PDA

View Full Version : The Alzheimer's Project

voltz
17-05-09, 17:15
http://www.hbo.com/alzheimers/memory-loss-tapes.html

I'm not sure how many of you have people you know or love that has been effected by Alzheimer's, but it's not something to laugh at. It destroys independence, important details, daily activities and memories of people who look up to you. I found this documentary and felt I should share it to you to show exactly how harsh the reality is to deal with.

digitizedboy
17-05-09, 17:31
http://www.hbo.com/alzheimers/memory-loss-tapes.html

I'm not sure how many of you have people you know or love that has been effected by Alzheimer's, but it's not something to laugh at. It destroys independence, important details, daily activities and memories of people who look up to you. I found this documentary and felt I should share it to you to show exactly how harsh the reality is to deal with.

I don't know anyone personally who has Alzheimers but I've read a lot about it. People think it's a disease that you get "old". But that's not the case, people can get Alzheimers even in their 40s. It's quite scary, I mean losing your mind, losing all "identity". It must be really awful. :(

violentblossom
17-05-09, 17:35
In some cases, seeing someone you love with severe Alzheimer's can feel like that person has died and become a different person. They don't remember you, your name, or the wondeful memories they had with you.

touchthesky
17-05-09, 19:37
Nobody in my family or that I "love" (in the sense you mean anyway) has ever had Alzheimers but I work with a lot of dementia/Alzhemiers patients and it is absolutely terrible. It is a horrible illness. People tend to see the "batty," "crazy" side and find it funny, but they don't see the full extent of it.

Have you ever seen someone screaming so hard because they think someone is coming at them? Someone staying awake for nights on end because they are too scared to sleep because they think something is going to happen? Someone weep uncontrollably because they are so damn FRIGHTENED? It is one of the most heart-breaking things ever. To see someone be absolutely fine one month and then the next month they are gone.

Draco
17-05-09, 19:52
Identity is the only thing humans truly value. To lose it is the largest tragedy of them all.

Love2Raid
17-05-09, 20:27
Thank you for sharing this documentary.

Thank god no one of the people who are dear to me is affected by this terrible disease. I have seen a few patients with Alzheimer though. Last year I visited a woman (age 45 I think) who had Alzheimer. I was completely shocked when I looked at what the place looked like. The cupboards were stuffed with huge amounts of the same things, because she kept forgetting she had already bought it and there were notes everywhere.
One of them was sticked to the clock and said: "The short needle (?correct word?) is for the hours, the long one for the minutes."

Also, it struck me how hard they try to hide their condition. But eventually you will notice because they keep telling you the same story over and over again, without knowing it. :(

I saw a picture once with an old man holding his wife, with this caption: "She has Alzheimer, he suffers from it." That is so true (eventually).

Terrible disease, I hope a real treatment that actually works will be invented one day.

croft94
17-05-09, 21:04
For some reason I can't load it from that website.
Is is this one in youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-fnD5ZrT0