PDA

View Full Version : Brontok

IceColdLaraCroft
22-05-09, 23:49
My old laptop is being attacked by the Brontok virus. I cannot open ANYTHING related to the internet (opera, google chrome, internet explorer) as it immediately shuts down the program and slows the computer before shutting it down.

I'm on my new laptop now. I have the Malwarebytes' Anti-malware software scanning in safe mode to see if it will detect it/fix the problem, but will that be enough or should I take it to a professional?

The old laptop has everything of mine on it. Photos, videos, music, itunes, school documents, work documents. I would be sad if I lose everything, but at the same time I will not have a mental breakdown.

Is there a way to fix my old laptop (taking it to someone) or will they have to completely wipe it's memory? Again I cannot log into the internet on that computer so I cannot download any recovery/fix tools.

spikejones
23-05-09, 02:35
Is there a way to fix my old laptop (taking it to someone) or will they have to completely wipe it's memory?
memory is "wiped" every time you turn off your machine. what you speak of is storage space.

Again I cannot log into the internet on that computer so I cannot download any recovery/fix tools.
have you considered to boot in "safe mode with networking support"? try that first to download the tools you need. If no dice, download them on the machine you are reading this post on, and transfer to the other machine via removable storage.

try your luck by reading through this article:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_remove_brontok_virus_manually