PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus software that takes low system resources?

Sega Saturn
25-05-09, 20:53
What is the best anti-virus which takes low system resources?
(I don't mind if its paid or not.)

nick-xx
25-05-09, 21:00
There is NOD32 very low in system resources and very good in detection rate like Kaspersky.

EscondeR
26-05-09, 17:59
^ Completely disagree. AVG, Avast and Avira all better than NOD32 resource hogging slack that will miss a fair amount of viruses to make your PC inop. Not to mention the best (non-free) solution - Kaspersky Antivirus.

Sega Saturn
26-05-09, 18:01
^ Completely disagree. AVG, Avast and Avira all better than NOD32 resource hogging slack that will miss a fair amount of viruses to make your PC inop. Not to mention the best (non-free) solution - Kaspersky Antivirus.

NOOOOO! I remember nightmares with Kaspersky. D:
But I found Avira, which takes a lot less than the previous AVG 8.5 I had.

jamieoliver22
26-05-09, 18:08
There is NOD32 very low in system resources and very good in detection rate like Kaspersky.

I agree - I have been using NOD32 for while now and it uses hardly anything.

The latest version of AVG is terrible for resource hogging. I noticed a huge improvement when I switched to NOD32, much better performance all round. Plus, it is far less intrusive - it just sits there and does its job, downloading updates in the background without popping up an annoying update window like AVG did.

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 16:18
I have to give the nod to NOD32. AVG slowed my computer to a crawl.

irjudd
29-05-09, 16:31
Or you could just learn how to browse/download smarter and avoid antivirus altogether :whi:

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 18:09
Well, keeping the computer "off" all the time isn't an option for everyone. ;)

I think it would be foolhardy to feel you could effectively avoid all the hard work virus creators do. They work very, very hard at what they do. Untold thousands are out there right now trying their damnedest to screw you out of all your hard work and possessions. I don't like those odds. :confused:

irjudd
29-05-09, 18:14
You're effectively saying that all of the fools who have been browsing for years without active antivirus software running and still haven't contracted a virus/spyware/malware are fairytales.

Sega Saturn
29-05-09, 19:07
Or you could just learn how to browse/download smarter and avoid antivirus altogether :whi:

I never got an virus in my life.

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 20:01
No, just saying you're running an invisible risk. Plenty of people walk around at night in dark neighborhoods and don't get mugged either. Is that skill or luck? A little awareness, a little savvy, plus looking a little dangerous yourself--tough to take on and all that--and you're home safe.

*shrugs* Or maybe you were just lucky. All the hoods were already occupied so to speak. But out there somewhere could be someone who's just self-destructive or desperate enough to call your bluff. They won't care it's the well-lit corner and that someone might see, or that you're bigger than the average guy and might know karate. Heck, he's been planning this attack for years, taking his time perfecting the perfect lure to make sure you don't make it home that night.

It's a risk. No AV software will protect you 100%. There's always the new kid on the block no one's met yet. But I don't have the time to met every new kid on the block just to determine if my kid can play with him. There's just too many new kids, and my time is limited, as is my ability.

irjudd
29-05-09, 20:05
Bwah? Now your analogy has much less to do with Antivirus and much more to do with a Firewall.

Sega Saturn
30-05-09, 01:36
Um...

But I found Avira, which takes a lot less than the previous AVG 8.5 I had.
This thread has already became obsolete...

dox online
30-05-09, 07:57
Avira (http://www.free-av.com), light on system resources, best detection rate I've ever seen, and is free! Anti adware and anti spyware is included!

Mokono
30-05-09, 12:43
BitDefender, cause is not heavy (runs fine with 1gb), and has a nice interface... It also had been reviewed as number 1 few months ago (I guess kapersky won the position, but it's a heavy one).

Lost_Soul
02-06-09, 13:06
I don't know much about computers but I do know this much from my own experience:
Don't use Nod32, F-secure or avg. Why? Because they're pointless...and they make the computer unbearably slow.
The worst was F-secure. I got some kind of virus that did something with the program and F-secure wouldn't let me do anything anymore. Also wouldn't let me uninstall it or delete it. So I had to reinstall windows :(
Now I've had Kaspersky for like 4 years on both computers and it works perfectly and doesn't even slow down the older one.

Hawke1000
02-06-09, 16:46
What is the best anti-virus which takes low system resources?
(I don't mind if its paid or not.)

I think I'm the best person that can help you out here, the answer is simple: AVIRA AntiVir Personel, it's FREE, its very light on resources, the 2009 version boasts an Anti-Spyware as well; most importantly has the best heuristics and detection rate and has been declared the BEST anti virus software of the year 2008 (www.av-comparatives.org), its better than NOD32 (which does not have any free version btw). Cheers ;)

jamieoliver22
02-06-09, 16:53
Just to jump in and say, don't think about using either Norton or McAffee... They are the worst, over-rated anti-virus programs around (especially Norton).

Hawke1000
02-06-09, 17:01
Just to jump in and say, don't think about using either Norton or McAffee... They are the worst, over-rated anti-virus programs around (especially Norton).

Agreed. :hug:

EscondeR
03-06-09, 06:51
To sum it up.

If you want really reliable and powerful solution that takes not many resources, still works, use Kaspersky Antivirus for Windows File Servers.

Windows XP installation Tutorial (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=126951) :)

Weenymobilecar
03-06-09, 18:53
I recommend NOD32 as well. Have been running it for years on all the PC's I work with. Works well and doesn't hog resources like some others out there.