PDA

View Full Version : Google advertisements at the top of the forum

larafan25
25-05-09, 02:41
ok soooo our forum has advertisements at the top of the page...and I was just wondering....

when your in a thread about a certain topic do they change to relate to that topic>?????

because when I was in the wallet loosing thread,there was an advertisement for wallets.....and when I was in my thread for wacom tablets,there was a wacom advertisemt....and when I was in the gay thread there was an advertisment to find your true man lover....:)

is this just a coincodence:)

Mokono
25-05-09, 02:44
Hahaha, i don't know... I didn't even know there was a gay thread.

larafan25
25-05-09, 02:46
^just the when did you know you were gay thread...nothing to exciting:D

lol,also there is a depression ad in the depression thread:P

TRhalloween
25-05-09, 02:48
They think that we're gonna be like "OMG That's what I'm looking for!" and we'll click on it.

larafan25
25-05-09, 02:50
^hmmmm,they must be very smart

I mean the first thing you see is an advertisemnt for phsykick readings on the main page,that probably helps CD when they supposedly enter the forums:D

Mokono
25-05-09, 02:53
They think that we're gonna be like "OMG That's what I'm looking for!" and we'll click on it.

Hahaha, then why my ads are in russian?

Tony9595
25-05-09, 03:06
I donīt have any advertisement, NEVER :)

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu358/tony9595/Dibujo-9.jpg

I love Opera :D

TRhalloween
25-05-09, 03:14
Hahaha, then why my ads are in russian?

You obviously love Russia if it's in the ad :p

Mokono
25-05-09, 03:20
You obviously love Russia if it's in the ad :p

I remember i wanted to learn russian so bad.

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu358/tony9595/Dibujo-9.jpg

Hmmm... This looks shooped:rolleyes:

spikejones
25-05-09, 03:27

I have Opera.. and ads. you must have an adblocker add-on, which you can get for FF as well ;). anyhoo.. yeah. the ads are relavant to information stored in your cookies (its actually a tracking cookie). If you browse to a lot of cell phone websites that use these ads, you'll start to see cell phone ads here at TRF. Or you may see TR ads at a the cell phone website.

Punaxe
25-05-09, 09:41
I have Opera.. and ads. you must have an adblocker add-on, which you can get for FF as well ;). anyhoo.. yeah. the ads are relavant to information stored in your cookies (its actually a tracking cookie). If you browse to a lot of cell phone websites that use these ads, you'll start to see cell phone ads here at TRF. Or you may see TR ads at a the cell phone website.

The feature is built-in :cool:

But I believe Google scans the page you're viewing for keywords, and the AdSense clients pay a certain amount of money per keyword. For example if Nikon paid to be displayed whenever the word "camera" is on a page, we'll see a Nikon ad when we're talking about cameras.
Google did a similar thing once with their e-mail application, but people became scared that it was actually reading and understanding their e-mails. :p

Changeling
25-05-09, 09:46
^ You typed AdSense and I looked at your post and got an ad for AdSense on the top of the page. :p

Ada the Mental
25-05-09, 10:00
I keep getting this one: http://i41.************/2pz08w3.jpg
Not just here, it's pretty much everywhere I go and it's really annoying because it makes this stupid cackling laughter every time I accidentally move the cursor over it. I tried cleaning up all the tracking cookies but it just won't go away. :p

Mr.Burns
25-05-09, 10:05
Firefox has an add on called no scripts. It can make surfing the web a bit unusual since it blocks almost everything by default but the settings for TRF auto block just the google ads. Without them, the forum runs quite a bit faster for me. :)

marla_biggs
25-05-09, 10:33
i always get those woo me ads with the weird dancers :confused:

Goose
25-05-09, 11:38
I mostly get endless MMORG adds, usually a different one everyday.

Marianna12
25-05-09, 12:11
I get a "death clock" all the time!!!!:hea:
It's so annoying!

TR FAN 18
25-05-09, 13:56
I have Ad Block Plus (Firefox Add-on) enabled so I NEVER get annoying banner ads. I sometimes get pop-ups when downloading from Megaupload and ugh... Rapidshare.

Punaxe
25-05-09, 14:13
I don't block any ads since I wish to support the sites I visit. I'll click on them every once in a while to earn the host some money. :tmb:

I only block advertising domains that are so slow that they stop the site they're advertising on from loading.

irjudd
25-05-09, 14:14
Although as nice as it is to have adblocking turned on, it does a disservice to the operator of this forum since that is the only source of potential income to help pay for this forum.

Compared to other sites, it is a minuscule advertisement. I'd say it wouldn't be so hard to disable adblocking on this site, if only for the sake of helping to keep it alive.

scion05
25-05-09, 15:57
^ Exactly, I was just about to say that :)

SamReeves
25-05-09, 16:06
I'm using Ad Block Plus. It zaps everything, and I'm no longer hypnotized by the flashing ads! ;)

Marianna12
25-05-09, 16:13
Well, I was just reading the thread about stuff you have lost...
I saw an advertisement "Get your driving license now!"
Oh my Gosh!:hea:

Reggie
25-05-09, 16:28
I keep adverts on in case I see something that interests me but unfortunately nothing I see ever gives me a reason to click. They've got it wrong if they think I'm someone likely to play MMORPGs. Its probably because I'm a forum using male teenager so I fit that demographic. Ah well. At least I'm helping out a bit by clicking on the occasional interesting advert.

oraclebop
25-05-09, 17:15
Would you believe, this thread is titled "Google Ads at the top pf the forum" And I got an ad about Google Ads. :vlol: :vlol: Google can read what page were on and give the perfect ad. How nice. :p

adventurerLara
25-05-09, 17:54
Yeah, that happens to me, its quite funny actually.
I also got this ad about a dating website(I think), with a man and a woman dancing:p

touchthesky
25-05-09, 17:57
Funny:

http://i44.************/28buo7k.jpg

Dina_Croft
25-05-09, 18:20
^^^omg!!!lmao...i always get the death clock thingy...:hea:

adventurerLara
25-05-09, 18:23
^ What is this death clock?

Marianna12
25-05-09, 18:28
^ What is this death clock?

Well, it counts down your time before you die!:D

adventurerLara
25-05-09, 18:29
Yeah, I guessed that:p
I don't think I've seen it thats all.

Dina_Croft
25-05-09, 18:41
theres another one that shows you a quiz that you can do to see how much time will you live!:vlol:

CerebralAssassin
25-05-09, 19:37
I keep getting this one: http://i41.************/2pz08w3.jpg
Not just here, it's pretty much everywhere I go and it's really annoying because it makes this stupid cackling laughter every time I accidentally move the cursor over it. I tried cleaning up all the tracking cookies but it just won't go away. :p

yeah I get that too...it scared the **** out of me the first time it made that laughter...:vlol:

Lara's Nemesis
25-05-09, 20:23
I've never really noticed the adverts. Don't think they are too obtrusive.

I've seen far worse on other forums. There was one that had averts inbetween the replies on threads.

spikejones
25-05-09, 22:01
http://i41.************/2415u7a.jpg

The feature is built-in :cool:

But I believe Google scans the page you're viewing for keywords, and the AdSense clients pay a certain amount of money per keyword. For example if Nikon paid to be displayed whenever the word "camera" is on a page, we'll see a Nikon ad when we're talking about cameras.
Google did a similar thing once with their e-mail application, but people became scared that it was actually reading and understanding their e-mails. :p

not sure if TRF uses them anymore considering I'm no longer running spybot s&d ie helper (since I don't use IE anymore) but when I used to visit these forums using IE, I'd constantly get pop-ups from spybot saying that it has blocked the download of "avenue a inc tracking cookie". Upon doing some research into these, I found that they were what were used to fuel the banner ads with "information relavant to the users browsing habbits". Hence my previous post ;).

SweetMaleficia
25-05-09, 23:22
The ads on this forum don't bother me in the slightest. However, I rage when advertisers feel the need to make their ads massive, in terms of file size - like long flashy GIF images or videos. It just slows this wreck down :mad: