PDA

View Full Version : Dan Lin Interview - Terminator Salvation and Lara Croft

Trinity34
19-05-09, 01:13
Dan Lin Interview - Terminator Salvation and Lara Croft
with Rebecca Murray

Producer Dan Lin hit the black carpet at the US premiere of Warner Bros Pictures' 'Terminator Salvation' to talk about this latest addition to the 'Terminator' franchise. Lin also verified he's ready to work on a reboot of the 'Lara Croft' film.

See the video interview here (http://video.about.com/movies/Dan-Lin-Interview.htm)

From the transcript...

Transcript: Dan Lin Interview - Terminator Salvation and Lara Croft
Rebecca Murray from About.com Hollywood Movies at the US premiere of Terminator Salvation .

And you're also going to be involved in Lara Croft?

Dan Lin: "Yeah, we're rebooting Lara Croft as well. Really excited - it's a great origin story that we're going to tell. A very character-oriented I would say more realistic than the past Lara Croft movies."

Any casting on that yet?

Dan Lin: "Not yet."

But it is going to be a younger version so it can't be Angelina Jolie?

Dan Lin: "It is an origin story so it is a younger Lara Croft."

And it will be full-on action?

Dan Lin: "I would say it's like Terminator - character-driven action. I think for me the Lara Croft games and movies have gone a little too action-oriented. I wanted to have action, but with character."

Yay its still a go.... :) Did you notice Dan did not say it was not going to be Angelina? Hmm, I wonder if Megan Fox is going to get it after all.

Quasimodo
19-05-09, 01:30
Finally, some real news about a third film! Great find :tmb:

Trinity34
19-05-09, 01:31
I got lucky with this one.... was only posted an hour ago. :)

gtkilla
19-05-09, 02:00
OMG Yes! The movie's still greenlit! :jmp: He looked pretty excited when she mentioned Lara, so they must have something great planned. :D I like what he says about honoring the mythology of these franchises. Now I'm not scared about them turning Lara into an American or making her poor anymore. xD I wonder how they've decided to make her character more realistic, but not compromise anything major about her roots..?

I'm still sad about Angelina though...:( Megan is the only one who I think should take the role now.

Quasimodo
19-05-09, 02:28
I wonder which origin/roots story they're going to go with - the search for the scion, suriving the plane crash (when she was in her early twenties), or something totally different :confused:

AmericanAssassin
19-05-09, 02:37
Oh. My. God. I love the passion he uses in his words. I'm so excited. As long as Megan Fox is not involved, I'm happy. Rhona Mitra please. :whi:

fuzzycroft
19-05-09, 02:38
Oh. My. God. I love the passion he uses in his words. I'm so excited. As long as Megan Fox is not involved, I'm happy. Rhona Mitra please. :whi:

Too old for an origin story, sorry.
This is pretty cool news though :jmp:

AmericanAssassin
19-05-09, 02:40
Not really. She looks younger than she is. Have you seen Doomsday or Underworld 3? Very youthful. :)

gtkilla
19-05-09, 02:41
I wonder which origin/roots story they're going to go with - the search for the scion, suriving the plane crash (when she was in her early twenties), or something totally different :confused:

Probably something totally new being that it's a reboot. I just hope her family won't play a main role like they did with the old movies and CD's games.

AmericanAssassin
19-05-09, 02:42
I agree, gtkilla. I hate the family crap. I wish they would base a film off of the games. Loosely, at least. Natla on screen would be amazing. :mis:

Quasimodo
19-05-09, 02:45
Maybe they'll choose a relatively unknown British actress for the role...I think that'd be more suitable for a 'character driven' plot.

gtkilla
19-05-09, 02:46
A live-action Natla would be to die for. :cln: But, they mentioned having a new origin, love interest, as well as a new villain so unlikely. =/

fuzzycroft
19-05-09, 02:48
Not really. She looks younger than she is. Have you seen Doomsday or Underworld 3? Very youthful. :)

No, but I've seen production photos from it, and I've seen plenty of her in Boston Legal of a few years back. She doesn't look 'old', but not what I'd call youthful.. she couldn't pass for younger than late 20s.

Natla on screen would be amazing. :mis:

Yeah, that'd be great :D
Although probably not likely, given "... more realistic than the past Lara Croft movies."

Maybe they'll choose a relatively unknown British actress for the role...I think that'd be more suitable for a 'character driven' plot.

I think that would be the wise move :tmb:

gtkilla
19-05-09, 02:49

I don't think so. They'll still need to cast someone really attractive and popular like they did Angelina. She's what sold the first two movies and everyone knows that.

touchthesky
19-05-09, 10:16
Good to have some "official" news finally.

:)

I am very hopeful :).

Turtle
19-05-09, 10:27
I don't think so. They'll still need to cast someone really attractive and popular like they did Angelina. She's what sold the first two movies and everyone knows that.

Nope. They just need to cast someone who can make the role their own and be believable in it.

Really, Jolie did not make the Tomb Raider movies popular. Whilst she had been in a couple of popular films, and had even won an Oscar prior to the Tomb Raider movies, she wasn't the superstar she is today. Tomb Raider was just as good for her as she was for it.

A popular actress alone isn't enough to ensure success, the failure of Tomb Raider 2 to live up to the first one (in terms of Gross revenue) shows this.

Cows N' Roses
19-05-09, 11:28
Good to have some "official" news finally.

:)

I am very hopeful :).
Same here! This is exciting, I can't wait to know more :jmp:

Orionvalentine
19-05-09, 11:56
I'm so glad that lifeboat lips isn't doing Lara again! Bring on the new girl!

Mai
19-05-09, 11:58
Yay, yay, Yay! :D

I thought this had been forgotten about, and I'm happy this is an origin story! I wonder who will play Lara. I get a feeling this one will turn out to be much better than the first 2.

Ilie_Fusarau
19-05-09, 13:19
I'm so glad that lifeboat lips isn't doing Lara again! Bring on the new girl!
LOL WUT !? :confused: I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinions but Angie will be hard to replace .

adventurerLara
19-05-09, 13:23
LOL WUT !? :confused: I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinions but Angie will be hard to replace .

Agreed.

Finally, some news:jmp:

Ilie_Fusarau
19-05-09, 13:27
Agreed.

Finally, some news:jmp:
:hug:

Jin Uzuki
19-05-09, 15:06
I'd prefer if they cast an unknown British actress for the role as well. Thanks for this!

-Roli-
19-05-09, 15:15
Best news at the moment, its made my day, thank you very much! :jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp:

The hero..
19-05-09, 15:39
this is good news :)

Turtle
19-05-09, 16:09

I don't think so. Two movies (which hardly set the world alight) do not an icon make. Lara Croft is bigger than Angeline Jolie, someone who in my opinion was never right for the role in the first place. (American actors or actresses should never be cast in English roles, they never eh-ever get the accent right.)

I think Batman and James Bond are the best examples.

Michael Keaton was Batman in two movies. Now he's been replaced by Christian Bale, and people are pretty happy with that. Yeah, Michael Keaton still comes up now and then... but the movies are of a very high standard, and Bale is right for the role. People accept it.

James Bond, Sean Connery played the role in five movies and was tempted back twice after that. That's why he's linked so strongly with the role - to many people he was James Bond. Which is why he is brought up constantly, they're always comparing the latest Bond to Connery.

My point is, Jolie was only Lara in two movies. The two aren't inextricably linked in the minds of the public. If they cast the part well, Jolie will become Michael Keaton...

Wait, what?

Nenya awakens
19-05-09, 16:19
I'm a little bit concerned about this being more character driven origin story, I hope this doesnt go down the family route. the "lara searching for her family" drivel has been done to death.

i would either like a film based on the first few games (the last revelation would be a perfect movie storywise as it had the flashback to lara as a child) i used to think that a movie based on the first game would be brilliant, but at the moment i feel natla has had to much exposure.

Or i would like a brand new story perhaps not showing why lara started raiding tombs in the first place as that doesnt need to be shown.

I agree that the first two films where way to action orientated and there was no characer growth.. especially in TCOL... but then what more can you expect from Jan de Bont.

Pietras
19-05-09, 18:19
Great we're getting some actual news. *prays some actually TALENTED actress takes the role, not Megan Fox. Please let Angie return!!!*

tlr online
19-05-09, 18:26
Nice find. Thanks Trin, I've given you a nod here (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines3642.html).

Reggie
19-05-09, 18:40
I like the sound of this.
Ok, so a character driven TR game hasn't worked under Crystal (for a multitude of reasons) but I think the TR films are totally different. A good film needs good characterisation and by Dan Lin taking a serious look at the film not as just another action movie but something that could be more shows that he respects the franchise. It would have been so easy to just do something like the first two films again. I'm actually quite interested in what's going to happen now. :)

Pietras
19-05-09, 18:48
I like the sound of this.
Ok, so a character driven TR game hasn't worked under Crystal (for a multitude of reasons) but I think the TR films are totally different. A good film needs good characterisation and by Dan Lin taking a serious look at the film not as just another action movie but something that could be more shows that he respects the franchise. It would have been so easy to just do something like the first two films again. I'm actually quite interested in what's going to happen now. :)
Agree! It at least *sounds* promising so far. IMO the role of Lara will be the critical aspect of the movie. If it's a really more character-driven movie, then a good actress that will give a GOOD performance (not always equals even with the best actors) will be a must. Examples like Heath Ledger's Joker, Johnny Deep's Jack Sparrow, Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones and many more show how much a stellar performance by a lead actor may add to a "popcorn" movie. Of course the movies the characters I mentioned came from were all great but it's a much more complex thing.

Lara Fan 4Life
19-05-09, 18:52
Am very excited. A new TR game and now a new film conformed. Woop Woop! :jmp: I'm also very interested on who will get the role. I loved Angie's role as Lara, she is what made the TR films good, and to be honest, they weren't the best. I'm also very worried about what the film will gross when it is released. Lara isn't as popular these days, so I doubt it will be number one at the box office. Than again, maybe a huge marketing project for the film will be taken out to help it fair better. :D

Pietras
19-05-09, 18:58
Am very excited. A new TR game and now a new film conformed. Woop Woop! :jmp: I'm also very interested on who will get the role. I loved Angie's role as Lara, she is what made the TR films good, and to be honest, they weren't the best. I'm also very worried about what the film will gross when it is released. Lara isn't as popular these days, so I doubt it will be number one at the box office. Than again, maybe a huge marketing project for the film will be taken out to help it fair better. :D

If the film's really good like Batman Begins was or new Star Trek now, the word of mouth will do it all. Batman Begins came out after one of the most embarassing movies in history - Batman and Robin. Everyone were saying this franchise couldn't rebound after that. It did because it became great again.

hitnrun017
19-05-09, 19:29
This is great! The first two movies are campy fun, but I still have hope that an epic Tomb Raider movie can be made. It seems to be heading into the right direction with the "darker" story they mentioned months ago and the fact that it'll be more character driven. So, so, so excited. Can't wait till it starts moving forward.

jaywalker
19-05-09, 19:52
Ahh info out finally :)

James_Rutland
19-05-09, 20:04
I hope it's origin story is like this though, with the original Fiance and Parents in plane crash, from the original TR's 1-3 and comics.
http://tombraider.central-game.net/tombraider/comix/angol/tomb_raider_00_5/tomb_raider_onehalf_10.jpg
http://tombraider.central-game.net/tombraider/comix/angol/tomb_raider_00_5/tomb_raider_onehalf_11.jpg
http://tombraider.central-game.net/tombraider/comix/angol/tomb_raider_00_5/tomb_raider_onehalf_12.jpg

spyrostr
19-05-09, 20:16
Hey James Rutland where i could find these comics?

James_Rutland
19-05-09, 20:28
http://www.tombraider.hu/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=5&id=48&Itemid=80

Here, all are avalible to view. :wve:

larafan25
19-05-09, 20:38
I bet it will be like lara's transformation from young teen and then the events and things that make her a true tomb raider:)

soooo probably a bit like anniversary in terms of character development through the story and events that take place:)

sounds freaken amazing!!!:)

adventurerLara
19-05-09, 20:43
I think if Angelina isn't in it(:() the origin storyline would make it easier to accept because it would be a younger actrees and wouln't feel like she is being replaced.

Mai
19-05-09, 21:35
^ I'll happily accept her being replaced. She's had two movies. Let someone else take over :D

BigR4444
19-05-09, 21:35
This is good news.... i figured it would be a reboot with a younger Lara Croft, and this just confirms it....

Most likely it will involve Laras ORIGINAL backstory... hopefully theyll toss out the "My daddys an archaeologist" story, and go back to the REAL tale, where Lara grows up feeling like a fish out of water aristocrat, with bizarre interests and hobbies, rebels against her snooty parents, (plane crash) and eventually gets disowned by her mom and dad....

Its the right way to go, and will go a long way towards getting Lara some new fans, many that never knew her original roots and why fans on this forum love TR so much

Tony9595
19-05-09, 21:37
I wonder which origin/roots story they're going to go with - the search for the scion

:yik:!!

OMG that would be pretty awesome!

A movie based on TR1/TRA. With Natla, Larson, Pierre... :eek:!! am I mising someone?

Oh yes! Lara too :jmp:

Mai
19-05-09, 21:45
Most likely it will involve Laras ORIGINAL backstory... hopefully theyll toss out the "My daddys an archaeologist" story, and go back to the REAL tale, where Lara grows up feeling like a fish out of water aristocrat, with bizarre interests and hobbies, rebels against her snooty parents, (plane crash) and eventually gets disowned by her mom and dad....

Its the right way to go, and will go a long way towards getting Lara some new fans, many that never knew her original roots and why fans on this forum love TR so much

That would be perfect! <3

**LARA LOVER**
19-05-09, 22:34
Whoa great news! :D But I have to say, I am really let down to see Angie go, I thought she was the perfect Lara! :(

Changeling
19-05-09, 22:50
This is great news, I'm quite excited :D To be honest, I hope they pick a British actress with AMAZING talent that just hasn't had her big break yet. It's a shame when films only look for famous actors and actresses to promote them and lure more people in, despite how good they may be. :(

2kool4u
20-05-09, 01:52
Whoa thats awesome. I cant agree more on what he said. EIDOS should be reading what he put. TR has way too much action for its own good.

larafan25
20-05-09, 02:03
This is good news.... i figured it would be a reboot with a younger Lara Croft, and this just confirms it....

I think the original backstory would mprovide for more dramatic character development moments in the movie,but it would get VERY confusing to keep switching up the backstories:)

BigR4444
20-05-09, 02:55
I think the original backstory would mprovide for more dramatic character development moments in the movie,but it would get VERY confusing to keep switching up the backstories:)

Well not really... keep in mind that the people on this forum who are longtime TR fans aren't confused by the various backstories.... we know which one is the original true story....

The bulk of the movie audience would be people who maybe saw the first two movies, and dont know too much about the games... and really it would only be the first time for them that the backstory has changed....

If you compare Batman Begins to the first Batman movie, they changed a major part of the plot..... in the first movie Jack Napier kills his parents, and later becomes the joker.... but in Batman Begins, some random thug kills his parents, and the joker has nothing to do with it....
While im not sure which version is truer to the original comics, people seemed to accept it without any problems....

I see your point, but most people havent dealt with all the plot changes that us gamers have over the years.... all they know about TR is Angelina Jolie.... A new actress will be a bigger change for them than the backstory...
but if the movie is done right, and it shows how Lara became who she is, (ala Batman Begins) it will be a huge success, and hopefully will be recognized as the most successfull video game --> movie project.... Laras an interesting enough charachter to pull off that feat....

2kool4u
20-05-09, 03:10
I hope it's origin story is like this though, with the original Fiance and Parents in plane crash, from the original TR's 1-3 and comics.
http://tombraider.central-game.net/tombraider/comix/angol/tomb_raider_00_5/tomb_raider_onehalf_10.jpg
http://tombraider.central-game.net/tombraider/comix/angol/tomb_raider_00_5/tomb_raider_onehalf_11.jpg
http://tombraider.central-game.net/tombraider/comix/angol/tomb_raider_00_5/tomb_raider_onehalf_12.jpg

I hope shes not sexed out like that in the movie >_>

aurora89
20-05-09, 05:08

Geez. Me too. :P

Lara_Zoz2006
20-05-09, 07:14
Wooooo ok i have every faith in this guy coz that new terminator looks amazing :)
Lets hope we get a good young actress, not megan fox though !!!!

James_Rutland
20-05-09, 07:15

She was very young, about 16? That was before she became the Lara we know and love.

:.Dan King:.
20-05-09, 08:22

Pfff.
Forget the old stuff.
The old biography has been canceled and refreshed long time ago.

The old biography has never been demonstrated during the core episodes, so I can't understand the reason why you are enforcing people to get that story into this movie.

Another thing: this movie is also for casual people, not only for fans. Casual people can't get more contraddictions from the past 2 movies.

fishlikelong
20-05-09, 10:21
Another reboot? Hmmm, well I'm happy that there will be another TR movie at least.
I wonder who they will get to play Lara. It will be strange without Angie

Changeling
20-05-09, 10:39
Pfff.
Forget the old stuff.
The old biography has been canceled and refreshed long time ago.

The old biography has never been demonstrated during the core episodes, so I can't understand the reason why you are enforcing people to get that story into this movie.

Another thing: this movie is also for casual people, not only for fans. Casual people can't get more contraddictions from the past 2 movies.

Why should we forget the old stuff? What's wrong with it? Personally I think it has much more room for character development. And the previous two films were barely connected with each other, I'm sure that if it was explained to people that the new film was a re-boot they would be able to handle it.

mikael201
20-05-09, 11:01
not a younger lara croft pleeeaaase !!! :hea:
lara croft is a woman , not a teenager , tssss

daventry
20-05-09, 11:54
Whats with these Younger People Movies anyway. :confused:

It looks like they are going to use a New Lara Croft Biogrophy and muck up the Franchise Further.

All you need to know is this about Lara Croft and her Life.
http://www.geocities.com/laracroftonline2001/Biography.html

The Movies and the Crystal Games are too Warped and Confusing.

20-05-09, 13:13
Why should we forget the old stuff? What's wrong with it?

The old bio is dead, keep it in your mind.
Forget the old background forever.
The only thing that may be true are the two young Lara flashbacks (TR4-TR5).
The only thing you should hope to see again is her strong personality and nastiness (those faded away in Legend and totally disappeared in Anniversary and Underworld).

Lara's definitive bio is the new one, even because (as I told you before) Lara's old bio has never been shown during Core Design episodes. Have you ever seen her parents from TR1 to AoD? No. So stop falling into the fanatism and face the reality.
I like the old bio too, trust me, but that Lara's private life is not canonical anymore.

No grudge, my apologies for my way of talking.

Pietras
20-05-09, 14:55
The only thing you should hope to see again is her strong personality and nastiness (those faded away in Legend and totally disappeared in Anniversary and Underworld).

Lara's definitive bio is the new one, even because (as I told you before) Lara's old bio has never been shown during Core Design episodes. Have you ever seen her parents from TR1 to AoD? No. So stop falling into the fanatism and face the reality.
I like the old bio too, trust me, but that Lara's private life is not canonical anymore.

You seem to forget this a reboot of the movie franchise = they could just as well create a completly new, 3rd biography or use the first one. Until the movie comes out you can't be sure.

ccroft2003
20-05-09, 15:11
Interesting. So i think it's pretty safe to say that we will most probably see a movie version of the plane crash in the Himalayas and Lara's trek through the mountains to find refuge in the village? Could be great if done well? I like the idea of an origin story and with the strong story of Richard Croft in the first movie i don't think they will dwell too much on Lara's family. Will be great to actually see some proper Tomb Raiding and trap dodging rather than Lara falling through a hole and then having a gun battle with mercs after her. I wonder if they will do anything in Egypt??!!

Zebra
20-05-09, 15:32

1st: But that was because of the biography. You've never seen her parents because the biography says that they don't get along very well with eachother.
2nd: You did see them at one point. In the beginning of TRC they were standing at her grave.

Pietras
20-05-09, 15:33
Interesting. So i think it's pretty safe to say that we will most probably see a movie version of the plane crash in the Himalayas and Lara's trek through the mountains to find refuge in the village? Could be great if done well? I like the idea of an origin story and with the strong story of Richard Croft in the first movie i don't think they will dwell too much on Lara's family. Will be great to actually see some proper Tomb Raiding and trap dodging rather than Lara falling through a hole and then having a gun battle with mercs after her. I wonder if they will do anything in Egypt??!!
Not necessarily. It's said to be a reboot and while it's more than likely family-drama biography won't return, I personally think we might get a third (new) biography. Using the old one is not out of the question, would be really happy if it happened, but yeah... *prays*

Tonyrobinson
20-05-09, 15:39
Lara's origins, I just hope they have the infamous plane crash plot. Finally confirmation that yes it is being made ROLL ON the Tomb Raider reboot!

20-05-09, 16:01
You did see them at one point. In the beginning of TRC they were standing at her grave.

I know that those two people were supposed to be her parents, but I read somewhere that they were after confirmed as "Uncle and aunt of Lara".

You seem to forget this a reboot of the movie franchise = they could just as well create a completly new, 3rd biography or use the first one. Until the movie comes out you can't be sure.

I am predicting an indipendent story... Indipendent from movies and videogames... Who knows...

Question: I didn't get what has said Lin: he seems to be complaining for the last videogames and the last movies because of their action-orienting... but he also said that this movie will provide a lot of action (just like for "Terminator").
What about the adventure genre?

tranniversary119
20-05-09, 16:05
This is going to be good Dan Lin is a good choice :tmb:

2kool4u
20-05-09, 16:31
I was thinking.....this would be a great way to introduce Amanda's character as well.

tranniversary119
20-05-09, 16:36
I hated how there was literally no female characters besides Lara in the first two movies.

2kool4u
20-05-09, 16:38
Yeah i agree. :vlol: Here's hoping Amanda shows up :tmb:

jackoimina
20-05-09, 17:02
I'd like Megan Fox as new Lara, and they should definetely follow the story from the last three TR games (Anniversary, Legend and Underworld). Natla and Amanda should definitely appear in the movies. This time the movies should be longer and could you just imagine the doppelganger, in the first movie without skin with fantastic special effects, than Natla...just think about it! Wouldn't that be great?!

smr
20-05-09, 18:25
hopefully they are doing this as a prequel and have another one with Angelina to close the trilogy. right now i can't see another actress as Lara Croft. maybe Megan Foxx but only because she looks so much like Angie.

NightWish
20-05-09, 19:06
What is "character-driven action" supposed to mean? :pi:

Quasimodo
20-05-09, 19:13
What is "character-driven action" supposed to mean? :pi:

Batman Begins kinda stuff?

Dustie
20-05-09, 20:19
Wow, so it's pretty much an official confirmation the project is alive... Definately didn't expect that.

Big Lara Fan
20-05-09, 20:37
Angie nooooooooooo! :(

It's going to be hard to replace Angelina, imo she was the perfect Lara. Buuuuuut... I'm excited there's going to be another movie! This sounds promising too. I hope the plane crash is included! They say it's an origins movie, so I'm pretty sure it'll be the old bio they follow.

Bring it on! Can't wait! XD :jmp: :hug:

Tonyrobinson
20-05-09, 20:47
I'm major excited now that Dan himself has commented on it the way he looked when asked of casting kinda looked like he had a few ideas of who he'd like :D

Pietras
20-05-09, 20:54
I'd like Megan Fox as new Lara, and they should definetely follow the story from the last three TR games (Anniversary, Legend and Underworld). Natla and Amanda should definitely appear in the movies. This time the movies should be longer and could you just imagine the doppelganger, in the first movie without skin with fantastic special effects, than Natla...just think about it! Wouldn't that be great?!
No. LAU trilogy storyline is not really good. Plus Megan Fox can't act. That the sole reason she should never appear in this movie.

Tonyrobinson
20-05-09, 21:01
No. LAU trilogy storyline is not really good. Plus Megan Fox can't act. That the sole reason she should never appear in this movie.

Lol! You're dislike to her amuses me :)

I do agree to a certain degree that it might not work as a LAU adaption unless done properly without all the plot holes but I think the best game adaption if any should be solely on the first or on Angel of Darkness as I think they could easily transend into a great movie:)

NightWish
20-05-09, 21:06
Angie nooooooooooo! :(

It's going to be hard to replace Angelina, imo she was the perfect Lara. Buuuuuut... I'm excited there's going to be another movie! This sounds promising too. I hope the plane crash is included! They say it's an origins movie, so I'm pretty sure it'll be the old bio they follow.

Bring it on! Can't wait! XD :jmp: :hug:

I really hope they will go back to the original background core came up with. I dont wanna watch a movie about a 9-year-old surviving a plane crush! and I want to see how Lara's rebel character was formed! how despite everything. Despite being ABANDONED from her parents she decided to do what she does best, she decided to be a writer to finance her trips.... would make SUCH a wonderful movie

Pietras
20-05-09, 21:15
Lol! You're dislike to her amuses me :)
What has she done apart from looking good? Credible roles she has taken? As for now, it just looks she wants to be a star and nothing else. When she gets some actual recognition for her work (means actual acting, no popcorn movies) I will gladly welcome the possibility that she could take on the role of Lara. By the time we know she would play Lara, Angelina already had 3 Golden Globes and an Oscar. Megan Fox has... MTV Movie Awards nomination? Please...

I do agree to a certain degree that it might not work as a LAU adaption unless done properly without all the plot holes but I think the best game adaption if any should be solely on the first or on Angel of Darkness as I think they could easily transend into a great movie:)Don't agree with adaptating the first game. In all honesty, it's storyline is very basic. There's actually barely any storyline in it. Agree with AoD though I would say removing the "chased by the police" crap would be necessary.

Tonyrobinson
20-05-09, 21:15
Well whatever direction they go Dan seems to be fond of the Batman reboot so hopefully we'll get something good. But he has like 20 films in production so I don't think we'll see another movie for a while...

Pietras
20-05-09, 21:20
Well whatever direction they go Dan seems to be fond of the Batman reboot so hopefully we'll get something good. But he has like 20 films in production so I don't think we'll see another movie for a while...

Don't worry. The producers don't really have that much to do with the actual developement of the movie. I'm predicting Summer 2011 release.

Thorpe
20-05-09, 21:51
The Young Lara Croft Chronicles? :P

I take it this could turn educational. :tea:

...that's if you've seen Young Indy.

Joshorty
20-05-09, 23:42
Three WordS: I AM STOKED :D !!!

Trinity34
21-05-09, 00:08
I am kind of upset Angelina will not be in it also but I think if the story is done right then she will not have to be in it... and remember Dan Lin said no casting has been done yet so who knows?

Tombraiderx08
21-05-09, 01:32
I personally want a ff7 ac style animated movie if we cant have angelina jolie, that megan fox woman just, bleh. so excited :D

H4RR7H
21-05-09, 04:24
Bye Angie :(

21-05-09, 10:25
This <<We'll employ a young Lara>> is probably a manoeuver to avoid controversies about Angie's departure.

What makes me upset is the word "revamp".
Re-Writing Lara's past? Again? Aren't you weary of this exagerated creativity?

Mr K
21-05-09, 11:39
Not another @#($*& origin story!

It's been done to DEATH. How can he say it's exciting?! The first TR movie was an origin movie of sorts, the entirety of CD's TR has been a gigantic origin arc (a good one by the way), we don't NEED another 'retelling' of Lara's freakin origin.

C'mon, the entire planet KNOWS who Lara is, an origin story is NOT new and exciting, it's STA LE and now CLICHED. How many times do they want to rewrite her biography?!

Sorry, don't mean to be rude or rain on the parade and I know all this will probably change as the movie develops. I just had to get it off my chest on how another ORIGIN story is just REDUNDANT and actually quite STUPID.

Well, unless they turned the whole TRL TRA and TRU into a movie, which would be... rather boring for us gamers since it would be like watching a game that we'd played...

Quasimodo
21-05-09, 11:58
Good morning to you, too, Sunshine.

It's going to be interesting seeing what they come up with for a character with such an identity crisis.

]{eith
21-05-09, 12:02
It's interesting. I'm still a little apprehensive of origin stories. It could be done well (especially if they told the story of Lara in the Himilayas - the original - not the new one) but at the same time, we already have four different versions (movie, classic, next gen and comics) of how Lara became the mighty Tomb Raider in her bid to avoid getting a real job. :rolleyes:

aussie500
21-05-09, 12:49
They will stick closer to the current game timeline more likely and no they are not going to be having a 9 year old Lara, if they were going to have a 28 year old Lara they could just have Angelina as Lara. The question is what made Lara the tomb raider she is? Plane crash was just motivation, fluffy just motivated her to get some guns, she seemed almost there in TRA, and was finally willing to kill for what she wanted. Perhaps it is just before or after TRA? Werner perhaps and that iris although that seems to have been done enough. Seth and Egypt perhaps we have unfinished business there it seems the games are not going to cover, certainly that could be used as a life changing moment. Or maybe they are just going to explain about Natla and her connection with Lara, there is still an unsolved mystery there. Hopefully it will just be better than the first 2 movies.

ccroft2003
21-05-09, 13:38
I like more of the Classic storyline if that could be implemented.

Suffocating from the upper-class English up-bringing, Lara's plane crashes in the Himalayas on the way back to Switzerland from a school ski trip and finds her way to the Himalayan village as the only survivor. This is where she realises she is meant to follow in her fathers footsteps and put her excellent knowledge of history to use as an adventurer and Tomb Raider. She realises that she is only truly alive when she is alone. Lara takes up the adverturing to the diss-aprovement of her Aunt and Uncle who was given custody of Lara after her fathers dissapearence. Her Aunt and Uncle dis-own her and Lara is left to travel the globe in search of ancient relics using photo journalism as a cover. The story could even go on to her discovering the Yeti?

Pietras
21-05-09, 14:25
They will stick closer to the current game timeline more likely
Current timeline is also the first two movies timeline. The film's a reboot, not a prequel.

and no they are not going to be having a 9 year old Lara, if they were going to have a 28 year old Lara they could just have Angelina as Lara.
Plane crash happened when Lara was only 21.

The question is what made Lara the tomb raider she is? Plane crash was just motivation, fluffy just motivated her to get some guns, she seemed almost there in TRA, and was finally willing to kill for what she wanted. Perhaps it is just before or after TRA? Werner perhaps and that iris although that seems to have been done enough. Seth and Egypt perhaps we have unfinished business there it seems the games are not going to cover, certainly that could be used as a life changing moment. Or maybe they are just going to explain about Natla and her connection with Lara, there is still an unsolved mystery there. Hopefully it will just be better than the first 2 movies.Or they could come up with something completly new, unrelated to both of the biographies. The movie doesn't have to have anything to with the games. Or it could feature the original bio. Using the current one is the least likely.

tranniversary119
21-05-09, 14:25
I like more of the Classic storyline if that could be implemented.

Suffocating from the upper-class English up-bringing, Lara's plane crashes in the Himalayas on the way back to Switzerland from a school ski trip and finds her way to the Himalayan village as the only survivor. This is where she realises she is meant to follow in her fathers footsteps and put her excellent knowledge of history to use as an adventurer and Tomb Raider. She realises that she is only truly alive when she is alone. Lara takes up the adverturing to the diss-aprovement of her Aunt and Uncle who was given custody of Lara after her fathers dissapearence. Her Aunt and Uncle dis-own her and Lara is left to travel the globe in search of ancient relics using photo journalism as a cover. The story could even go on to her discovering the Yeti?

I like that BIO, but I think there going for a completely new BIO for this movie.

DigtalMortcian
21-05-09, 14:26
I don't know if I should be ecstatic or aprehensive... On the one hand we have Dan Lin as producer, which means (I assume) they're finally starting to take the movies seriously. But on the other hand.... "We're rebooting Lara Croft as well.", says Dan Lin when quizzed on future movie sequels. "Really excited - it's a great origin story that we're going to tell. Very character-oriented..."

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't make a bugger-up of this movie by either:
1) Casting a sexed-up play-kitten as Lara
2) buggering up her background story ONCE AGAIN... (ala TR movie 1 with the daddy business that lead to the entire game being changed because of that)
3) making Lara whimpy and too emotional for killing someone (ala Anniversary)

I think if they keep with the Himalaya plane crash scenario, show how she got into tomb raiding, maybe even show real tombs and traps (SHOCK HORROR! :rolleyes:) and cast a brilliant actress that actually looks athletic (think Linda Hamilton) and not like a super starved supermodel that can actually capture that badass hard-as-nails personality, then we're good to go son! ;)

aussie500
21-05-09, 14:55
Current timeline is also the first two movies timeline. The film's a reboot, not a prequel.

Plane crash happened when Lara was only 21.

Or they could come up with something completly new, unrelated to both of the biographies. The movie doesn't have to have anything to with the games. Or it could feature the original bio. Using the current one is the least likely.

Ian Livingstone told us in an interview ages ago Eidos wanted the movies and games to tie in with each other, they are not going to have conflicting timelines. And in the new bio Lara was only 9 when the plane crash occurred, never went to any fancy schools after her mum vanished and certainly had better things to do with her time than go on ski trips or go to fancy finishing schools. It might fit between the games it might rewrite something from the games to make it more interesting, but its not going to have Lara starting her adventures in her mid twenties having spent most of her life doing nothing but lounging around fancy schools spending daddy's money.

tonyme
21-05-09, 14:59
So it's 100% NOT Angie? :(

Pietras
21-05-09, 15:11
Ian Livingstone told us in an interview ages ago Eidos wanted the movies and games to tie in with each other, they are not going to have conflicting timelines.
Same things were being said when the first movie was suppoued to come out (remember the famous "look for the game cheats in the movie"? Or how was Eidos suppoused to watch the movies don't conflict with the games?) and we ended up with two timelines. And BTW, it seems that Eidos is thinking about some sort of a reboot too: http://www.gamecyte.com/eidos-considering-tomb-raider-reboot-may-make-lara-more-female-friendly. Of course the female-friendly part is some nonesense, but there surely is something up in the air. So yeah, you can be 10000% sure mommy storyline is returning.

And in the new bio Lara was only 9 when the plane crash occurred, never went to any fancy schools after her mum vanished and certainly had better things to do with her time than go on ski trips or go to fancy finishing schools. It might fit between the games it might rewrite something from the games to make it more interesting, but its not going to have Lara starting her adventures in her mid twenties having spent most of her life doing nothing but lounging around fancy schools spending daddy's money.No, it won't. It will most likely have also nothing to do with her parents as it has in the current timeline. IMO we'll be getting a third (new new) timeline/biography. One that's focused on Lara's character and her personal "road" to becoming a tomb raider. Hopefully less cliche and don-to-death than the TRM1&2/LAU trilogy version and more realistic than the "after the plane crash, I decided to stop spending daddy's money and gonna crawl in the mud now" TR1-6 version.

Tonyrobinson
21-05-09, 16:09
I wonder if they have a writer yet and if so who will it be???

ZIP!2009
21-05-09, 16:18
Anyway.

Well if it is a "origion" story...then they cant really dictate from what crystal has written in for the past trilogy (legend ,anniversary and underworld)
However, we must remember that laras first adventure wasnt with the scion, didnt she have adventures before that...:)
But if natla was in it....ehh...Meryl Streep anyone??......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meryl_streep
(Unless, Tomb raider 9 The game....changes laras story again...i heard its another reeboot)

Maybe its to do with her very first adventure while she was young, a la Tomb Raider the last revelation in cambodia with von croy?

Mai
21-05-09, 16:50
^That would be good. Then Seth can be in the sequels. :D

And Meryl really looks like Natla.

2kool4u
21-05-09, 17:37
o0o Yes she does but i was thinking of that woman from Death Race i cant remember her name.

laracroftswest
21-05-09, 19:34
Thank god Angie is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzan
21-05-09, 20:47
Oh god... I'm excited. I thought there would never be a third movie. And in a way it would've been ok as I'm not too fond of the previous movies :p... BUT it's about Lara so in some way I am interested, after all she is my obsession. But I'm afraid this will turn out even worse than the previous ones. I mean, argh, I dunno. I'm just afraid of more mommy-daddy crap... I'm so SICK of it. Sick and tired. I dunno what to think but oh well, bring it on, I'll judge after I've seen it :p

Dustie
22-05-09, 16:02

Gosh I feel for you, for that dislike towards Fox of yours. It's like being back in the 1993 among your streight peers and having a dislike towards Pamela Anderson.

tranniversary119
22-05-09, 17:28
Megan Fox would never work...
1) She doesn't want people to think she's copying Angelina.
2) She REALLY cannot act...and IMO is only good for popcorn flicks.
3) Looks aren't everything..and she certainly doesn't look like Lara.
I can't say I wouldn't see it if she was casted as Lara because it's Tomb Raider but I'd only go there to laugh...Get somebody legit, they don't have to be 'serious' actors. And from this interview there looking for a younger Lara. So she'd have to be in her early 20's.

aussie500
22-05-09, 17:43
Megan Fox would never work...
1) She doesn't want people to think she's copying Angelina.
2) She REALLY cannot act...and IMO is only good for popcorn flicks.
3) Looks aren't everything..and she certainly doesn't look like Lara.
I can't say I wouldn't see it if she was casted as Lara because it's Tomb Raider but I'd only go there to laugh...Get somebody legit, they don't have to be 'serious' actors. And from this interview there looking for a younger Lara. So she'd have to be in her early 20's.

Megan Fox looks good enough to be Lara to me, and just because no one has asked her to be Lara yet does not mean they will not. She is an actress they offer her the part bet you she will take it, and Megan Fox is in her early twenties.

]{eith
22-05-09, 22:30
Didn't Megan Fox say she was asked but turned it down because she was sick of the comparisons between her and Angelina Jolie and didn't want to add another notch to it herself? Or was that just tabloid trash?

larafan25
22-05-09, 23:36
^I thought it was that Rhona Mitra was offered but didn't want to because of stuff after her beiong a lara model or something....most likey tabloid trash anyways:)

aussie500
23-05-09, 01:20
{eith;3668715']Didn't Megan Fox say she was asked but turned it down because she was sick of the comparisons between her and Angelina Jolie and didn't want to add another notch to it herself? Or was that just tabloid trash?

As far as l know Megan Fox never said anything on the subject, one journalist suggest she would make a good Lara Croft and everyone jumps on the band wagon to say she is playing Lara. Her spokesperson say she is not involved with the movie, and they come up with equally false info about why she is not. They cannot ask anyone to be Lara without showing them the script so they can judge if they want the part or not, they do not even have a script written yet, they are a fair way off asking anyone to be Lara.

Pietras
23-05-09, 01:31
Gosh I feel for you, for that dislike towards Fox of yours. It's like being back in the 1993 among your streight peers and having a dislike towards Pamela Anderson.
I feel for your lack of taste. When you prove me she can ACT, I will gladly eat my words. Until that, keep going.

23-05-09, 12:20
Anyway.

(Unless, Tomb raider 9 The game....changes laras story again...i heard its another reeboot)

These rumors are bull****s. Eidos Interactive can't do something like that, because an incongruence would make them risk the bankrupt again.

Maybe its to do with her very first adventure while she was young, a la Tomb Raider the last revelation in cambodia with von croy?

Same thing I thought! :D

Tonyrobinson
23-05-09, 21:37
I would love a TLR movie and judging by both the looks of Terminator and Sherlock holmes Dan Lin will be able to blend both Action and adventure together :D

MattTR
26-05-09, 22:08
Holy crap! :eek: I totally missed this somehow, so a movie #3 will be born?

How unexpected.. :p

Looking forward to it, though. :tmb:

silver_wolf
27-05-09, 01:31
This sounds promising. Maybe we'll get a TR1 adaptation! :D

croft_baby
27-05-09, 05:55
i honestly hope that they do the new "TR REBOOT" like the games, it would almost be like watching the game being played for you lol, but then it came to my thinking would this be a live action film or animation, im still trying to figure out what would look better on the silver screen (or plasma screen, whatever tickles your fancy lol)

ps.....
please no megan fox she has fun in other films,her personality just wouldnt fit into this and i think she might have a hard time trying to act like lara croft when you need to go out there into the public and find lara croft (because i actually want to believe and feel its lara on the screen then just some girl from another movie), dont bum this up for us TR fans

*laralover*
27-05-09, 18:34
I missed this too....:vlol: Sounds very good i just cant think who would play her :p

tranniversary119
27-05-09, 19:43
I missed this too....:vlol: Sounds very good i just cant think who would play her :p

Just like when people said, "Who could be better than Jack Nicholson as the joker?" And then..yeah Heath Ledger became the joker and was even better than Jack.

_Awestruck_
16-06-09, 06:16
I smell a TR1/A adaptation...

I feel like sqee'ing but I'd wake my mom up.

Shark_Blade
16-06-09, 12:26
I smell a TR1/A adaptation...

I feel like sqee'ing but I'd wake my mom up.
Don't count on it too much. Hollywood rarely stays faithful to the original materials.

Orionvalentine
16-06-09, 12:29
I wish Rhona would shut up and take the role :ton: