PDA

View Full Version : Star wars!

Nenya awakens
16-05-09, 14:35
A bit of a random thread but im interested in knowing what old school fans of the original trilogy thought of the Newish prequels.

where they as good?

Personally the only thing i liked about TPM was Queen Amidala,
i really disliked TCW, i found it very bland and boring.
but i did however really enjoy revenge of the sith!! i actually enjoyed that as much as i liked Rotj!

discuss!

silver_wolf
16-05-09, 14:38
I think the prequels have a good story that could have been told a lot better. Better acting, for one. Still, I'm grateful for kick-ass lightsaber dueling and Darth Maul.

SGRaider
16-05-09, 14:45
In my family we are huge fans of SW and I basically know it by hearth. I liked the new episodes, but not as much as the older ones. I have to say that the only thing I liked about Episode II was that Ewan McGregor was in it. I liked Ep III, but not nearly as much as The Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

Ikas90
16-05-09, 14:53
I love all the Star Wars movies, and ROTS and ROTJ are definitely my favourite episodes.

It's hard to say which is better out of the sequels and prequels though.

Nenya awakens
16-05-09, 14:58
yeah, my two favs are ROTS and ROTJ aswell!

Lara Croft!
16-05-09, 15:02
I absolutely love Star Wars!!!!

Shark_Blade
16-05-09, 15:11
I think The Phantom Menace is the best in the series.

You have:

- Darth Maul - agile, dangerous and demonic looking sith. Just look at him go in battle! :cln: Darth Vader eat your heart out!
- Queen Amidala - Looks like Chinese/Japanese style + modern sci-fi. Her acting is topnotch as well.
- Anakin - adorable little guy, his acting is enjoyable. :D
- Qui Gon Jinn - every words this actor spoke, there seems to be so much wisdom in it. Great actor, I'm absolutely immersed.

The Clone War and ROTS - well...I hate Anakin's actor - can't remember his name as well, his acting is not to my liking so all were ruined for me. The story is mediocre as well. Just feel like hitting him with a frying pan over and over again.

The classics are alright, I like RotJ the best. It annoyed me that they edited the new version of ghost Anakin to the new actor Anakin in the ending. Bah! :rolleyes:

Dennis's Mom
16-05-09, 15:17
The new movies just don't do it for me, aside from Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor, the casting was abyssmal. I was well and truly squicked by Anakin growing up to be with Padme. They should have cast someone at least 13. I have never like Natalie Portman, and watching Samuel L. Jackson be so fricking BORING was a crime.

Failure to let someone else write the final scripts was a problem. George Lucas does not write good dialogue. There's a reason Episode V is the best--Leigh Brackett wrote the final script (even cribbing a bit from Gone with the Wind.)

The special effects, the battles, the music were there. I confess to getting teary eyed at the slaughter of the Jedi. But overall, had it not been "Star Wars" I probably wouldn't have cared.

silver_wolf
16-05-09, 15:28
Well, with the acting, I don't think you can put all the blame on the actors. It's not very easy to act well when you're standing in a blue room looking at a tennis ball on a stick with George Lucas telling you it's a big alien for most of the movie.

Shark_Blade
16-05-09, 15:29
Funny I don't feel a thing during the slaughtering of the Jedis. :pi:

Benguitar
16-05-09, 15:41
"I've got a bad feeling about this..." :pi:

:p

If anyone has played the LucasARTS game "Frac/ture" you'll find it is VERY much like Star Wars.

My thoughts on the movies-

I personally liked the new trilogy more because those are the movies I grew up seeing in theaters. I love the old movies but the new ones are special to me because I remember in 1999 (I was 7 years old) going to see "STAR WARS EPISODE I" in theaters. :)

Aphrodite22
16-05-09, 17:44
i loveee em!! :D revenge of the sith is the best one then comes attack of the clones.. its pretty good imo

about the old movies i cant talk too much since ive only seen a few ones and i dont remember the names..

i prefer the new ones :whi:

Lara's Nemesis
16-05-09, 18:33
I've always been a big fan of Star Wars. Don't really like any of the prequels tho. The original 3 had some kind of magic about them that was always going to be hard to reproduce. I prefer the old style special effects as well. Chewbacca wasn't in them much either.:(

Most of the actors were relatively unknown when the 1st Star Wars came out. Don't think it really worked getting in big name stars for the newer films.

Best to worst

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Return of the Jedi
Return of the Sith
Clone Wars
Phantom Menace (Jah Jah Binks:mad:)

Was having a quick look for a Chewbacca video and found this. :vlol:

vecj1Zm2Es8

Lara Croft!
16-05-09, 19:01
I even have a T-shirt of me and Panos as Jedi Masters!:D Poorly Photoshopped though...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f319/Lora160687/Lora/PJediLFinal.jpg

Lara's Nemesis
16-05-09, 19:03
^

Cool, I like it. :D

Dennis's Mom
17-05-09, 13:36
Well, with the acting, I don't think you can put all the blame on the actors. It's not very easy to act well when you're standing in a blue room looking at a tennis ball on a stick with George Lucas telling you it's a big alien for most of the movie.

Should be no different than acting on a stage with the audience 3 feet from you.

George really should have let more people in on the process. Someone else should have directed and someone else should have done the final scripts. I know he was trying to keep it all a Big Secret, but I think that too was a mistake.

digitizedboy
17-05-09, 13:48
Me personally, I love and hate Star Wars. Return of the Jedi wasn't all that cracked up to be. I didn't like it appart from the canteena battle and the final duel. The Ewoks really made my blood boil. But we're talking about the prequels here right? Well, I guess I would say ROTS is the best because of its intensity and how the story folded out more, not to mention the great duel between Obi Wan and Anakin towards the climax of the movie.

I must say though, that Darth Maul was an awesome character, it was sad to see him killed off so early. He was the best thing about Phantom Menace IMO.

voltz
17-05-09, 16:04
Maul was the only thing going for that movie, the rest was made for kids. (facepalm)

I'm kind of upset over the prequels because Lucas changed the way he was trying to piece it together via storyboarding rather then writing a script. His excuse? It gives him a headache.

Then how did the first film end up being good? :hea:

Lee croft
17-05-09, 16:09
Funny I don't feel a thing during the slaughtering of the Jedis. :pi:

welcome to the dark side

voltz
17-05-09, 16:16
I felt the presence... of many nerds screaming in terror...

irjudd
17-05-09, 16:24
I'd say the "new trilogy" means more to me than the "old trilogy" simply because I was still a kid playing with Legos when the old trilogy was the big awesome thing. But I was old enough to care about new movies when the new trilogy came out.

Lee croft
17-05-09, 16:34
i used to like this but not any more.

Nenya awakens
17-05-09, 16:36
i used to like this but not any more.

care to give a reason as to why that is?

Lee croft
17-05-09, 16:54
care to give a reason as to why that is?

i dont know i just think some things about it are abit silly and they take it soo seriously "anikin you will join the darkside!!" i burst out laughing maybe if im in a mood for a comedy i'll watch it i love making fun of it :p

voltz
17-05-09, 17:02
Going into the prequel was more about galactic knights swinging LAZOR SWORDZ all over the place. Going back to episode IV and beyond actually feels proper and more rooted to the concept.

Elessar87
17-05-09, 21:52
I LOVE the old trilogy. The new one...not so much. It just seemed too aimed at children with the whole Jar-Jar Binks thing in Phantom Menace and some other scenes in the other two. AotC was very dull, I nearly fall asleep every time. And the love story was so contrived I just want to gag every time I watch that movie. The whole thing is also very creepy, imo since Anakin was so young in the first movie, Padme having his children later when he himself was a child when she met him just seems really wrong. They should have a cast an older actor in the first one, perhaps make him a teenager in stead of a child and it would have made more sense + eliminated (some of) the gag factor.

The best movie in the new trilogy by far is Revenge of the Sith. It's such an epic tragedy, it evokes so much emotion, despite the fact that the acting isn't always top notch. I love Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan. He was particularly good in RotS. Every line was perfectly delivered and he did an excellent job in his fight sequences, especially in the epic final fight against Anakin which will always be my favorite Star Wars battle of all time. You just know how it's going to end, yet watching it all unfold is so powerful. I think it was brillantly done.

May favorite movie in the original trilogy is A New Hope followed closely by the Empire Strikes Back. I love watching Luke's story begin and meeting all the classic characters in the beginning of their journeys which is why Ep. 4 is my favorite of the original trilogy. But Ep.5 was the best written (love the dialouge) and the famous scene where Darth Vader reveals his true identity to Luke is such a classic it's pretty much tied with Ep. 4 for my favorite movie of the original trilogy. Maybe it's just a little behind #4.

@Nenya awakens: Thanks for starting this thread! I'm such a huge Star Wars fan and I love hearing what other people think about one of my favorite series of all time. :D

Shark_Blade
18-05-09, 02:04
i dont know i just think some things about it are abit silly and they take it soo seriously "anikin you will join the darkside!!" i burst out laughing maybe if im in a mood for a comedy i'll watch it i love making fun of it :pI cringe at that part, really. And then Anakin bows and get down on his knees, like he's saying 'Yess master...' lmao. So cliche.

I think George Lucas simply lost his touch. Same goes with Steven Spielberg, his latest Indiana Jones was mediocre.

Same goes with tomb raider. *Sigh* :oGood things never last do they. We can cherish the good in the past and move on to better things.

voltz
18-05-09, 02:36
Stale characters is what the new ones were all about. Total lack of emotion or any real build of character, it's not like you grow to care about them in the long run.

SGRaider
18-05-09, 08:01
Elessar87, you said so many thing that I agree with, although I have to say that I liked Jar Jar the first time i saw the movie (maybe because I was 6 or 7, I don't remember :whi:). I absolutely agree with you opinion about RotS, I love Ewan McGregror! :D As for the first two I actually fell asleep in the cinema when I was watching AotC with my parents. Phantom Menace had it's good moments like the battle with Darth Maul and the character himself and generally it was a good movie.
Shark_Blade I hated it too when in RotJ they changed the old Anakin actor.

Rileigh
18-05-09, 08:14
Elassar 87: As for the point about the age.. in TPM Anakin was 9, and Padmé was 14, it's not that big an age difference.

For me, I don't feel I'm at liberty to decide there is any of the movies I don't like. When the new trilogy came out I was so excited, and although AotC was a little disappointing, I love it none the less. RotS I think is probably my favourite though I cry everytime.
And the original films.....gosh I love them so much :cln:

Dia2blo
18-05-09, 11:34
I cringe at that part, really. And then Anakin bows and get down on his knees, like he's saying 'Yess master...' lmao. So cliche.

I think George Lucas simply lost his touch. Same goes with Steven Spielberg, his latest Indiana Jones was mediocre.

Same goes with tomb raider. *Sigh* :oGood things never last do they. We can cherish the good in the past and move on to better things.

See, i thought that those characters in episode 3 just had a bad case of poor acting, but after watching it closely, i think they were meant to act like that- it just makes anakin and palpatine seem more mentally disturbed. I mean, just compare anakin to episode 2 and you will see what i mean.

Personally though, i love all the star wars films, even though episode 1 and 2 are a bit erm boring if you like, episode 3 takes the cake. It's an epic, emotional film, at least give it that!

Also, i think a part of the newer films is ruined by the fact that you know what is going to happen- frankly, if i had no idea anakin was vader, i would have been shocked during that scene!

Lee croft
18-05-09, 11:41
Elassar 87: As for the point about the age.. in TPM Anakin was 9, and Padmé was 14, it's not that big an age difference.

For me, I don't feel I'm at liberty to decide there is any of the movies I don't like. When the new trilogy came out I was so excited, and although AotC was a little disappointing, I love it none the less. RotS I think is probably my favourite though I cry everytime.
And the original films.....gosh I love them so much :cln:

natalie portman played a 14 year old!?!?!

Nenya awakens
18-05-09, 11:46
I just couldnt feel any sympathy for any of the characters in the prequels, the acting from Hayden was just a nightmare.
even natalies acting just seemed without heart.

digitizedboy
18-05-09, 12:00
I just couldnt feel any sympathy for any of the characters in the prequels, the acting from Hayden was just a nightmare.
even natalies acting just seemed without heart.

Oh come on! Hayden was quite good in Revenge of the Sith. Granted, he's not the worlds greatest actor. But at least he made an effort. Just look at those facial expressions he pulls towards the end. lol

Dia2blo
18-05-09, 12:26
Oh come on! Hayden was quite good in Revenge of the Sith. Granted, he's not the worlds greatest actor. But at least he made an effort. Just look at those facial expressions he pulls towards the end. lol

Does no-one listen to me?

Just watch some of those scenes in episode 2. I found one on youtube, a good example is "They're like animals, and i slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!" thats at about 5:50 in the video :)

PvTrVOevoI8&feature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvTrVOevoI8&feature=related

Dennis's Mom
18-05-09, 12:32
natalie portman played a 14 year old!?!?!

Yeah, Naboo elected a fourteen year old queen. The concept was so whack it was ridiculous. No one elects a queen. At least call her something else like a grand poobah or something, and why on Naboo's green earth would you elect a hormone driven teen anyway?:tea: It was a Dumb Idea.

They can say Amidala was 14 all they want. She didn't look 14 and she didn't act 14. It was squicky.

Spong
18-05-09, 12:43
I'm 33 and was very much in amongst the Star Wars hype when the original movies were doing the rounds. But it all went over my head, all my mates had the toys and the figures and all that, but I never understood the fascination.
Roll forwards however many years and the new trilogy of prequels arrive. Because of my age, a lot of my friends are from the Star Wars generation and they were absolutely climbing the walls at the prospect of the new trilogy. But then the films came out and their opinions changed completely. I can't think of one friend that loved the original movies who has the same affection for the new ones. They all hated them and said they pretty much ruined the original trilogy and tarnished the memory of something they once thought was so great.

As for me, I actually watched all 6 films for the first time last year (my mates forced me into watching them after we had a discussion similar to what this thread's about). I have to say I was still completely indifferent about them, yeah they were a good bit of sci-fi I suppose, but I've seen much better. Whatever it is that enchanted so many people was still lost on me. The original three were actually kind of laughable in that they seemed so poorly made on every level. The new trilogy was the complete opposite, they may as well have been entirely CGI for the amount of live action in them.
I will say this though, the new trilogy also had a sense that hey were kids films, the original three didn't have that, despite the terrible production they seemed more mature.

Dia2blo
18-05-09, 13:24
^ You have to give the oldies some credit, they were made in the 70s!

Spong
18-05-09, 14:05
^I'm not saying the original Star Wars trilogy is crap, sorry if that's how it came across. I'd certainly say they're superior to the new films when it comes to the story (the most important aspect in my view). The story seemed complete in the originals and really didn't need the prequels to explain who did what to who.

Actually, I mentioned this thread while on the phone to a friend an hour ago (he's a big, big BIG Star Wars fan) and he described episodes one to three as "a jumped up firework display of a toy commercial".

tranniversary119
18-05-09, 14:12
I liked all of them :wve: The new ones were badly acted with good special effects..they were okay though.

SoulReaver74
18-05-09, 15:22
For me the Empire Strikes Back is the crowning glory of this amazing franchise, but refering to the prequel's, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and a CGI Yoda exempt, the acting was very poor to be honest and i'm being kind when i say this but as far as SFX and musical score are concerened, now they where impresive, pretty much what you would expect from a Star wars movie. :)

Megalith
18-05-09, 15:42
The prequels nearly destroyed my childhood love of episodes IV-VI.Actually i have come to the conclusion that Lucas is an awful screenwriter and an average director who was lucky enough (since the first film) to be surrounded by extremely talented people.

Encore
18-05-09, 17:25
I loved Episode III and I think it's my favourite one (at least it's tied with Episode V). It made me wonder what the whole series would be like if Lucas had mantained that more serious tone all the time, instead of lighting things up with childish bits like the ewoks or the gungans.

Plus, one big advantage of Episode III was that it was finnally the end of the prequels: it was a relief that we didn't have to put up with the annoying whining fans crying about every little detail each time a new movie came out. :rolleyes: Star Wars has by far one of the most obnoxious fanbases in the world.

Elessar87
19-05-09, 09:16
Elessar 87: As for the point about the age.. in TPM Anakin was 9, and Padmé was 14, it's not that big an age difference.

Really? I didn't know that. She seemed MUCH older than that to me. Like in her 20's while Anakin was clearly a 9 year old. How old was Natalie when they were filming Phantom Menace?

Yeah, Naboo elected a fourteen year old queen. The concept was so whack it was ridiculous. No one elects a queen. At least call her something else like a grand poobah or something, and why on Naboo's green earth would you elect a hormone driven teen anyway?:tea: It was a Dumb Idea.

They can say Amidala was 14 all they want. She didn't look 14 and she didn't act 14. It was squicky.

Exactly. I always thought it was odd to say the least to have an elected Queen (which is really no better than a president). And it seems especially illogical to elect a 14 year old to make important decisions like how to handle the government of an entire planet. You'd think somebody would realize that's maybe not the brightest move.

I agree that Natalie didn't look or act 14. If Rileigh hadn't posted it I would have never known.

Elessar87, you said so many thing that I agree with, although I have to say that I liked Jar Jar the first time i saw the movie (maybe because I was 6 or 7, I don't remember :whi:). I absolutely agree with you opinion about RotS, I love Ewan McGregror! :D As for the first two I actually fell asleep in the cinema when I was watching AotC with my parents. Phantom Menace had it's good moments like the battle with Darth Maul and the character himself and generally it was a good movie.
Shark_Blade I hated it too when in RotJ they changed the old Anakin actor.

Why thank you. :D

I can't believe you actually fell asleep at the theater! :vlol: I'm always on the verge of falling alseep when I watch that movie, but so far I've never actually lol.

scoopy_loopy
19-05-09, 12:40
I hate Anikin in Episode 2; he was uncomfortable to watch - so awkward and brooding and just yeuch.

It wasnt very attractive.

Padme will always be my favourite character though :D