PDA

View Full Version : Can't run TR1

CPB178
21-05-09, 17:18
Hello guys, i've been having a few problems with running tr1 on my vista laptop, i've installed it with thr TR1 advanced installer, but whenever i click the icon to run the game i get an error saying 'this system does not support fullscreen mode' (and i've tried to turn off fullscreen mode but i dont know how:o):confused: anyone know what's causing my problem?:o

Rado_Legend
21-05-09, 17:46
Hello guys, i've been having a few problems with running tr1 on my vista laptop, i've installed it with thr TR1 advanced installer, but whenever i click the icon to run the game i get an error saying 'this system does not support fullscreen mode' (and i've tried to turn off fullscreen mode but i dont know how:o):confused: anyone know what's causing my problem?:o

I have the same problem :( . Please Help :(

gidierre
21-05-09, 18:01
anyone know what's causing my problem?

yes, currently TRAI is Vista-incompatible

Look up advanced solution(s) using dgVoodoo or Dosbox
especially regarding Vista
at tombraiderhub.com
among the TR1 faq.

CPB178
21-05-09, 19:11
yes, currently TRAI is Vista-incompatible

Look up advanced solution(s) using dgVoodoo or Dosbox
especially regarding Vista
at tombraiderhub.com
among the TR1 faq.

Thanks alot! It works great!:jmp:. Just one question :D is there any way i can make opening a game quicker? Because it takes me ages to mount all the drives needed to run the game:o

gidierre
21-05-09, 19:50
Because it takes me ages to mount all the drives needed to run the game:o
talking about dgvoodoo or dosbox?

dgvoodoo should really be the faster one, the least resource hog

dosbox might be slow indeed depending on the hardware it relies upon to emulate a whole dos environment
if you're using those batch files, well the install one of course is a run-once then forget it thing
the run bat, does it give you any warnings or is it just lagging?
Also, what letter does your "normal" cdrom drive have?

Because, you know, after it's installed right, there is a way I can easily show you to skip the search and streamline the process a lot afterwards, so it amounts to a real optimization and time sparing ;)

CPB178
21-05-09, 20:09
talking about dgvoodoo or dosbox?

dgvoodoo should really be the faster one, the least resource hog

dosbox might be slow indeed depending on the hardware it relies upon to emulate a whole dos environment
if you're using those batch files, well the install one of course is a run-once then forget it thing
the run bat, does it give you any warnings or is it just lagging?
Also, what letter does your "normal" cdrom drive have?

Because, you know, after it's installed right, there is a way I can easily show you to skip the search and streamline the process a lot afterwards, so it amounts to a real optimization and time sparing ;)

I just found a program on TRC, that installs TR1 and TRUB for me, including dosbox too:D

oh and yeah, i was talking about dosbox before;), and my normal cd rom drive is

thanks a million for the info though:D

gidierre
21-05-09, 20:17
my normal cd rom drive is

is... ?

CPB178
22-05-09, 15:28
is... ?

:D omg i cant believe i didnt type that:ton: sorry, my normal CD rom drive is F:)

gidierre
22-05-09, 17:25
my normal CD rom drive is F
ok
so once you've installed it (via my Install Dosbox tr1.bat)
here's my advice to speed up the run sequence:

locate Run Dosbox TR1.bat
which ought to be in c:\tombraid
right click on it -> edit
select all
delete all of its lines
paste exactly what follows into it so its whole contents will read:

C:
CD "C:\PROGRAM FILES\DOSBOX-0.72"
REM set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\DOSBOX-0.72\dosbox.exe" -conf dosboxf.conf
exit

save changes

NB
make sure the file remains a .bat file
it does't have to become one Run Dosbox TR1.bat.txt or it won't work as a batch anymore
also, the TR1 cdrom must always be in the drive for it to work

next time you launch the run bat to play, tell me if you notice some enhancements ;)

P.S. 1
let me know if you need a similar tweak for the sake of running TR UB too

P.S. 2
if you haven't installed anything yet, tell me and I'll provide the necessary adjustments for the install bat to begin with as well

P.S. 3
since Vista is... Vista, there's the line above I wrote about SDL_VIDEODRIVER that could make a nifty optimization that's Vista-specific
should you be satisfied with the game's visual quality, that's ok
otherwise again, post some comments on it and I can explain how that setting can be set, which often really improves the Vista performance.