PDA

View Full Version : Gay Rights Protesters arrested in Moscow just before Eurovision

Super Badnik
16-05-09, 19:30
Just heard this on the radio. Gay rights protesters in Moscow were arrested by police, i can't remember how many it was but it was quite a lot i think. Human rights groups were upset since Eurovision is supposed be about cultures coming together rather than discrimination. So i personally think it's dumbass of Russia to try and block Gay people. Any thoughts?

remote91
16-05-09, 19:31
Just before the Eurovision?!

Poor gays, I hope they have a TV in prison.

LaraLuvrrr
16-05-09, 19:32
The Russian police is always trying to break up gay rights protests and stuff... So I think its the Russians

TRfan23
16-05-09, 19:34
I thought Russia had gay rights? But doesn't surprise me considering they're supposedly years behind most other countries due to how big it is. Well that's sad :(

Linkie - http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCATRE54654020090507

This is life...

ShadyCroft
16-05-09, 19:38
These things don't surprise me anymore. I'd love to write more, but am just too tired, so I'll just play along.

Yes, yes, I agree, we're satanists, we worship the devil !! We are bad and evil and target little kiddies !

Nenya awakens
16-05-09, 19:39

lol! of all the things you could have said! :p

XBOXCroft
16-05-09, 19:46
Very. unfair. :(. And it's by Eurovision time. What gives? Give them a chance to be gay. Even for Eurovision. Where all people unite. o_o

ShadyCroft
16-05-09, 19:55
Very. unfair. . And it's by Eurovision time. What gives? Give them a chance to be gay. Even for Eurovision. Where all people unite. o_o

hmmm, I think its high time for me to check the Eurovision thread and know what that is.

irjudd
16-05-09, 21:35
What were they protesting?

Goose
16-05-09, 21:51
Its not like there banning gays, russian police will arrest anyone for any protest.

Rai
16-05-09, 21:56
How ironic, Gay Rights Protesters getting arrested right before one of the campest shows on TV.

trXD
16-05-09, 22:06
Im all for gay rights but this has nothing to do with that.

Anyone who protests should expect to get arrested.

Catapharact
16-05-09, 22:11

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif.... LMAO! Strike one up for peaceful protests and freedom of speech huh ;)?

Super Badnik
16-05-09, 22:22
How ironic, Gay Rights Protesters getting arrested right before one of the campest shows on TV.I know:p

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif.... LMAO! Strike one up for peaceful protests and freedom of speech huh ;)?Yeah, obviusoly they are upset about how they have been treated for their sexuality. Unless their commiting crimes to do this protesting, then i feel they really do not deserve to be silenced.

TRhalloween
16-05-09, 22:23
Just terrible.

How ironic, Gay Rights Protesters getting arrested right before one of the campest shows on TV.

:vlol:

trXD
16-05-09, 22:29
Yeah, obviusoly they are upset about how they have been treated for their sexuality. Unless their commiting crimes to do this protesting, then i feel they really do not deserve to be silenced.

They are, that was my point.

Catapharact
16-05-09, 22:32

And the crime would be...? There were protests in Russia in the past concerning anything and everything from Scientology to media language regulations and the police didn't interfere with that. What makes this protest any different?

larafan25
16-05-09, 22:32
can someone fill me on on what Eurovision is????does it have something to do wtih fashion??:)

EmeraldFields
16-05-09, 22:34

According this (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i5M1vDF689E31TZmvszqx5TlUHKA) and this (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/world/europe/17russia.html?ref=global-home) they weren't.

Catapharact
16-05-09, 22:35
can someone fill me on on what Eurovision is????does it have something to do wtih fashion??:)

Think American Idol type singing show; Only on a more grander scale. Basically you have mediocre cruddy singers from numerious European countries competiting in a lame orchestrated joke of a show all bidding to be called the next Euro Idol of sorts.

Rai
16-05-09, 22:36

The Eurovision Song Contest and what Catapharact said. :)

larafan25
16-05-09, 22:43
^sounds like a good watch:)

wonder why the gay protesters chose to go there:)

Lemmie
16-05-09, 22:53
Think American Idol type singing show; Only on a more grander scale. Basically you have mediocre cruddy singers from numerious European countries competiting in a lame orchestrated joke of a show all bidding to be called the next Euro Idol of sorts.

Ahahaha.

NO.

It's more like the Olympics. But with singing. And only in Europe (but the definition seems to be growing every year).

Punaxe
16-05-09, 23:12
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif.... LMAO! Strike one up for peaceful protests and freedom of speech huh ;)?

This makes you laugh, why?

Ahahaha.

NO.

It's more like the Olympics. But with singing. And only in Europe (but the definition seems to be growing every year).

To be precise it's not for Europe, but for members of the European Broadcasting Union :tmb:

Lemmie
16-05-09, 23:13
To be precise it's not for Europe, but for members of the European Broadcasting Union :tmb:

Ah. That would explain it, thanks. :)

Nannonxyay
16-05-09, 23:24
Im all for gay rights but this has nothing to do with that.

Are you actually kidding me?

They weren't causing any harm, what-so-ever. People have a right to voice their opinions. It's called freedom of speech.

Catapharact
16-05-09, 23:30
This makes you laugh, why?

The irony being that most of the given members of this forum continue to preach on the importance of free speech, the importance of rights, etc. etc. but then when you read responses like this, one can't help but laugh at the slight turn around in mindset and perspectives.

Ahhhh... Life; More entertaining then any given show cooked up by the media :D.

Punaxe
16-05-09, 23:38
The irony being that most of the given members of this forum continue to preach on the importance of free speech, the importance of rights, etc. etc. but then when you read responses like this, one can't help but laugh at the slight turn around in mindset and perspectives.

Ahhhh... Life; More entertaining then any given show cooked up by the media :D.

Hmm I didn't read it as such. I thought trXD was merely stating Moscow's opinion on the matter, not his own.

I don't know Moscow's official reason, but the right to protest can be denied, for example when safety becomes an issue. As we have seen from previous GLBT parades held in the city, problems could definitely be expected.

When it is prohibited, it is prohibited. Why it was prohibited, or needed to be, is the real issue.

Catapharact
16-05-09, 23:42
Hmm I didn't read it as such. I thought trXD was merely stating Moscow's opinion on the matter, not his own.

I don't know Moscow's official reason, but the right to protest can be denied, for example when safety becomes an issue. As we have seen from previous GLBT parades held in the city, problems could definitely be expected.

When it is prohibited, it is prohibited. Why it was prohibited, or needed to be, is the real problem.

The right to protest can only be denied by Moscow if it somehow constitutes as civil distruptions.

Were the protestors blocking any major highways or routes?

- Nope.

Were the protestors engaging in any behavior constituting as civil disturbance? (i.e. Loud music, abuse, assault, etc.)

- Nope.

Was the given protest unauthorized?

- Yes but the law for public gathering still gurantees peaceful protests so long as they don't interfere with civil activities. The protestors weren't engaging in anything violent or abusive.

Punaxe
17-05-09, 00:01
I am no lawyer, but I am fairly certain that if disturbance of the public order can be reasonably expected, things such as gatherings and protests can be forbidden. See for example the very strict regulations that are in effect when fans of two rivalling soccer teams can be expected to meet.
Whether or not the protesters would be the ones to initiate such a disturbance or only be the cause of it indirectly, makes no difference in the keeping of public order.

Catapharact
17-05-09, 00:11
But the law for public gathering still gurantees the right to protest; Only if the crowd shows signs of "plausible violent and distruptive" behavior, can the authorities interefere. Was this given protest situation under the category of possible "escilation threat?" Given the points I posted and how the crowd was behaving during this given protest, I highly doubt it. Given past protests including those of the fierce opposition to a bill supporting the funding for Scientology related modes of thoughts for instance were given free reign and they actually had more of a chance of escilating out of control given the threatning chants of the crowds.

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-05-09, 00:14
Its not like there banning gays, russian police will arrest anyone for any protest.

Exactly.

Had it been some other protesting group, I don't think many people would have complained, but since they're gay protesters, all hell has broken loose.

Protesting really needs to be civil, you're not going to accomplish anything by standing around screaming and holding signs, really. Not to say that it's what they were doing, but being as they were kicked out, it's what one might assume.

trXD
17-05-09, 00:14
Sorry guys i didnt realise the protest was as easygoing as it was. I assumed the police has proper reason for doing this.

Yeah this is pretty messed up then.

Mokono
17-05-09, 00:15
I haven't read the whole thread, but it looks like someone's trying to make this look like an homophobic measure. I think that they where locked up, because of having chosen the wrong time to protest. Obviously, Russia is not willing to be looked as a boisterous country to the rest of Europe, wich is pointless after this...

Catapharact
17-05-09, 00:17
Had it been some other protesting group, I don't think many people would have complained, but since they're gay protesters, all hell has broken loose.

You really have no idea as to what goes on during Russian protests do you ;).

There have been reports of Orthodox extremist groups and Neo Nazi groups in Russia kicking and punching civil gay rights protestors with the police just standing there and letting them get beaten up.

Yet all of a sudden during this given protest, where there were no civil disturbaces did the police decide to turn on the protestors... Hmmm... Curious.

irjudd
17-05-09, 00:19
I'd say they need to get jobs or something else better to do with their time.

Lemmie
17-05-09, 00:20

Oh, haven't you heard? It's a little more difficult to do that nowadays.

SamuelCroft
17-05-09, 00:32
I'm sure they have jobs, but felt the need to voice their opinion... I don't trust the media to shine it in a light favorable to the Russian police, so I can't know all the facts, but I still think it's wrong in general. :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-05-09, 00:52

Yeah, I agree. :vlol:

EmeraldFields
17-05-09, 00:56

I bet some said the same of civil rights protests as well.

violentblossom
17-05-09, 00:58
I bet some said the same of civil rights protests as well.

quite right.

irjudd
17-05-09, 01:11
That's probable :)

SamReeves
17-05-09, 01:51
Nothing is changing until this guy is gone!

http://i33.************/24g3yjd.jpg

EmeraldFields
17-05-09, 02:01
Nothing is changing until this guy is gone!

http://i33.************/24g3yjd.jpg

Is Putin still popular within Russia?

SamReeves
17-05-09, 02:01
Putin is running Russia!

Catapharact
17-05-09, 02:03
Is Putin still popular within Russia?

Putin isn't even the president. However his strong stance against the Russian Oligarchs, the media, and Russia's plasuible neighbouring opponents have made him... quite popular with a few groups.

EmeraldFields
17-05-09, 02:04
I knew that he is the Prime Minister, but I just wondered if the people still approved of him.

EDIT
Putin isn't even the president. However his strong stance against the Russian Oligarchs, the media, and Russia's plasuible neighbouring opponents have made him... quite popular with a few groups.

Thanks.:p

Encore
17-05-09, 02:07

And the actual president is probably a puppet of him anyway. I guess, there's no one with the same degree of charisma to challenge him...

Lemmie
17-05-09, 02:09
I imagine he is still quite a popular politician, even though he isn't President. In his two terms he quadrupled Russia's GDP after the slump in the late 90s.

Catapharact
17-05-09, 02:11
I guess, there's no one with the same degree of charisma to challenge him...

He is a Libra... What did you expect ;)?

SamReeves
17-05-09, 02:11
And the actual president is probably a puppet of him anyway. I guess, there's no one with the same degree of charisma to challenge him...

Exactly. It's scary, but Russia's quickly falling back to a Stalin like government. Once a KGB always a KGB.

Big Matt
17-05-09, 04:16
Come on, it's Russia. What do people expect? An encouraging pat on the back? A friendly smile and a warm handshake? When I was a kid growing up something like this wouldn't have even been news. Russian police arresting people for openly speaking their minds. At what point did such an ocurance become noteworthy? In half the places in this world saying what you think can get you imprisoned, tortured or, even killed. Russia has always been right up there at the top when it comes to oppressive governments. I know I'm one the moldy oldies on this forum but, man it hasn't been that long since the good old days of the Cold War when everyone on the face of the earth expected this kind of behavior out of Russia.

Even here in the USA, where we have our Bill Of Rights with first and second amendments that people take seriously, this sort of thing happens from time to time. When it happens in Russia, it just isn't news. This leads me to believe that, as others have said, it's likely not the fact that a protest was hit by the Russian police but, it is the nature of the protest itself that has caused this to be treated as news.

Anyway, as previously stated in this thread, with ol' KGB Putin as the puppet master it's business as usual in Russia. You're talking about a dude who assassinates his political opponents by slipping them a radioactive mickey. This guy is classic KGB.

Goose
17-05-09, 09:22
You really have no idea as to what goes on during Russian protests do you ;).

There have been reports of Orthodox extremist groups and Neo Nazi groups in Russia kicking and punching civil gay rights protestors with the police just standing there and letting them get beaten up.

Yet all of a sudden during this given protest, where there were no civil disturbaces did the police decide to turn on the protestors... Hmmm... Curious.

Its not curious at all, its just Russia, at what point in the last 80 odd years has Russia ever given off the vibe of being a great place to protest gay rights? If a March is unauthorized, then it doesn't happen, and if it does, your going to get a smack, especially by russians.

Just common sense to do it from elsewhere, using publicity to put weight on governments to later challenge Russia on it.

rowanlim
17-05-09, 09:28
I thought Eurovision was about music.

Goose
17-05-09, 09:33
I thought Eurovision was about music.

Yea but theres a large gay following, they felt the need to make there voices heard whilst the world was watching i guess. They told moscow they were going to March during Eurovision, and Moscow wouldnt sanction it, but they figured they would do it anyway, and are now acting shocked that Moscows very friendly riot police were there to meet them.

IceColdLaraCroft
17-05-09, 13:57
if you reverse the letters of the officers OMOH you get HOMO :vlol:

You can't have something like Eurovision in your city and NOT expect gays...silly Muscovites

BlackRainbow
17-05-09, 14:09
Oh =_=

Very mature, Russia. Very.

ajrich17901
17-05-09, 14:19
Well that has to suck, but they basic sense would be if your gonna potest over there your goin down lol so they brough it on themselves.

EgyptianSoul
17-05-09, 14:53
It's the same here. The gay community wanted to celebrate at the time of Eurovision but the parade got slammed down. Skinheads making threats and attacking the gays. Police beating them up and all that jazz.

It's just as screwed in my country.

mizuno_suisei
17-05-09, 15:36
Im suprised the Westboro Baptist Church didn't turn up xD

Vinkula
17-05-09, 15:50

Atlantisfreak666
17-05-09, 16:05
How unfair.
:(

Lol, I'm gay and I hate the Eurovision.

Im suprised the Westboro Baptist Church didn't turn up xD

El Oh El.

Mad Tony
17-05-09, 18:04
Lol, I'm gay and I hate the Eurovision.I'm straight and I hate Eurovision. Hmm, I see a pattern emerging here. Maybe Eurovision just sucks? :p

EgyptianSoul
17-05-09, 18:19
Fair competition has died in the Eurovision, it is corrupt.

Goose
17-05-09, 18:39
You can't have something like Eurovision in your city and NOT expect gays...silly Muscovites

They dont stop people at the airport and ask "are you gay? if so your not coming in", they werent stopping gays at all, and they didnt not expect them, they heard that some were going to start a march through Moscow, and told them to forget about it. But they marched anyway and got owned for it.

But in the end it just futhers there cause by getting people on the news really, which is probably what they wanted more then a peaceful walk through moscow.

Mona Sax
17-05-09, 18:45
Am I the only one that thinks it doesn't make a difference whether they were arrested for advertising gay rights or for protesting in general? Both should be an absolute non-issue in a modern, civilized country.

Catapharact
17-05-09, 18:46
they heard that some were going to start a march through Moscow, and told them to forget about it. But they marched anyway and got owned for it.

Then Moscow just violated their own law giving citizens rights for public gathering.

- Were they Distrupting civil activities?

No.

- Were they attacking anyone?

No.

Hence they had every right to march; It still guranteed by Russian law. Like I said, there have been unsanctioned demonstrations in Russia before like the March against the bill proposing Scientology funding and they were more likely to escilate towards violence given the nature of the slurs and and chats the crowd were shouting out.

No one stopped them :whi:.

Goose
17-05-09, 18:59
- Were they Distrupting civil activities?

No one stopped them :whi:.

Put simply, they intended to march through Moscow, which would disrupt public activities. The government said no, they did it anyway, get what everyone would expect Russian police to give them, they probably loved the media attention.

They were told No before they even arrived.

Catapharact
17-05-09, 19:02
Put simply, they intended to march through Moscow, which would disrupt public activities. The government said no, they did it anyway, get what everyone would expect Russian police to give them, they probably loved the media attention.

They were told No before they even arrived.

Then why weren't protests like the example I gave above weren't stopped when the given group marched all the way through the streets of Moscow to Moscow Red Square?

Goose
17-05-09, 19:05
Then why weren't protests like the example I gave above weren't stopped when the given group marched all the way through the streets of Moscow to Moscow Red Square?

Probably because there Russian first off, and secondly there not gay? After all it was a crime to be gay until 1993 in russia, and considered a mental illness until 1999. That basically means about 98% of people in Moscow consider it disgusting and dont want a part of it. Where as other marches they would better tolerate.

Im not saying its good, but a little common sense wouldn't hurt on the protesters part.

Elmer
17-05-09, 19:24
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood...

That's all I have to say about this... Gay right protests shouldn't even be nescesary in our world.
Human rights should be self-evident.

Mona Sax
17-05-09, 19:26
Probably because there Russian first off, and secondly there not gay? After all it was a crime to be gay until 1993 in russia, and considered a mental illness until 1999. That basically means about 98% of people in Moscow consider it disgusting and dont want a part of it. Where as other marches they would better tolerate.

Im not saying its good, but a little common sense wouldn't hurt on the protesters part.
'Might is right'? No thanks.

Goose
17-05-09, 19:41
'Might is right'? No thanks.

What do you mean?