PDA

View Full Version : Stereotypes Of Your Country

Pages : [1] 2

Squibbly
18-05-09, 02:13
I was wondering if anyone's country is falsely perceived by other countries around the world. Do these stereotypes annoy you, do you find them downright silly, or a mixture of the two?

I live in Canada, and these are some things that are not true:

• It is not freezing cold and snowy here all the time. Far up north it's cold and snowy, yes, but that's expected because, you know, it's far up north, and the population up there is far less than everywhere else in Canada. We have seasons, and it gets very hot in the summer. The western coast of Canada doesn't even snow at all.

• Some people believe we live in igloos (...??). Nope. As I mentioned above, it's not cold enough unless you want to live WAAAY up north, and even still, we don't do that.

• We do not have ridiculous accents that sound like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3DYbE44OIE)

• We don't drink more than anyone else in the world.

• Our police officers wear bulletproof vests and drive in police cars just like everywhere else. The Canadian Mounties (red uniform, horseback) are for ceremonial purposes only in our country's capital, Ottawa.

I'm sure there are tons more, but I cannot think at the moment. Those are the main ones. Maybe you could tell me others. :p

So, what beliefs do other countries have of yours that are not true?

Mokono
18-05-09, 02:19
The worst stereotype of my country lies on a cutscene od TR1 and TRA, and the worst is that they didn't replace the mexican accent with a real peruvian one.

:}hello friend
18-05-09, 02:26
Ummm... Imma talk about my state in the USA... Kentucky...arrghhhh!!!

People think everyone here is hillbillies, rednecks, and yellerbellies D:...
When people think of us... they assume we all wear overalls, or sweaty tanktops... when I wear sweatshirts, with pandas on them :D:D:D and rainbows too ;)

Everyone thinl<s that we always listen to country music... when I like punk rock, alternative, pop, and metal...and Gwen Stefani xD

Everyone thinks that we live in log cabins...well around here thats true ;).. but many people think we don't have any technology... and all we do is farm and raise animals... when I did have a cell phone... (untils dogs got hold of it D:), have an ipod... and what do you think im using right now... and the only animals i raise are cats dogs... and cute lil bunneh rabbits :D

People think that we are dummmbb.... when I makes As Bs and those unwanted Cs on my grade cards.... and me and a lot of peoples were elected to go the Mt. Rushmore for our grades. Although it costed way over 3000 dollars and my parents we uhhh NO....

There is so many more.... ill post later on/////

Gladous
18-05-09, 02:30
Our's is that we're stupid, lazy fat people that pollute the earth and eat McDonalds all day and watch TV. :wve:

rowanlim
18-05-09, 02:37
Nobody knows us :pi:

voltz
18-05-09, 02:45
Every hick and redneck is believed to have a run down looking house with engine equipment littering a yard that never gets mowed, a buck-toothed wife with a slurred accent, a rusty pickup truck bearing a gun rack and the confederate flag on the bumper, and a hound dog who just sleeps on the porch all day while the owner bumbles around listening to bluegrass and Jeff Foxworthy. :tea:

Mokono
18-05-09, 02:48

Of course we do, your stereotype is that your country is epic.

rowanlim
18-05-09, 02:59
Of course we do, your stereotype is that your country is epic.

:eek:

But...how? :p

Probably the stereotype is we're all foodies. Obsessively so.

Draco
18-05-09, 03:03
The entire population of this planet is stereotyped as 'Mostly Harmless'.

Lintal
18-05-09, 03:25
people always say as an insult that have sex with sheep because for some reason everyone thinks we are obsessed with them

DaNoNeMoKiId
18-05-09, 03:46
Wow
Umm, I'm originally from the Philippines, then I moved to CA.
Soooo, stereotypes:

People think the only DVD's and other stuff that we own are pirated and illegal.

They think we aren't educated, well some of the people aren't.

Everyone lives in mud huts.

Everyone loves koreanovela's. :o

Everyone loves rice.

Everyone is in poverty

There are no schools here. (wtf??!?!?!)

Every single person here is dirty and stinky and disgusting.

We are behind on technology and science.

We don't care about anything else but skin and hair care. (:rolleyes:)

We don't speak english. (FYI most of the schools there teach students primarily in the english language, then teach in their native language for social studies). :)

Aaaaaand I have more but I can't remember themmm.

KC Mraz
18-05-09, 04:16
Our's is that we're stupid, lazy fat people that pollute the earth and eat McDonalds all day and watch TV. :wve:

Change McDonalds for tacos, the skin color and remove TV and you pretty much have Mexico's :o.

I won't deny there is places like the typical desert/over-populated dirty city in the country but not all Mexico is like it's portrayed in movies and cartoons, etc.

Also with people, the portray of the unliteratem fat, brown-skinned tequila drunkard with a sombrero is BS. I don't even know were was the last time I saw a sombrero in RealLife™ :p.

Although, some thing are true. Día de muertos/Day of the dead is a quite colourful celebration with flowers and calaveras and altars (and actually, "Cinco de Mayo" is a bigger celebration in the US than in Mexico, here it's pretty much ignored outside schools and places like some restaurants), things like Mariachi bands and Lucha Libre are popular among most people, etc.

Most people here find the mexican stereotype insulting, but to be honest, I'm over it. Stereotypes will always be there so I don't really see a point to get all mad about it. Yes, it's somewhat uncomfortable seeing it in TV or something but I still like my country, so whatever :).

Tony9595
18-05-09, 04:17
↑ I completely agree... and let´s not forget about this :mad:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iU3pXfKiYGs/SNPBh6wLgWI/AAAAAAAAAH0/WtuL_F-8zRc/s400/borracho.JPG

WE´RE NOT LIKE THAT :vlol:

(well, a bit... :p)

Admles
18-05-09, 05:41
We do not all say "G'day mate"

We do not have corks dangling from out hats

We do not talk about "throwing a shrimp on the barbie" - shrimp is an american term

Australian accents done by Americans are always incorrect

We do not have koalas / kangaroos running through our houses / backyards

Our nearest neighbours are NOT 2km away

We are not all convicts

We are not anything like the British

violentblossom
18-05-09, 05:49
So weird.... i was thinking for the past couple hours of making the same sort of thread but decided against it for fear of massive flame wars. :pi: Great minds think alike, Squibbly. ;)

Anywho:

AMERICANS:

*People assume that Americans eat tons of Mc Donald's and that we all think that were better than everyone.

*Its also assumed sometimes that were all trashy and brash, and watch tons and tons of t.v.

TEXANS:

*People assume that we all own horses, talk with twangs, own guns, wear cowboy boots, and listen to coutry music in our big trucks.

YOUNG PEOPLE:

*People assume that were all arrogant, totally immature, bad mannered, irresponsible, drunk, rowdy, and lazy.

HISPANICS:

*People assume that were illiterate, here illegally, listen to music filled with acordians and heavy bass, lazy, thieving, dirty, and that we all sell drugs or that we all participate in other criminal activites.

Mad Tony
18-05-09, 06:07
Unlike what most people think, there are more than just two accents in Britain. There are more than just posh people and really common people. We're not always eating crumpets (although the stereotype about tea is probably true, although I hate tea myself ) and our teeth are not worse than anyone else's, I honestly have no idea where that one came from. :p

*laralover*
18-05-09, 06:11
Well a good one i got once from a few people was that my accent was meant to be like everyone from Braveheart just because im Scottish...when i sound nothing like that :rolleyes: O yeah and all our houses are meant to be medievil style and that we love a cup of tea in the evening! :vlol: Well the tea is true everyone i know drinks tea but its annoying when i get made fun of about it..:hea:

Ikas90
18-05-09, 06:42
Admles is spot on. :tmb: We're not all jackaroos or jilaroos. :D

It's just as legitimate as making the assumption that all Americans are gun-toting, tobacco chewing cowboys, British people are bowler-head wearing, pinstriped snobs, and that Canadians live in Igloos. :pi:

TRenTIs
18-05-09, 06:51
people always say as an insult that have sex with sheep because for some reason everyone thinks we are obsessed with them

I think that assumption comes from the fact that there are more sheep than people there.

We do not talk about "throwing a shrimp on the barbie" - shrimp is an american term

Our nearest neighbours are NOT 2km away

We are not all convicts

We are not anything like the British

That is so true. I hate Australian stereotypes!! :mad:

Noodleboy
18-05-09, 07:55
Apparantly we live in windmills,
we walk on wooden shoes,
we only eat cheese,
we are always stoned because marijuana is legal here,
and the only flower we grow are tulips.

You can guess 3 times where I'm from

(answer)
Holland!!
(answer)

Goose
18-05-09, 08:00
we walk on wooden shoes,
we only eat cheese,

(answer)
Holland!!
(answer)

The Netherlands?

woody543
18-05-09, 08:33
The ones in the Uk are that we speak really posh or with a cockney accent....

And also that we all have tea and crumpets everyday non-stop, which whilst may be true about the tea (even though I dont like it) crumpets definitley isn't

BlackRainbow
18-05-09, 08:55
Sweden

• All the Swedish girls aren't blonde, big breasted and dumb.

• "The Gay Country". Just because we accept gays far better than some other countries, doesn't mean we're all automatically homosexuals.

• People tend to associate Swedes with suicide, depression and gloominess. Wth?

Admles
18-05-09, 08:59
Sweden

• "The Gay Country". Just because we accept gays far better than some other countries, doesn't mean we're all automatically homosexuals.

But the Swedish girls are all friendly right? RIGHT?

BlackRainbow
18-05-09, 09:05
But the Swedish girls are all friendly right? RIGHT?

Um... yes, I think I am o_o

Forwen
18-05-09, 09:08
Well Polish spend most of their time stealing German cars, then getting wasted drinking vodka from tall glasses while arguing about politics only to wake up the next day with an epic hangover and stagger to the Church. The only thing I've ever stolen was a tiny plastic motorbike toy of my friend's (I think I still have it), I'm a teetotaler and a formal apostate from the Catholic Church. Although maybe an exception just confirms the rule :confused:

:vlol:

SweetMaleficia
18-05-09, 09:25
For my English side - we drink tea all day. Well, that's true for me but we don't have little tea parties all the time. We also have bad teeth and all of our young get pregnant at 12.

For my Welsh side - we shag sheep.

Changeling
18-05-09, 09:40
Oooh stereotypes frustrate me to no end.

- We have a variety of accents than what the one in Braveheart sounded like

- In the north, we don't live in huts, hunt for food or worship Pagan Gods

- We don't wear Kilts every day, we usually only wear them at Weddings

- All of our major cities don't look like small villages

- We don't all have ginger hair

- We're not all vicious

- We're not drunk the whole time

- Not every person in our youth is a Ned

- Not all of us enjoy a cup of tea every waking moment of our lives

- We're not behind in technology

That's all that I can think of so far. :p

digitizedboy
18-05-09, 10:47
I think everyone (especially Americans) consider us Brits to always have "posh" and "snobby" accents. The stiff upper lip as you might say, but it's totally false. lol

touchmyheart
18-05-09, 10:54
I suppose the stereotype of Irish people is that we're constantly drunk and are old fashioned :p Also that we all talk in ridiculous over the top accents lol.

oraclebop
18-05-09, 10:58
Don't get me started. :rolleyes:

Wow
Umm, I'm originally from the Philippines, then I moved to CA.
Soooo, stereotypes:

People think the only DVD's and other stuff that we own are pirated and illegal.

They think we aren't educated, well some of the people aren't.

Everyone lives in mud huts.

Everyone loves koreanovela's. :o

Everyone loves rice.

Everyone is in poverty

There are no schools here. (wtf??!?!?!)

Every single person here is dirty and stinky and disgusting.

We are behind on technology and science.

We don't care about anything else but skin and hair care. (:rolleyes:)

We don't speak english. (FYI most of the schools there teach students primarily in the english language, then teach in their native language for social studies). :)

Aaaaaand I have more but I can't remember themmm.

Oh wait, Someone already did. :p

Your_Envy*
18-05-09, 11:02
We envy everybody. :D

And no, this has nothing to do with my nickname. :D

TR love
18-05-09, 11:07
Lets see...

Australians

-No we do not all have ACCENTS!

-ITS NOT ALL OUTBACK OK!?

-WE DO NOT SWARE ALL THE TIME

-We dont wear hats with corks on them, i have never seen someone wear one.

-Yes there are farms, but farms are in many countries,,,

EgyptianSoul
18-05-09, 11:08
I don't know about stereotypes but what I can tell you is what about 80-90% of Finnish people really are.

Alcoholics.

pEhouse
18-05-09, 11:11
Well Polish spend most of their time stealing German cars, ...

that's really a pretty common one over here :D

Well, we do not wear Lederhosen (If so, then mostly in Bavaria for traditional festival purposes), we don't eat Sauerkraut all the time (I certainly don't like it), and not everybody speaks english with this horrible accent as always seen on TV. I don't think we are as serious as the rest of the world seems to think, but most of us do enjoy a cold beer (but who doesn't? :p )

Noodleboy
18-05-09, 11:20
I don't know about stereotypes but what I can tell you is what about 80-90% of Finnish people really are.

Alcoholics.

Lol, this finnish girl over here is always talking about various kinds of alcohol when we talk about Friday nights :p

digitizedboy
18-05-09, 11:22
Lets see...

Australians

-No we do not all have ACCENTS!

-ITS NOT ALL OUTBACK OK!?

-WE DO NOT SWARE ALL THE TIME

-We dont wear hats with corks on them, i have never seen someone wear one.

-Yes there are farms, but farms are in many countries,,,

I thought you were all like Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin. Just kidding. :D

tomblover
18-05-09, 11:25
Sweden

WTF regarding the last point you had... :eek:

Oh, and ice bears do not walk around in the streets here in Sweden, either. :p I've heard some people think that! :vlol:

Trigger_happy
18-05-09, 11:27
Now, just to clear up a few things:

We do not all like tea- every other Brit has so far said that they don't like tea.
Our teeth are not brown. I have no clue where this came from?!
Not all British people are Posh. Or cockney for that matter- other people do exist, surprising as that may sound.
Oh, and not all posh Brits are evil masterminds bent on world domination. There are quite a few nice posh people out there not fighting to be first to destroy the world.
Whats the whole thing about bad hygiene? Maybe 300 years ago, but today we all, well mostly, smell nice and fresh

Forwen
18-05-09, 11:30
Our teeth are not brown. I have no clue where this came from?!

Probably drinking all this black tea :confused:

Trigger_happy
18-05-09, 11:32
But like 99% of people put milk in their tea! And dentists do exist over here, as well as toothbrushes and toothpaste.

Jacen
18-05-09, 11:47
Sweden

The only stereotype I've heard about Swedish girls is that they're good looking and blond... never heard anything about dumb...
The other ones are new to me...

Noodleboy pretty much summed my country up...:p

digitizedboy
18-05-09, 11:48
^ I never got that one, how people think "all" British people have bad teeth. I watched this American comedy once and they portrayed us as having rotten teeth. lol It's not true. Like you say, colgate exists here. :D

BlackRainbow
18-05-09, 11:48
WTF regarding the last point you had... :eek:

Oh, and ice bears do not walk around in the streets here in Sweden, either. :p I've heard some people think that! :vlol:
I know, right :eek: It's freaky.

Haha, that's true :vlol:

Voni
18-05-09, 11:49
I think everyone's summed up the UK stereotypes, but I'd just like to debunk one about people from Birmingham:

WE'RE NOT STUPID!

Argh, drives me mad! And the only evidence people can find to support this is our awful accents! How does that even work?!

tomblover
18-05-09, 11:51

I love Malay food! :vlol: Gimme nasi lemak any day! :p

Or any Chinese food... Ayam is geeewd. :cln: In curry. :D And with fried rice. God I'm hungry. :p That's not exactly Chinese though! :vlol: Or is it? :whi:

digitizedboy
18-05-09, 11:52
I think everyone's summed up the UK stereotypes, but I'd just like to debunk one about people from Birmingham:

WE'RE NOT STUPID!

Argh, drives me mad! And the only evidence people can find to support this is our awful accents! How does that even work?!

yeah but we sound stupid. lol and anyway, we don't have those "strong" brummie accents anyway, those are the accents from the black country, and people from outside the midlands always presume we speak like that. :o

Lee croft
18-05-09, 11:53
people think of my country that people are either posh or cockney football hooligans that go around bashing people with stick waped in barbed wire just because there team lost.

and that every person in england likes tea.

id like to say im none of what i just said!!!!! i hate football i dont drink tea im not cockney or posh im just me :)

EgyptianSoul
18-05-09, 12:05
Lol, this finnish girl over here is always talking about various kinds of alcohol when we talk about Friday nights :p

Drinking heavily is really a part of the finnish culture. I don't drink at all myself even though everybody has tried to push me into it.

The number of deaths due to alcohol has actually increased here lately.

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 12:08
Scotland

We all eat haggis
We deep fry everything
We all have ginger hair
We are a bunch of drunkards
We all hate the English
We wear kilts all the time
We play the bagpipes
We are stingy (tight with our money)
We say things like "Och aye the noo" and "It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht".:D

Forwen
18-05-09, 12:13

Kc_iWPnjtCI

:D

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 12:18
Some beautiful poetry there. It brought tears to my eyes. :p

I believe the character was based on William Topaz McGonagall who lived in my hometown. He was ridiculed as being one of the worst poets in the English language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McGonagall

rowanlim
18-05-09, 12:22

Well..yeah! :D When I hear the word Polish, I immediately think Frederick Chopin :)

I love Malay food! :vlol: Gimme nasi lemak any day! :p

Or any Chinese food... Ayam is geeewd. :cln: In curry. :D And with fried rice. God I'm hungry. :p That's not exactly Chinese though! :vlol: Or is it? :whi:

No kidding! Too much cholesterol in that one! :p But I love it too :p We should go eating 1 day hehehhe ;)

The entire population of this planet is stereotyped as 'Mostly Harmless'.

That's comforting :D

I thought the Chinese are stingy :p

Changeling
18-05-09, 12:24
Oh yeah, and another thing, if you're ever visiting Scotland, don't do what I've seen many tourists do and buy a 'Haggis Whistle' in a tourist shop which will apparantly attract haggis :vlol:

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 12:25
Oh yeah, and another thing, if you're ever visiting Scotland, don't do what I've seen many tourists do and buy a 'Haggis Whistle' in a tourist shop which will apparantly attract haggis :vlol:

Tourists are pretty stupid tho. Everyone knows that haggis are deaf.

Changeling
18-05-09, 12:26
Everyone knows that haggis are deaf.

I know right? Such ignorance towards the Scottish culture :pi: :ton:

Forwen
18-05-09, 12:28
Well..yeah! :D When I hear the word Polish, I immediately think Frederick Chopin :)

Funny you'd mention that, in Poland a common stereotype of Eastern Asia is that everyone there plays Chopin :p

TRhalloween
18-05-09, 12:31
- Not every person in our youth is a Ned

A lot of people from other countries don't know what a ned is.

Scotland

We all eat haggis
We deep fry everything
We all have ginger hair
We are a bunch of drunkards
We all hate the English
We play the bagpipes
We say things like "Och aye the noo" and "It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht".:D

lol and we over pronounce 'r's.

rowanlim
18-05-09, 12:32
Funny you'd mention that, in Poland a common stereotype of Eastern Asia is that everyone there plays Chopin :p

Haha I didn't mean the Polish play Chopin but I will think of HIM, like his history & stuff :p

Tourists are pretty stupid tho. Everyone knows that haggis are deaf.

I thought haggis is food? :confused:

Changeling
18-05-09, 12:36
I thought haggis is food? :confused:

It is, but we're making fun of the fact that tourists think they can summon Haggis to them by using a 'Haggis Whistle' :ton: Lara's Nemesis was just being sarcastic.

A lot of people from other countries don't know what a ned is.

Non-Educational Delinquent then :p

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 12:37
Haggis is food. There is a joke going around that it comes from a small animal/ beastie that roams the Highlands tho. :D

http://i39.************/333aadu.gif

Forwen
18-05-09, 12:39
Haha I didn't mean the Polish play Chopin but I will think of HIM, like his history & stuff :p

Nono, I mean that everyone in Eastern Asia plays Chopin according to the Poles, not the other way around :p

In general I love poking fun at stereotypes. This one is old, but it still cracks me up:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/italy

rowanlim
18-05-09, 12:42
@Lara's Nemesis & Changeling: Oh okay :p

@Forwen: My bad :D

adventurerLara
18-05-09, 13:18

:vlol: Australia has to be one of the most stereotyped countries.

The stereotypes of the UK I suppose are we all drink tea, and talk with posh accents.

tomblover
18-05-09, 13:23
No kidding! Too much cholesterol in that one! :p But I love it too :p We should go eating 1 day hehehhe ;)
We should! :vlol:

Hmm... I must think...

Oh, and not all kiddos in their teens are "fjortisar" over here, mind you! Though many are! :p Fjortis would be the Swedish equivalent of chav. :p

XBOXCroft
18-05-09, 13:24
The Philippines was right for a bit.

well technically,
everybody kinda loves rice because it's what we always eat. o_o''
Oh, and a corrupt president with a giant mole on her face. :D

rowanlim
18-05-09, 13:40
We should! :vlol:

I'll show you that Malaysia is more than just nasi lemak :vlol:

Hmmm we do speak with a "-la" at the end of almost every sentence. It's peculiar :p

DaNoNeMoKiId
18-05-09, 14:18
we walk on wooden shoes,
we only eat cheese,

(answer)
Holland!!
(answer)
Are you from Polland or Holland?
Edit: Oh I just saw the white text, weeeee I got it right.

The Philippines was right for a bit.

well technically,
everybody kinda loves rice because it's what we always eat. o_o''
Oh, and a corrupt president with a giant mole on her face. :D
The rice thing, well yea I love rice.
The president bit, I kinda believe it. And the mole isn't just giant but disgusting. :whi: But you didn't hear that from meee.

irjudd
18-05-09, 14:35
But have you ever been to a McDonald's? It's always packed with fat Americans. So that one is true.

Not for me, of course. I don't like McDonald's.

digitizedboy
18-05-09, 14:44
But have you ever been to a McDonald's? It's always packed with fat Americans. So that one is true.

hahaha

But really, it's not just America, in all these shopping malls that I live around people eat out in them. And this is Europe! :o

rowanlim
18-05-09, 14:49

I like McDonald's :(

ShadyCroft
18-05-09, 15:00
I love this thread. Its quite wonderful to see what people say about their country's stereotypes. I do know alot of them, and we sometimes joke about them here, but I for one know in my heart of hearts that this is not exactly how things might be.

I think we're stereotypically known for being...

terrorists
live in tents
have a camel in our backyard
poor and wear rags

I wouldn't say we're a rich country, but we're not all unfortunate of being poor like people imagine.
And we do have most fricking well-known restaurants out there, they're just unfortunately centralized in the capital. We have movie theaters, big ass malls with cafes, bowling alley and other stuff, but they're all in the capital.
Other cities (and mine) are less fortunate, but we do have cafes and restaurants, but not all the luxury of the capital (because most European, Gulf and foreign investments are in the capital).
Other more remote regions are poor.
but we DONT all live in tents like bedouins!!!!

Goose
18-05-09, 15:01

Me to, and Burger king!

I'll have a whopper meal please :p.

ShadyCroft
18-05-09, 15:02
^^ *stomach rumbles*

I haven't eaten dinner yet :(

mizuno_suisei
18-05-09, 15:23
(Australia) Really big spiders and Kangaroos everywhere < Tends to be the most common assumptions.

About my actual city of Perth, According to alot of people in the eastern states, Perth is basically a country town xD

]{eith
18-05-09, 15:28
Ireland

We're drunk.
We're stupid.
We say 'Top o' the morning to you!' (I've never heard an Irish person say this)
We're religious.
We have thick, rediculous accents.
We're poor.
We're farmers.
We all have red hair.

tomblover
18-05-09, 15:33
I'll show you that Malaysia is more than just nasi lemak :vlol:

:mis:

And I love the fact that there's banana pies available in the Malaysian McDonalds-restaurants I've visited! :p It's yummeh... :cln:

TTV
18-05-09, 15:34
I live in Texas.... I'm not a country hick, I don't wana marry my brother, and I'm not obsessive about NASCAR! *Ahem* And hardly anyone here says howdy anymore. Only occasionally.

Also, there are ranches around here, but I live right next to Austin, and it's one of the nations leading high tech city's. So there are not a whole lot of cowboys, hoe downs, square dances and what ever else you can come up with... Though if you go into some of the smaller towns you'll find all sorts of rodeos and such. :D There awesome. :D:jmp: I think my point - if I ever get to it - is that we're not stupid.....

rowanlim
18-05-09, 15:41
And I love the fact that there's banana pies available in the Malaysian McDonalds-restaurants I've visited! :p It's yummeh... :cln:

Haha we have fried chicken, chicken porridge & spicy chicken McDeluxe :D

When are you coming back here eh? :p

Me to, and Burger king!

I'll have a whopper meal please :p.

OMG I love the whopper meal!!

{eith;3659716']Ireland

We have thick, rediculous accents.

We all have red hair.

I love the Irish accent. Someone called me the other day & his accent just made me go :cln:

Plus I love red hair, if I could choose my hair color, I'd go for red :)

Nannonxyay
18-05-09, 15:45
British people do not all speak posh, drink tea, play bowls and eat crumpets.

I drink tea occasionally. :p

And we do not have bad teeth, well not all of us...

Admles
18-05-09, 16:25
British people do not all speak posh, drink tea, play bowls and eat crumpets.

I drink tea occasionally. :p

And we do not have bad teeth, well not all of us...
Damn you guys for taking away all the things we say about Brits. Soon the only thing we will have left to say is "whingeing pom" :D

Mad Tony
18-05-09, 16:33
But like 99% of people put milk in their tea! And dentists do exist over here, as well as toothbrushes and toothpaste.Not according to some of the people I've heard on Xbox Live. That place is ridiculous when it comes to stereotypes, especially Brits and Americans. It's a very rare occasion to hear people from both countries talking in a normal civilized manner. They usually just ***** about whose country is better/worse and go through the same stereotypes over and over again.

Squibbly
18-05-09, 16:51
It's very interesting to read all of your replies! A lot of the stereotypes you all have mentioned I have heard before, but I know they're not true. :p

I don't know where people come up with these ideas!

I was actually speaking once to someone from Ireland, and she asked me where I lived. I said Canada, and then she asked me (and she were serious) how I was able to have a computer and connect to the internet. I wasn't sure what she meant so I asked, and she replied, "Well, you guys live in igloos over there. How can the electricity go through the ice and make the computer work? And how do you have internet?" I wanted to just smash my face on the desk, but I decided to play along. I told her that we can make specially insulated wires now that can work inside ice and handle extreme cold. I also told her that if you're driving to Canada from the United States, right when you get to the Canada/US boarder, it's IMMEDIATELY a blizzard and the temperature drops to -50 C. She was amazed by this. Then I told her I was getting hungry so I needed to get my dogsled ready and do some hunting for blubber, because obviously that's all we eat. :rolleyes:

Come onnnnnnnn. lol

sandygrimm
18-05-09, 16:54
one of many..
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/OnlyRabidSquirrel/BILD4229.jpg

alisteravenger
18-05-09, 17:00
I live in England. Sterotypes are:

We are all extreemly posh. We drink tons of tea and croquet on the lawns of our private mansions. Yeah right-if you were rich enough to own a mansion, the taxman would have collected all of your money already. Darn that Recession.
We speak with a really British accent, the same sort of accent you would expect the queen to have (she doesn't have a COMPLETELY British accent anyway, surprisingly)
It's cold and rainy all the time and we get lots of snow in the winter-I wish.
We don't brush our teeth. I have quite good oral health, actually!

Joely-Moley
18-05-09, 17:02
I'm from Boston, but I'm living in Scotland. There are so many Scottish stereotypes it's unreal. I for one was disappointed that Scottish people aren't like Ground's Keeper Willie. :p

Squibbly
18-05-09, 17:04
I for one, was disappointed, that Scottish people aren't like Ground's Keeper Willie. :p

:vlol: Too bad. What a shame.

Encore
18-05-09, 17:17
I don't think there are any stereotypes out there about Portugal because, quite simply, no one knows a damn about us and most think we're a province of Spain. Well, I guess that would qualify...
When I see portuguese portrayed in, like, american movies and the like, we're always portrayed as exactly like the spanish, or even the italians. Very few foreigners actually understand that we do have our own culture and it's not just the mediterranean cliche (we're not even bathed by the mediterranean!).

TRhalloween
18-05-09, 17:23
It is, but we're making fun of the fact that tourists think they can summon Haggis to them by using a 'Haggis Whistle' :ton: Lara's Nemesis was just being sarcastic.

Non-Educational Delinquent then :p

I meant they are unfamiliar with the concept of a ned.

And "Non-Educational" is incorrect. It's "Un-Educational".

-DaNnEe..
18-05-09, 17:30
Scotland;

Apperntly,
In our spair time we do Scottish Country Dancing
We play the bagpipes. (I bagpipes!)
We always eat haggis. (Lol, haggis is disgusting.)
We are all pale with freckles and ginger hair
We are home to the Loch Ness Monster
Erm, we always drink Irn Bru
And we all have accents and slang words that no one else can understand except other Scots.

:p

jackles
18-05-09, 17:31
Wouldn't that be 'uneducated'?

That would make more sense.

Ah no one had mentioned that Brits are all mad drunks who go abroad and go wild...........

Squibbly
18-05-09, 17:54
I don't think there are any stereotypes out there about Portugal because, quite simply, no one knows a damn about us and most think we're a province of Spain. Well, I guess that would qualify...
When I see portuguese portrayed in, like, american movies and the like, we're always portrayed as exactly like the spanish, or even the italians. Very few foreigners actually understand that we do have our own culture and it's not just the mediterranean cliche (we're not even bathed by the mediterranean!).

I know some stereotypes about Portuguese people. My fiance is Portuguese so he's informed me of a few.

- All they listen to is techno music
- Very self absorbed
- All they eat is bread, fish, and wine
- Very cheap
- Loud

Those are all we can think of right now. Of course I don't believe those things, and my fiance is none of these things, either. :p

TRhalloween
18-05-09, 18:01

Yes.

tomblover
18-05-09, 18:31
Haha we have fried chicken, chicken porridge & spicy chicken McDeluxe :D

When are you coming back here eh? :p
I saw the Fried Chicken but it didn't feel right to eat. :p I saw the McDeluxe, dunno 'bout the chicken porridge. :p

Oh, I'm not sure, next year perhaps? :mis:

Biddy
18-05-09, 18:46
Stuck-up tea-drinking snobs with awful teeth and a love for dry, crass wit.

ThatNorskChick
18-05-09, 18:46
California...like, it's one big giant beach party, dude! We're all tan, blonde, and superficial! *slurps Starbucks*

woody543
18-05-09, 18:47

Ah no one had mentioned that Brits are all mad drunks who go abroad and go wild...........

yeah but that last one is true ;P haha

I wouldnt know im 16

Punaxe
18-05-09, 18:48
Some more about the Netherlands:

- We're all very cheap (see the phrase "to go Dutch")
- We're all very nosy

They're both true though.

violentblossom
18-05-09, 18:49
Not according to some of the people I've heard on Xbox Live. That place is ridiculous when it comes to stereotypes, especially Brits and Americans. It's a very rare occasion to hear people from both countries talking in a normal civilized manner. They usually just ***** about whose country is better/worse and go through the same stereotypes over and over again.

i don't do this with my English friends. :)

weve occasionally joked about a few of these stereotypes, but we mostly talk about games and our lives. :wve:

Mad Tony
18-05-09, 18:56
i don't do this with my English friends. :)

weve occasionally joked about a few of these stereotypes, but we mostly talk about games and our lives. :wve:I don't think most Americans and Brits are like it. I think it's to do with the anonymity of the internet. That and the fact that most of the people on Xbox Live are teens, and it seems like quite a large number of teens from both countries are very uneducated and misinformed about the other country. I dunno, that's just the impression I'm getting.

Lara Coft Baby
18-05-09, 18:59
I dont know any stereotypes of my country but I know a lot for my state :p

Texas is not all bout Bar-BQ's, square dancein', Pecan pies, We don't dress like cowboys and cowgirls all the time. Thou you may see some people wearing cowboy hats some times.

And some of the expressions we say. "Get along little doggy" ?? Or how ever it goes. I outta slap the snot out of a Texan if they say that. :vlol: I will give you "yall" Cause heck even i say it :cln:

We AINT stubborn as mural (spelling?) God i hate that one. It aint us that are stubborn or stupid. Its people in general that are that way. That one makes me mad when people say that. I even went off on a guy on another site when he posted a topic with the title "More Texan Stupidity" I don't care what the topic is about. Pick a different title.....Oh sorry :cln:

I think those are all the stereotypes i can think of right now.

Chocola teapot
18-05-09, 19:23
We eat tea and crumpets all day and night long, speak posh and wear monicles "I say old boy would one like a spot of tea?" Lol or for wales in general... >> I dislike sheep.

Changeling
18-05-09, 19:37
I meant they are unfamiliar with the concept of a ned.

And "Non-Educational" is incorrect. It's "Un-Educational".

I knew what you meant, so I said 'Non Educational Delinquent' because that's what Ned stands for...

I'll just say that a Ned is Scottish version of a Chav then. But then again, not everyone is familiar with the concept of a Chav.

TRhalloween
18-05-09, 19:37
We AINT stubborn as mural (spelling?)

Stubborn as a mule.

I knew what you meant, so I said 'Non Educational Delinquent' because that's what Ned stands for...

No it doesn't. "Noneductional" isn't a word.

Changeling
18-05-09, 19:42
No it doesn't. "Noneductional" isn't a word.

I'm just saying what I've heard.

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 19:53
I'm just saying what I've heard.

It's non-educated delinquent.

Changeling
18-05-09, 19:53

There ya go then. :p

Lemmie
18-05-09, 19:55
I remember someone once trying to explain neds and chavs to an American as 'someone who might be equated to a roughneck'. :D

I think a good stereotype about British people is that we don't express emotion. That we are too self-controlled. Otherwise, a lot of the ones that there are have already been mentioned.

Oh and we don't wear bowler hats all the time. Awesome though that would be.

Chocola teapot
18-05-09, 19:57
I know lol and monicles :D

violentblossom
18-05-09, 20:00
I remember someone once trying to explain neds and chavs to an American as 'someone who might be equated to a roughneck'. :D

I'd equate a Chav with a Juggalo.. something most non Americans haven't heard of.

January_Snow*
18-05-09, 20:09
ooooooo lots of sterotypes about Serbia....where should I begin?

People think we are extremly poor, all killers, that we live in the 19th centery (these three sum all of them up) :)

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 20:10
I'd equate a Chav with a Juggalo.. something most non Americans haven't heard of.

I have cetainly never heard of that term. I'm not sure if it is the same thing. Here is a lovely picture of some Glasgow neds. :D

http://i40.************/j98ped.jpg

violentblossom
18-05-09, 20:18
I have cetainly never heard of that term. I'm not sure if it is the same thing. Here is a lovely picture of some Glasgow neds. :D

Its not the same thing exactly, but the attitude is generally the same, as well as the amount of bad manners and lack of education, and the general public's feeling towards them. Oh, and they wear clown makeup. :rolleyes:

http://i44.************/5plzwh.jpg

TRfan23
18-05-09, 20:19
Well for the British stereotypes to go straight to my mum

1. You'll be amazed how many flipping times I have to waste to make bloody tea for her :(
2. Embarrassing enough she's very snobby, geez she enters the outlet shopping center near where I live. Yeh it's nice and sunny outside, but she goes "Oh why aren't these people sitting and eating in their gardens, instead of indoors... blah blah blah" Everywhere we go, she always makes a comment! Urgh! :o

http://i40.************/j98ped.jpg

Ok the one in the center with the white and blue top, with the words in the middle is quite hot :cln:... Or that could just be my glasses? :pi:

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 20:20
To be fair the Glasgow neds would probably look better with clown make up on.:p

Lara Coft Baby
18-05-09, 20:20
Stubborn as a mule.

Ahh see i knew i was spelling it wrong :vlol:

TRhalloween
18-05-09, 20:22

There ya go then. :p

No it isn't!

It most likely comes from the term 'Teddy boy'

'Noneducated' doesn't make any bloody sense!

Forwen
18-05-09, 20:24
Why don't you just make it "nearly-educated" then ;)

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 20:25
No it isn't!

Try googling non educated delinquent. :ton:

Changeling
18-05-09, 20:33
No it isn't!

No need to get so uptight about it, geez...

Your_Envy*
18-05-09, 20:34
ooooooo lots of sterotypes about Serbia....where should I begin?

People think we are extremly poor, all killers, that we live in the 19th centery (these three sum all of them up) :)

Ahahahahaha! :vlol: Good for you! :D I also heard you're extremely proud people. :D

TRhalloween
18-05-09, 20:42

It's incorrect. "Non-educated" is not a word. Logic prevails over people's beliefs. One person says it's that way then loads of other people catch on. You can't trust these websites.

erosan
18-05-09, 20:44
It's very interesting to read all of your replies! A lot of the stereotypes you all have mentioned I have heard before, but I know they're not true. :p

I don't know where people come up with these ideas!

I was actually speaking once to someone from Ireland, and she asked me where I lived. I said Canada, and then she asked me (and she were serious) how I was able to have a computer and connect to the internet. I wasn't sure what she meant so I asked, and she replied, "Well, you guys live in igloos over there. How can the electricity go through the ice and make the computer work? And how do you have internet?" I wanted to just smash my face on the desk, but I decided to play along. I told her that we can make specially insulated wires now that can work inside ice and handle extreme cold. I also told her that if you're driving to Canada from the United States, right when you get to the Canada/US boarder, it's IMMEDIATELY a blizzard and the temperature drops to -50 C. She was amazed by this. Then I told her I was getting hungry so I needed to get my dogsled ready and do some hunting for blubber, because obviously that's all we eat. :rolleyes:

Come onnnnnnnn. lol

omg that's hilarious hahahaha.

another stereotype i heard is that we eat everything with maple syrup >.>

Lara's Nemesis
18-05-09, 20:45
It's incorrect. "Non-educated" is not a word. Logic prevails over people's beliefs. One person says it's that way then loads of other people catch on. You can't trust these websites.

I think that definition of it is a fairly recent one. It is true that Teddy Boys were called neds in the 50's as well so you are probably right.

Squibbly
18-05-09, 20:47
omg that's hilarious hahahaha.

another stereotype i heard is that we eat everything with maple syrup >.>

Yes, we pour maple syrup all over our plates of seal blubber. :p

telcontar
18-05-09, 21:07
We didn't have any since nobody knew about us... but that was before Sacha Baron Cohen decided to make that movie...

Joely-Moley
18-05-09, 21:16
I always heard it was Non educated delinquent. :o
What do I know though, I'm not even from here. :p

Squibbly
18-05-09, 22:49
I think "non educated" is technically incorrect, but like it matters these days... "w00t" is in the dictionary, and "n00b" is being considered. The English language is definitely going downhill.

Wayne_Scales
18-05-09, 23:11
It's true people!:D
http://i40.************/2e4yvs3.jpg

MiCkiZ88
18-05-09, 23:30
Well I can't say much about the netherlands since I've only been here for half a year, but as for Finland:

It's always snowing (hardly)
It's too bloody cold (mind you we have summers with temperatures of over 30c in shade)
People like to drink themselves completely wasted and continue drinking in the morning (true in most cases actually)
Cursing (true)
Like to go to Sauna all the time (no comment..)
Live in the middle of nowhere in a small wooden cabin with a fire stove (ahah... funnegh)

digitizedboy
19-05-09, 00:28
It's true people!:D
http://i40.************/2e4yvs3.jpg

I'm half Irish, and it pees me off that we get sterotyped actually. We have leprechauns that give people luck. rofl.

Aphrodite22
19-05-09, 01:39
i live in chile.. first of all nobody knows it exists.. second we are not poor.. third everyone believes we r like this..

and no we arent! ive lots of friends who r blonde n blue eyed

:vlol::vlol:
http://www.bariloche.com.ar/museo/MUJFOYEL.GIF

anyway i hate my country

Jedd Fletcher
19-05-09, 01:43
This is a good thread, there are definitely too many misconceptions about almost all the countries out there floating around. The stereotype is that Singapore is Disneyland with the Death Penalty" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland_with_the_Death_Penalty), that everything is pristine in a "1984" kinda way but the police will arrest you and lock you in jail if you litter. The stereotype was definitely reinforced by the whole Michael Fay incident. I'm grateful that Singapore is a safe place to live and it definitely does not feel like we citizens are being oppressed.

LaraLuvrrr
19-05-09, 01:49
Lets seeee.....
Stereotypes of Americans

-Trying to find a quick fix for everything
-Fat because they eat too much fast food
-Greedy and always looking to make a quick buck
-Ethnocentric and acting as the world bully
-Stressed out and generally unfriendly
-Bad fashion sense because they prefer comfort (to Europeans anyways) ex. the dreaded "clog" shoes.
-And I guess I would say that the youth is stereotyped as lazy, obsessed with technology, and very narcissistic. Oh yea and dumb compared to the students of other nations.
-Obsessed with fame and money and i guess power

I'm not sure if I missed any... but I have to admit alot of these are very true. But there's also plenty of Americans everywhere that are not this way. So ultimately they're just stereotypes.

Aphrodite22
19-05-09, 01:57
Lets seeee.....
Stereotypes of Americans

-Trying to find a quick fix for everything
-Fat because they eat too much fast food
-Greedy and always looking to make a quick buck
-Ethnocentric and acting as the world bully
-Stressed out and generally unfriendly
-Bad fashion sense because they prefer comfort (to Europeans anyways) ex. the dreaded "clog" shoes.
-And I guess I would say that the youth is stereotyped as lazy, obsessed with technology, and very narcissistic. Oh yea and dumb compared to the students of other nations.
-Obsessed with fame and money and i guess power

I'm not sure if I missed any... but I have to admit alot of these are very true. But there's also plenty of Americans everywhere that are not this way. So ultimately they're just stereotypes.

most of my sister's friends who stay in usa for i dunno.. at least 2 months come back a lil fater lol .. i wonder why that happens :rolleyes:

LaraLuvrrr
19-05-09, 02:20
most of my sister's friends who stay in usa for i dunno.. at least 2 months come back a lil fater lol .. i wonder why that happens :rolleyes:

lol well if they're on vacation here then they have plenttyyy of calorie laden foods to plump em up. I gained 5 pounds in a week once when I visited my sister in Chicago, IL. And i was just there for a week :D But the food is sooo yummy :mis: No im not a fat American I actually eat really health and am very thin lol :p

oocladableeblah
19-05-09, 02:23
That we are fat is probably like the biggest.
I am just gonna say the ones for my state rather than the entire us, specifically southern :p (some of these are from foreign exchange students).

We drive while talking on cell phones, putting on make up, and with our starbucks coffee.

We don't really stop at stop signs (this is actually pretty true and it is called the california stop :p) we just kind of roll slow down to like a near stop and then just go.

That we are rich and live near all the hollywood celebrities.

That we are like the tv show the OC

AmericanAssassin
19-05-09, 02:39
People say Americans are typically stupid and make decisions based on just about nothing. It's true. Except, I'm amazing of course. :whi:

Mad Tony
19-05-09, 06:07
most of my sister's friends who stay in usa for i dunno.. at least 2 months come back a lil fater lol .. i wonder why that happens :rolleyes:Probably because people tend to eat more food when they go on holiday. That always happens to me when I go to another country. :wve:

Ikas90
19-05-09, 06:43
I heard that Pizza in America has sugar on it.

I'd like to know if this is true or not. :)

Forwen
19-05-09, 06:46

Absolutely true, also they won't eat a sandwich that doesn't have crisps in it.

Lintal
19-05-09, 07:26
One thing i hate. I think its more Ignorant than Stereotypical though. People who don't have the brains to look at a map. Thinking that New Zealand and Australia are the same country. Or joint together :confused:

Jedd Fletcher
19-05-09, 07:37
^^Hahahaha, I know. I look at anyone who thinks that very strangely, it's a very ignorant thing. Also, one talkshow host in the States asked her New Zealander-guests in jest "how many kangaroos do you each have?", to which they answered sheepishly "you mean Australia...".

scoopy_loopy
19-05-09, 07:57
Steve Irwin. Enough said.

calico25
19-05-09, 09:58

Alot of it has to do with how spread out everything is in the states and with how much we drive as opposed to walking and public transportation. Whenever I visit family in the UK I walk and take buses everywhere and maybe set foot in a car a few times. Where as, my life at home in the states revolves around driving everywhere. To try to equal the amount of exercise I would get in the UK I would have to get on a bike or treadmill for an hour a day. Very few places in the states are like the UK and Europe in these ways and they have the least problems with obesity.

Haaaydeen
19-05-09, 10:04
I live in Australia and I am in high school, year 8.

The most popular stereotypes in our school would be boys showing their undies at the back and all the boys pretty much have rats tails in their hair, they have it platted, none of them wwear hats or anything. wear singlets all the time and thats it. I am none of them.

scoopy_loopy
19-05-09, 12:36

The most popular stereotypes in our school would be boys showing their undies at the back and all the boys pretty much have rats tails in their hair, they have it platted, none of them wwear hats or anything. wear singlets all the time and thats it. I am none of them.

lol.

Lots of people's underwear shows - not just Australian mens' - thats why it pays to invest in a nice pair :tea: !

Changeling
19-05-09, 12:51

I believe you're thinking of cliques and how people dress and act in a group (usually at school), not stereotypes.

Dennis's Mom
19-05-09, 13:02
Absolutely true, also they won't eat a sandwich that doesn't have crisps in it.

*thwap* Neither of those is true. :D

I live in Texas, which is like a whole other country. I've never owned a horse or had an oilwell. I don't even have a pair of cowboy boots or a pickup truck.

I do have a great Texas accent though. :D

Squibbly
19-05-09, 13:23

I don't think so. I live in Canada and we have a lot of the same things that the US does, and I've never heard of that. I've also been to New York and Michigan a few times, and have never heard of or seen that. I find it strange that they (at least in the states I was in) sell pizza at Subway, lol. Here, or at least the province I live in, Subway is strictly subs. :p

Your_Envy*
19-05-09, 13:33
One thing i hate. I think its more Ignorant than Stereotypical though. People who don't have the brains to look at a map. Thinking that New Zealand and Australia are the same country. Or joint together :confused:

Hahaha now I remember something.. :vlol: Many people have no idea where Slovenia is or they think this is the same as Slovakia. :vlol: Oh dear.. :vlol:

January_Snow*
19-05-09, 13:36
Ahahahahaha! :vlol: Good for you! :D I also heard you're extremely proud people. :D

well this is true :D :D :D :D :D :D

Survival
19-05-09, 14:58
Czechoslovakia doesn´t exist anymore. We´ve seperated 15 years ago. It´s Czech Republic and Slovakia... two separate states.

tombraiderluka
19-05-09, 15:10
Serbia

It's a warm climate country, people often mix it for Siberia

Not all of the Serbs are bad as the country's politicians, in fact it's a very polite, hardworking nation xD

Not all Serbs hate and want war with the neighbor countries :)

That's some of the stereotypes of my country that I've heard, if there's anything you heard about this country, say it :D

Dina_Croft
19-05-09, 15:13
In greece:
we are bored all the time
all our politicians are as****s
we party all the time
we break dishes and say opa!(lol)
and more i can't remember...
(there all true by the way..:P )

Mad Tony
19-05-09, 15:17

I'd like to know if this is true or not. :)I think frozen pizzas do generally have small amounts of sugar in them because they can help preserve the pizza and enhance the taste. It's definitely not some American thing though because I know pizzas here have small amounts of sugar in them. I expect wherever you go the frozen pizzas will have small amounts of sugar in them. As for fresh pizzas, no they don't. I know because I've made pizzas from scratch before and there is absolutely no sugar at all.

violentblossom
19-05-09, 15:35

that's the only one i know of.

oh, and supposedly, you guys eat olives in everything.

ShadyCroft
19-05-09, 16:26
Czechoslovakia doesn´t exist anymore. We´ve seperated 15 years ago. It´s Czech Republic and Slovakia... two separate states.

and the capital is Prague. ;) No worries, am pretty sure alot of people know that !

In greece:
we are bored all the time
all our politicians are as****s
we party all the time

And you make good wine. :whi:

*has some*

Survival
19-05-09, 16:29
and the capital is Prague. ;) No worries, am pretty sure alot of people know that !

You would be suprised... even some TV shows still get it wrong :D

Squibbly
19-05-09, 18:01
I knew Czechoslovakia didn't exist anymore! Woooo. *feels special for about 1.2 seconds*

Survival
19-05-09, 18:05
I knew Czechoslovakia didn't exist anymore! Woooo. *feels special for about 1.2 seconds*

*gives Squibbly a cookie* :D

Squibbly
19-05-09, 18:07
:yah:

Forwen
19-05-09, 18:09
What do you mean Czechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore? That bloody travel agent conned me again!

Survival
19-05-09, 18:10
What do you mean Czechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore? That bloody travel agent conned me again!

Well... you´re from Poland right? We´re like neighbours so you should know this stuff... so it´s basically your own fault that you´re such easy prey :p:D

Forwen
19-05-09, 18:16
Not Germany but close enough. Oh well. The mountains aren't going anywhere...

Survival
19-05-09, 18:18
Not Germany but close enough. Oh well. The mountains aren't going anywhere...

I fixed my post few minutes ago when I found your first post in this thread :D.

rowanlim
19-05-09, 18:18

What? It doesn't exist? :confused:

Survival
19-05-09, 18:20

*head explodes*

:vlol::p

rowanlim
19-05-09, 18:24
Coz some people still talk about it, nothing new though :p

*slinks away in embarrassment*

Forwen
19-05-09, 18:24

Shouldn't you girl be asleep? Or are you Kuala Lumpurans (???) all nocturnal creatures due to excessive amount of neons you grew up with?

toxicraider
19-05-09, 18:26

Well, tomatoes have sugar in, so I guess... :p

Survival
19-05-09, 18:31

Shouldn't you girl be asleep? Or are you Kuala Lumpurans (???) all nocturnal creatures due to excessive amount of neons you grew up with?

:vlol: Can´t... brea...the :D

Coz some people still talk about it, nothing new though :p

*slinks away in embarrassment*

Don´t be embarrassed it´s quite commong.. it´s not like we´re some recognizable superstate anyway :p:D

Admles
19-05-09, 18:44
Another stereotype is that Australians are nothing but bleach-haired muscle-bound beach bums, walking up and down the beach all day, cracking walnuts between our arse cheeks.

But I must tell you that NOT ALL our women are like that :D

(50 points who knows where that quote came from)

violentblossom
19-05-09, 18:54
Another stereotype is that Australians are nothing but bleach-haired muscle-bound beach bums, walking up and down the beach all day, cracking walnuts between our arse cheeks.

But I must tell you that NOT ALL our women are like that :D

(50 points who knows where that quote came from)

i don't know where that's from, but i think we all assume that all Australians are hawt. :D

Admles
19-05-09, 19:04
i don't know where that's from, but i think we all assume that all Australians are hawt. :D
Another untrue Australian stereotype..... we are not all hot

I'm a pefect example :(

Marianna12
19-05-09, 19:08

Aawww! Why should you think something like that?:(:(:(:(:(
:hug:

violentblossom
19-05-09, 19:22

i've never seen you, but i'm going go forth and call you a liar. :ton:

its in your blood, don't deny it. :ohn:

Admles
19-05-09, 19:24
i've never seen you, but i'm going go forth and call you a liar. :ton:

its in your blood, don't deny it. :ohn:
There is a photo of me _somewhere_ in the forum........ hopefully you can't find it :D

Well, its in MGC pic thread, so you probably will hehe

Dingaling
19-05-09, 20:24
Probably because people tend to eat more food when I go on holiday. That always happens to me when I go to another country. :wve:

It's deffo true that when you go on holiday we all eat more food. When you go there's actually food for us! :p*

Question: Do sterotypes annoy you or make you angry? Or does it depend on the context of their use?

* Just playing on the error :D.

Trigger_happy
19-05-09, 21:10
Question: Do sterotypes annoy you or make you angry? Or does it depend on the context of their use?

For me it depends on how its used. Discussed like this, its fine, but when it thrown up on the 'net as a "valid" way" of winning an argument, then its annoying.

How would my supposedly black and squishy teeth prevent me from forming a coherent reply to an argument?

Changeling
19-05-09, 22:29

It depends on how it's being used. A topic like this is fine, I'm not angry or annoyed by it. But I remember our school did a pen-pal system where you and someone from a different country swapped letters. I had a female pen-pal in America and wrote to her, telling her that I lived in the north of Scotland. In her response, she said something along the lines of,

"The north of Scotland? How on earth did you get paper? Don't you guys live in huts, hunt for food and worship Pagan Gods and stuff like that? Plus it snows the whole time, aren't you freezing? Do you guys get to keep penguins as pets? We only get to keep cats and dogs and things like that. Do you know what they are?"

Not joking.

Then it annoys me. :p

Lew
19-05-09, 22:34
Some people think were posh and that we like to act all stuck up, another one is that we drink too much in nightclubs on a weekend because our drinking age is 18. Although i'm not bothered by either.... tbh i think id rather prefer to be called posh than.... well not.

Forwen
19-05-09, 23:47
stion: Do sterotypes annoy you or make you angry? Or does it depend on the context of their use?

Not at all, they're brilliant joke material :D

lacryjr
20-05-09, 00:15
Brazil

- There are thieves here as anywhere.
- Our women are not only in this stereotype (http://static.blogstorage.hi-pi.com/bloguepessoal.com/m/mi/mimado/images/gd/1222635142.jpg). We have this (http://babado.ig.com.br/images/17/17/17/839693.babado_ana_hickmann_1gente___fotos_225_300. jpg) too.
- The carnival the way some of you see, only happens in two of 26 states. There are far more cultures than it, like the 'Junina Party'.
- Amazon don't stay on the entire country.

I think that's it the most common.

Tombraiderx08
20-05-09, 00:42
Hicks, hillbillys, rednecks, stupid people who are lazy, drink beer all day, only eat fast food, fat people, list goes on for us americans, and its funny because i know very few americans like that :D

Thorir
20-05-09, 15:47
We are filthy rich, gorgeous looking, attention craving, suicidal alcoholic communists who likes winter sports and walking up mountains.
This is mostly true. :)

corey01
20-05-09, 15:53
I think the only steriotypical thing about Wales is that we're all sheep shaggers ahahaha :p

Nah, Some people think some people in South Wales are rich, stuck up snobs, most probably because we dont talk valleys like they do in the Northern parts haha.

Chocola teapot
20-05-09, 15:58
:o Its quite upsettig actually...and on that note I'm not welsh anymore LOL I'm BRITISH! I dislike sheep.

corey01
20-05-09, 16:01
:o Its quite upsettig actually...and on that note I'm not welsh anymore LOL I'm BRITISH! I dislike sheep.

TRAITOR, Haa jokes :p I'm proud to be classed as British, but some people I know hate it! :/

ShadyCroft
20-05-09, 16:24
If we use stereotypes as a hearty laugh so we would actually know they're not true (Russell Peters), or as they're being used in this thread, then that's fine.
If stereotypes were used in an insulting way or to imply a bad thing, then it annoys me...and not just the ones about my country.

One of my friends refused to watch Slumdog Millionaire because it has Indian people and he said they're filthy and have a not so good-looking dark skin color. :rolleyes:

Dina_Croft
20-05-09, 16:26
that's the only one i know of.

oh, and supposedly, you guys eat olives in everything.

well yuh huh...in every food..xaxa..it's delicious:D

tampi
20-05-09, 18:21
http://i39.************/fnzgoy.jpg

disapearing-boy
20-05-09, 20:37
Well you all know the stereotypical Irish;

We're not all drunks
We don't shag sheep
We don't believe in Leprechauns (they wear red not green according to the stories:o)
We're not all die hard Catholics
We don't hate Protestants or British people
We're not all terrorists
WE DO NOT SPEAK WITH THAT ACCENT unless your from Ulster (the North) but even then Americans always do it horribly wrong
We have modern technology
Yes we have toilets:mad: (yes, i was asked once)
We're not all farmers
Sheep do not block all roads (though it's not uncommon in some very isolated areas)
We can't all do the Riverdance or play ceili music
We're not all ginger
Or freckled
We do not live in thatched cottages or castles (although my neighbours do live in a castle actually)

A common 18th/early 19th centuary stereotype portrayed us like Neanderthals and cave men in many drawings (Punch magazine is an example)
:(

GameGlitcher77
20-05-09, 21:59

I don't get that one at all.:confused::confused:

TRhalloween
20-05-09, 22:02

I don't get it

Well you all know the stereotypical Irish;

We're not all drunks
We don't shag sheep
We don't believe in Leprechauns (they wear red not green according to the stories:o)
We're not all die hard Catholics
We don't hate Protestants or British people
We're not all terrorists
WE DO NOT SPEAK WITH THAT ACCENT unless your from Ulster (the North) but even then Americans always do it horribly wrong
We have modern technology
Yes we have toilets:mad: (yes, i was asked once)
We're not all farmers
Sheep do not block all roads (though it's not uncommon in some very isolated areas)
We can't all do the Riverdance or play ceili music
We're not all ginger
Or freckled
We do not live in thatched cottages or castles (although my neighbours do live in a castle actually)

A common 18th/early 19th centuary stereotype portrayed us like Neanderthals and cave men in many drawings (Punch magazine is an example)
:(

I haven't heard the terrorist one.

Squibbly
20-05-09, 22:03
One of my friends refused to watch Slumdog Millionaire because it has Indian people and he said they're filthy and have a not so good-looking dark skin color. :rolleyes:

I would call that racism towards Indian people and not stereotypes of their country. Racism is one of those things I will never understand. Hate against our own kind is one of the worst things that goes on in our world, and it's people like your friend (sorry) who won't let it get any better.

We are all human beings. Cut us all open and we will all bleed red.

Mad Tony
20-05-09, 22:16
I haven't heard the terrorist one.I've never heard the sheep one before. I've heard the terrorist one many times though, still doesn't make it true.

TRfan23
20-05-09, 22:44
One stereotype my dad said about Yorkshire was that, they're all dumb and not bright, as a lot of people have said this.
I don't actually know if it's a stereo-type asuch?
Yet I had an English teacher, when I was in year 10, who was from Yorkshire and she was bright and knew a lot of stuff.

Encore
20-05-09, 23:02

I don't get it

Basically the idea is that the top management positions of the company do nothing useful and Juan Perez, the low paid probably immigrant dude, is the one that does all the actual work. :p

dcw123
20-05-09, 23:06
A big thing I hate is other countires (esp. USA) Think that us Brits all drink tea and talk posh... "Jolly good show old chap":ton: LOL

I watched the Simpsons episode where they visit London. Set in 2003 BTW.
Totally not like London:p It looked like the 60's or something - nothing like it REALLY is HaHa

Aphrodite22
20-05-09, 23:37

i dont get it either lol

edit:

Basically the idea is that the top management positions of the company do nothing useful and Juan Perez, the low paid probably immigrant dude, is the one that does all the actual work. :p

ooohh .. right

croft94
21-05-09, 03:27

scoopy_loopy
21-05-09, 10:29
Another one is that all Australians are laid back and really, really lazy.

Well. Im not laid back at all. Im a total stress ball.

But Id agree on the fact that 99.9% of Aussies are REALLY lazy :D
(Maybe thats what laid back was meant to refer too :p )

Suzan
21-05-09, 13:27
Finns are quiet and shy, but loud and violent when they get drunk. Which they do pretty much all the time...

That's the most common stereotype, I don't actually know what others are there. But it's true that Finns are alot more quiet than people in many other countries. We never ever talk to strangers. And when we drink, everything just comes out haha.

tampi
21-05-09, 14:46

I don't get it

i dont get it either lol

edit:

ooohh .. right

NO!NO! NO! :ohn:

Only one person is working. All others are watching. All are workers.

All are wearing work clothes and all have equal standing in the company. But only one is working.:o
The title is to explain that all those who are looking are like bosses, but they are not.
This is quite widespread in all the work of our society. Everywhere someone is truly valid, honest and hard working. Most of them specialists away from work.

Also, many people think that we always dressed flamenco look :p

http://i39.************/6692qa.jpg

TRhalloween
21-05-09, 14:59
^^^
So Encore was right then.

Zebra
21-05-09, 15:06
I think the biggest German stereotypes are that everyone here is called Hans, that everyone has a Bavarian accent, wears leather pants and spends the day drinking beer and eating sausages :p.

Most of those aren't true, of course. The Bavarian accent is only spoken in Bavaria, leather pants aren't worn more often than in other countries and the name Hans is barely popular anymore :p. Can't say much about the beer drinking...might be true that Germans drink more beer than others.

Admles
21-05-09, 15:11
Another one is that all Australians are laid back and really, really lazy.

Well. Im not laid back at all. Im a total stress ball.

But Id agree on the fact that 99.9% of Aussies are REALLY lazy :D
(Maybe thats what laid back was meant to refer too :p )
We are not lazy, we are hard workers.

We are just relaxed about it.

tampi
21-05-09, 15:34
^^^
So Encore was right then.

Not because they are not really "managers" of anything. They are also ordinary workers. Look at theirs clothes. ;):)

Larapink
21-05-09, 16:42
I don't know, but since it's TRF Lara seems to be a big stereotype for us on these forums. :p

ShadyCroft
21-05-09, 16:46
Also, many people think that we always dressed flamenco look :p

Wait!!! What ?! You don't ? :p

j/k I know you guys don't.

Cloe Christina
21-05-09, 16:57
i hate the people around me sometimes.....i am blond AND a girls so people think i am dum and i aint capable of anything.....when they ask me what my hobbies are and i say playing computer games....there facial expression changes and there like REALLY.......well it aint true....i am quite smart and i am quit good on the playstation.....(not being ig headed....just saying)....

Encore
21-05-09, 18:44
I think the biggest German stereotypes are that everyone here is called Hans, that everyone has a Bavarian accent, wears leather pants and spends the day drinking beer and eating sausages :p.

Most of those aren't true, of course. The Bavarian accent is only spoken in Bavaria, leather pants aren't worn more often than in other countries and the name Hans is barely popular anymore :p. Can't say much about the beer drinking...might be true that Germans drink more beer than others.

I'm a bit of a "germanophile" and the stereotype I hate the most is the taboo one you didn't mention, that everything german immediately reminds of nazism. Just the other day I saw youtube comments about Die Toten Hosen being nazis. Why? It's not like they said anything to remotely suggest it. In fact those who write these things probably don't even understand the language. They just post those things because they're german, period. :rolleyes:

Forwen
21-05-09, 18:50

No? I thought all you do is watch Star Wurst starring a certain Hans Olo :confused:

Ok I'll stop now.

FourBalls
21-05-09, 19:03
No stereotypes about Estonia really...Or maybe just the fact that people think we're all communists and a part of Russia :) We're not, lol.

larafan25
21-05-09, 20:05
well aparently us Canadians have an accent,and we say EH! and awful lot....but I don't think so:)

Cloe Christina
21-05-09, 20:27
No? I thought all you do is watch Star Wurst starring a certain Hans Olo :confused:

Ok I'll stop now.

lol....i get it.....i have german blood and when i tell people that there like oh my god really.....you can tell by the nose i have lol....

Lara's Nemesis
21-05-09, 21:00

A common one in the UK about Germans is that they are always 1st to use their beach towels to reserve the loungers at holiday resorts. :vlol:

No idea if there is any truth in it.

Nerd For Life
21-05-09, 21:17
I think one of the stereotypes of my country is that we're all religion freaks.

We're not.

Squibbly
21-05-09, 22:15
well aparently us Canadians have an accent,and we say EH! and awful lot....but I don't think so:)

Heyyy I didn't know you were Canadian. :p
We have accents if we're compared to other accents around the world (because everyone does), but not those ridiculous accents like the link I posted at the very beginning of this thread. And I never say "eh". I don't really know anyone that does. :p

Admles
21-05-09, 22:26
Yeah, the Canadian stereotype is the saying of "Eh" and "aboot" instead of "about".

Squibbly
21-05-09, 22:29
Yeah, the Canadian stereotype is the saying of "Eh" and "aboot" instead of "about".

Yeah, but honestly we don't. I have NO idea who ever came up with that. :p

Twilight
22-05-09, 06:04
American stereotype is that we're all stupid, fat, lazy, arrogant, uneducated, ungrateful, bratty, egotistical, polluting, racist, fast-food inhaling idiots.

i'm not like that. which is why i don't believe in stereotypes.

scoopy_loopy
22-05-09, 08:17
American stereotype is that we're all stupid, fat, lazy, arrogant, uneducated, ungrateful, bratty, egotistical, polluting, racist, fast-food inhaling idiots.

That just about sums it up, yeah :D

Chocola teapot
22-05-09, 09:34
America thinks we have Bad teeth?!?! :mad:
Mine are sexy.

Mad Tony
22-05-09, 10:14
America thinks we have Bad teeth?!?! :mad:
Mine are sexy.http://www.actionfig.com/simpsons/db/data/1017725337_30181.jpg

I've always found the British stereotypes on The Simpsons rather funny, regardless of how false they are. :p

Chocola teapot
22-05-09, 10:17
Oh my! :D

dexter void
22-05-09, 10:29
:eek:

But...how? :p

I’ve just asked my work colleague who is Malaysian. He said it's true that no-one really knows Malaysia. But he also said that Malaysians love White people and look down on themselves! - I find that quite shocking.:(

He always has to explain to people that its near Singapore!

disapearing-boy
22-05-09, 10:42

I've had it said to my face:o but it was by a bunch of 4-6yr olds so what do they know lol:D! I was 13 at the time though
*First and only time i ever considered kicking a child.. I didn't though*

I've never heard the sheep one before. I've heard the terrorist one many times though, still doesn't make it true.

I think anyone in Ireland or Britain gets tagged automatically as a sheep shagger, i mean sheep appear in loadsa countries:confused:

A big thing I hate is other countires (esp. USA) Think that us Brits all drink tea and talk posh... "Jolly good show old chap":ton: LOL

I watched the Simpsons episode where they visit London. Set in 2003 BTW.
Totally not like London:p It looked like the 60's or something - nothing like it REALLY is HaHa

And yet, when they went to Ireland they portrayed it as modern with the Celtic tiger and micr o' soft which was much more accurate than the usual stereotype, although the Irish cops had English cop cars and uniforms with Irish accents. That was annoying lol

At the premiere of that episode in Dublin, i think it was Nancy Carthwright who said it was her first trip to the UK, many famous people have made that mistake, i think Justin Timberlake once commented on his Dublin concert saying, it was his best UK gig:cen:
I have nothing against England at all (going to London this summer whoo!) but it bothers me when people assume we're part of it.

But I once called a Belgian guy 'Dutch' cos they speak alot of Dutch there.. i felt so bad:o

scoopy_loopy
22-05-09, 10:45
I think anyone in Ireland or Britain gets tagged automatically as a sheep shagger, i mean sheep appear in loadsa countries:confused:

Dont worry, the Kiwi's **** sheep too :wve:

Mad Tony
22-05-09, 10:56
I think anyone in Ireland or Britain gets tagged automatically as a sheep shagger, i mean sheep appear in loadsa countries:confused:Do we? The only people I've ever heard that stereotypes used against is the Welsh.

Johnnay
22-05-09, 12:49
about Lebanon. i doubt ppl would say this

we ***** about Israel and their true nature in general ( and thats hezbollah mainly saying this)

israel will have revenge After their defeat against Hezbollah( or should i say "mini iran") and that time is soon........... maybe their * biggest military exercise* on may 31 - june 4th. should they target my Lebanon revenge will come.

many tourists come here each year

we have very healthy food

beirut is the paris of the middle east

somethings to do with Syria

and thats all for now

Armenia

i really dont know much but

we have good hospitality

we are better than the Turks

we prevented 2 Turkic states from joining:D

an old myth. we might have jewish blood in us( and that is possibly true)

we are more european than asian

and all for now

]{eith
22-05-09, 12:56
Do we? The only people I've ever heard that stereotypes used against is the Welsh.

I don't know about England and Scotland but sheep-shagging is a big Irish stereotype, although I think it's more contained within the country and usually used by those living in cities against those who live in the country.

The whole "Cultchie Cliché" thing.

Forwen
22-05-09, 13:03
many tourists come here each year

I would really like to come to Lebanon, but it appears I won't be let in if I have an Israeli stamp in my passport :( Maybe I'll need to revise my holiday plans.

Marianna12
22-05-09, 14:41
Greeks love food and parties...That's all I know!

I've heard that Irish people are very proud!:pi:

]{eith
22-05-09, 15:34
I've heard that Irish people are very proud!:pi:

I can't speak for everyone in the country but I can tell you I myself am a very proud Irishman. But I guess that applies to every country. :D

Cheenie
22-05-09, 15:52
Well, I heard Americans think all Britons have to drink tea everyday at 4 pm, have 1 accent and of course speak posh. :D Why does it matter what time I drink tea?

About Poland:
We don't do the thinking, no common sense whatsoever, most people from there are almost always red (even if it's not blushing), the common association would be beer/vodka and there's little population left because of the emigration. :p I can only say the fourth one is a big problem, loads of underaged people there drink alcohol...

nickless
22-05-09, 15:55
i don't actually know because noone really knows us :pi: and the ones who do think we are some neanderthals or something.and it's all because of the politicians :pi:....

ShadyCroft
22-05-09, 17:28
^^ Hey, wait a sec...ofcourse we know about you. You participated in the Quidditch World cup afew years ago. :D

Oh wait...:confused:

the ancient
22-05-09, 18:27
i am from belgium and why does people say french frittes :hea: we invented the frittes so it is belguim frittes :D

Minty Mouth
22-05-09, 19:03
Do we? The only people I've ever heard that stereotypes used against is the Welsh.

Yeah I thouhgt so too, thats Welsh isnt it.

Changeling
22-05-09, 19:04
Orkney is also hit hard by the sheep shagging insult, as well as Shetland.

Nerd For Life
22-05-09, 22:49
^^ Hey, wait a sec...ofcourse we know about you. You participated in the Quidditch World cup afew years ago. :D

Oh wait...:confused:

LOL I thought the same! I'd like to visit Bulgaria. :)

Fallen.Angel
22-05-09, 23:10
The one I hear the most about Americans; we eat McDonald's all the time... =/
Also since I live in Wisconsin; a lot of people think that all we really do is go hunting and refer to us as hicks or rednecks.

Can't really think of anything else.

violentblossom
22-05-09, 23:36
Also since I live in Wisconsin; a lot of people think that all we really do is go hunting and refer to us as hicks or rednecks.

Can't really think of anything else.

do people in Wisconsin eat lots of cheese? :D

Mad Tony
23-05-09, 12:19

Can't really think of anything else.Lol, isn't Wisconsin one of America's northernmost states? :p

NemesisxAngelus
23-05-09, 12:27
We tend to walk around in clogs.
We tend to eat lots of cheese.
We tend to be high everyday.
We tend to visit the red light district quite often.

:p

Dan-d
23-05-09, 13:39
People think that we are still in USSR era. Lenin is our best friend. We're
drinking vodka with bears in the woods. And there's always snowy of course.
Oh and we fighting a lot and always unshaved.
Blah taht :tea:

Admles
23-05-09, 14:00
Is it true that Utah is full of Mormons? Or is that just anothe stereotype?

violentblossom
23-05-09, 14:12
Lol, isn't Wisconsin one of America's northernmost states? :p

Yeah, thus the irony. :vlol:

Is it true that Utah is full of Mormons? Or is that just anothe stereotype?

Oh no, Utah really is full of Mormons. :p There's even a Mormon college there.