PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Salvation

James_Rutland
22-05-09, 16:06
:jmp: Has anyone seen it? I plan on seing it.
Is it true about Sarah Connor's voice over role?

michaeldt
22-05-09, 16:16
it's not out yet. is it ? :confused:

Dustie
22-05-09, 16:19
It's been out since yesterday in the US...

You mean Linda Hamilton's voice in the movie?

James_Rutland
22-05-09, 16:27
Yeah, Is is present?
I thought it was just a rumour, i hope it's true. :yik:

Dustie
22-05-09, 16:35
Wiki says it's true, confirmed.

But I don't get why it had a 200 million budget? Unless they didn't spend all the money, it doesn't look like it needed that much. Transformers costed 151 million and it seems a much heavier movie. Unless inflation is kicking in hard?

Carbonek_0051
22-05-09, 18:28
:jmp: Has anyone seen it? I plan on seing it.
Is it true about Sarah Connor's voice over role?

I saw it last night, it was amazing.

The acting was brilliant, the production value was amazing and the story was good and didn't contradict the other films. The new character Marcus Wright (guy in my avatar) was developed really well and I liked him more than John Conner himself.

And yes Linda Hamilton did her own voice in the movie, she was in tapes left for John.:)

James_Rutland
23-05-09, 11:44
I would of loved to see a dream sequence for John.

The sun rises from the destroyed atmosphere.
John's eyes came out of focus, as everything became blurry as the sun rose.
He came back to focus, and noticed he was standing in the middle of a beautiful, full of life park.

He saw families, children playing on swings, he ran towards the park, but was stopped as he ran into a very high fence.
A woman turned and stared, and she walked towards him from the other side of the fence.

As she drew closer, he recognised the womans face as his mothers.
Sarah Connor.

She'd aged, but she was still instantly recognizable.
She had tears in her eyes, she opened her mouth but no words came out, though John made out the words, 'John, you have to run now!'
'Mum?' he cried out.

She attempted to speak again. 'Please John, run now!'
He shaked the fence, as if trying to break it loose.
But nothing happened.
He and his mother was seperated, and he couldn't do anything.

He reached for her hand through the fence, and she held it firmly.
A tear ran down her cheek, and she let go.
'Go.'
He shook his head.
'Now!'

Suddenly, a bright light flashed from behind him, revealing a huge blast.
And it was coming their way.
It grew larger and larger, a giant blast wave spreading towards them, they would easily be wiped out by the minute.

John backed away, strangely, he was the only one who wasn't thrown across the playground by the blast.
Sarah held onto the fence tightly, still struggling to scream at John to leave.

John turned away, and ran.
He ran further and further away from the playground, but the forest before him just spread out as if it was reaching away from him.
He carried on running, but nothing seemed to happen, and the screams of his mothers pain was ringing in his ears.

He turned, and stared as his mothers lifeless skeleton, looked as if she was reaching out towards him, flew apart like leaves.
He screamed to his mother, but was struck by the blast wave.

Then he woke up.

Carbonek_0051
23-05-09, 11:51
^That's very emotional and sort of depressing.:o

I was hoping for some sort of dream sequence, but tbh the film is near perfect as it is now.:tmb: I like how he has a picture of his mom in the film, and it has Linda herself in it.:D

James_Rutland
23-05-09, 12:26
Yeah it's supposed to be depressing, like the rest of the film. :D
I still have yet to see it, so it's better than the third.. right? :p

Nannonxyay
23-05-09, 12:54
All the film reviewers say it's crap. :p

Nerd For Life
23-05-09, 13:33
I'm not sure if it's worth watching for any other reason that Christian Bale is John Connor. :|

digitizedboy
23-05-09, 14:05
Having read many awful comments on imdb I'm certain that it's going to be an overhyped affair. But what the heck, I'll give it a chance when it finally gets released here in the UK. June the 3rd apparently. :p

Encore
23-05-09, 15:40
I don't really care about the Terminator movies at least not to the point to expect anything else other than fun entertainment. But it's got Christian Bale and Transformers in it, so I'm watching. :cool:

Nerd For Life
23-05-09, 15:41
I only liked Terminator I and II. III was just... meh...

Nenya awakens
23-05-09, 15:51
the terminator moves used to be hardcore action/horror. the first film was just so brutal.
i think since the 3rd film its just become a bit waterd down.
I'm still excited about seeing it though!! :D

Carbonek_0051
23-05-09, 21:55
Yeah it's supposed to be depressing, like the rest of the film. :D
I still have yet to see it, so it's better than the third.. right? :p
Soooo much better than the third film, this is set before T1. It sets everything up for the first film, and it's actually my favortie one next to T2 now.:D
All the film reviewers say it's crap. :p
Reviewers can burn, they wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them in the ass. Seriously I have never liked reviewers for anything.
I'm not sure if it's worth watching for any other reason that Christian Bale is John Connor. :|Tbh, Christian Bale was overshadowed in the film by Sam Worthington, he was brilliant in the film.:tmb:

I only liked Terminator I and II. III was just... meh...This is by far better than T3, it's not cheesey and it's more dark and gritty.:)

Nenya awakens
24-05-09, 13:41
so is it just Linda Hamiltons voice or is it a video of her talking?

Carbonek_0051
24-05-09, 13:43
so is it just Linda Hamiltons voice or is it a video of her talking?

It's just her voice on a tape recorder, but John has a photo of her which was taken in T2 I believe.:)

voltz
24-05-09, 14:56
It was taken at the very end of T1 by some hispanic kid asking for a few pesos. It's been showing up in every sequel after that getting more and more worn out. By salvation, this and the tapes are all John has left of her.

Carbonek_0051
24-05-09, 14:57
It was taken at the very end of T1 by some hispanic kid asking for a few pesos. It's been showing up in every sequel after that getting more and more worn out. By salvation, this and the tapes are all John has left of her.

Ah ok, I couldn't remember if it was T1 or TR2.:p

TombRaiderLover
24-05-09, 15:10
It was taken at the very end of T1 by some hispanic kid asking for a few pesos.

"What did he just say?"
"He said, 'There's a storm coming up.' "
"I know."
*cue music*

:p

Jedd Fletcher
01-06-09, 07:03
Aaaand, here's my full review of the film.

Movie Review 30/5/09

TERMINATOR: SALVATION

Starring: Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Anton Yelchin
Directed by: McG
Released by: Columbia Pictures

It has been six years since the last onscreen Terminator outing, a mediocre-at-best effort that functioned almost purely as Arnold Schwarzenegger’s last major film outing helmed by Jonathan Mostow. McG (actually Joseph McGinty Nichols) in the director’s chair does not seem to be much of an improvement, however the film is, surprisingly, far more salvation than damnation.

It is 2018, and the earth has become a post-apocalyptic wasteland run amok by fearsome machines known as Terminators, controlled in turn by the rogue defense system Skynet. The survivors of the nuclear fire form the resistance, led by the prophesized messiah figure John Connor (Bale). The Terminators are enslaving humans for research and it is up to the resistance to shut down Skynet. While some are skeptical of Connor’s leadership, he is assisted by his pregnant wife Kate (Bryce Dallas-Howard) and a loyal team of rag-tag soldiers, including the fetching and feisty Blair Williams (Moon Bloodgood) and right-hand-man Barnes (rapper Common).

Meanwhile, teenager Kyle Resse (Yelchin) is targeted by the Terminators. He appears to be just an ordinary kid surviving after Judgement Day, assisted by a young-but-seeming-fearless mute girl (Jadagrace Berry). Thing is, Reese will travel back in time to 1984 to protect and inadvertently impregnate Connor’s mother Sarah. Hence, Connor’s father is much younger than him, and Connor has to rescue Reese from the Terminators so he can be sent back in time and father him in the end – wrap your head around that!

Sam Worthington enters stage left as the enigmatic Marcus Wright, a convicted murderer who donated his body to cybernetic research in 2003. Wright reappears in 2018 with a muddled past, unsure of his identity and harbouring a mysterious secret, which is revealed in the trailers anyway-he is a Terminator-human hybrid but is unaware of it. Because of his physical duality, the resistance fighters, especially Connor, are suspicious of the stranger and where his loyalties lie. Only Blair sees the human side of Wright, putting her at odds with her comrades. The plot gears turn quickly and lead up to a confrontation with Skynet’s latest Terminator model, the T-800 Model 101.

First of all, there is plenty of Terminator lore to sift through, as it is an expansive universe made up of three earlier films, comic books, novels, video games and the television series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. However, this is what the fans have wanted to see, the resistance in full force and a veritable sea of Terminators as opposed to just one or two sent back in time. Surprisingly, the film is rather self-contained, with throwbacks to the previous films to tell the story quite effectively. In fact, the film is almost one big tribute to the franchise, with everything from the famous lines “Come with me if you want to live” and even “I’ll be back” to an almost scene-for-scene homage to the factory fight from the first film thrown in. The original Terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger even makes a digital cameo, his younger visage plastered onto bodybuilder Roland Kickinger (who plays the T-800 Model 101). Some of this makes for good trivia-spotting, but it does seem to go overboard at times.

The trailers and most promotional material make very clear that this is meant to be one big honking action extravaganza, and indeed it is. There is literally an explosion of some sort going on every other minute. Thankfully, these sequences are varied but all tight and exciting in their execution. The Terminators in the film are part-computer-generated, but mostly the masterpieces of the late creature effects designer Stan Winston, making this one of his last films. Plenty of Terminator variants are shown in brutal action, from the speedy Moto-Terminators and the piranha-like hydrobots to the chain-gun-toting T-600 models and the gigantic, multiple-armed harvesters. The action is good loud fun, but there are instances where the din of the effects bells and whistles threatens to drown out the emotion and human drama.

It is a good thing, then, that the performances are more than able to stand up to the visual fireworks. Christian Bale, fresh from playing another pop culture icon in The Dark Knight, steps into the shoes previously occupied by actors such as Edward Furlong, Nick Stahl and Thomas Dekker. Having Bale, arguably one of the most dedicated and talented actors of his generation, headline a flick definitely lends it some pedigree. Bale’s talent apparently comes with a temper though, as evidenced by his infamous profanity-filled tirade recorded onset. Ignoring that, he seems well able to juggle the action and dramatic aspects of this picture. In the end however, Bale seems to only put in 70-80% of his all into this flick, and this is far from the best we’ve seen the Welsh actor do. Still, Christian Bale’s 70-80% is in my opinion probably better than most actors’ 100%.

As for Bale’s onscreen future-father Anton Yelchin, his performance is quite remarkable. Yelchin also appeared in the recent Star Trek film, and in both these summer blockbusters he has definitely proven to be a fast-rising star. Here, Kyle Reese is a savvy and spirited teenager struggling to survive an onslaught of killer machines, which I thought was more interesting to watch than Michael Beihn’s portrayal of an older Reese as a world-weary soldier from the future playing guardian angel for Linda Hamilton’s Sarah Connor. Since then though, Biehn has faded into relative obscurity, but I do not foresee that fate for Yelchin.

Ultimately though, the film belongs to Sam Worthington. The Australian actor plays up the conflict and enigma of his character with much skill. Marcus Wright could have easily suffered severe malfunction in the hands of a lesser actor. The characters, particularly the Terminators themselves, have been mostly all-good or all-evil; here Worthington bravely steps into the grey and excels at doing so. Despite this being a summer popcorn blockbuster, Worthington’s performance is captivating and it shows that he has immersed himself in the role. Worthington does not let the large amount of prosthetic or computer-generated effects applied to his person hinder his performance, and goes deep into the psyche of the character, this displayed especially in his interactions with others. Of course, the definition of human is somewhat examined and the anti-hero that is Marcus Wright will definitely have you rooting for him. I will go as far as to say that Worthington’s performance may be this year’s equivalent of the late Heath Ledger’s Oscar-winning turn as the Joker in The Dark Knight.

In the ladies’ corner, Bryce Dallas-Howard is obviously a notch or two up from Claire Danes’ exhausted-looking portrayal of Kate Brewster in Terminator: Rise of the Machines. Her character functions as a source of moral support for John Connor, and is also a handy surgeon too. Moon Bloodgood is more fun to watch however, despite being visibly less skilled an actress as compared to Dallas-Howard. Bloodgood’s Blair Williams is a Resistance pilot and the stereotypical kick-ass tomboy ready to stand with the boys in the war against the machines, but her scenes with Marcus Wright provide what little gravitas the film possesses to the hyper-action proceedings.

Despite hearing many negative things about this film, I found myself thoroughly enjoying it. However, I still think it was slightly unfortunate that this film was handed to McG, who, having directed the risible Charlie’s Angels film and its sequel is visibly a far way off in terms of directing skill and vision from James Cameron, who created the series. McG struggles to prove he’s up to the mammoth task of delivering a new entry into the venerable sci-fi franchise, but all things considered he did a rather decent job. The action is solid and very thrilling, everything and more one would expect from a smashup between humans and machines, but it is the stellar performances that save this movie from the scrap pile and make it very, very worth watching.

RATING: 4/5 STARS

Jedd Jong

Tyrannosaurus
01-06-09, 09:44
It was much better than I thought it would be, but still fell short of the mark. There were some splendid moments, and some retarded moments, and a few glaring plotholes, but at least it was head, neck and shoulders above T3. I'm cautiously optimistic that the next film (or two) may be better, perahps even kind of terrific.

For the record, here's how I feel about the Terminator franchise:

Terminator 1: Though time travel is possible, there is a certain inevitability to how it all plays out, and ultimately only one timeline. A causal paradox involving time travel, thus John Connor has ensured his own existence and the existence of his foe, though neither Kyle Reese nor the Terminator comprehend the role that fate has assigned them. The end.

Terminator 2: Actually, there's no fate but what we make for ourselves, so Judgement day and the war against the machines won't happen after all. The end.

Terminator 3: Yes they will. Stay tuned and give us your money.

Terminator 4: OK, here's part 1 of how the deal goes down . . . stay tuned, because it'll get better, we promise!

As you can see, the logic of the first two films was lost on the writers of Terminator 3, so that film made the events of Terminator 2 completely pointless, and by itself it serves no purpose except to ensure us that more Terminators movies will be made. So at this point we can really just ignore T2 and T3 and hope that the next Terminator films will re-establish continuity with the first, and complete the loop.

Aphrodite22
07-06-09, 02:09
It was much better than I thought it would be, but still fell short of the mark. There were some splendid moments, and some retarded moments, and a few glaring plotholes, but at least it was head, neck and shoulders above T3. I'm cautiously optimistic that the next film (or two) may be better, perahps even kind of terrific.

For the record, here's how I feel about the Terminator franchise:

Terminator 1: Though time travel is possible, there is a certain inevitability to how it all plays out, and ultimately only one timeline. A causal paradox involving time travel, thus John Connor has ensured his own existence and the existence of his foe, though neither Kyle Reese nor the Terminator comprehend the role that fate has assigned them. The end.

Terminator 2: Actually, there's no fate but what we make for ourselves, so Judgement day and the war against the machines won't happen after all. The end.

Terminator 3: Yes they will. Stay tuned and give us your money.

Terminator 4: OK, here's part 1 of how the deal goes down . . . stay tuned, because it'll get better, we promise!

As you can see, the logic of the first two films was lost on the writers of Terminator 3, so that film made the events of Terminator 2 completely pointless, and by itself it serves no purpose except to ensure us that more Terminators movies will be made. So at this point we can really just ignore T2 and T3 and hope that the next Terminator films will re-establish continuity with the first, and complete the loop.

there are gonna be more films???? :jmp:

i saw it today and loved it! the plot was much better than i expected and
Arnold Schwarzenegger's face looked so fake :vlol:
i dont understand why it got so many bad reviews :confused:
plus christian bale is hawt :p
imo the worst movie is the third one

Jo269976
07-06-09, 04:15
Better than T3, miles behind T2.

Catapharact
07-06-09, 04:36
Not a total waste of time but still not good enough. Whereas I can't deny the thrill factor interms of action, the movie itself was just a repeat of Asimov's philosophy presented in iRobot. Only iRobot was a tad bit more entertaining and actually... more engaging. It seems that after the success of Asimov's concept with animated series and movies like "Ghost in the Shell" and "Appleseed," directors and producers working on New ideas for the Terminator franchise seem to be taking inspiration from these given animation series. The Sarah Conner Chronicle series is a perfect example of that and the concept was adapted to a whole new level for Salvation.

However such a concept would have worked great for the series but not for the movies.

Admles
07-06-09, 06:25
Thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Saw it Friday night, enjoyed it from start to finish. As always folks, NEVER listen to reviewers, make your own conclusion.

fuzzycroft
07-06-09, 06:38
Aaaand, here's my full review of the film.

Pretty good review there, Jedd. I agree with much of what you said.
I was impressed with the kid who played Kyle Reese, and Worthington indeed stole the show (despite constant twangs of his Aussie accent noticeably coming through).

I quite like the way they made a callback to John Connor's scar from T2 too :)

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/fuzzyrando/tomb_raider/misc/john_connor_scar.jpg

Cochrane
07-06-09, 06:47
I'm a blasphemer who hasn't seen any of the three previous movies, only the TV series, so my main complaint is that there is not enough Summer Glau. :D (and by the way, I am planning to see them, just didn't get around to it yet)

Anyway, the movie is fun to watch, there's lots of stuff blowing up, visual effects are good, but it's not really something that'll go in my personal list of most awesome movies ever. Most of the characters don't seem too interesting, John Connor in particular stays very flat, to the point that I prefer the whiny guy from Sarah Connor Chronicles. I seriously don't get why anyone listens to his speeches, other than that there's nothing else on radio. And is there any purpose to the mute girl other than that we can say "aww" every now and then (which does not quite fit into the overall feel of the movie)?

Generally speaking, the movie seems to be asking a lot of the same questions as the TV series, about what separates humans from machines, but where the show can take the time to sometimes just hint at it, and sometimes devote entire episodes to that question, the movie just plainly answers it as "it's about the human heart", which did not quite convince me.

Mona Sax
07-06-09, 08:49
As Josh Friedman (Sarah Connor Chronicles creator) rightly stated, 'There's never enough Summer in anything or anyone.' :D

I enjoyed Salvation. Sure it's not as good or even revolutionary like the first two movies, but it's an absolutely solid action flick and even manages to add new facets to a series that's been going on for 25 years now. Sam Worthington is just brilliant, capturing the nuances of his character much more convincingly than Christian Bale, which was quite a surprise. I don't want to wander into spoiler land here, so let it suffice to say that given the nature of their respective characters, their roles should have been switched.

There are also some cheesy moments (I didn't particularly like the huge collector robots or the motorbikes, for example, which oddly felt less realistic than the humanoid cyborg skeletons we're used to). Then again, the earlier movies had those, too. I still cringe whenever I see Schwarzeneggers 'thumbs up' at the end of T2.

Catapharact
07-06-09, 10:05
I still cringe whenever I see Schwarzeneggers 'thumbs up' at the end of T2.

Yet it had such an epic impact on the film world :p. If you cringed at that, then you certainly will get a stroke after seeing these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqsZ4hAh-T4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfTKViNoUVY