't dying to have Tomb Raider.

thevman
29-04-09, 17:18
I think it's the titles and the money they can make off them they are interested in, not eidos. So there you have it, we already don't agree and we still don't know SE's intent. http://www.storagebin.us/smilies/smilies/dunno.gif

Maritimus
29-04-09, 17:36
I must admit that I cannot say if I think its good or bad. I think only time will tell if Eidos are repeating the same mistakes or if everything will be better now.

After all, the rushing of TR games has not happened because Eidos is evil - it was because they needed the money. Desperatley.

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-04-09, 17:44
Could be good or bad, hard to say.

Personally, I think many of us hope that SE will step in, take control, and make TR completely different than CD did and closer to the classics, that would be ideal. However, by the sound of things, SE may only be interested in buying the cash cow while not having to work that much. It's just an early speculation, though.

However, if CD continues to make the games, and surprises us with something completely refreshing and different than what they've given us, I'd be highly impressed and proud of them for listening to us. I don't expect that to happen, since TRU was supposed to be different, yet is exactly like TRA and TRL, but we can always hope.

Super Badnik
29-04-09, 17:45
I must admit that I cannot say if I think its good or bad. I think only time will tell if Eidos are repeating the same mistakes or if everything will be better now.

After all, the rushing of TR games has not happened because Eidos is evil - it was because they needed the money. Desperatley.True, but trying telling some people that.

Sir Croft
29-04-09, 18:08
True, but trying telling some people that.

We all understand that. We all also have in mind that Eidos heavily relied on Tomb Raider, and basically only on Tomb Raider, to get that money. That's where our anger come from.

jaywalker
29-04-09, 18:09
We all understand that. We all also have in mind that Eidos heavily relied on Tomb Raider, and basically only on Tomb Raider, to get that money. That's where our anger come from.

have you SEEN our product line up? theres some absolute corkers coming :)

Super Badnik
29-04-09, 18:09
We all understand that. We all also have in mind that Eidos heavily relied on Tomb Raider, and basically only on Tomb Raider, to get that money. That's where our anger come from.Don't they have that Hitman series? I'm sure they had others, i think SE mentioned in the interview Eidos has a strong brand.

Sir Croft
29-04-09, 18:16

Coming. As far as I recall, the last game released by Eidos (not talking about DS titles, etc) before Underworld was Kane & Lynch, and according to the charts by Square Enix, it didn't perform that good, specially after all the controversy with GameSpot.

EDIT: My bad, it was actually Age of Conan. Don't know how it performed, so I can't comment on that. That's Online RPG, though.

Don't they have that Hitman series? I'm sure they had others, i think SE mentioned in the interview Eidos has a strong brand.

Yes! Eidos' got some great franchises, like Deus Ex, Hitman, Legacy of Kain. But the question is: how long has it been since the last time a sequel of those franchises was released?

jaywalker
29-04-09, 18:19
Coming. As far as I recall, the last game released by Eidos (not talking about DS titles, etc) before Underworld was Kane & Lynch, and according to the charts by Square Enix, it didn't perform that good, specially after all the controversy with GameSpot.

Yes! Eidos' got some great franchises, like Deus Ex, Hitman, Legacy of Kain. But the question is: how long has it been since the last time a sequel of those franchises was released?

Remember we were under SCI brand until beginning of last year, then new CEO came in and started making some big changes into our structure and management etc. Games take a while to develop so only now are games coming thru that are based on this new structure etc. 2009 is gonna be an uber year for Eidos

Nenya awakens
29-04-09, 18:30
2009 is gonna be an uber year for Eidos

Do i smell a LOK sequel brewing?! :mis:

Tomb-Dude
29-04-09, 20:35
Bad news, especially if the same dipsticks are kept running the asylum.

Any need for that comment, they have made fantastic games other then tomb raider. So i don't honestly think they are dipsticks :)

Agreed some of the games coming out this year from Eidos look great! Can't wait!

Still think people need to stop bashing Eidos in my opinion. :rolleyes:

AmericanAssassin
29-04-09, 20:39
This is not good news. SamReeves, I agree with you completely. New management is at least needed. Eido$ has not been doing a good job with the Tomb Raider series. In the end, that's all I care about when it comes to Eido$. This will most likely mean that the series will continue to be family-based, simple, and aimed at 12-year-olds. Ugh. This is depressing. :rolleyes:

Lord Dagger
29-04-09, 23:07
These are extremely good news. And for all the people who wanted Eidos to go, its never gonna happen!

People who want a "Tomb Raider RPG", you can keep dreaming because it WILL NEVER happen! :D

Any need for that comment, they have made fantastic games other then tomb raider. So i don't honestly think they are dipsticks :)

Agreed some of the games coming out this year from Eidos look great! Can't wait!

Still think people need to stop bashing Eidos in my opinion. :rolleyes:

I agree! I love Eidos Interactive. These people seriously do need to stop bashing Eidos. Its not Eidos' fault they have financial problems.

Dia2blo
29-04-09, 23:39

i heard rumours of all the big eidos franchises being ressurected... Any word of this from the inside? I would love another Thief game!

aussie500
30-04-09, 00:00

Eidos have always published lots of games and not just the ones they develop themselves, they have never depended on just Tomb Raider. It is only the conceit of some Tomb Raider fans that gives that impression, Tomb Raider as the longest running franchise earned the most, only the first 4 games really sold well, and sales started dropping after TR2. Not even Core Design depended only on Tomb Raider, they were making other games as well.

i heard rumours of all the big eidos franchises being ressurected... Any word of this from the inside? I would love another Thief game!

If you are a Thief fan you might be lucky, Eidos Montreal started a game last year which has a strong chance of being Thief 4, they will probably announce the game in the next few months.

paulwork
30-04-09, 19:57
Yawn... I hate corporate buzzwords and corporate speak. They ruin and suck the life out of language like some kind of linguistic dracula. Why don't they spice it up a bit with "extra-marrital affairs" "divorce" and "alimony" while they're at it.

Marriage...Integrated...Seamless...Synergies... Epic... Pass me the barf bag so I can think outside of the box, and puke inside of the bag for a change :-)

Sorry, for the rant. Anyway, I'm not wanting to defend Eido$h, but I guess the brand is more present/prominent/numerous on games store shelves, than say square enix branding, so I guess it does make some sense.

I guess it comes down to consumer attitude. Are you the kind of consumer who is likely to start grinding your teeth with anger when you see a glimpse of an Eidos logo?

Worse, would the Eidos Logo provoke you to (and I quote Victoria Wood in part...) "do something crazy and demented, like running up and down the store aisles naked, singing the theme tune to 'Cagney & Lacey'...:-)

Or are you the type of consumer who wholeheartedly adores and wants to "marry" the Eidos brand, because you love it so?

cardmonster
30-04-09, 20:16
Without wishing to sound too petty, I'm personally glad that Eidos will remain Eidos, simply because the only people who will be annoyed are those who don't know what they're talking about anyway. A brand is just a brand - it's the people behind it who matter, and they've changed a lot over the years, hiding behind corporation names like "Core", "Eidos" and "SCi". From the fantastically naive assumption that Square Enix would be developing the next Tomb Raider to the asinine hopes that Eidos would finally be dead and buried, this whole farce has been miserable from beginning to end. Hopefully now we can get back to talking about the games, rather than pretending we understand the inner workings of the companies who make them for us.

thevman
30-04-09, 20:20
I really don't care whose name appears on the packaging, what matters is a good game. I would however be worried if I saw disney, teletubbies or vegitales on the box! :eek:

RAID
01-05-09, 09:51
We're pretty close to Disney Vman, the way the franchise is headed at the moment.

Seriously, unless this CEO knows what he's doing, this will be the end of TR. I do hope that games will have to go through SquareEnix's approval before actually being released full of bugs, with awkward controls, and scripted gameplay.

Drone
01-05-09, 11:46
it's really interesting how exactly SE will change TR. What features they add, what they subtract to the series. Trying to stay positive

Lee croft
01-05-09, 11:55

does this mean on newer TR games will see Eidos, Crystal and Squere Enix's names on the case?

Athene
01-05-09, 13:34
Reading between the lines here, it seems that Eidos will stay fully in charge of TR, and it's likely that CD will keep developing it. The only thing that MIGHT change is that they will be given more money to do so.

scion89
01-05-09, 19:43
SE let Eidos survive and retain their independence.

now Eidos should be thankful and should now listen and do as their told because they have a big name looking over their shoulder.

and perhaps with some extra funding coming from SE they may take their time with developing games and give us a game that lives up to our expectations.

AmericanAssassin
01-05-09, 20:36
Reading between the lines here, it seems that Eidos will stay fully in charge of TR, and it's likely that CD will keep developing it. The only thing that MIGHT change is that they will be given more money to do so.

If that happened, everything would change. More money equals more developers and more time. That would be good. :)

Athene
02-05-09, 15:40
If that happened, everything would change. More money equals more developers and more time. That would be good. :)

More money will probably result in more time for developing the game, but the basic concept won't change. TR will still be centred around Lara's family issues, and the games will still be linear and easy. That is, unless Eidos decides to hire a new company to develop TR.

Drone
02-05-09, 15:45
More money will probably result in more time for developing the game, but the basic concept won't change. TR will still be centred around Lara's family issues, and the games will still be linear and easy. That is, unless Eidos decides to hire a new company to develop TR.

I hope it won't happen. But if it will it won't surprise me.

Chocola teapot
02-05-09, 16:11
^ I really hope not.

Scott x
02-05-09, 20:09
oh god why!??

I thought we were getting something brand new! And now.. no its the same just a different owner -.-

and Lord Dagger... TR is already an RPG...

AmericanAssassin
02-05-09, 20:14

I highly doubt the future games will have anything to do with her family. Everything was explained. Amelia was brought to Hellheim, where she died. Natla killed Richard. Unless she has some long lost siblings (which might kill me), I think we're about to see something completely new. :mis:

On the matter of difficulty and linear levels, we'll just have to see. I'm worried about that, as well, but I guess all we can do is cross our fingers...

amiro1989
02-05-09, 20:19

It's a little bit rude to assume all this. Give them time. Who knows what CD is currently cooking for TR???

igonge
02-05-09, 20:26
Okay... so... I was kind of lost before but now I understand.

Altair
02-05-09, 22:57
I guess everyone danced on Eidos's grave too soon.

Either way, after shelling out $60 in blind faith for the last decade, I'm sticking to renting now. If Tomb Raider 10 is more of the appeal to the general gamer fluff, not even another company change will convince me they are attempting to be innovative.

aussie500
03-05-09, 02:21
I guess everyone danced on Eidos's grave too soon.

Either way, after shelling out $60 in blind faith for the last decade, I'm sticking to renting now. If Tomb Raider 10 is more of the appeal to the general gamer fluff, not even another company change will convince me they are attempting to be innovative.

When did Crystal Dynamics ever say they were going to be innovative with the franchise? They said they were going back to the basics and that's what they did, none of the games since TR1 have been innovative, and even TR 1 used ideas from other games (and movies) a fair bit.

larafan25
03-05-09, 03:02
I definately agree that everyone danced on eidos's grave wayyyyy to soon.

seeing as the frist thread about square enix onwing eidos had people cheering and being super excited that eidos was no more and that square enix would be making the game and that we would get a new inovative tomb raider.....sooo ya MANY people jumped the gun on that one;)

Isaac
03-05-09, 04:25

And perhaps you're well placed to assume that kind of thing?

The whole family thing is over, well it was with Amelia's death. The only link to Lara's family I can see is Lara following her father's step (i.e. his journal) to find artifcats (āla Benath the Ashes).

About the linearity, TRU wasn't as linear as the others but still, you can easily think that they could have done way better with more time and more money, which they seem to have acquired with Square Enix.

So only time will tell.

Sir Croft
03-05-09, 04:34

seeing as the frist thread about square enix onwing eidos had people cheering and being super excited that eidos was no more and that square enix would be making the game and that we would get a new inovative tomb raider.....sooo ya MANY people jumped the gun on that one;)

Nobody said Square Enix was going to develop the next game. It doesn't matter if Eidos is gone or not, thing is Square Enix is the big boss now, nothing happens without their permition and it's obvious that they will bring changes, they will provide financial support and new technologies, and the game is not released untill it meets their standarts. Thinking that after a takeover like this things will stay the same is nonsensical.

aussie500
03-05-09, 05:42
Nobody said Square Enix was going to develop the next game. It doesn't matter if Eidos is gone or not, thing is Square Enix is the big boss now, nothing happens without their permition and it's obvious that they will bring changes, they will provide financial support and new technologies, and the game is not released untill it meets their standarts. Thinking that after a takeover like this things will stay the same is nonsensical.

I think quite a few thought Square Enix would be developing the next Tomb Raider game, no other reason would explain why they were jumping to such wild conclusions about what would be happening. Square Enix is not going to be interfering with the day to day running of Eidos, they do not need permission to do what they are paid to do which is develop and publish games. The management of Eidos will be answerable to Square Enix same as any other subsidiary is answerable to head office. Eidos is still the publisher of their own games and will still be making most of the decisions concerning how they are made and by whom.

Big Lara Fan
03-05-09, 07:24
Anyone think Square will announce something about TR9 next month during E3 '09? I hope so. :wve:

aussie500
03-05-09, 09:36
Anyone think Square will announce something about TR9 next month during E3 '09? I hope so. :wve:

No but they might have a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIII, with some real in game footage to show off. l doubt Eidos is going to announce anything about Tomb Raider at E3 either, they have plenty of great games coming out this year and Tomb Raider is probably still being kept under wraps. No need for us to see anything this early, although a few hints would keep interest alive.

cardmonster
03-05-09, 10:02
Eidos may announce that it's in development, almost in passing, but we won't see anything. Following Underworld's initially underwhelming sales, Eidos fired 30 Crystal Dynamics employees including Epic Eric, prompting an awkward statement about a Dark Knight-style re-imagining. Amidst the Square Enix buyout, it's very unlikely that anything will have been in development.

Chocola teapot
03-05-09, 10:31
Well they are bound to have something, I mean what have crystal been doing lately then?? :confused:

Super Badnik
03-05-09, 10:55

seeing as the frist thread about square enix onwing eidos had people cheering and being super excited that eidos was no more and that square enix would be making the game and that we would get a new inovative tomb raider.....sooo ya MANY people jumped the gun on that one;)True, and i think even now people are still getting carried, thinking that SE will be directley involved in TR9. Some are even under the impression they will be making it.

Rai
03-05-09, 14:51
Well they are bound to have something, I mean what have crystal been doing lately then?? :confused:

Making other games. They do more than just develop Tomb Raider. ;)

cardmonster
03-05-09, 15:26
Recruiting people?

Zebra
03-05-09, 15:31
Eidos may announce that it's in development, almost in passing, but we won't see anything. Following Underworld's initially underwhelming sales, Eidos fired 30 Crystal Dynamics employees including Epic Eric, prompting an awkward statement about a Dark Knight-style re-imagining. Amidst the Square Enix buyout, it's very unlikely that anything will have been in development.

Of course they've been working. Probably also on the next TR game. They can't just take a break of several months just because some people got fired and their parent company was taken over by another publisher.

Recruiting people?

Yeah. Of course. And that occupied the whole team for 5 months!?

Quasimodo
03-05-09, 15:50
Yeah. Of course. And that occupied the whole team for 5 months!?
I think I recall Justin saying something about having a peek at what they were up o so far with TR9 :confused: CD has been known to stagger the production of TR games, halfway through making one game part of the team starts on the next.

Zebra
03-05-09, 16:07
I think I recall Justin saying something about having a peek at what they were up o so far with TR9 :confused: CD has been known to stagger the production of TR games, halfway through making one game part of the team starts on the next.

Yeah. That's what I mean. They've probably started working on TR9 quite some time ago. Probably a year or sth.

cardmonster
03-05-09, 16:10
Yeah. That's what I mean. They've probably started working on TR9 quite some time ago. Probably a year or sth.
Yeah, it's probably finished.

Quasimodo
03-05-09, 16:12

Should we start bugging Keir for weekly goodnesses, then?

Maritimus
03-05-09, 16:14

I already played it. I really liked how they fused the Resident Evil, Dragonball Z, Teletubbies and Tomb Raider universe together. The part where Lara saved Tinky Winky by sacrificing Son Goku was absolutly epic.

cardmonster
03-05-09, 16:30
Should we start bugging Keir for weekly goodnesses, then?
I think the demo would be the least we could ask for.

black_sheepa
03-05-09, 17:04
I already played it. I really liked how they fused the Resident Evil, Dragonball Z, Teletubbies and Tomb Raider universe together. The part where Lara saved Tinky Winky by sacrificing Son Goku was absolutly epic.

You played the new TR game but haven't seen the "Rewards" section in-game with the trailers collection. The word is not "epic", its "funky". Shame on you. ;)

Maritimus
03-05-09, 17:26
You played the new TR game but haven't seen the "Rewards" section in-game with the trailers collection. The word is not "epic", its "funky". Shame on you. ;)

What ? I completly missed that. Damn ! :p

Zebra
06-05-09, 16:03

Very funny :rolleyes:.

TheCookieTheif
06-05-09, 16:07
Don't Crystal D only make Tomb Raider games anyway at this moment in time... ;)
If so they most probably started bout 1 year ago maybe 6 months ago... but are now recruiting more people to help???
I don't know what's going on... they could even be working on a spin off game. (Doubt it though.) <--- I read a post that a man said it will be completely different to what were thinking. Hmmm!!! :D

aussie500
07-05-09, 01:18
Don't Crystal D only make Tomb Raider games anyway at this moment in time... ;)
If so they most probably started bout 1 year ago maybe 6 months ago... but are now recruiting more people to help???
I don't know what's going on... they could even be working on a spin off game. (Doubt it though.) <--- I read a post that a man said it will be completely different to what were thinking. Hmmm!!! :D

Actually l think a year ago Crystal Dynamics were still under the impression they were allowed to develop original IP, and as usual it was cancelled. They probably still had 3 development teams and only one was working on TRU, one was working on original IP, so what was the other doing? Back in 2007 they had another game cancelled, and they were working on 2 Tomb Raider games then TRA and TRU, so they had 3 teams working on developing games. It is likely only after TRU was released it was decided Crystal Dynamics should focus exclusively on Tomb Raider and that is when all those not currently working on Tomb Raider or part of one of the other internal departments suddenly found themselves out of a job.

matrix54
07-05-09, 01:36
eventually, they'll suffer from cores "disease" and get tired of Lara...she'll be killed off and passed on to another developer for her revival :(

Maritimus
07-05-09, 05:02
eventually, they'll suffer from cores "disease" and get tired of Lara...she'll be killed off and passed on to another developer for her revival :(

I don't think that Eidos will allow that to happen.

And its not like Core became tired of Lara, they became tired of the hard work: They had to create a new TR game every year.

aussie500
07-05-09, 05:30
I don't think that Eidos will allow that to happen.

And its not like Core became tired of Lara, they became tired of the hard work: They had to create a new TR game every year.

And how much easier would it have been to release any other type of game every year, whether it was Tomb Raider or something else, they still had to make games. Its much harder to develop new IP every year and come up with a hit, none of Core's other games ever did as well as Tomb Raider. It was probably easier for them to release a Tomb Raider game every year.

Tear
07-05-09, 06:47
I just hope they're working on it right now.;)

Pietras
07-05-09, 13:42
Making Crystal Dynamics produce only TR games is another of Eidos' retarted ideas. They will burn out quickly, like Core did. This publisher will never learn. Hope SE saves CrystalD.

Zebra
07-05-09, 14:21

Core became tired of having to develop the same kind of games all the time. They weren't particularly tired of Lara. But they didn't have enough time to really change TR. That was until AoD. And then they tried to do too much in too little time and we know how that ended :(...