PDA

View Full Version : Obama goes back on closing down Quantamino?!

Super Badnik
16-05-09, 22:54
I was suprised to hear this on the news. Obama has made a U turn on his promise that he would close down the prison. I mean, that was his main and, arquabley, his most important promise during the elections, going back on it seems somewhat outrageous.

I know some people arque that there must be reason for these people being locked up in G. Bay but not always apparently. Sometimes going on holiday at the wrong time to the wrong place, being in the wrong place at the wrong time and talking to the wrong person (which could include simply asking for directions or sitting next to someone on a bus) are all things said to get you into the prison. This combined with it's infamous history of torture make it very controversial. And America has other prisons like it, that are in countries outside of America itself.

Not a personal attack on American people at all, but it makes this whole "Land of Freedom" thing that we get shoved in our faces seem like a complete joke, although i think Obama will get away with this. He got away with that Special Olympics joke, that no other US president would have been able to get away with, he is "ZOMG!!! Obama!!!" after all.

Love2Raid
16-05-09, 23:01
It's Guantanamo...:)

Did he say that? Well, I think it is impossible to just shut the whole place down at once. Where should all the prisoners (guilty and not guilty) go then? Everyone deserves a fair trial first, that will take a loooong time.

The most important thing right now is that the human rights of the inmates won't get violated (torturing). Shutting it down is the next step. I never believed it could be done that fast.

Super Badnik
16-05-09, 23:04
It's Guantanamo...:)

Did he say that? Well, I think it is impossible to just shut the whole place down at once. Where should all the prisoners (guilty and not guilty) go then? Everyone deserves a fair trial first, that will take a loooong time.

The most important thing right now is that the human rights of the inmates won't get violated (torturing). Shutting it down is the next step. I never believed it could be done that fast.Is it spelt like that? Google said the way i spelt was right:confused:

Anyway, no apparently he's a complete U turn on the plans to shut it down.

EDIT: No, you had it right:) Guantanamo:o

Lemmie
16-05-09, 23:04
Is there a source to back this up?

voltz
16-05-09, 23:10
My talk station was going nuts over this the other day about having them relocated and put through tribunals. The thing that bugs some of us is we could just end up letting many of them go and none of us feel right with the idea of someone moving into our neighborhood just to find out he was a known terrorist.

Neteru
16-05-09, 23:15
As far as I recall he never actually said he would, and though I was as happy as many at the recent news, what transpires is that he simply pulled some classic politician's slimy wording that enables him to wriggle out of it.

I think you'll also find he is or will be sliding out of other promises made too, all in due course.

Super Badnik
16-05-09, 23:16
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1182228/Barack-Obama-U-turn-military-terror-trials.html

Here. He hasn't completely gone back on it. Seems to have just reverted to how it was delt with before. Theres still the issue that many of the inmates have been moved to less well known prisons in other countries, but controlled by America.

Johnnay
16-05-09, 23:19
*bush the third* or second on bad things around the world

obama

that cow. i dont like him.

made heaps of stupid things

Lemmie
16-05-09, 23:19
As far as I recall he never actually said he would, and though I was as happy as many at the recent news, what transpires is that he simply pulled some classic politician's slimy wording that enables him to wriggle out of it.

I think you'll also find he is or will be sliding out of other promises made too, all in due course.

So it goes...

Super Badnik
16-05-09, 23:24
Yeah, i have to say i've so gone off him. I was watching a montage of his 100 days in office and realised what a complete idiot he acts like. How did a US president get away with a special olympics joke anyway? The only election promise he's going to have kept is buying that dog:rolleyes:

kooky
16-05-09, 23:42
*Sigh* Obama is just getting worse & worse by the second, he think's he improving this country, but he's making us weaker & weaker...

Mr.Burns
17-05-09, 01:10
And this is why I voted third party :)

LaraLuvrrr
17-05-09, 01:18
It really simple. Obama made the promise to get liberals to vote for him. And now he realizes what a political blunder it would be to close the camp and also how difficult it will be to figure out where to put the detainees. So he's backing away from his promise for now. Idk wut he'll ultimately do. But either way i honestly dont give a crap. As long as those detainees are kept under lock n key they can be in antarctica for all i care.

Draco
17-05-09, 01:24
You are surprised?

irjudd
17-05-09, 01:45
And this is why I voted third party :)
"LP for Perez"?

SamReeves
17-05-09, 01:55
The terrorists are going to stay put at Gitmo, which would be a smart thing. No other country wants them. Putting them in the continental 48 carries a big risk. So maybe Obama is being real, but with Nancy Pelosi on his shoulders, I doubt it will last long.

Encore
17-05-09, 02:07
Quantamino?!??!!

irjudd
17-05-09, 02:09
Quantamino?!??!!
It's an old fort in Florida that sells conch shells :)

Encore
17-05-09, 02:15
^OMG... I don't know why but you have no idea how much that post made me laugh right now.. :vlol:

Benguitar
17-05-09, 04:27
IN MY OPINION, I know you guys have other opinions, please don't flame me.

Yay, the one thing I like about Obama!

I hated it that he was closing Quantamino.

Although, if he promised that he would close it, that seems like he just proved himself to be a liar. :rolleyes:

Ward Dragon
17-05-09, 04:29
I'm glad that Obama's going to go back to using military tribunals to decide what to do with the detainees. He tried giving the detainees to all of the countries that complained about how awful Guantanamo Bay is, but nobody wanted to have terrorists (or alleged terrorists) in their own countries so we'll have to deal with them ourselves. We can't just release them all since many of them likely are terrorists and releasing them would be a major security risk.

The terrorists are going to stay put at Gitmo, which would be a smart thing. No other country wants them. Putting them in the continental 48 carries a big risk. So maybe Obama is being real, but with Nancy Pelosi on his shoulders, I doubt it will last long.

I don't think anybody takes Pelosi seriously anymore. She accused the CIA of being a bunch of liars despite that the guy Obama appointed to lead the CIA is pretty much universally known as an honest man (which was the only reason he was appointed in the first place since he had no experience with intelligence stuff prior to leading the CIA). He royally pwned her in response :D

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124242570303325183.html

calico25
17-05-09, 05:32
Im surprised people actually bought into 90 % of what Obama was selling. He has gone back on alot of promises...like all politicians.

erosan
17-05-09, 05:37
like quantanamo bay? I loved that movie.

Super Badnik
17-05-09, 14:57
I think some people are forgetting how easy it is to get into G. Bay. Many innocent people have ended up in there. Sure there have been actual terorrists in there, such as people behind 9/11, but it's very scary to think you could be taken away from your home for years, maybe even forever, and tortured for something you know nothing about.

Lemmie
17-05-09, 17:06
I think some people are forgetting how easy it is to get into G. Bay. Many innocent people have ended up in there. Sure there have been actual terorrists in there, such as people behind 9/11, but it's very scary to think you could be taken away from your home for years, maybe even forever, and tortured for something you know nothing about.

Exactly. British citizens have been released and have reported horrible stories of what they suffered there. There are various people who have been wrongfully arrested and put in Guantanamo, and have been released years later without ever having been tried.