PDA

View Full Version : So is Cynthia Nixon a lesbian?

Solice
18-05-09, 23:07
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/cynthia-nixon-announces-engagement-to-girlfriend-at-gay-rights-rally/22653?nc

She has gotten engaged. Which is cool that she found someone she can share her life with. But when I looked at her lover, I was taken aback.

Christine Marinoni, her lover, clearly looks like a man. Her facade is so convincing, I assume she must be taking testosterone. Which is fine, people should be able to express themselves any way they see fit for them.

But this leads to my question, is Cynthia a lesbian? Christine Marinoni has very male features. So is Cynthia attracted to the male form? And if she is, can she be said to be a lesbian?

I always assumed that lesbians are lesbians because they are attracted to the female form. Yes, I know, I am using logic to try to explain something that is emotional in nature. So there is a disconnect here for me.

So what explains this kind of relationship, a feminine woman and a masculine woman?

Angelus
18-05-09, 23:09
Oooooooold news...

Nenya awakens
18-05-09, 23:14
regardless of the fact that one of them might be masculine, she still has breasts and a foof so is therefore is a lesbian. I know lots of lesbians who are only attracted to masculine females because they find the thought of being dominated over appealing, and lots of masculine women who find feminine woman attractive for the opposite reasons.

(and saying that i know feminine lesbians who are dominant and vise vera)

You could look at it in the same way as a masculine gay man and a feminine gay man in a relationship, the guy isnt doing another dude because he secretly wants a women, he just finds something in that guy attractive. works out in a kind of submissive and dominant attitude.

although obviously thats not the case for all gay relationships.

if that makes any sense at all i dont know?? :)

Hermina94
18-05-09, 23:16
theres your answer

Encore
18-05-09, 23:17
Oh wow, such an interesting thread.

Angelus
18-05-09, 23:22
Oh wow, such an interesting thread.

You forgot your sarcasm tags!

Solice
18-05-09, 23:40
theres your answer

Not really. So does this mean a lesbian can be attracted to someone solely based on their genitals alone? I am attracted to someone from head to toe, so I don’t understand this way of thinking.

violentblossom
18-05-09, 23:44
Not really. So does this mean a lesbian can be attracted to someone solely based on their genitals alone? I am attracted to someone from head to toe, so I donít understand this way of thinking.

She's, i'm sure, attracted her personality as well.

Some people fall in love with other people simply because they like who they are.. sometimes gender is irrelevant.

Nenya awakens
18-05-09, 23:54

Some people fall in love with other people simply because they like who they are.. sometimes gender is irrelevant.

well said :hug:

some people fall in love with a person, regardless of gender.

Solice
19-05-09, 00:18

That is another possibility I considered. Perhaps she discusses her relationship somewhere on the Net. It would make for some interesting reading. If someone has a link please pass it on.

rowanlim
19-05-09, 02:38
I thought she'd come public before about her sexuality & said she's a lesbian. So I'm happy that she's engaged :)

Psychos'Я'Us
19-05-09, 04:42
She confirmed she's a lesbian in interviews :p And like others have said, I'm sure she's attracted to her partner from head to toe and probably her personality too. Gay people aren't attracted to the same sex based on their genitals alone.
Maybe she's a Lipstick Lesbian and she prefers Butch Lesbians?
Anyway...I really like Cynthia and I hope she's happy! =]

EgyptianSoul
19-05-09, 04:59
Maybe sometimes people should stop thinking about having a certain sexuality. Life can throw you in any direction. I know many people who had been educated to believe and who had grown up to believe they were this and that but later realized those restrictions are pointless. You fall in love with whoever you happen to fall in love with.

Good luck to Cynthia and her girlfriend.

Punaxe
19-05-09, 10:43
Slightly off-topic but related (tell me if it should be a new thread :p):

You know, I'm starting to think society is going towards a point where "homosexuality" and stuff doesn't mean much anymore, because gender doesn't matter anymore for having kids, and men can look as feminine as they want and vice versa. I am really seeing the boundaries between the sexes blur.
Would it make me homosexual if I liked a man that looks indistinguishable from a woman until we drop the shorts? In the strict sense I suppose it would, but I think we may need a new term for people who don't care about the genitals but only about a masculine/feminine look/behaviour.

x2crazyidiot
19-05-09, 10:53
I am completely for whatever someone wants to do if it makes them happy. Whatever person they're attracted to, then they are happy to it. I, myself, am bisexual. However, I do agree somewhat with Solice. Like straight people can't understand why a gay person can find someone from the same sex attractive in that way, I'm always confused when a gay person goes out with someone that might aswell be the opposite sex. I kind of think it 'defeats the point' of being gay. However, it's not all about looks, it's about personality aswell. So as I said before, people fall for who they fall for :)

Nannonxyay
19-05-09, 11:01
In the strict sense I suppose it would, but I think we may need a new term for people who don't care about the genitals but only about a masculine/feminine look/behaviour.

I guess Pansexual could describe someone who engages in different sexual activities with anyone regardless of their gender. I know I'm attracted to men and women. But I also find people who go outside the norm of gender, such as cross-dressers and gender queers attractive. :)

Nenya awakens
19-05-09, 11:45
Some people do fall in love with with a person because they love them for who they are, regardless of what they have in there knickers.

Some straight guys fall in love with transexual women becuause they love them for who they are. doesnt matter who they used to be.

some straight guys fall in love with with pre-op women who have brests and a penis.
imo that doesnt make them gay.

im not a fan of labels and although i am attracted to men i've allways said that if i ever fell for a girl then i wouldnt hold back just because i'm "gay". it's about the person.

i hate *****y gays who allways judge people for there looks, some of the gay networking sites on the net are just as shallow and *****y as gay clubs, which is why i hate the scene.

lita212
19-05-09, 15:35
personally i dont understand why people have to be labelled all the time. and to say that her girlfriend looks like a man so must be taking testosterone is pretty dumb if you ask me.
cynthia may be with a woman now but she was with a man for a very long time hence how she had a son with him. but they split and she found someone else she loves.
it doesnt matter what sex they are people can fall in love for all kinds of reasons.
my bf is 24 and all his life has been with girls and women. hes been with 34 and had 2 girlfriends. he never thought he would end up falling in love with me a transexual but he did. he said thats one of the reasons i stood out because i was a transexual who looked like a girl. if i was a normal girl he said id blend in with the rest but because i am transexual its what made him look twice and hey 10 months later were still together.
man or woman at the end of the day whats the big deal if someone loves someone then let them get on with it.

jackles
19-05-09, 16:16
Personally I couldn't care who the heck someone dates/marries/kisses as long as they are of legal age and willing.

ShadyCroft
19-05-09, 16:28
^^ :tmb: Why should it matter if she's a lesbian, engaged and all that stuff or not ?

But I guess some people are interested to know. :)

Marianna12
19-05-09, 16:31
^^^Well said Jackles and ShadyCroft ! ;)
I completely agree!

Solice
21-05-09, 03:53
She confirmed she's a lesbian in interviews :p And like others have said, I'm sure she's attracted to her partner from head to toe and probably her personality too. Gay people aren't attracted to the same sex based on their genitals alone.
Maybe she's a Lipstick Lesbian and she prefers Butch Lesbians?
Anyway...I really like Cynthia and I hope she's happy! =]

I hope my ignorance on the subject did not offend anyone. :)

I have seen butch lesbians, and I never understood the attraction. To me, they look boyish. Logically, I would assume that someone attracted to male features would be, well, attracted to men. But that is not necessarily true.

I do understand the attraction to women that look feminine, but behave like men. Some female athletes come to mind, and a certain female archeologist.:whi: