PDA

View Full Version : USB 'Insert Disk E' ... ?

Wana b like Lara
23-05-09, 22:08
Hi :wve:

Today i've found a USB and it's 32GB (:yah:)! I got all excited! :p But when i put it in to my USB port in my laptop and double click it says 'Please insert a disk in to drive E: ... What can i do about it?

I've tried to download a driver

Click Me For Driver. (http://www.peakhardware.com/products/productdetail.asp?PAID=377)

I downloaded the Drivers - Peak S Version Driver (exe) It extracted into my Hard Drive and it' just the set up it extracted ... I then double clicked it and it started to install but i didn't get to choose where or anything like that ... =/ I only had to click OK, Next and Finish ... :confused: I tried the USB again and i still got the error ... Help Me Please :( I reakky need this USB! :(

spikejones
23-05-09, 22:32
well you don't ever get to choose where to install drivers ;)
where did you "find" this at? but you know.. it sort of presents a moral dillema here as to whether support should be given for something obtained in such a manner. basically speaking - it belongs to someone else. When it all boils down to it - even though "one man's loss is another man's gain" and "finders keepers, loosers weepers" - taking something of value that belongs to someone else and is undoubtedly being missed, is in effect stealing (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stealing).

EscondeR
23-05-09, 22:34
1. What Flash drive is it exactly (model/number)?

2. What OS is installed on that laptop?

3. Does it recognise the flash drive presence as a device?

4. Is the flash drive formatted? Format it as FAT32.

Wana b like Lara
23-05-09, 22:36
1. PEAK Xtreme2 32 GB USB 2.0 (Exactly like the one in the picture of the link)

2. Windows XP Home, not sure what SP though

3. Yes it does ...

4. It won't let me format, it tells me to insert a disk into drive E

EscondeR
23-05-09, 22:43
Ummm... Was under impression the word "found" meant "somwhere in da house" still. As it was found outside it can be:

holding personal data/encrypted
infected
or most likely corrupt and thrown away (there are people who do this way still :( )

You still can try to found the actual owner of it :)

Wana b like Lara
23-05-09, 22:46
It was found outside ... :(

So no chance to get it workin? And how am i supposed to find the owner? :D

Also the thing is when i right click - properties it shows the pie chart as all blue and it says that the used and free are both 0 bytes ... =/

spikejones
23-05-09, 22:49
^ sounds corrupt to me

EscondeR
23-05-09, 22:52
Also the thing is when i right click - properties it shows the pie chart as all blue and it says that the used and free are both 0 bytes ... =/

Does it show the file system type also?

Judging by the symptoms (and being of 32Gb) - it's corrupt, actually a common thing for the whole party of 32Gb flash drives of about half a year old.

Wana b like Lara
23-05-09, 22:53
Nope it says Unknown ... :( Ahh Shame i could have really used this! :(

Agent Dee
24-05-09, 06:28
1. PEAK Xtreme2 32 GB USB 2.0 (Exactly like the one in the picture of the link)

2. Windows XP Home, not sure what SP though

3. Yes it does ...

4. It won't let me format, it tells me to insert a disk into drive E

for future info use, if you want to find out what SP of XP you have right click on the MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES and it will tell the following (this is what mine displays, yours may be different):

System:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Registered to:
David Griffith
CLASSIFIED
*serial number removed for security purposes*

Computer:
AMD Athelon (tm) 64 Processor
3200+