PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Level Tournament -- Best of the Best Part 7

Ward Dragon
15-05-09, 05:25
There is a run-off (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151899) for the best add-on level after the Gold Edition (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3630815#post3630815) poll was too close to call for sure.

The poll for best manor (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=150994) is currently ongoing. The winning manor will be entered as a level in the final round of the tournament.

Palace Midas won Part 1 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=150821).

Temple of Xian won Part 2 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=150981).

Temple Ruins won the run-off for Part 3 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151299) after Part 3 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151138) ended in a dead heat.

The Lost Library won Part 4 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151456).

Gallows Tree won Part 5 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151607).

The Hall of Seasons won Part 6 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151778).

Tony9595
15-05-09, 05:40
I voted for Japan :)

I absolutely love that level, it was a hard decision though... Nepal is so good too. But still, I prefer Japan :D

Ward Dragon
15-05-09, 05:44
I voted for Ghana. It seemed like the most natural level and also one of the longest. England was good as well, very atmospheric and one of the more complex levels in the game like Ghana. I liked Nepal a lot (what little there was of it :p) but it should have been much longer. I also enjoyed the flashback sequence in Peru, the temple that followed it, and the actual laboratory in Kazakhstan (but not the shoot-out or bike part prior to that). Everything else failed to make a good impression on me :o

Ashnod
15-05-09, 05:48
I voted for Peru. Very nice swimming puzzle, it had the GOAL! Easter egg, introduced us to Anaya, Amanda, and Fluffy, while fleshing out a great deal of Lara's backstory. Further more, you actually got to PLAY out some of that backstory - it's really rare for a flashback to be interactive in any way. I loved the muted colorsand the younger Lara and Amanda models; I loved the tomb design and the lighting effects, and it had arguably the best gold secret in the game.

Ward Dragon
15-05-09, 05:53
I loved the tomb design and the lighting effects, and it had arguably the best gold secret in the game.

If not the best, then tied with England :p Those were the only real puzzle-based gold secrets in the game. Japan, Ghana and Nepal simply required looking in the right place and then doing the obvious to get the secret. Kazakhstan's secret wasn't that difficult to figure out but getting there was rather buggy on some platforms :hea: and Bolivia's gold secret required pure luck to avoid getting screwed over by the unskippable cutscenes which sometimes kicked in while the door was opening and made it impossible to get the secret :hea::hea::p

Edit: Oh wait! The Manor gold secret totally pwns all the gold secrets in the main game! I almost forgot about that :p

Tony9595
15-05-09, 06:02
↑ Yup, pretty difficult...

Shouldnīt Croft Manor be considered as a level too? Since it has rewards... and I think itīs even longer than some levels :p

Ward Dragon
15-05-09, 06:10
↑ Yup, pretty difficult...

Shouldnīt Croft Manor be considered as a level too? Since it has rewards... and I think itīs even longer than some levels :p

I considered that, but Croft Manor is already represented in the Manor poll.

Edit: If enough people post in this thread that they wanted to vote for the Manor, then I'll close this and open a new thread with the Manor included as a level.

Verdilet
15-05-09, 06:12
Tough choice. Japan and Nepal have always been my favourites, but I'm still not quite sure. Sadly, I'm not sure any level in TRL deserves a place in the final poll.:( But I'll finish replaying Legend this evening and make a descision then.;)

And although it doesn't have any votes yet, I'd expect England to win this poll.:)

oraclebop
15-05-09, 06:37
The urban levels always stood out in a Tomb Raider game for me, which is why Japan get's my vote.;)

Johnnay
15-05-09, 06:41
its was hard between japan and ghana but i chose ghana because the music is very beautiful

ward dragon can you please try and put croft manor as a level well .......... because getting all the medals was a pain especially in the gym part.

xRikux89
15-05-09, 06:43
I voted for England, and it was an easy decision. The museum is nice in it's silliness. Then there's an actual tomb, a nice boss, and a fairly small infestation of mercenaries. It was probably the only level in the whole game which ever gave me any feeling of achieving something. I guess I could say it's too linear, but just take a look at the levels it's up against... :whi:

Bolivia is nice, and gets the upper hand for being the first level. By this I mean that, being the first level, it can't really be flamed for being easy. :p I also found Peru's flashback and tomb parts pretty nice. But the bikeride drags this one down below the seabed for me. Japan on the other hand was ruined the moment I saw what Lara was wearing! :ton:

Ghana is definitely one of the "better" levels overall, but I personally find it boring at several parts. It had some great stuff though.

In Kazakhstan, as with Peru, I sort of enjoyed the parts after the (even longer) bikeride. But you can't get rid of the bikeride. Moving on, Nepal is a bit short for what it does, especially after Kazakhstan which is very long. And soon you are thrown into the final massacre. Although the ending was rather good, I wouldn't say it made Bolivia Redux a better "level" in any way.

b0bb13
15-05-09, 10:39
I love all the levels(except for Bolivia Redux,duh:p),so it was a hard decision,since every level has something special,but I chose Nepal.Even if it's short,I absolutely loved it,because it reminded me a lot of TR2 and it's the only level where I had the "there's nothing down there" feeling.And the music from the plane area is so beautiful and sad,I remember just staying there to listen it.:D

]{eith
15-05-09, 11:26
Hate all the levels but England I hate just a little bit less. Nepal was pretty but five minutes long. :p

Reggie
15-05-09, 11:52
I'll go with Nepal. There was some atmosphere and the buddha puzzle stands out in my mind. There were some icicle traps that could get you if you weren't careful as well. Also the cold area made a welcome change after so much of the warm locations.

Zebra
15-05-09, 12:00
Kazakhstan.

Soul
15-05-09, 12:04
My vote goes to Ghana, as I loved the atmosphere.
But it would be great if the Manor was also in this poll, as I loved collecting all the secrets there. The puzzle for the goldsecret is one of the best in Crystals games.

Eddie Haskell
15-05-09, 12:06
Since the ending credits could not be chosen, I went with Ghana. I chose it, even though it was whilst playing this level that my ever growing frustration with the game led me to this forum. For a "Legend" level, it was adequate.

nada
15-05-09, 12:09
i blindly voted for bolivia... cause i don't really have a favorite here

disneyprincess20
15-05-09, 12:11
I chose England, because the first time I played it, as the lack of enemies early on made me think I should be a bit careful with her health, and when Lara pulls herself out fo the water and finds an actual Tomb I thought "Ooh, it's like Tihocan's Tomb in TR1!". Plus it was one of the few levels where you went in, got the artefact and had to get out again. It always annoyed me when you could grab the artefact and the level ended straight away.

Alex Fly
15-05-09, 12:14
Peru. :tmb:

SoulReaver74
15-05-09, 12:25
England - I'm not a huge fan of this game but King Arthur's Tomb had some nice elements to it. :)

*PH*
15-05-09, 12:40
voted for japan
i love this level
played it many many times
though i love all the levels in TRL

ShadyCroft
15-05-09, 15:17
I choose Nepal.

Legend had a nice variety of locations, and I like (not LOVE) all the levels but I thought they needed to be (should have been) longer, harder and more complex.

MMAN
15-05-09, 15:39
Ghana, with England close behind. Kazakhstan would be in the running for me if it wasn't blighted by the bike ride.

*laralover*
15-05-09, 16:43
England :wve:

Brikas94
15-05-09, 16:56
Ghana is the overall best, for me. :tmb:

Verdilet
15-05-09, 17:27
Replaying Legend over the last couple of days, Nepal was the only level I really enjoyed. I agree with b0bb13, it is very similar to TR2's Tibet levels (even if those levels were better), what with the snow and the monastery. Monasteries, I've decided, are perhaps some of the best places to set a TR level. Even if they're not particularly "Tomb Raidery", they always seem to work well. In particular, the "balancing boxes" puzzle is very good. Nepal is also one of the few levels where I like the music. Again, I agree with b0bb13 on this point. The music makes the mountain sides in this level very atmospheric.

"Zip, Alister. I'm voting for Nepal. Please arrange the usual (ie clicking on 'Nepal' and then clicking the 'vote now' button)." :ton: :tmb:

Seth94
15-05-09, 17:29
My order would be:

1. England (The one I voted for. ;))
2. Japan
3. Nepal
4. Kazakhstan
5. Ghana
6. Bolivia
7. Peru

TRULuverzz
15-05-09, 17:29
Kazakhstan, but i also love Japan!!! :D

Reggie
15-05-09, 17:37
Replaying Legend over the last couple of days, Nepal was the only level I really enjoyed. I agree with b0bb13, it is very similar to TR2's Tibet levels (even if those levels were better), what with the snow and the monastery. Monasteries, I've decided, are perhaps some of the best places to set a TR level. Even if they're not particularly "Tomb Raidery", they always seem to work well. In particular, the "balancing boxes" puzzle is very good. Nepal is also one of the few levels where I like the music. Again, I agree with b0bb13 on this point. The music makes the mountain sides in this level very atmospheric.

"Zip, Alister. I'm voting for Nepal. Please arrange the usual (ie clicking on 'Nepal' and then clicking the 'vote now' button)." :ton: :tmb:

Isn't this the level where the headset goes silent for a while? That could be another reason why the atmosphere is better. :)

Verdilet
15-05-09, 17:47
Isn't this the level where the headset goes silent for a while? That could be another reason why the atmosphere is better. :)

No, you're thinking of either Ghana or England. In Ghana, Lara loses contact with Zip and Alister, and although she keeps saying "Zip, Alister, are you there?" for the rest of the level, there is also a bug which causes the headset to go silent at that point. In England, she also loses contact with them and nobody speaks for the rest of the level.

Having said that, I don't think the headset was used as much in Nepal as in other levels.:)

Tony9595
15-05-09, 18:08
No, you're thinking of either Ghana or England. In Ghana, Lara loses contact with Zip and Alister, and although she keeps saying "Zip, Alister, are you there?"

:vlol: if you make lots of acrobatics, one of them will suddenly talk to you :p

Mytly
15-05-09, 18:21
Voted for Nepal, though it was a close call between that and Japan. But Nepal won out because ... well, mainly because I have soft spot for snowy levels. :D No, really, the only flaws in this level, IMO, were that it's too short, and of course, that godawful cutscene ("This is what it's always been about." :hea:) Otherwise, the level was beautiful, had some nice haunting music, an interesting puzzle (in the monastery), and provided some nice and innovative bits of gameplay, like using the icy environment to traverse the terrain, i.e. climbing on icicles and jumpng on ice floes. Of couse, all of it lasted about 5 seconds :rolleyes:, but at least it was there. ;)

And although it doesn't have any votes yet, I'd expect England to win this poll.:)
I expected that too, but looks like Ghana is edging it out.

I love all the levels(except for Bolivia Redux,duh:p),so it was a hard decision,since every level has something special,but I chose Nepal.Even if it's short,I absolutely loved it,because it reminded me a lot of TR2 and it's the only level where I had the "there's nothing down there" feeling.And the music from the plane area is so beautiful and sad,I remember just staying there to listen it.:D
Replaying Legend over the last couple of days, Nepal was the only level I really enjoyed. I agree with b0bb13, it is very similar to TR2's Tibet levels (even if those levels were better), what with the snow and the monastery.
TR2's Tibet was in a class in itself :jmp: - but anything that even tries to emulate it has to be interesting. :D

Edit: Oh wait! The Manor gold secret totally pwns all the gold secrets in the main game! I almost forgot about that :p
Ooh, that was the best gold secret. :D And I loved the way Croft Manor was set up too - you could explore it all without having to bother about the secrets, but if you did get all the secrets, it was even more interesting. Also, it was pretty non-linear - see, CD can make non-linear levels. ;)

RAID
15-05-09, 18:47
Bolivia - Tiwanaku

Reggie
15-05-09, 18:49
No, you're thinking of either Ghana or England. In Ghana, Lara loses contact with Zip and Alister, and although she keeps saying "Zip, Alister, are you there?" for the rest of the level, there is also a bug which causes the headset to go silent at that point. In England, she also loses contact with them and nobody speaks for the rest of the level.

Having said that, I don't think the headset was used as much in Nepal as in other levels.:)

That would partly be why I prefer Ghana and Nepal more than the other levels then. What actually made Legend so annoying was the constant chatter, the simplicity, the needless ICs, bad combat system and painful linearity. I'm so glad that's all gone now for the most part. :)

Gabi
15-05-09, 19:09
Since the ending credits could not be chosen, I went with Ghana.
:vlol:

I have only played the whole game once (after it was released), therefore I do not remember the individual levels very vividly, but the one that stuck in my mind as being at least a bit pleasurable is England, so I'll go with this one.

michaeldt
15-05-09, 19:17
Nepal

Verdilet
15-05-09, 19:17
I expected that too, but looks like Ghana is edging it out.

Although England seems to be catching up now, after an admittedly slow start.;)

Cloe Christina
15-05-09, 19:29
I voted for japan...i loved legend and japan was one of the best for me...it was hard to vote between england and japan though...

Cristina
15-05-09, 19:31
I voted for ghana to be the most natural and beautiful level,it has a lot of vegetation and a stunnig whater effects,even better in next gen(current) and it has a lot of traps and puzzles, it feels so tomb raider!:)
I loved Nepal too but i think ghana win the cake!:D

FinalRequiem
15-05-09, 21:03
Ghana

Had beautiful scenery, and one of the most "Tomb Raider" feeling levels in the whole game to me :)

Raider969
15-05-09, 21:09
I voted for Japan. :)

adventurerLara
15-05-09, 21:15
Ghana:tmb:

DeadlyDouble
15-05-09, 21:30
I voted for England. It was a tough choice between England, Japan, and Ghana. :D I like fighting the snake monster for some reason :)

Blackmoor
15-05-09, 23:29
England is the only level with any sense of intrigue and wit for me. Much better than the other levels, apart from Nepal - but that's too short.

crazyraider147
16-05-09, 02:52
Japan was loads of fun even though it was kinda short but eh.:pi:

AlexStark7
16-05-09, 04:51
I voted for Japan, I just can't resist that outfit *-*, besides, that's the level who told me "c'mon, let's finish all the others" xD

marla_biggs
16-05-09, 15:07
it was tough choosing between england and nepal, but i went england since it's longer and i like the level concept

they're both GREASH though:cln:

scion89
16-05-09, 15:52
Despite its shortness, My fave is Nepal.

tonyme
16-05-09, 17:10
Ghana :tmb:

Ward Dragon
16-05-09, 19:21
Oh bloody hell, we're going to have another run-off, aren't we? :p

Verdilet
16-05-09, 19:36
^ Lol.:p Although it's worth noting that Ghana has (I think) stayed in the lead since the beginning.:)

Love2Raid
16-05-09, 22:29
Hmm, I had to decide between Ghana, England and Kazachstan. Ghana is such a beautiful level, wonderful cutscene when the entrance to the temple gets revealed. And it even has puzzles! :eek:

England was soooo atmospheric, really 'dark', goth. Nice boss battle too. But...it was too damn short! :/

I am surprised to see only a few people voted for Kazachstan. It is a very cool and probably the longest level (mostly due to the bike part but still..). I think it is also the toughest level, or better, the least easy one of the game. It has nice traps in the form of electric wires and toxic gas. But I don't think it stands a chance in this competition. Probably because it is not that 'Tomb Raiderish'.

No way I am going to let Japan win this! It is a nice level, but not that impressive. :eek:

So Ghana it is! :p

Seth94
16-05-09, 23:11
^ Lol.:p Although it's worth noting that Ghana has (I think) stayed in the lead since the beginning.:)

That doesn't mean a thing! :p People that liked levels other than Ghana might not have voted, and if they had, Ghana would not have been in the lead since the beginning. ;)

Eddie Haskell
16-05-09, 23:16
That doesn't mean a thing! :p People that liked levels other than Ghana might not have voted, and if they had, Ghana would not have been in the lead since the beginning. ;)

It doesn't matter much anyway, any winning level out of this game will come in last in the final poll... ;)

Seth94
16-05-09, 23:21
It doesn't matter much anyway, any winning level out of this game will come in last in the final poll... ;)

What are you saying? The Legend levels aren't good enough to compete? :confused: I think Legend has two or three of the best ever tomb raider levels. ;)

hera7days
16-05-09, 23:25
I am surprised to see only a few people voted for Kazachstan. It is a very cool and probably the longest level (mostly due to the bike part but still..). I think it is also the toughest level, or better, the least easy one of the game. It has nice traps in the form of electric wires and toxic gas. But I don't think it stands a chance in this competition. Probably because it is not that 'Tomb Raiderish'.
I wanted so badly to vote for Kazakhstan, A lot of it is awesome. I agree, the traps totally rock; they're rather interesting. Plus, it has great music and the atmosphere is seriously creepy! Oh, and we get to see Amanda in her sexy winter gear. :cln:

But then, of course, a large part of it is the bike ride. Ugh. I didn't feel right voting for a level that I normally skip a very large part of, so I voted for Ghana.

Reggie
16-05-09, 23:26
I think it would be an underestimation of Legend's popularity here at TRF to say its winning level will come last in the final poll. TRC could get fewer votes...
Hmm...I'm not arguing in Legend's favour very well am I? :p

Ward Dragon
16-05-09, 23:30
I think it would be an underestimation of Legend's popularity here at TRF to say its winning level will come last in the final poll. TRC could get fewer votes...
Hmm...I'm not arguing in Legend's favour very well am I? :p

Nope, especially not when Gallow's Tree is the level from TR5 that will be in the poll :D

Reggie
16-05-09, 23:47
Good point. I just think that while TRL was an alright game, every single other TR game has better levels than Legend overall. At first I thought Eddie was being pessimistic but when you take a serious look at which levels have won so far and which ones are likely to win in the next two polls (probably St. Francis' Folly, TRA and Mexico/Thailand, TRU) then a level like Ghana will just get totally forgotten.

]{eith
17-05-09, 00:36
Ghana...And it even has puzzles! :eek:

:vlol:!!

Anyway, realistically speaking, Legend has a very tough battle ahead of it no matter what level wins when it's going to be up against the others. And in my personal opinion - no level from Legend deserves to go up against the likes of Temple Ruins and such.

Tony9595
17-05-09, 01:00
Aaaww :o

No one likes Bolivia - The looking glass :(

Ashnod
17-05-09, 01:09

There's nothing wrong it. It's fun to play that last fight. But we are judging it against all of the other levels, they certainly have more meat overall.

*PH*
17-05-09, 10:11

because its the same as level 1 but only one of the rooms

Bregtje
17-05-09, 10:20
Ghana, ofcourse :)

Mytly
17-05-09, 15:36
Good point. I just think that while TRL was an alright game, every single other TR game has better levels than Legend overall. At first I thought Eddie was being pessimistic but when you take a serious look at which levels have won so far and which ones are likely to win in the next two polls (probably St. Francis' Folly, TRA and Mexico/Thailand, TRU) then a level like Ghana will just get totally forgotten.
You're right. Legend doesn't have particularly bad levels, as such, but compared to the best levels in the rest of the TRs, none of its levels can hold a candle. Especially not Ghana, which IMO, was a rather mediocre level. The outdoor areas were unbelievably pretty, of course, but the interior of the temple was riddled with boring, identical dark corridors. :(

MadCroy101
17-05-09, 15:43
England, definatly.

TombRaiderCool
17-05-09, 16:04
It was a tough choice; while most of Legend's level were short and easy, I did find most of them enjoyable. Well, the Tokyo level gets my vote, it might not be original but it was very enjoyable scaling a skyscraper! :D

Endow
17-05-09, 20:23
I voted Nepal.

ThatNorskChick
17-05-09, 20:43
It was between Nepal and England for me, but I went with England.

SLAYER
17-05-09, 21:18
ghana, the best level in legend

Camera Obscura
17-05-09, 22:01
I actually found Nepal to be a very beautiful level so I voted for that one. :)

Super Badnik
17-05-09, 22:20
England. I know that it's still kinda linear like all the levels, but it's so a Tomb Raider level.

rowanlim
18-05-09, 03:56
I voted for Peru, my sis liked that over Ghana :D

TRexbait
18-05-09, 05:09
I felt that Kind Arthur's Tomb? was the hardest and most "tombraidery" level. It was close with Ghana.

Ward Dragon
18-05-09, 06:28
Well, it looks like there will be another run-off. I'm contemplating whether to take the top three or to include the fourth one as well.

disneyprincess20
18-05-09, 08:25
Well, it looks like there will be another run-off. I'm contemplating whether to take the top three or to include the fourth one as well.

With 4 levels, that'll be half of the game!

Eddie Haskell
18-05-09, 11:58

...and it's a big waste of time anyway. ;)

Ward Dragon
19-05-09, 06:56

Yeah, I went away and now that I've returned Ghana has a big enough lead that I'm only going to include Ghana and England in the run-off.