PDA

View Full Version : Time to change battery?

Sega Saturn
25-05-09, 00:19
Well, I have an Acer Aspire 5520 since November 2007, I love it. :D
Except... the battery only lasts 1:30 hours... before it lasted 2 hours... what's wrong?! :confused:

I never used the battery much, I always used the laptop with only the AC charger...

I let it charge for 1:30 hours (hmmm... that sounds familiar :p) turned off, until the orange light of the LEDs changes to green... or should I let it charge for 2 hours?

Anyway, do I really need to change battery? They're expensive and I only can find them online and I don't want to shop online.

nick-xx
25-05-09, 20:23
Well how long a battery last depend how you actually use your laptop when in battery mode...if there is heavy cpu load, graphics card load it may shorten the time, playing games short also the time...in standby mode it may last longer is something difficult to actually calculate...also don't forget Lithium batteries begin losing their charge since the day it get manufactured, and not when it first is used...so if you think your battery is dying even in standby mode is getting wway less then it should be then you have to buy a new battery.

TRfan23
25-05-09, 20:41
Also I heard that if you keep your battery on charge when it's full. That can also limit the battery's life to. So I at times take the battery out, and then just use the mains.

nick-xx
25-05-09, 20:54
^ Well not entirely true, as soon as a the battery get charged the computer will switch to AC power so it won't really affect, but its true that we should take out the battery because of the temp the battery is been exposed when the laptop get really hot in which shorten also the life.

Sega Saturn
25-05-09, 20:58
Well how long a battery last depend how you actually use your laptop when in battery mode...if there is heavy cpu load, graphics card load it may shorten the time, playing games short also the time...in standby mode it may last longer is something difficult to actually calculate...also don't forget Lithium batteries begin losing their charge since the day it get manufactured, and not when it first is used...so if you think your battery is dying even in standby mode is getting wway less then it should be then you have to buy a new battery.

AMD Athlon X2, nVidia Geforce 7000M, 1 GB of RAM. :p
I don't play games, I usually use this laptop for browsing the web, hear music, and MSN.

nick-xx
25-05-09, 21:03
Well then i guess is dying... you can still squeeze some more time reducing the LCD backlight to the lowest and using the OS powersave profiles

Sega Saturn
25-05-09, 21:06
Well then i guess is dying... you can still squeeze some more time reducing the LCD backlight to the lowest and using the OS powersave profiles

How the hell I'm supposed to do that in Windows XP. :p

nick-xx
25-05-09, 21:13
In the window where you choose your screen saver or right click desktop > proprieties go to screen saver tab, then click in "power..." button and you should see "power schemes", in there just use choose "Minimal Power Management" when in battery mode. Now the cpu will only run at full speed when needed. In AC mode choose "Always On". Also in your nVidia control panel you should also see a power savemode too it will also lower your GPU performance to increase battery time.

Sega Saturn
25-05-09, 22:30
WTF my laptop is at 0% according to Windows for a few minutes and it's still not dead? :confused:

Sega Saturn
26-05-09, 15:51
Sorry for the bumping. :p
I installed Avira, it takes less system resources and now I have 1:50 hours of battery :D.