PDA

View Full Version : Arrested for swearing on a 9-11 call!

Nannonxyay
23-05-09, 15:00
This really, really irritates me. :mad: The girl was scared, of course she would swear. Her father could have died and he would have been responsible for it. :hea: He has no reason to hang up on her several times.

She wasn't even swearing directly at the officer to begin with, in fact, she was swearing because she couldn't get through and she was obviously frightened for her father's life. Then the cop started telling her to watch her language even though she was obviously scared, and thus, this irritated her.

There's no excuse for a police officer to treat a person this way. It's disgusting. What if the man had died?

Nerd For Life
23-05-09, 15:04
What the hell?! That's really, really, really STUPID!

I can't believe the police officer acted that way, FREAKING IDIOT.

She was swearing because she was nervous because it was her FATHER that was in danger...

Oh my... seriously?

dizzydoil
23-05-09, 15:07
That's pathetic. You'd feel so alone and confused - what with the police not even there to help you. That's what they do though, right? Hm. I begin to loose respect for the police, seriously.

TRhalloween
I'd probably swear a lot in that situation and I never swear.

God Horus
OMG... This is so stupid! :mad:

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-05-09, 15:16
He just asked her not to swear and she deliberately did it again anyway. She was being stupid. She needs to learn some self control and how to conduct herself in emergency situations or no one will be able to take her seriously.

She keeps saying she's scared, but it sounds to me like she's acting like a spoiled brat, I don't hear any fear in her voice at all, but more defiance than anything. "Send me a ****** ambulance!" and "So are you going to send me an ambulance or not?!" And then going on to argue with him? She's a little brat that needs to grow up, she's using fear as an excuse.

I mean, really. She didn't even tell him what was wrong, all she said as, "Send me a ***** ambulance!" It doesn't sound serious, and the police shouldn't be expected to send an ambulance when it could be a prank, they need to know what is wrong, first.

If you want someone to help you, you should treat them with respect; otherwise, don't expect help at all if you're going to have a bad attitude with them. She obviously has no respect for our law enforcement, and that is just plain pitiful. She's going to have a hard life when she grows up, one she discovers the whole world doesn't revolve around her. Another example of why people should raise their kids properly, because they become a pain in the neck to society otherwise.

alisteravenger
23-05-09, 15:17
What the HECK? That guy should be sued! I mean she's a really scared teenager whose dad could have died-she has a RIGHT to swear! I mean what would you do if that sort of thing happened to you? And the officer just made the whole thing worse by not getting her an ambulance and telling her not to swear, firstly by making her angrier and secondly putting the man's life in serious danger! What if her dad had died? Imagine haw much trouble the officer would have gotten in then! Is it a crime to shout "get me a :cen:ing ambulance" when youre really scared and you REALLY need an ambulance? No, I don't think it is!!

Mr.Burns
23-05-09, 15:25
Swearing to an officer is disorderly conduct and one "can" be arrested. However dispatchers get people swearing all the time, they're supposed to be trained to ignore this and do their job. I suspect that either guy has personal issues or just had enough. Either way his conduct was most unbecoming for an officer.

]{eith
23-05-09, 15:29
He just asked her not to swear and she deliberately did it again anyway. She was being stupid. She needs to learn some self control and how to conduct herself in emergency situations or no one will be able to take her seriously.

She keeps saying she's scared, but it sounds to me like she's acting like a spoiled brat, I don't hear any fear in her voice at all, but more defiance than anything. "Send me a ****** ambulance!" and "So are you going to send me an ambulance or not?!" And then going on to argue with him? She's a little brat that needs to grow up, she's using fear as an excuse.

I mean, really. She didn't even tell him what was wrong, all she said as, "Send me a ***** ambulance!" It doesn't sound serious, and the police shouldn't be expected to send an ambulance when it could be a prank, they need to know what is wrong, first.

If you want someone to help you, you should treat them with respect; otherwise, don't expect help at all if you're going to have a bad attitude with them. She obviously has no respect for our law enforcement, and that is just plain pitiful. She's going to have a hard life when she grows up, one she discovers the whole world doesn't revolve around her. Another example of why people should raise their kids properly, because they become a pain in the neck to society otherwise.

If an officer can't handle a girl in panic on the phone, then he shouldn't be answering it. He lost it and called her a stupid ***** and hung up the phone giving her no chance to calm herself and explain what was happening. The only one there who comes off as immature to me is the man who denied her an ambulance with a pitiful excuse. :(

violentblossom
23-05-09, 15:31

Whilst i agree that she definately should have come right out and said that there was an emergency, she was quite panicked, and so maybe she just wasn't thinking clearly.

Also, if you feel like you're in a desperate situation where you're trying to save someone's life, you're not concentrating on being polite or patient or calm, the clock is ticking and you just want to get help as quickly as you possibly can. Do you know what i said when i called 911 after my apartment caught fire? "My ****ING APARTMENT, its ON FIRE! Please HELP!!!!"

The cop swore at her right back and was so hung up on her foul mouth that he didn't even stop to ask what the problem was. I'd have his job pronto if i was his superior.

She did sound like a brat, but she needed help.

TRhalloween
23-05-09, 15:34

It's their job. Whether the caller is a brat or not, they are still needing medical attention. You can't just let someone off because they weren't being nice to you. Her dad just had heart surgery and could have died.
That's way more important than manners.

Though, to be honest, she was making it harder for herself. He unreasonably told her to stop swearing but she didn't.
But she sounded unstable at the time.

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-05-09, 15:39
But I see a big difference in what you said and what she said. While you both used swear words, you said, "Please help!" All the girl did was rudely DEMAND an ambulance. "Get me a ****ing ambulance!" and "Are you going to get me an ambulance or what?!" Again, doesn't sound much like an emergency, it sounds more like she's being a brat, and could have easily been a prank call. You can't send an ambulance unless you know what's wrong. He asked her to stop swearing, and she argued with him. You simply can't help someone if you have to argue with them.

I work at customer service at Best Buy, and even though it's a lot different than saving people's lives, I deal with people that have raging fits because they can't return stuff. No matter how hard you try to politely tell them their alternatives, you can't get through to them because of their ridiculous temper tantrums, and many times you have to either make them leave or refuse service from them, because you really can't get anything out of them.

This girl wasn't giving the cop anything, again, he could have thought it was nothing more than a prank call. She just asked for an ambulance, she never said why. Most people will say something, like you did, "My apartment is on fire!"

She demanded an ambulance, without reason, and completely disrespected an officer in the process. It's downright pathetic. It makes me sick how people have lost respect for both their elders and the law enforcement. Brats.

I do agree that he should have at least tried to ask her what was wrong, but all in all, I think he was far more in the right than she was. Its' easy to point fingers at him, but if you have any experience at all dealing with unruly people like her, you'd be able to sympathize with him much better.

In a perfect scenario, he should have not argued with her and asked her what was wrong and sent an ambulance. THEN he should have arrested her.

Nannonxyay
23-05-09, 15:42
{eith;3669865']If an officer can't handle a girl in panic on the phone, then he shouldn't be answering it. He lost it and called her a stupid ***** and hung up the phone giving her no chance to calm herself and explain what was happening. The only one there who comes off as immature to me is the man who denied her an ambulance with a pitiful excuse. :(

:tmb: Excactly. I don't see how anyone can justify what the police officer did. Some people are so blind. They think the police are perfect, when indeed some of them can be absolute idiots.

The police officer is a hypocrite anyway, he swore at the girl after telling her to stop swearing.

Goose
23-05-09, 15:42
It was a retarded thing for a Sergeant to do without a doubt, over his time he should have gained the judgment to see that she's just an idiot but certainly needs help. He probably had a caller before her who had a foul mouth, and possibly not a very good reason to be calling, and just took that onto the next called, which isnt professional at all.

violentblossom
23-05-09, 15:49
Well, Melonie as someone else pointed out, he obviously had no business answering 911 calls.

If you can't get past the curse words, then you don't need to be a position to have someone's life in your hands, bottom line.

He was so stuck on himself and how offended he was that he completely disregarded an innocent life in jeopardy.

If he'd just taken her call without a hitch and then arrested her at the scene, well, i could live with that, but that isn't what happened.

I've also worked in customer service, and as you said, its a very different thing than dealing with life and death situations. Someone cussing you out because they bought defective merchandise is stupid. Someone cussing you out because they feel like their father is dying is well within reason to freak out.

Nerd For Life
23-05-09, 15:50
Well, Melonie as someone else pointed out, he obviously had no business answering 911 calls.

If you can't get past the curse words, then you don't need to be a position to have someone's life in your hands, bottom line.

He was so stuck on himself and how offended he was that he completely disregarded an innocent life in jeopardy.

If he'd just taken her call without a hitch and then arrested her at the scene, well, i could live with that, but that isn't what happened.

I've also worked in customer service, and as you said, its a very different thing than dealing with life and death situations. Someone cussing you out because they bought defective merchandise is stupid. Someone cussing you out because they feel like their father is dying is well within reason to freak out.

I literally can't wrap my head around how he simply forgot an innocent life was in danger and focused on the swear words. Such an incompetent idiot, he should learn to deal with this kind of situations.

Changeling
23-05-09, 16:00
But I see a big difference in what you said and what she said. While you both used swear words, you said, "Please help!" All the girl did was rudely DEMAND an ambulance. "Get me a ****ing ambulance!" and "Are you going to get me an ambulance or what?!" Again, doesn't sound much like an emergency, it sounds more like she's being a brat, and could have easily been a prank call. You can't send an ambulance unless you know what's wrong. He asked her to stop swearing, and she argued with him. You simply can't help someone if you have to argue with them.

I work at customer service at Best Buy, and even though it's a lot different than saving people's lives, I deal with people that have raging fits because they can't return stuff. No matter how hard you try to politely tell them their alternatives, you can't get through to them because of their ridiculous temper tantrums, and many times you have to either make them leave or refuse service from them, because you really can't get anything out of them.

This girl wasn't giving the cop anything, again, he could have thought it was nothing more than a prank call. She just asked for an ambulance, she never said why. Most people will say something, like you did, "My apartment is on fire!"

She demanded an ambulance, without reason, and completely disrespected an officer in the process. It's downright pathetic. It makes me sick how people have lost respect for both their elders and the law enforcement. Brats.

I do agree that he should have at least tried to ask her what was wrong, but all in all, I think he was far more in the right than she was. Its' easy to point fingers at him, but if you have any experience at all dealing with unruly people like her, you'd be able to sympathize with him much better.

In a perfect scenario, he should have not argued with her and asked her what was wrong and sent an ambulance. THEN he should have arrested her.

If he hadn't told her to watch her foul mouth and had just simply ignored the swearing and put her through to an ambulance, then the situation would've been much better. Police are trained to handle "brats" like her and are supposed to ignore foul language if it comes their way. She was scared, she was nervous, she was worried, her father could have died. She was desperately in need of an ambulance, and the reason she probably didn't say the reason she needed it at first was because, usually in that situation, the person on the other end of the line will ask the caller what the emergency is. He provoked her when he told her to watch her language and he just made her become more agitated. And she wasn't showing disrespect to the man, she wasn't swearing directly at him, it slipped out because of fear and the situation she was in. It's unfair of you to call the girl a brat when you don't even know her and what was going on in her mind at the time. If I was in that situation then off course I would've been irritated if someone told me watch my language if I was already in a situation where I'm scared, worried, and potentially on the verge of tears. They are there to help me. Hanging up the phone was irresponsible. Yes, it could well have been a prank, but he didn't even ask what the situation was. Even if it was a prank and he had dispatched an ambulance for her, she would be the one getting in trouble, not him.

Atlantisfreak666
23-05-09, 16:01
This is horrible!
:mad:

telcontar
23-05-09, 16:02

Um, no. Did you even listen to that conversation? She couldn't tell him what was wrong because he started lecturing her about swearing (she said WTF, not knowing that they already picked up the phone). Then she got angry naturally.

Draco
23-05-09, 16:03
As someone who has been in the same position as the officer, I can say with certainty that most people that need help have no idea how to help you help them.

And someone who can't at least explain what is going on, isn't going to get much help.

You have to know where to send the help, what they need help with, and tons more information that might be relevant.

That said, he could still have exercised more patience.

TRhalloween
23-05-09, 16:04
As someone who has been in the same position as the officer, I can say with certainty that most people that need help have no idea how to help you help them.

And someone who can't at least explain what is going on, isn't going to get much help.

You have to know where to send the help, what they need help with, and tons more information that might be relevant.

He never asked her what the problem is or her address.

Draco
23-05-09, 16:06
He never asked her what the problem is or her address.

Like I said, they both could have handled it better. But at least she had a reason.

telcontar
23-05-09, 16:06

In this case, she started normally. She told him her address and before she could explain anything else, he started lecturing her. And her dad was in life-threatening situation. So, instead of being talking about her language, he should have let her tell what happened.

Changeling
23-05-09, 16:08

He could've asked her all those things, but he didn't. Instead he went on lecturing her about swearing and then hung up on her multiple times while her father was facing potential death.

violentblossom
23-05-09, 16:09
I sort of feel for the officer, because i'm sure being a cop is no picnic, i just feel that he should have known at least a little better that sometimes people just spaz out.

He's a decorated officer and that's probably not going to last long.

Draco
23-05-09, 16:09
Nevermind, clearly nobody reads the entire post. :rolleyes:

Changeling
23-05-09, 16:13
Nevermind, clearly nobody reads the entire post. :rolleyes:

I did read the full post, but I'm still standing by what I said.

Draco
23-05-09, 16:19
I did read the full post, but I'm still standing by what I said.

If you want to use me as a punching bag, go right ahead. You certainly wouldn't be the first to take my words out of context to make it seem like I disagree with them.

Goose
23-05-09, 16:20
In the uk you dont need to mention your address, as phone numbers can be traced, iv never been asked an address, unless it was at work (business/work numbers come up a blank to them).

Changeling
23-05-09, 16:24
If you want to use me as a punching bag, go right ahead. You certainly wouldn't be the first to take my words out of context to make it seem like I disagree with them.

I don't see how I'm using you as a punching bag.

Draco
23-05-09, 16:26
I don't see how I'm using you as a punching bag.

You quoted me to tell me something I already knew, and stated agreement with.

What else would you call it?

Changeling
23-05-09, 16:32

I quoted the part that is in bold in the post where I'm apparently using you as a punching bag... I still don't see how I took your post out of context, all I'm saying is that the police officer could have asked her those things, but he didn't. I'm not attacking you.

trXD
23-05-09, 16:35

I dont agree at all. The swearing wasn't innapropiate, first since she was swearing about her dad having a seizure which is completely understandable and not even directed at anybody, then she sweared at that dick of an officer hanging up on her in such danger which is again understandable.

This officer put a man's life in serious risk and let a terrified girl to panic when he could have easily got help, you don't do this because somebody swears at you.

scion05
23-05-09, 17:11
Well, if he ever collapses onto the floor, and has a seizure, I hope no-one sends him an ambulance :)

TRfan23
23-05-09, 17:13
In the uk you dont need to mention your address, as phone numbers can be traced, iv never been asked an address, unless it was at work (business/work numbers come up a blank to them).

But one time, I was in the car, and a wheel came off the back of a car in front.
This was on a motorway, and it rolled into the middle of the road. My bro called 999 for an emergency, as in case of an accident. The police asked him our address etc...

patriots88888
23-05-09, 17:24
It sounds to me like this is a classic example of monkey see, monkey do! Or practice what I preach, not as I do.

Being the person who is supposed to be in control here and of authority, the officer acted irresponsibly in his actions which could have quite possibly effected the outcome of another human beings life.

Not sure what specific actions should be taken at this point, but I'm relatively postive that some sort of reprimand will, or at least, should be issued. Especially considering the public backlash which has already ensued. I have a sneaking suspicion that this wasn't the officer's routine job and was filling in for someone else.

Dark Lugia 2
23-05-09, 17:33
It does'nt matter how the girl acted. That mans job is to send her an ambulance if she is in need of one. :| I think people are asking for way too much if they are expecting some people to not swear in such a situation. :rolleyes:

My opinion of the police doesnt suddenly drop because of the odd idiot here and there, though. :)

Heckler
23-05-09, 17:35
stupid american police :rolleyes:

I cant believe it!
If you pop in a swear word or two on the SA police line and they'll be there right away.

Two things a cant stand about some americans is their moaniness towards cigarettes and swearing.

hipocrits! :rolleyes:

irjudd
23-05-09, 17:40
Yeah those Americans with there moaniness.

**LARA LOVER**
23-05-09, 17:55
OMG! This is horrible! :cen: Well am glad the girl's dad is ok! I recently had a situation where my mom needed an ambulance and and I am sure I would have freaked out too if this guy was being such a jerk to me! I mean thats ridiculous her dad could have died because of them!

Lenochka
23-05-09, 18:13
This guy was a complete douche, I remember hearing about it a month or so ago on a gossip blog. I can't believe he would hang up on her, he put a mans life in danger by not doing his job and sending help when help is needed.

Yes, because every single police man or women in this country acts like this :rolleyes:

Mr.Burns
23-05-09, 18:16

I cant believe it!
If you pop in a swear word or two on the SA police line and they'll be there right away.

Two things a cant stand about some americans is their moaniness towards cigarettes and swearing.

*sighs and pulls out traditional response to this statement*

Stupidity is a global pandemic that does not recognize territorial or cultural boundaries.

Seriously, let's keep the American bashing out of this thread when crap like this can happen in any country.

violentblossom
23-05-09, 18:18
*sighs and pulls out traditional response to this statement*

Stupidity is a global pandemic that does not recognize territorial or cultural boundaries.

Seriously, let's keep the American bashing out of this thread when crap like this can happen in any country.

Something like what i was going to say.. unless you live here or have lived here, don't criticize our police/laws/ways of life.

Do i single out any of your establishments, and judge it all by a couple of stories i've heard here or there? No. Stop making such goofy generalizations.

voltz
23-05-09, 18:59

I cant believe it!

and I just lost respect for you.

Mad Tony
23-05-09, 19:01

I cant believe it!

hipocrits! :rolleyes:Hey, at least they got rid of segregation 30 years before you guys did. ;)

voltz
23-05-09, 19:02
Hey, at least they got rid of segregation 30 years before you guys did. ;)

:vlol:

Heckler
24-05-09, 11:45
Hey, at least they got rid of segregation 30 years before you guys did. ;)

Haha very true!
But at least our policeforce react when they should.
Police ought to know that an emergency is an emergency, not based on the individual in need of help's reaction over the phone!

What would you do if your dad tried to hang himself and you phone the cops....
You certainly wouldnt say :"good day to you sir, may i kindly request an ambulance to pick up my dad, he's in a very uncomfortable situation and im very positive about that"

Police jump the bandwagon when one girl swears over a phone, the same police who are used to dealing with rapists, murderers, gangmembers and drugsmugglers...

This girl did not commit a crime, the phone operator did.

Mad Tony
24-05-09, 11:49
So you think one isolated incident is reflective of a nation's entire police force?

Heckler
24-05-09, 11:51
So you think one isolated incident is reflective of a nation's entire police force?

nope, but i certainly think some of those moody operators should get fired...

adventurerLara
24-05-09, 12:11
This is disgraceful, she wasn't even saying it directly to the officer:hea:

Draco
24-05-09, 15:34
Haha very true!
But at least our policeforce react when they should.
Police ought to know that an emergency is an emergency, not based on the individual in need of help's reaction over the phone!

What would you do if your dad tried to hang himself and you phone the cops....
You certainly wouldnt say :"good day to you sir, may i kindly request an ambulance to pick up my dad, he's in a very uncomfortable situation and im very positive about that"

Police jump the bandwagon when one girl swears over a phone, the same police who are used to dealing with rapists, murderers, gangmembers and drugsmugglers...

This girl did not commit a crime, the phone operator did.

In many departments, police don't actually answer the emergency lines. They have special operators for that. It is generally the smaller ones that still have actual officers answering those lines.

Elmer
24-05-09, 15:39

Where did you find all this information? There must be a link somewhere:(
The only thing I can say about this now, is that this must be terrifying for her to do... and I can know, I've found myself in a comparable once, and it's terrible. The stress can even take your ability to speak away:(
How old was she?

trXD
24-05-09, 16:05
nope, but i certainly think some of those moody operators should get fired...

Well thats exactly what you were saying:confused:

Hairhelmet12
24-05-09, 16:43
Where ar you guys hearing this convo between the officer and the girl?

violentblossom
24-05-09, 16:51
Where ar you guys hearing this convo between the officer and the girl?

the vid was removed. try Youtubing it.

Hairhelmet12
24-05-09, 17:06
That cop is ignorant!

He said she was hostile! she wasent!
And he hung up on her 3 times? that guy is messed up.

Mokono
24-05-09, 17:40
Some people is so frustrated with their own jobs that they discharge they frustration over the first person they spot. It's dangerous when those negligent people have important jobs like 9-11 operators.