PDA

View Full Version : The one TR level you want to erase from your brain

Lara Fan 4Life
16-05-09, 20:11
The one TR level you want to erase from your brain.
Pretty much what the title says, really. I won't go into too much detail. ;)

Tony9595
16-05-09, 20:12
Obelisk of Khamoon - TRA :mad:

TombRaiderLover
16-05-09, 20:15
Probably Floating Islands. A fun level, but too surreal in contrast to the rest of the game.

Honorable mention goes to the majority of the levels from TRA, which, though it was a pretty good game on its own, cut down considerably on many of the original game's greatest moments.

Explorer
16-05-09, 20:20
Like everyone I have my favorite and least favorite levels, but to be honest I can't say I would want to erase any level from my brain :p

Atlantisfreak666
16-05-09, 20:25
Every level in TRL and TRU.

TRhalloween
16-05-09, 20:26
The beginning level in AoD.

:}hello friend
16-05-09, 20:27
Hmmm... this is tough... probably... Deep Sea Dive from Chronicles...

Verdilet
16-05-09, 20:32
I wouldn't want to erase a level from my brain, necessarily, but my least favourite has to be Margot Carvier's Apartment. All it is, is an uninteresting cutscene and then a bit of fumbling around with Carvier's belongings, before exiting one of the shortest, least memorable levels in the history of short and unmemorable levels. You can't even make it last a bit longer by wandering around the apartment and examining Carvier's stuff. The designers have made sure of that, because you die if you don't finish the level in about 30 seconds.:rolleyes:

Edit: In response to what others have said, yes, Obelisk of Khamoon (TRA) is probably best forgotten. One of the most frustrating levels I've ever played, and it takes more luck than skill to get through it.

Floating Islands on the other hand, I'd never want to forget. It may be a bit strange, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.:)

VonCroy360
16-05-09, 20:35
Willowtree Herbalist. :vlol:

TRhalloween
16-05-09, 20:44
These AoD levels are quite pointless. Willowtree Herbalist, Margot Carvier's Apartment, Cafe Metro...

Lara Fan 4Life
16-05-09, 20:44
Floating Islands on the other hand, I'd never want to forget. It may be a bit strange, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.:)
I agree. It is a strange level that will be stuck in your mind after you play it. I also loved the colour green used throughout the level. Very strange, indeed. :D

Umm... I would want to forget the Hall of Seasons in Aod. Not the main part, but the platforming puzzle rooms. The Breath of Hades and Sanctuary of Flame. Not because they were bad, they were far from that, but because of the controls. Lara would take one jump and fall into the lava or off a pillar. :(

ShadyCroft
16-05-09, 20:53
Caves of Kaliya.

innocentvenus
16-05-09, 21:06
These AoD levels are quite pointless. Willowtree Herbalist, Margot Carvier's Apartment, Cafe Metro...

I agree with Carvier's apartment being a level, but Cafe Metro and the Herbalist are really just offshoots of the Parisian Streets.

The Great Pyrimind from TRA I would love to erase from my mine. It was by far the most frustrating level because of the grapple.

Nerd For Life
16-05-09, 21:45
The Great Pyramid, TRA.

Never again.

Johnnay
16-05-09, 22:38
Caves of Kaliya.

yes that level is sooooooo frustrating

Laralissa
16-05-09, 22:40
Willowtree Herbalist. :vlol:

That one was hard :(

:P

Im not sure... none of the newer games appealed to me (Legend, Underworld - Ill let Anniversary off, of course) so Id happily erase them altogether.

TRhalloween
16-05-09, 22:40
I agree with Carvier's apartment being a level, but Cafe Metro and the Herbalist are really just offshoots of the Parisian Streets.

I found it a little strange that they were seperate levels though.

The Great Pyrimind from TRA I would love to erase from my mine. It was by far the most frustrating level because of the grapple.
God, I hate that level so much. Such a chore

]{eith
16-05-09, 22:46
I found it a little strange that they were seperate levels though.

Probably to save on memory and so that the Parisian Ghetto doesn't take a half an hour to load with all the offshoots.

For me - either Deepsea Dive or Kazakhstan - can't decide.

Lemmie
16-05-09, 22:49
Interesting. A lot of people have said 'Obelisk of Khamoon' from TRA is the one they would want erased from their brains.

It took me some time to remember actually which level that was! :D

larafan25
16-05-09, 22:55
^I love that level:)

I would have to choose,tomb raider chronicles VCI levels:)

they just made me sooooo angry:)

Encore
17-05-09, 01:17
This pseudo level called "Adaman Sea" (I think that's the name). WTF WAS THE POINT OF THAT? :confused:

LaraLuvrrr
17-05-09, 01:19
The level in TRU where you have to change the water levels. I think it was called the midgard serpent or sumthin. That level had so many glitches i hated it!

]{eith
17-05-09, 01:20
This pseudo level called "Adaman Sea" (I think that's the name). WTF WAS THE POINT OF THAT? :confused:

Oh yeah! That one! I pick that one. I guess I'd supressed that one. :p

Tyrannosaurus
17-05-09, 03:06
These AoD levels are quite pointless. Willowtree Herbalist, Margot Carvier's Apartment, Cafe Metro...I really do wonder if that Herbalist guy was supposed to have a bigger role in the story. Or Rennes, for that matter.

Qualopek
17-05-09, 05:12
Mine would have to be TRA's Great Pyramid and TRC's deepsea dive. I dislike Lud's Gate, but not to the point where it would be removed.

AmericanAssassin
17-05-09, 05:22
I can honestly say that I've found elements from every TR level to be enjoyable. I don't want to erase any. :)

Little-Lara
17-05-09, 05:31
Im gonna go with how frustrated i was, and that was fighting Boaz in AOD. :hea:

:p

TombRaiderLover
17-05-09, 11:26
I really do wonder if that Herbalist guy was supposed to have a bigger role in the story. Or Rennes, for that matter.

I think the Herbalist guy was supposed to sell herbs for medical reasons, and Rennes would've sold items as well as bought them.

SamuelCroft
17-05-09, 11:35

Boaz.... I remember being stuck on that for EVER! thats my level.

Spong
17-05-09, 11:59
Every level in TRL and TRU.

I agree. But I especially hate Andaman Sea from Underworld, absolute shameless and lazy padding.

Verdilet
17-05-09, 12:05
Deepsea dive and Andaman Sea are also among my least favourites. Deepsea dive is just plain dull and annoying (the annoyance comes mostly fom the small submarines and swim back to the sub) and Andaman Sea is just a cheap rehash of what was already a bad level. It doesn't even make sense for Amanda to have two identical ships, and it makes even less sense for them both to have exactly the same objects on them in exactly the same places. It also seems a bit stupid how the mercenaries just appear out of nowhere, until you follow the blindingly obvious path to the end of the level.

Legends
17-05-09, 12:08
Every level with Kurtis.

SparkleCroft07
17-05-09, 12:09
The Boaz level in AOD and certain levels in Anniversay. Talk about bland and boring... -_-

Encore
17-05-09, 12:45

Oh I'd add that as well. It was literally the most frustrating level of all the series for me. I think that playing it with Kurtis made it so much worst. To be honest, that was also the only level I skipped with a cheat :pi:

Nerd For Life
17-05-09, 12:52
^I skipped too. :pi:

What's that second level in TRU that you have to escape the same ship again? Is that Andaman Sea? That was pointless as hell.

Nenya awakens
17-05-09, 13:04
Khazakstan!

my god was it dull, and that boss fight at the end drove me to drink!

Verdilet
17-05-09, 13:15
What's that second level in TRU that you have to escape the same ship again? Is that Andaman Sea? That was pointless as hell.

That's the one.

Spong
17-05-09, 13:16
It's good to see Andaman Sea getting the recognition it deserves.

tomblover
17-05-09, 13:20
I really do wonder if that Herbalist guy was supposed to have a bigger role in the story. Or Rennes, for that matter. According to what I've heard, you would have been able to buy medical items from him and stuff like that. :) And you could buy guns off Rennes. :)

Nerd For Life
17-05-09, 13:22
That's the one.

Thanks.

It's good to see Andaman Sea getting the recognition it deserves.

Indeed! It was so pointless.

Rai
17-05-09, 13:28
I'm going to go with my first thought when it comes to one that I'd rather not remember, but somehow can't forget no matter how hard I try: Floating Islands. It's just surreal and well, down right odd, imo. Did Lara take something before hand?:pi:

Other levels that just seem completely boring and pointless to me: Most of the Maria Doria especially all that rusty orangeness. Andaman Sea was a poor excuse for padding and made no sense. Anything with a feel to a maze in it makes me feel sick.

Tjw croft
17-05-09, 13:48
To remove from my brain?
I'd say... Guardian of Semerkhet, Or Cleopatra's palaces.
God! If there's one TR game I disliked, it was TRLR. I found it excessivley long, and it didn't travel enough.

And I'm still trying to understand why people dislike Amanda's boats. I loved them both.
Maybe that's just cause I'm one for ships of any kind.
Also, I didn't like the Young Lara levels: Cambodia(TRLR), and Ireland (TRC).

Verdilet
17-05-09, 13:55

And I'm still trying to understand why people dislike Amanda's boats. I loved them both.

Sorry, but you seem to have pretty much the opposite opinion to the rest of us. Both Guardian Of Semerkhet and Cleopatra's Palaces were classic TR; plenty to explore, lots of traps and they were very nice to look at. Amanda's boats, on the other hand... well, the first one was just a short, easy blastfest with a really obvious path to follow through the level. The next one was just an even shorter verion of the first, with any challenge taken away by the use of such a powerful weapon.

LaraCroftRox
17-05-09, 14:07
To remove from my brain?
God! If there's one TR game I disliked, it was TRLR. I found it excessivley long, and it didn't travel enough.

Maybe that's just cause I'm one for ships of any kind.
Also, I didn't like the Young Lara levels: Cambodia(TRLR), and Ireland (TRC).

...Last Revelation is the best!:yik::ohn:
Anyhoo, I hate all the levels with Kurtis.

Chocola teapot
17-05-09, 14:13
Temple of Khamoon TRA >> Oh my golly gumdrops.

ajrich17901
17-05-09, 14:15
Japan Levels from TRL, enough said.

Lee croft
17-05-09, 14:28
i dont like TR:4 (its the only one i dont like) but i wouldnt go as far as saying "i want to erase it from my mind"

mizuno_suisei
17-05-09, 14:30
TRU..I guess I can count it as one level because the game was the length of one.

But seriously, a single Level, would have to be Thailand from TRU. Totally useless and it missed the epic-ness that Crystal promised.

Beans-Bot
17-05-09, 14:46
Not that I want to be "that guy", but I'm gonna say most of TR:L

Some levels are decent (Nepal and England for example) but the whole game just has this sheen of "trendy hollywood summer flick"

Yuck.

Mokono
17-05-09, 14:54
I would say that one with the water pot combination on TLR. Like if i didn't get enough math in school back then.

Lara Fan 4Life
17-05-09, 15:00
But seriously, a single Level, would have to be Thailand from TRU. Totally useless and it missed the epic-ness that Crystal promised.
:eek: I thought Thailand was wonderful. One of my favourites from Underworld. Reminded me so much of TR3. :D

Vinkula
17-05-09, 15:10
Obelisk of Khamoon - TRA :mad:

I agree :mad:

mizuno_suisei
17-05-09, 15:11
:eek: I thought Thailand was wonderful. One of my favourites from Underworld. Reminded me so much of TR3. :D

Yes I do partly agree besides the TR3 similarity, but yes, it is probably the best level in TRU but it was the most useless in my opinion.

Lara Fan 4Life
17-05-09, 15:32
Yes I do partly agree besides the TR3 similarity
Just the look of the level reminded me of the first level in the TR3. Thats all. :)

Changeling
17-05-09, 15:34
Just the look of the level reminded me of the first level in the TR3. Thats all. :)

Same :D I thought it was the closest we'd had so far of a near Next Generation version of the India levels :)

As for me, I'd really love to erase TRC's Deepsea Dive from my memory. Good golly goshing gumdrops that was frustrating. :pi:

TRexbait
17-05-09, 22:59
The Deck TR2

I honestly don't know why i hate this level so much, i just know i do. Perhaps it's the flame-throwers, I'm not sure. The level just left a bad impression in my brain.

Super Badnik
17-05-09, 23:11
:eek: I thought Thailand was wonderful. One of my favourites from Underworld. Reminded me so much of TR3. :DI agree, i loved Thailand:D

SweetMaleficia
17-05-09, 23:13
Thailand wasn't totally useless; I used it to show my mother that yes, it WAS worth 'wasting my money' on my new HDTV. It's a gorgeous level.

Hmmm...I can't think of a level I despise...possibly Thames Wharf, because even though I've played it through enough times, I'm still not really sure...how you play the level. If that makes any sense.

Either that or Carvier's Apartment, because my game always crashed there >=/

Verdilet
18-05-09, 06:20
The Deck TR2

I honestly don't know why i hate this level so much, i just know i do. Perhaps it's the flame-throwers, I'm not sure. The level just left a bad impression in my brain.

I hated that level too, the first two or three times I played it. Now, however, it's one of my favourites, not just in TR2 but in the entire series. You never know, you might come to like it one day. :)

DickDan
18-05-09, 06:31
Any level that had spikes in them :P

Croft, Lara
18-05-09, 06:44
I would remove all the levels that didn't feel "Tomb Raider":

1) Amanda's boat levels (too James Bond!)

2) Japan (felt like a cheap excuse for Lara to wear nothing!)

3) Kurtis Levels (It was called LARA CROFT: Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness...so I want to play as Lara Croft!)

4) Train level from TRLR (too Indiana Jones!)

5) The Louvre from AOD (WHAT? I'm not Ethan Hunt!!!)

There are more but these ones stood out for me!

I don't however include the levels of TRC (submarine or VCI as TRC) is my fave game and I wouldn't change it what so ever!

Explorer
18-05-09, 07:20
Deepsea dive and Andaman Sea are also among my least favourites. Deepsea dive is just plain dull and annoying (the annoyance comes mostly fom the small submarines and swim back to the sub)

LOL at your description of Deepsea dive :vlol:

But anyway, your assessment clearly does not fit the facts as exhibited by my current signature :ton: ;)

young Lara Croft
18-05-09, 08:36
I want to erase all dull and uninteresting levels from TRU probably because of the dull graphics ! :(

SweetMaleficia
18-05-09, 09:33
I quite liked Amanda's boat levels. For the music. I wish the boats differed a bit though : (

SLAYER
18-05-09, 13:05
all the underwater levels from tr2, i found them really boring...

Brikas94
18-05-09, 15:56
Let's see...

All London levels from TR3...:mad: I just HATE them... the game would be so much better without them...

I can't think of anything else...

SweetMaleficia
18-05-09, 16:11
Let's see...

All London levels from TR3...:mad: I just HATE them... the game would be so much better without them...

I can't think of anything else...

What do you hate so much about them? They're usually so well received.

(I'm not saying this in a whole 'OMG YOU SUCK FOR NOT LIKING THEM!!!11' way, I'm just curious :3 )

Nemo_91
18-05-09, 16:19
TR3, Lud's Gate

I was stuck there for about...2 months?

merder
18-05-09, 16:26
i hated the tra St. Francis folly. they didn't just ruin it they completely destroyed anything good in it.

Phlip
18-05-09, 16:29
The TR5 Ireland levels.

Rai
18-05-09, 16:36
i hated the tra St. Francis folly. they didn't just ruin it they completely destroyed anything good in it.

Really? That surprises me. I found it really good. Some of the rooms were better in my opinion.

Verdilet
18-05-09, 17:06
But anyway, your assessment clearly does not fit the facts as exhibited by my current signature :ton: ;)

In that case, I can only suggest that your signature is exhibiting a different usage of the word landslide. Perhaps it's suggesting that Deepsea dive is so bad it deserves to be buried underneath a landslide? Or, more likely, that what Deepsea dive "won" was a poll to determine which level is so bad that playing it actually feels like you're drowning, slowly and painfully (although that probably wouldn't be a "landslide", as such; Lud's Gate would be a close second). ;)

You've got to be joking, right? The way I see it, they kept all the good areas and improved on the ones that weren't so good. Hell, they even improved on some that were good. :p

SweetMaleficia
18-05-09, 18:42
With the TRA St. Francis Folly, I do love the improved rooms. However, I find the middle structure incredibly annoying, especially getting to the switches and gates.

Whilst playing through it normally, I don't mind. It's a fun bit of exploration. However, when doing it through Time Trial...FFFF. It's almost as frustrating as Obelisk of Khamoon. ALMOST.

I think it's the non linearity of it. It wastes time if I climb to the bottom but realise the next switch is actually at the top.

But as a level altogether, possibly the best of TRA. Hell, the best of all of Crystal's games! (Except England in TRL - I adore that level)

Explorer
18-05-09, 19:21
In that case, I can only suggest that your signature is exhibiting a different usage of the word landslide. Perhaps it's suggesting that Deepsea dive is so bad it deserves to be buried underneath a landslide? Or, more likely, that what Deepsea dive "won" was a poll to determine which level is so bad that playing it actually feels like you're drowning, slowly and painfully (although that probably wouldn't be a "landslide", as such; Lud's Gate would be a close second). ;)

:vlol: Very good ... very good ;) I do hope Jenni considers doing a poll for the worst levels.

For anybody who doesn't know what the heck we are talking about, Ward Dragon quipped that - The winner by a clear landslide is of course Deepsea Dive, in the TRC levels voting thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=151607). I found it pretty amusing. Just gotta love tongue in cheek humor :D

Love2Raid
18-05-09, 20:44
The Cistern from TRA...;)