PDA

View Full Version : Notice on policy change regarding use of Edit by Moderation.

tlr online
21-05-09, 17:41
Greetings.

Under instruction from me, posts which violate our Terms have previously been removed (soft deleted). However. Our software now supports edit history, which can be viewed by our Moderation team.

Accordingly, our Moderation team will resume editing posts which violate our Terms and Conditions and also include the reasons for the action taken.

One post wonders and site owners spamming our forum with advertisements will continue to have their posts removed and their domain blocked.

Our full Terms and Conditions - which are in place for your protection and to maintain a level of harmony on our forum - can be viewed under FAQ.

As usual, constructive opinion and criticism is very welcome.

tlr.

Reggie
21-05-09, 17:43
Hey Justin, Could you explain a little about what this new edit history feature for forum staff means for us?

Larson_1988
Please don't be offended Justin! But finally! :tmb: I honestly didn't understand the whole mods not being allowed to edit posts thing.

Mr.Burns
Sounds good to me. It can be quite a shame when a post has to be deleted because only part of it violated the T&C.

@Reggie: It means that a log is made of each edit made on each post, that can be viewed by the moderation staff. It's a legal thing in case of a dispute arises.

trXD
21-05-09, 17:46
Ah i see...

Alex Fly
21-05-09, 17:48
I think it's a good thing. :tmb:

Reggie
21-05-09, 17:49
Sounds good to me. It can be quite a shame when a post has to be deleted because only part of it violated the T&C.

@Reggie: It means that a log is made of each edit made on each post, that can be viewed by the moderation staff. It's a legal thing in case of a dispute arises.

Thanks for explaining, Mark. :)
Going by what you've said there, has the custom of deletion when violating T&Cs changed as well?

tlr online
21-05-09, 17:50
Hey Justin, Could you explain a little about what this new edit history feature for forum staff means for us?

Hi Reggie

All posts which are modified (edited) by either the author or a moderator will now record change history. This means actions (by both the author and Moderation) can be reviewed at any time, and ensures accountability for actions taken here. By and large, the feature will also ensure transparancy on our part by allowing us to clear document why changes were made, for the benefit of the author.

Mr.Burns
21-05-09, 17:51
Thanks for explaining, Mark. :)
Going by what you've said there, has the custom of deletion when violating T&Cs changed as well?

Not sure, I'd wait for Justin to answer that one. I would assume so, but I would also assume that it depends on the content of the post.

TombRaiderLover
21-05-09, 17:52
So you'll now be able to review the original versions of edited posts?

No . . . I won't let you see my typos! *hides*

TRhalloween
21-05-09, 17:52
Oh that's good.
I wondered why it wasn't done recently.

Larapink
21-05-09, 17:55
No . . . I won't let you see my typos! *hides*
I sometimes edit my posts a lot, I better be more careful to check my spelling before pressing 'submit reply'. :(

TRfan23
21-05-09, 17:56
This is good I suppose... But why can't we have the option to delete our own posts?

I sometimes edit my posts a lot, I better be more careful to check my spelling before pressing 'submit reply'. :(

Same :( I can be very OCD like, to the way I represent my posts, so I'm always going back and re-editing them, for perfection.

rowanlim
21-05-09, 17:56
Thank you Justin. I think this is a better move to, as you say, promote transparency & can set an example to others about what NOT to do :) :tmb:

Angelus
21-05-09, 17:57
Is there a reason why we can't delete our own posts? I think it'd help the mods quite a bit.

Reggie
21-05-09, 18:02
Hi Reggie

All posts which are modified (edited) by either the author or a moderator will now record change history. This means actions (by both the author and Moderation) can be reviewed at any time, and ensures accountability for actions taken here. By and large, the feature will also ensure transparancy on our part by allowing us to clear document why changes were made, for the benefit of the author.
Sounds like a positive change to me then. Though I must warn you, I edit a heck of a lot. :p
Another question if I may: Is it now more important to give reasons for an edit? I ask this because if edits are being looked at for purposes of transparency and accountability then explaining why we've made a change in what we've posted up seems like something more important now.

Larapink
21-05-09, 18:04
Same :( I can be very OCD like, to the way I represent my posts, so I'm always going back and re-editing them, for perfection.
You sound like me as well! :(

I hope that spelling edits and grammer edits doesn't count against us. :(

toxicraider
21-05-09, 18:05
Oh that's good :tmb:

irjudd
21-05-09, 18:05
Very nice to see some additional guidelines being set. Hopefully this will help a few members to chill the heck out. :tmb:

daventry
21-05-09, 18:06
Now we arent allowed to Edit our Posts 5 Times or 10 Times we want if theres a Reason for it. :confused::confused:

It would be a Good Idea for a Delete Post Option. ;)

TRfan23
21-05-09, 18:06

Well I once edited a post long ago, about 12-15 times, it was agessss ago though.

Now we arent allowed to Edit our Posts. :confused::confused:

Yes we can, but this time it's recorded and mods can check them, as you can...

Larson_1988
21-05-09, 18:07
Yes we can, but this time it's recorded and mods can check them, as you can...

It's always been recorded... At least i could see my own post history. :)

tampi
21-05-09, 18:08
I have not time now.
I don't know what this means, but I'm a great E.D.I.T.E.R. of my posts :confused::o

tlr online
21-05-09, 18:09

You are free to edit your posts as often as you want. :)

Mr.Burns
21-05-09, 18:10
Sounds like a positive change to me then. Though I must warn you, I edit a heck of a lot. :p
Another question if I may: Is it now more important to give reasons for an edit? I ask this because if edits are being looked at for purposes of transparency and accountability then explaining why we've made a change in what we've posted up seems like something more important now.

Before the software update was released, there was no way to know for certain what was actually edited if a moderator had to make a change and from a legal standpoint, that posed a problem for the forum. Having this new update should allow the moderators to edit without deletion when necessary and the staff can still see the original post. So, I'd say we're okay to just keep going as usual. That's just my guess.

Now we arent allowed to Edit our Posts. :confused::confused:

It would be a Good Idea for a Delete Post Option. ;)

I can't see any reason why we wouldn't be allowed to.

Larapink
21-05-09, 18:12
Well I once edited a post long ago, about 12-15 times, it was agessss ago though.
Exactly the same as me. :hug:

Thank you so much, Justin. Much appreciated to know that. :hug: :)

tlr online
21-05-09, 18:14
Is it now more important to give reasons for an edit?

Only when Moderation edits a post. This enables the author to see why his/her post has been edited. The author is not obligued to include a reason each time he/she edits his/her own post.

Reggie
21-05-09, 18:14
Ah I see. Thanks again for explaining Justin and Mark. :tmb:

TRfan23
21-05-09, 18:16

Only when Moderation edits a post. This enables the author to see why his/her post has been edited. The author is not obligued to include a reason each time he/she edits his/her own post.

Thank you, now I understand :) :hug:

TRhalloween
21-05-09, 18:17
I know it sounds stupid, but do you know everyone's first post, Justin?

Mytly
21-05-09, 18:18
Folks, the change in policy affects only moderators, really, not members. Just keep editing your posts as many times you want to - as long as your final version doesn't violate the T&C, nobody cares how many times you edited it or why, or whether or not you posted a reason for it. And no, we won't go around checking how many typos you made before you edited - any more than we go around looking through your dustbins. ;)

TRfan23
21-05-09, 18:19
I know it sounds stupid, but do you know everyone's first post, Justin?

That's another thing, when I go back to check my previous posts. It only records the last 500, I really want to know my very first post on this forums :D

TRhalloween
21-05-09, 18:20
That's another thing, when I go back to check my previous posts. It only records the last 500, I really want to know my very first post on this forums :D

So do I :)
Probably a n00bie one.

Sir Croft
21-05-09, 18:26
I think it's fine. To be honest, I've always wondered why mods weren't allowed to edit posts when needed.

Mytly
21-05-09, 19:04
Click on search, then Advanced Search. Put in your name in the User name field, in "sort results by" change it to "ascending order", and change "show results by" to "posts". Click "search now", and you'll get you first 500 posts. :D

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds, just try it. ;)

Biddy
21-05-09, 19:09
Sounds good, but be prepared for my horrible typos! :p

violentblossom
21-05-09, 19:23
Crap. Now, when i go on a horrid rant in a post and then quickly delete it, all the mods will know and everyone can see how evil i really am. :( *sigh*

On second thought, this could hilariously fun... i'm going to leave the mods little notes, then edit them out. :vlol:

TRfan23
21-05-09, 19:44
Click on search, then Advanced Search. Put in your name in the User name field, in "sort results by" change it to "ascending order", and change "show results by" to "posts". Click "search now", and you'll get you first 500 posts. :D

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds, just try it. ;)

Ah done :) Thanks for telling me that :hug:

Here was my first ever post (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=2589666&postcount=1) :)... and I never edited it :( Till Now :D

and here's possibly tlr online's first post (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=30194&postcount=2) lol look at the way posts were edited back then.

[This message has been edited by tlr online (edited 06 June 2000).]

ShadyCroft
21-05-09, 19:53
Sounds good. Thank you, Justin ! :tmb:

Joely-Moley
21-05-09, 19:56
That sounds pretty cool. Although now you are going to see all the mistakes I make in posts, or the things I change because I don't like how it's worded.

Whoa, I just checked...This (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3329716&postcount=318) was one of my first posts. :o

Tony9595
21-05-09, 21:29
I love the idea! This forum gets better everyday :D

Verdilet
21-05-09, 21:39
I thought mods had always been able to edit people's posts. :confused: Anyway, this is certainly a welcome addition. :tmb: I always found it annoying when a post was deleted rather than just edited.

spikejones
21-05-09, 21:45
Folks, the change in policy affects only moderators, really, not members. Just keep editing your posts as many times you want to - as long as your final version doesn't violate the T&C, nobody cares how many times you edited it or why, or whether or not you posted a reason for it. And no, we won't go around checking how many typos you made before you edited - any more than we go around looking through your dustbins. ;)
well, in a way it does affect us users considering we are the ones whose posts will now be subject to being edited by a third party. I personally have not issues with it so long as content is only deleted and nothing is added (I hate people putting words into my mouth). However, quite ironic that this "new feature" has gone live not just a few days past my own description of it in another thread someone made about "how do you delete your own posts". :pi:

ie:

nope.. can't delete posts - they need to remain intact for quality control purposes. wouldn't want the trolls to be running amok and then deleting the inflamatory posts before the virtua cops come along to throw them in the junior members detention facility. you can edit them though, but I'm sure that the super mods and admin can track the revisions to see what you edited it from (again, quality control purposes). Thread titles as well can only be changed by Admins and Super Mods as far as I know.

I thought mods had always been able to edit people's posts. :confused: Anyway, this is certainly a welcome addition. :tmb: I always found it annoying when a post was deleted rather than just edited.

the feature was always there, and it has happened previously - around the time I first joined the forum. however, for some "legal reason" the practice was discontinued.

God Horus
21-05-09, 22:02
Well that will probably be a helpful feature for the mod :)

Also how come if I edit my post, sometimes, it doesn't say that it was edited at all.

Ward Dragon
21-05-09, 22:04
Well that will probably be a helpful feature for the mod :)

Also how come if I edit my post, sometimes, it doesn't say that it was edited at all.

I think if you edit it within a minute of posting it then the "edited" message doesn't appear.

Mytly
21-05-09, 22:12
well, in a way it does affect us users considering we are the ones whose posts will now be subject to being edited by a third party. I personally have not issues with it so long as content is only deleted and nothing is added (I hate people putting words into my mouth).
Yikes! We don't add anything to other people's posts! Just removing problematic stuff, or occasionally modifying things like converting an image to a link.

It was a regular thing earlier. But then the software did not allow edit history to be seen, so it was difficult to know what the post had been like before being edited.

TRfan23
21-05-09, 23:22
Request Deletion.

tampi
21-05-09, 23:36
I think if you edit it within a minute of posting it then the "edited" message doesn't appear.

Yes, if you edit if the post before the end of the minute in which it was written, there arte not constancy.

It was a regular thing earlier. But then the software did not allow edit history to be seen, so it was difficult to know what the post had been like before being edited.

Now, I see the point on all this. Better, wellcome :)

DaNoNeMoKiId
22-05-09, 00:11
Weee.... Now all we need is an option to delete our own posts :D

A bit off topic here, but why do i keep seeing "joely-moley and angelfaithrox are so awesome" in a lot of people's signatures?

MattTR
22-05-09, 00:45
I don't get it.. :p I wasn't here earlier today, someone fill me in.. ahh!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qdZhdcNZhVU/SDWUwxsQy7I/AAAAAAAAAfk/qMYLc-pU8ak/s320/Sad+smiley+crying.gif

AmericanAssassin
22-05-09, 01:06
Is there a reason why we can't delete our own posts? I think it'd help the mods quite a bit.

I've always wanted such a feature...