PDA

View Full Version : La Roux

TombRaiderLover
17-05-09, 22:58
I've been pondering making this thread for several days now, and was reluctant to - reluctant because there's already a fair amount of music-related threads in General Chat. But these guys are so great, I just had to create a topic dedicated to them.

From Wiki:

La Roux are a British electropop synth duo band made up of singer and synth player Elly Jackson, (Elly being short for Eleanor), and co-writer and co-producer Ben Langmaid, with Jackson describing their respective roles as "very much a half and half sharing situation . . . not like a singer producer outfit", but also recognising that it often can "look like a solo act". Jackson is the daughter of actress Trudie Goodwin, known for her role in the TV series The Bill. Jackson claims to have found a book of baby names in a bin and within the book was the name La Roux, French for "red-haired one". Their music is largely influenced by 1980s synth pop including Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, The Human League, Yazoo and Prince.

First four singles:

-lDEwN7pYAo

O7SjgDo3Qrk&feature=channel

nk6sAJQjcsQ&feature=related

pXHSW76NO2g

QUICKSAND WAS RE-RELEASED IN NOVEMBER. UNFORTUNATELY, IT FAILED TO CHART. IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THERE'LL BE ANY MORE SINGLES.

La Roux - The Album was released in the UK on June 29th, and features the following songs:

In For The Kill
Tigerlily
Quicksand
Bulletproof
Colourless Colour
I'm Not Your Toy
Cover My Eyes
As If By Magic
Fascination
Reflections Are Protection
Armour Love
Growing Pains (Bonus Track)

Saviour is also available as an iTunes exclusive.

;)

lararoxs
17-05-09, 22:59
La Roux = :tmb:

Good thread idea!

She is unique and quite quirky,but I love her voice!:D

Lew
17-05-09, 23:10
wannabee lady gaga bahaha but uglier...

naa she's okay i suppose, a mate saw her in leeds at the cockpit other week. said she was good.

Angelus
17-05-09, 23:20

naa she's okay i suppose, a mate saw her in leeds at the cockpit other week. said she was good.

Not at all.

I've been listening to her music for a couple of months now and I absolutely love it. Bulletproof is definitely my favourite song by her, although I love every song I've heard of hers. I've got the album on pre-order, but waiting until July is killing me. :o

lararoxs
17-05-09, 23:21
Not at all.

I've been listening to her music for a couple of months now and I absolutely love it. Bulletproof is definitely my favourite song by her, although I love every song I've heard of hers. I've got the album on pre-order, but waiting until July is killing me. :o

So do I!:tmb:

I'm expecting that La Roux will become quite big...

telcontar
18-05-09, 00:33
NQdC7h609k8

Hmmmmm....

That's a mixture of Robyn's With Every Heartbeat and Handle Me... Even her hairstyle is somewhat similar.

Romantics Inc.
18-05-09, 01:28
AWSOME AWSOME AMAZING AMAZINGNSS! I love La Roux!!! MGMT and Crystal Castles are great too. MGMT is my favorite group by far ;)

young Lara Croft
18-05-09, 08:55
I totally dig Bulletproof! :tmb:

TombRaiderLover
18-05-09, 12:39

I've never understood the Lady Gaga comparisons. I also think she's an attractive girl (though certain make-up she adopts in the Bulletproof video don't suit her at all.)

oraclebop
18-05-09, 13:50
Thank you! You introduced me too a wonderful group! I just love electropop and synth music. They kinda remind me of the Japanese group "Capsule."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQCxzP0rH9U

The producer-singer duo is a similarity between them. As is the electropop music. :cln:

Saphyre
26-05-09, 17:07
I love La Roux, I consider myself a fan now. I heard in for the kill, didn't think much and thought her voice was too high pitched, but then I heard Quicksand and Bulletproof and fell in love basically. :D

TombRaiderLover
13-06-09, 13:51
Amazon has samples of every song on the album.

MP3 Clips - Part One

In For The Kill
Tigerlily
Quicksand
Bulletproof
Colourless Colour
I'm Not Your Toy (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/mpd/permalink/m3W2MRSD3VDR8A)

MP3 Clips - Part Two

Cover My Eyes
As If By Magic
Fascination
Reflections Are Protections
Armour Love
Growing Pains (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/mpd/permalink/m3J2D794BMBNYP)

Sounds like Quicksand has been re-recorded. Shame, I thought it was perfect.

Nannonxyay
13-06-09, 13:55

:vlol: Their music is NOTHING alike.

I think Elly is quite good looking actually.

Mr.Burns
13-06-09, 13:59
:eek: The Eighties are back!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked019.gif

coolaideonfire
13-06-09, 14:05
I love what I've heard so far of them. Bulletproof is probably my favourite. Elly's voice gets a little irritating in place though, but that's a small price to pay for great pop music! Eagerly waiting for the album...

Angelus
13-06-09, 22:46
I've got the album on pre-order... seriously can't wait for it to finally be released! :jmp:

Lee croft
13-06-09, 23:02
my sister listens to in for the kill all the time!!!! :hea:

TombRaiderLover
14-06-09, 00:27
my sister listens to in for the kill all the time!!!! :hea:

Good for her :) :p

stranger1992
14-06-09, 00:33
Oooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nah nah nah nah nah nah

She plays at work all the time. In For The Kill is kinda annoying but I do like Bulletproof. Her mum is in The Bill:

http://www.nme.com/images/09310_152150_newlaroux.jpg.jpg

Angelus
14-06-09, 00:37
I don't even like In for the Kill That much... Bulletproof, Tigerlily and I'm Not Your Toy are all amazng, though. :tmb:

TombRaiderLover
26-06-09, 19:38
Hey guys. :wve:

The complete Cover My Eyes by La Roux is HERE (http://www.lifelounge.com/La-Roux-is-coming-%E2%80%93-Cover-My-Eyes.aspx).

The album is released on Monday. Anyone excited?

TombRaiderLover
04-07-09, 17:01
Sorry to double-post, but my parents bought me the album today. I've listened to all of the songs anyway due to leaks on Youtube and the like, but having the official CD and importing it to iTunes felt more . . . efficient. There's not a bad song on the album. :tmb:

Anyone else got it?

Lara Fan 4Life
04-07-09, 17:11
I badly want to get this album. Hopefully Iím going somewhere tomorrow where there is a shop selling some album, maybe Tesco? :D Thanks for your feedback on the album, TombRaiderLover. Judging by some reviews, it does sound great. La Roux is one of my favourite artists at the moment.

lararoxs
04-07-09, 17:13
I pre-ordered it for a friend, but now need my copy!:o

touchthesky
30-07-09, 19:57
Woop :).

I have the album...

I heard this song for the first time at my Mums..I had it stuck in my head and realised I was in love with it, so I bought the single from HMV.
The next day I saw the album in Sainsburys and my Mum bought it me :D.

I haven't listened to the album yet (gr) because I have actually lost it..wtf I know! It is in the house though, because I seen it come outta the suitcase.

Lara Fan 4Life
30-07-09, 20:07
^Hope you find the album soon, it's great. :D

I got the album last Sunday, and love it. My favourite songs are the two amazing singles, In for the Kill and Bulletproof and I also like Tigerlily. All the others are OK, but I haven't really listened to them fully, but they'll grow on me. Does anyone know what their third single off the album will be? :)

Orionvalentine
30-07-09, 20:12
WAHEY!

I LOVE La Roux! I was considering making a thread like this, but all mine fall on their faces :p

Good job making this though, I hope it carries on for ages.

TombRaiderLover
30-07-09, 20:13
Does anyone know what their third single off the album will be? :)
Fourth single.

Quicksand preceeded In For The Kill and Bulletproof. It did poorly in the charts, though (which is why I think a re-release would be a good idea.)

Their next single will be I'm Not Your Toy (though I wish it was Tigerlily or Cover My Eyes. :()

Lara Fan 4Life
30-07-09, 20:16
^Oh, thanks TRLover. :tmb: I actually forgot about Quicksand being released. They definitely should re-release, as like you said it did badly as they were hardly known then.

Angelus
30-07-09, 21:06
I'm Not Your Toy is the next single!? **** yeah! Tigerlily for fifth and final single please.

TombRaiderLover
30-07-09, 21:13
I'm Not Your Toy is the next single!? **** yeah! Tigerlily for fifth and final single please.

I'm sure Elly said in an interview way back that Tigerlily probably wouldn't be a single. :( If not Tigerlily, I hope the fifth single is Cover My Eyes. I think it shows a different side to them.

Angelus
30-07-09, 21:14
I'm sure Elly said in an interview way back that Tigerlily probably wouldn't be a single. :( If not Tigerlily, I hope the fifth single is Cover My Eyes. I think it shows a different side to them.

Aw. :( Cover My Eyes is one of my favourite songs on the album, so I hope they do release it. :tmb:

TombRaiderLover
30-07-09, 21:16
Aw. :( Cover My Eyes is one of my favourite songs on the album, so I hope they do release it. :tmb:

On Wiki a while back, Cover My Eyes was listed as their fifth single. It was deleted soon after, and obviously anybody can edit Wikipedia, but it gives me hope. :pi:

atlanta73
30-07-09, 22:19
I only found out today that Bulletproof and In for the Kill were both La Roux. Its frustrating listening to the radio when you don't catch the name of the band/song so it took me a while to figure it out. I love both tracks loads and look forward to giving the album a listen. Lovin her voice, so different to everyone else around. :D:D

Lara Fan 4Life
31-07-09, 14:30
Lovin her voice, so different to everyone else around. :D:D
I agree, her voice is very original. :D

TombRaiderLover
06-08-09, 01:07
Recent interview:

VbAJGq4Sm50

I laughed at 2:50 onwards. She does a great impression of hip-hop music.

tomobond875
06-08-09, 01:10
Fail.

Angelus
06-08-09, 01:12
"They're gonna think you're a *****, Ellie."

:vlol:

Angelus
06-08-09, 01:13
Fail.

Your attitude is a fail.

TombRaiderLover
06-08-09, 01:15
Your attitude is a fail.

I LOL'ed.

I love Elly when she's being interviewed. Just irritates me that singers can't even be honest anymore without getting all kinds of **** off people on the internet.

tomobond875
06-08-09, 01:18
Your attitude is a fail.
Please don't give that bull. Catracoth used that attitude and it didn't go well. Opinions are opinions, and you can't change mine. I gave my opinion, deal. I don't look at your post and instantly comment to complain.

tombraiderluka
06-08-09, 01:20
I like Bulletprof :yah:

TombRaiderLover
06-08-09, 01:25
Opinions are opinions, and you can't change mine.

That's all fine and dandy, but if you're going to wander into a thread, randomly say "Fail" with no clarification as to what you're actually referring to, expect someone to pick you up on that.

Angelus
06-08-09, 01:30
Please don't give that bull. Catracoth used that attitude and it didn't go well. Opinions are opinions, and you can't change mine. I gave my opinion, deal. I don't look at your post and instantly comment to complain.

Wait there while I put on my 'give a ****' face.

]{eith
06-08-09, 01:32
:eek: The Eighties are back!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked019.gif

You make it sound like a bad thing! :smk: 80's music is kick-ass.

tomobond875
06-08-09, 01:49
Well, it's a La Roux thread. So I obviously mean they fail. Duh.

TombRaiderLover
06-08-09, 01:52
I'm sorry for being so idiotic and insensitive. Somebody should just shoot me.

Angelus
06-08-09, 01:53

Why are you still here then?

Paperdoll
06-08-09, 02:03
Chill pills anyone? They're a dime a dozen tonight, special offer.

So cool off. Given your opinion? Ok then. Let other people have their own tastes alrighty? Thar goes the old saying "got nothing nice to say? well then step off son".

Play nice folks.

tomobond875
06-08-09, 02:08
Yes im sorry for giving my opinion on a band. I mean god forbid. :rolleyes:

EmeraldFields
06-08-09, 02:09
What is going to be the first single in the US?

Angelus
06-08-09, 02:10

Then I was all like, YEAH, WHATEVA!!

tomobond875
06-08-09, 02:11
Now this thread isn't about the beach and bein on the street corner in leather. It's about La Roux.

Then I was all like YEAH WHATEVA!!!

TombRaiderLover
06-08-09, 02:13
Would you please shut up? I don't want my thread to get closed.

What is going to be the first single in the US?

I think Quicksand has already been released in the US.

Mr.Burns
06-08-09, 02:14
Will you lot just shut it already?

Paperdoll
06-08-09, 02:14
You gave your opinion before and offered no reasons to why you dislike the band ("Fail" does not count).

So please do not feed needless conflicts. Have an actual opinion to share on why you dislike this band? Be my guest.

Do you just want to go around and post something that will unvariably lead to arguments and confrontations. Sorry sweetheart but that's a no no.

EmeraldFields
06-08-09, 02:15
I think Quicksand has already been released in the US.

Ahh... I probaly don't listen to the radio enough to know all of the new songs.:p

I love Bulletproof, though.:cln:

tomobond875
06-08-09, 02:16
You gave your opinion before and offered no reasons to why you dislike the band ("Fail" does not count).

So please do not feed needless conflicts. Have an actual opinion to share on why you dislike this band? Be my guest.

Do you just want to go around and post something that will unvariably lead to arguments and confrontations. Sorry sweetheart but that's a no no.
Ok. I dislike all modern Music. Simple. I'm a classic rocker, always have been. Is that a reason? And her voice sounded like she was high when I heard her.
And paperdoll, that sig, isn't that a line from the song Go with the flow?

Tonyrobinson
06-08-09, 02:23
It was just a matter of time before somebody made a thread about La Roux...

TombRaiderLover
13-08-09, 21:30
The new single "I'm Not Your Toy" is to be released September 28th. :wve:

LINK (http://www.nme.com/news/la-roux/46671)

I wonder when the music video will appear on the web.

Angelus
13-08-09, 21:38
the new single "i'm not your toy" is to be released september 28th. :wve:

link (http://www.nme.com/news/la-roux/46671)

i wonder when the music video will appear on the web.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Lara Fan 4Life
13-08-09, 21:46
The new single "I'm Not Your Toy" is to be released September 28th. :wve:
Yay! :jmp:

TombRaiderLover
17-08-09, 15:48
La Roux 'not bothered' by new single:

La Roux singer Elly Jackson has insisted that she is not bothered which songs are released from the band's album.

The duo recently confirmed plans to release 'I'm Not A Toy' on September 28 but claimed that they are more interested in the continued success of their LP, which reached number two in June.

"I wanted to make my whole album sound a La Roux hit so I don't really mind what single gets released," Jackson told the Daily Star.

The singer, 21, added that she will only start recording material for a second album once the group have finished touring in November.

"We never work on the road. We need to talk and get together," she said.

LINK (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a171914/la-roux-not-bothered-by-new-single.html)

ORLY? Still, I'm crossing my fingers for Cover My Eyes or Tigerlily to be the fifth single. Something tells me it'll be Armour Love, though. When Elly performed for the Down The Front sessions, that was one of the songs she sang, as well as Quicksand, Bulletproof and I'm Not Your Toy.

I wish they'd hurry up and release the new music video.

New interview also:

B6DmDusvf9A

They refer to I'm Not Your Toy as the third single, yet use video footage from Quicksand, In For The Kill and Bulletproof . . . it's not rocket science.

EmeraldFields
20-08-09, 22:28
Bulletproof has charted on the US Hot Dance Club Songs at #7!:D

http://i27.************/2rw8a4m.jpg
Billboard (http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/dance-club-play-songs?begin=1&order=position)

TombRaiderLover
20-08-09, 22:34
Good to know she's doing well in the US as well as the UK. :)

I'm getting seriously impatient now. They still haven't released the music video for I'm Not Your Toy. :pi:

McGloomy
20-08-09, 22:48
This morning "Bulletproof" was on TV. The song is really catchy, reminds me of the Ting-Tings and 2raumwohung. I also like the style of the singer, very unusual and unique. I'm looking forward to more of this band. :tmb:

TombRaiderLover
30-08-09, 14:13
From an article here (http://www.nme.com/news/la-roux/47032):

The Mercury-nominated band also performed forthcoming single 'As If By Magic', which saw Jackson joke with her fans: "Pretend you know the words."

A mistake on NME's behalf, or have they spilled the beans on the fifth single?

Also, an e-mail from the official La Roux site described the I'm Not Your Toy video as being in Technicolour and featuring the live band as opposed to Elly on her own, as in previous videos.

;)

Hermina94
30-08-09, 14:19
This time maybe,I'll be bulletproof :rolleyes:

coolaideonfire
30-08-09, 14:53
Cover My Eyes would be a great winter single. :tmb:

TombRaiderLover
04-09-09, 20:55
pXHSW76NO2g

:)

Lara Fan 4Life
04-09-09, 21:03
^OK video, but I don't see the song going number one like Bulletproof. Maybe top 5, though! :tmb:

lararoxs
04-09-09, 21:15
I really really like Fascination.

Angelus
04-09-09, 23:31
pXHSW76NO2g

:)

I love the video! :D

EmeraldFields
05-09-09, 15:15
Bulletproof has moved up to #2 on the US Hot Dance Club Play!:D

http://i30.************/2igyadx.jpg

remote91
05-09-09, 15:28
I saw the worst girl the other day trying to look like La Roux, it was so obvious it was offensive to my eyes.

I wanted to drown her in a nearby puddle

TombRaiderLover
11-09-09, 21:05
Quicksand is one smash hits of your album among others and was used as a "buzz single". Are you considering giving the track a proper commercialization ?

No plans yet because first we have to release I'm Not Your Toy followed by As If By Magic, then maybe Fascination. I think it would feel odd to go back to Quicksand.

SOURCE (http://www.hall-musique.net/2009/09/la-roux-as-if-by-magic-nouveau-single.html)

Looks we we have confirmation of the following singles. :wve:

touchthesky
30-09-09, 20:03
Oh my god! Finally found the album :D It was in a box from moving.

It's uploaded. Not managed to listen to much yet but what I've heard I actually love.

I love La Roux. I think I have a major girl crush on her. She is my Edward Cullen if this was the Twilight world lol.

young Lara Croft
30-09-09, 21:06
I like the concept on her latest clip! and the song sounds good enough! :tmb:

Dina_Croft
02-10-09, 08:11
The first time I saw her I was like wtf?But now I'm addicted to Bulletproof and In For The Kill....

scoopy_loopy
02-10-09, 12:37
I love La Roux. Its all I can listen to lately :tmb:

Bulletproof and Quicksand are my current fav's, her voice is amazing in them.

touchthesky
02-10-09, 17:45
LOVES IT!

HaZ1T32OpmE

young Lara Croft
02-10-09, 17:55
GREAT performance! :tmb:

Tombraider95
02-10-09, 18:00
I like some of her songs, think there quite catchy but the videos are strange but different! :)

TombRaiderLover
14-10-09, 17:58
Brilliant news, guys. La Roux are to re-release their debut single Quicksand, as revealed briefly in the news about the upcoming tour:

The tour will coincide with the release of La Roux's new single 'Quicksand', which is out on November 23.

The full article is HERE (http://www.gigwise.com/news/52973/La-Roux-Announce-Huge-UK-And-Ireland-Tour-New-Single-Details)

It's a shame I'm Not Your Toy hasn't performed as well as In For The Kill and Bulletproof. The highest it reached in the charts was #27, then it later dropped from the Top 40. Ugh, the charts today are full of crappy R&B.

TRhalloween
22-10-09, 23:10
I'm so stupid, I thought she was singing "This time, baby, I'll be pulling through" :o

Carbonek_0051
16-02-10, 22:15
So I am a bit late to the party, but I heard Bulletproof on the radio last week on the way to get my PSP and I fell in love. I am listening to the CD for the first time, and I am loving it so far.:D

Chocola teapot
16-02-10, 22:15
Love La-roux.

Yes, Im a fan.

marla_biggs
16-02-10, 22:19
Such a crime she didn't win anything.

*at the Brits

Legend of Lara
16-02-10, 22:35
The only song I've heard is In For The Kill.
From the Bayonetta commercial.

Well, I liked it! :p

marla_biggs
16-02-10, 22:38
Growing Pains is the best bonus track ever

Shark_Blade
17-02-10, 00:46
She's too masculine looking for my taste, but good for people who likes her.

Tommy123
17-02-10, 01:46
The only song i've heard was "in for the kill" which was used for a Bayonetta commerical i saw on TV

watch?v=b68vxZXQUCs

EmeraldFields
13-03-10, 02:50
Just thought that I'd let you guys know that La Roux has FINALLY charted on the US's Hot 100 chart at #92 with Bulletproof. :D

http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/hot-100?chartDate=2010-03-20&begin=91&order=position

MattTR
13-03-10, 02:52
I like "Bulletproof", but "In For The Kill", I don't like it.. seriously.

"What is love without lust?" :whi: Not a very nice song.

Tombraiderx08
13-03-10, 03:09
Bulletproof and in for the kill are pretty nifty :D, i'd like to get the album ^_^

AmericanAssassin
13-03-10, 04:59
I'd like to get it, too. Maybe I'll look for it when I go out soon. "In For the Kill" is an amazing song. :D

marla_biggs
13-03-10, 09:33
Just thought that I'd let you guys know that La Roux has FINALLY charted on the US's Hot 100 chart at #92 with Bulletproof. :D

http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/hot-100?chartDate=2010-03-20&begin=91&order=position

$ucce$$!

Lara Fan 4Life
13-03-10, 09:46
I like "Bulletproof", but "In For The Kill", I don't like it.. seriously.

In For The Kill is amazing! :eek: That and Bulletproof for me are the best songs on the album! :tmb:

Carbonek_0051
13-03-10, 09:47
Bulletproof <3

marla_biggs
13-03-10, 09:48
Let's not forget the amazing Cover My Eyes!!

Carbonek_0051
13-03-10, 09:51
http://i49.************/6s5s2q.jpg

She's so amazing. <3

scremanie
13-03-10, 09:53
She looks like a lizard, but I did like how they used In for the kill in the Bayonetta trailer.

Lara Fan 4Life
13-03-10, 10:02
I actually haven't heard about La Roux in a while now! She's suppose to be playing at Oxygen, no? I hpe she's starting working on a follow up to her debut album! :D

tombraiderluka
13-03-10, 10:04
I actually haven't heard about La Roux in a while now! She's suppose to be playing at Oxygen, no? I hpe she's starting working on a follow up to her debut album! :D
What do you mean she?

scremanie
13-03-10, 10:05
What do you mean she?

Who is getting gender racist now?! :ohn:

marla_biggs
13-03-10, 10:06
What do you mean she?

:mad:

Lara Fan 4Life
13-03-10, 10:10
What do you mean she?

:vlol: La Roux is a band, maybe you meant I should say ''they'', or you're just saying she looks like a man! I go with the last one! :smk:

:p

badboy70
13-03-10, 10:29
I don't really likeh er songs, but I do like the dubstep remix of In For The Kill

_2XmLcnYSwQ

tombraiderluka
13-03-10, 10:43
No I meant La Roux is a band not just Eleanor, geez people wtf is your problem :rolleyes:

almayah
13-03-10, 12:11
I only listened bulletproof, and I like it :tea:

marla_biggs
13-03-10, 12:35
No I meant La Roux is a band not just Eleanor, geez people wtf is your problem :rolleyes:

ooh ok :) I had no idea they were a group.

scremanie
13-03-10, 12:36
I don't really likeh er songs, but I do like the dubstep remix of In For The Kill

_2XmLcnYSwQ

wtf? :confused:

it sounds like she's dying.

Carbonek_0051
13-03-10, 12:37
Her voice is amazing.:p

That's the remix they used for Bayonetta. ^_^