PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this forum needs a refresh/more stuff added to it.

Johnnay
28-05-09, 06:01
hello hello

im wondering. i like this forum but i do think this forum should have more stuff added to it like

more emoticons

the looks of the pages refreshed

pics to our sigs

writing more on our sigs

freedom to put avatars on ourselves

i cant think of any more

discuss

Tyrannosaurus
28-05-09, 06:12
More forums in general might be nice. There needs to be a section entitled "Ye Olde Pages of History, Philosophy, Religion, and Political Stuff".

spikejones
28-05-09, 06:12
1. more emoticons - the internet has many images you can put on a photobucket account and link here ;)

2. the looks of the pages refreshed - the content is what matters moreso than the theme. (although I do miss the old X-Box 360 theme, cuz it was green)

3. pics to our sigs - that is tacky

4. writing more on our sigs - I agree it would be nice to have a bit more than 80 characters including spaces and bbcode. too much though and it would be just as tacky as images

5. freedom to put avatars on ourselves - riiiiiiiiight then you would end up with people posting avatars that violate T&C in some manner or other. A moderators nightmare. Just be happy that Neteru is willing to do that service for us. Seriously, its not that complicated. Put an image in the thread, wait a bit, and voila.

6. i cant think of any more - I can.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 06:13
More forums in general might be nice. There needs to be a section entitled "Ye Olde Pages of History, Philosophy, Religion, and Political Stuff".

I second that motion! Biased Lol!

Johnnay
28-05-09, 06:26
1. more emoticons - the internet has many images you can put on a photobucket account and link here ;)

2. the looks of the pages refreshed - the content is what matters moreso than the theme. (although I do miss the old X-Box 360 theme, cuz it was green)

3. pics to our sigs - that is tacky

4. writing more on our sigs - I agree it would be nice to have a bit more than 80 characters including spaces and bbcode. too much though and it would be just as tacky as images

5. freedom to put avatars on ourselves - riiiiiiiiight then you would end up with people posting avatars that violate T&C in some manner or other. A moderators nightmare. Just be happy that Neteru is willing to do that service for us. Seriously, its not that complicated. Put an image in the thread, wait a bit, and voila.

6. i cant think of any more - I can.

you really didnt have to follow what i wrote

just write anything you can

spikejones
28-05-09, 06:30
^well its not a discussion if people don't interact :p

at any rate, there's been a plethora of threads consisting of "this forum needs" stuff. I've got responses in them.

patriots88888
28-05-09, 06:41
How about a section devoted entirely for those who feel they are much too intelligent for the remainder of TRF. You know, a special place they can call their very own and be amongst other snobs, elitists, and pompous fools. That way, they could discuss how great they are and above everyone else. Not at all unlike your typical politician's private gatherings and social clubs.

SamReeves
28-05-09, 06:46
How about a section devoted entirely for those who feel they are much too intelligent for the remainder of TRF. You know, a special place they can call their very own and be amongst other snobs, elitists, and pompous fools. That way, they could discuss how great they are and above everyone else. Not at all unlike your typical politician's private gatherings and social clubs.

LMAO!!! :vlol: Best idea yet. :D Banish them to their own Alcatraz! :mis:

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 06:47

I seriously doubt the place would turn into Sodom and Gomorrah if we were allowed to upload our own avvies. We can post whatever pictures we want already; occasionally someone will post something inappropriate but it gets pruned rather quickly anyhow. I don't see why the same couldn't apply to avatars. Meh... like you say, it's no big deal to request an avvie in the appropriate thread.

More community activities would be fun. For example, maybe we could have an official competition to design a new forum skin/logo.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 06:49

Why not I say ;). While the rest of the given TRF population slowly sees itself drown in its own filth of game, celeb and random frilly nilly threads, those who actually have good amount of working neurons in their heads can relax in a place that actually gives them a sense of peace and might actually like to read and contribute to something worth while in their free time ;).

EDIT:

More community activities would be fun. For example, maybe we could have an official competition to design a new forum skin/logo.

Been there done that Quasi. Unfortunately.

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 06:57
Why not I say ;). While the rest of the given TRF population slowly sees itself drown in its own filth of game, celeb and random frilly nilly threads, those who actually have good amount of working neurons in their heads can relax in a place that actually gives them a sense of peace and might actually like to read and contribute to something worth while in their free time ;).

EDIT:

Been there done that Quasi. Unfortunately.
I wonder what drama could come from a logo/skin competition?:p

Well, this is a gaming forum (gaming and...), not a serious political and philosophical discussion forum. By definition you've got to expect some portion of silliness.

Say there was a ban on game threads and their ilk, and moderators simple closed such threads as soon as they popped up. How do you think the forum population would respond, realistically?

Catapharact
28-05-09, 07:02
Well, this is a gaming forum (gaming and...), not a serious political and philosophical discussion forum. By definition you've got to expect some portion of silliness.

No one minds a "tiny bit" of sillyness. Its when its blown right out of proportion is when it becomes an issue. Hence why a seperate forum for political events, and the like isn't such a bad idea. I am all up for it.

Say there was a ban on game threads and their ilk, and moderators simple closed such threads as soon as they popped up. How do you think the forum population would respond, realistically?

Through a dictitorial POV, I wouldn't care. Justin doesn't seems to care when he decides to break his own rules and spam his own forum ;). Realistically speaking, no one minds a few game threads here and there. That however comes under the premise that the given population of the forum will be responsible enough to not abuse that given privildge for putting up such threads.

Look at GC right now and tell me that people here haven't abused it outright.

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 07:11
No one minds a "tiny bit" of sillyness. Its when its blown right out of proportion is when it becomes an issue. Hence why a seperate forum for political events, and the like isn't such a bad idea. I am all up for it.

If it were up to you, what would you change about TRF?

Catapharact
28-05-09, 07:16

a) Given the state of the forum as we see it, a new game thread will only be allowed to be created once every two weeks (two and a half weeks would be more preferable ;)) and its only gonna happen on a first come first serve basis. Don't care who comes crying to me about it.

b) Celeb discussions would be kept in chat threads and a big NO NO for celeb appreciation threads. They are a waste of space and contribute nothing more then banter can can be kept within the confines of the chat thread.

spikejones
28-05-09, 07:20

to see himself as a mod :p

yeah... no. I dunno about that actually. I've been an admin at another forum and have been on the receiving end of some nasty messages from members who were disgruntled that I called them down for double and triple posting their threads in different sections and other such behavior. I run another one that sees no use anymore that I am aware of, but I pretty much left the moderation of that one to Rowanlim and whomever she decided to designate. what I'd like to see is some sort of reward system whereby you receive rep points from different members based upon the quality of your posts, which can be traded in for special perks like a custom user title or ability to play arcade games and what not. obviously members would be handing out rep points willy nilly to their friends, so you'd only be able to donate points if you have points yourself, and it would come out of your own bank account. well... sorta similar to (and I hate to compare forums like such) CPF. They have a feature very similar to what I speak of, and with some customizing of the PHP scripts it could be implemented that way. *yes.. it is a vBulletin feature*

Catapharact
28-05-09, 07:23
what I'd like to see is some sort of reward system whereby you receive rep points from different members based upon the quality of your posts, which can be traded in for special perks like a custom user title or ability to play arcade games and what not. obviously members would be handing out rep points willy nilly to their friends, so you'd only be able to donate points if you have points yourself, and it would come out of your own bank account. well... sorta similar to (and I hate to compare forums like such) CPF. They have a feature very similar to what I speak of, and with some customizing of the PHP scripts it could be implemented that way. *yes.. it is a vBulletin feature*

Rarely works.

There was a star rating system before that was very much a part of this forum but it was abused quite a lot due to the fact that disgruntled members would actually start ranking members that they disagreed with, lower on the star scale. Unless there is a seperate unbiased panel set up to reward these given points, then its not gonna work.

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 07:24
tI'd like to see is some sort of reward system whereby you receive rep points from different members based upon the quality of your posts, which can be traded in for special perks
I think this would work better if mods handled the rep points. Then you'd have positive reinforcement for posts of merit.

Laralissa
28-05-09, 07:26
I think post count should be taken away altogether, that'd solve a hell of a lot of problems :p Ive been here a few years now and have only made a few posts - Id like to think that shows quality over quantity, which is what a few members deffinitely need to learn...

Catapharact
28-05-09, 07:27
I think this would work better if mods handled the rep points. Then you'd have positive reinforcement for posts of merit.

Are the mods up for this kind of responsibility? You guys are already being attacked for "being sarcarstic" by the whinos for closing their threads down with a funny reply. Imagine the amount of dung you are gonna have to deal with when it comes to rep. points. Angry PM glore from toddlers demanding as to why they didn't get more points.

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 07:33
Are the mods up for this kind of responsibility? You guys are already being attacked for "being sarcarstic" by the whinos for closing their threads down with a funny reply. Imagine the amount of dung you are gonna have to deal with when it comes to rep. points. Angry PM glore from toddlers demanding as to why they didn't get more points.

I imagine they've got disgruntled members firing angry PMs at them for one reason or another anyway.

spikejones
28-05-09, 07:34
Rarely works.

There was a star rating system before that was very much a part of this forum but it was abused quite a lot due to the fact that disgruntled members would actually start ranking members that they disagreed with, lower on the star scale. Unless there is a seperate unbiased panel set up to reward these given points, then its not gonna work.
you speak of punishment system. what I was getting at was the positive reinforcement of it - thereby rewarding only the quality stuff with donation of rep-points, but not removal. thus, rewarding the good and ignoring the bad. the way I envision it being implemented is that members start out with lets say 0 rep points. They must gain rep points from members with more longevity through quality contribution. Once they have some reputation, or cash, they can begin to donate what they have to other members - or they may trade it in on frilly stuff like sparkly text on their username etc. Additionaly money, or points, can be doled out from "the bank" (TRF itself) for various other reasons - such as gaining 10 points per daily login, or by earning interest by keeping your points in the bank and not on hand.
This is viable.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 07:38
I am all up for anything that would work at this moment. Punishment system is a tried and true menthod ;), where are positive re-enforcement will require a great deal of patience and time. I am willing to give it enough time to see it go through smoothly but like I said, the rewards system isn't a new concept when it comes to this forum. It definately was abused during the pre v-Bulletin era of this given forum. Hence I am skeptical about its prospects but am willing to give it a try again with a few changes.

spikejones
28-05-09, 07:45
you say "during the v-bulletin era" as if its not v-bulletin anymore :confused:

Catapharact
28-05-09, 07:48
you say "during the v-bulletin era" as if its not v-bulletin anymore :confused:

Apologies. I ment to say "pre-V bulletin" days.

spikejones
28-05-09, 07:52
I must admit, I was not around in those days. however, it appears from seeing the previous discussions from the longer term members such as Lavinder, that there is a bit of pleasant nostalgia with the way things were before. needless to say, I'm a bit befuddled here.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 07:56
I must admit, I was not around in those days. however, it appears from seeing the previous discussions from the longer term members such as Lavinder, that there is a bit of pleasant nostalgia with the way things were before. needless to say, I'm a bit befuddled here.

Given how long Lavinder has been with TRF, you have to realize that the given forum at that time did not have a significantly big population. It was quite small and hence there was this sense of community so to speak. It was quite the same with MGC as well when it first started.

Offcourse, as the forum grew, some of the significant members in terms of what they contributed to the given discussions, left (Nicky... :( ) and as time progressed and more and more members joined in, that small close knit sense of community vanished.

spikejones
28-05-09, 08:04
perhaps that is so, something which I cannot contest. there is however, a plethora (I like that word lately) of sub-communities here in TRF. call them cliques if you will. from what I can tell, these clique members will for the most part only discuss things amongst themselves, rarely taking a moment to note another member joining in. it has the effect of dividing the TRF community from what I can tell.:hea: granted not everyone is going to be friends with one another, but I don't get the impression very often that TRF is a community as a whole.

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 08:14
What? I get the impression that you feel like some kind of outsider here no matter how long you stay. I don't think it's clique-ish to the point where people are consciously excluding others from their discussions.

Marianna12
28-05-09, 08:15
No, I don't think so...
As for the pics in the signatures, no, I really hate it!
Also, many members may have a slow connection, and it would might take agas to load...I don't know...:o

Ward Dragon
28-05-09, 08:21
As for the pics in the signatures, no, I really hate it!

Agreed. It is so easy to read posts here. On other forums with images or blocks of text in signatures, it is very difficult to scan the thread and tell what's a post and what's a signature. I like it so much better here where the signatures are text-based only, clearly separated from the main post, and relatively short (I wouldn't mind a slight increase in the character limit, but I still would not want signatures to be that long). Also, I really like having the names and avatars to the side where they are clearly visible and don't interrupt the flow of the text in the posts :)

Marianna12
28-05-09, 08:25
Agreed. It is so easy to read posts here. On other forums with images or blocks of text in signatures, it is very difficult to scan the thread and tell what's a post and what's a signature. I like it so much better here where the signatures are text-based only, clearly separated from the main post, and relatively short (I wouldn't mind a slight increase in the character limit, but I still would not want signatures to be that long). Also, I really like having the names and avatars to the side where they are clearly visible and don't interrupt the flow of the text in the posts :)

Yes, I totally agree!:tmb:
It just makes me feel confused in other forums!:p

Jack Croft
28-05-09, 08:26
Music Section!

General <Insert Singer> Threads etc.

scoopy_loopy
28-05-09, 08:34
I really dont want people to be able to have pictures for signitures.

I like some new theme's though, the current one is getting so old now - and uploading your own avatar could be convenient I guess.

Punaxe
28-05-09, 09:26
Why was the switch made to vBulletin? There are many free alternatives so I'm genuinely wondering why Justin decided on this one.

A feature I'm missing is something I should maybe tell the vBulletin people and not just throw in the air here, but I want it to be that when I click on this image http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/statusicon/thread_dot_new.gif ("new reply since your last reply"), I am taken to my last reply so I can start reading from there. I don't usually remember the page numbers...

disneyprincess20
28-05-09, 09:30
A feature I'm missing is something I should maybe tell the vBulletin people and not just throw in the air here, but I want it to be that when I click on this image http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/statusicon/thread_dot_new.gif ("new reply since your last reply"), I am taken to my last reply so I can start reading from there. I don't usually remember the page numbers...

I've always wanted this too!

I would also like more characters in the signature, no pics/links, just more characters. Maybe 160 over two lines or something.

viper456
28-05-09, 09:37
In terms of features; I just take them as they come. Additions are always nice but at the end of the day I feel that the content in which people post is a lot more important than what it is decorated with. If people take more pride in what they post then that alone would give the forum a "refresh".

Legend Killer
28-05-09, 09:45
Avatar system is fine as is. It would add a lot more work to police a system where members got to upload them on their own with a forum of this size.

As far as image signatures go I am all for that. Put a limitation on the size/dimension of them and include the user level permissions to display/hide them in threads.

I would love to see a new look around here as well, but given the history of forum upgrades/updates that could add a lot of work to keep a skin up to date. Designing one is one thing but actually coding it to work is a time consuming task.

I've never heard of a mod/hack that would take you to your last post in a thread, but its worth asking at vBulletin.org perhaps. There is a roundabout way of achieving this but a few more clicks to get to it though. When you look at the General Chat forum for example you will notice a Replies column with the number of replies for that particular thread. If you click on it it will show the members who have posted in that thread as well as the amount of times they have replied. Click on that number and it brings you to search results for that member's posts with the latest being at the top. One more click will get you to the page of your last post.

More work but this has helped me in the past when I'm tracking things down. :tmb:

Minty Mouth
28-05-09, 09:52
Music Section!

General <Insert Singer> Threads etc.

I second this motion :tmb: great Idea.

I would like some new themes too (even a small selection of colours other than white/blue would be nice) Nothing too drastic of course.

Oh, and i've said it once, Ill say it again. I would love picture signatures, but only if they had very strict restrictions. For example, they must be 200x500 pixels or something like that, to keep order, no bigger, no smaller. And if they can be turned off in user settings, I see no reason to to have them.

Reggie
28-05-09, 10:14
I have no idea what could actually work at this point.
Seems the status quo is here to stay.

Angelus
28-05-09, 11:41
Let us upload bigger avatars... I've got a ton of animated avatars that I use on other forums but can't use on here.

Wana b like Lara
28-05-09, 11:44
Yup! Not comparing or complaining but has anyone seen the EA forum? :D

Jack Croft
28-05-09, 12:14
Self Avatar Service is a must surely?!?

Larson_1988
28-05-09, 12:14
A xD smiley. :)

TRULuverzz
28-05-09, 12:28
hello hello

im wondering. i like this forum but i do think this forum should have more stuff added to it like

more emoticons

pics to our sigs

writing more on our sigs

i cant think of any more

discuss

i like the sound of these :D
plus i want to be able to post avatars over 15KB's and it'll still upload

Cochrane
28-05-09, 12:37
Let's see: I'm all for the current avatar size limit precisely because it prevents many animated GIFs. In fact, I'd support prohibition of animated GIFs for avatars, because frankly, they are an annoying distraction.

I don't think the current avatar uploading system is good, though. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that it sucks. Other forums, as large as or larger than this one, have no problems with people posting their own avatars. If you really want the extra policing, let people upload their own avatars but have a moderator approve it before it actually gets shown as the new one.

Most importantly, however, I support the "elitist asshole section" because I'm a member of the target audience. There hasn't been that much interesting topics recently - in fact, this is the first thread I've posted in for quite a few months now. That's kind of sad, since there are many people here with whom it is fun to discuss, there's just no topic.

Marianna12
28-05-09, 12:44
Well, about the avatars, I completely agree with the current system.
Yes, it is annoying...you have to post and wait.
But, if we could upload our avatars, that would probably cause many problems. Such as inapropriate pics. I'm sure for that!;)

Johnnay
28-05-09, 12:46
i hate it when the actual limit of a avatar is 128X128. seriously can we please have it between 320X240-640X480 that way pics would be much better

oh and a live chat( live like if yours friends are offline/online i.e similar to FB Chat) plz

oh and

But, if we could upload our avatars, that would probably cause many problems. Such as inapropriate pics. I'm sure for that!;)

i wanted a sexy guy underwear model. but i never got it:(

and why is there NO CRYING EMOTICONS. when i feel like putting them on a post i realise that TRF doesnt have any:(

]{eith
28-05-09, 12:53
640x480 sized avatars? :eek: No thanks!
I think some new forum sections would be nice but mostly, I just care for the posts here.

merder
28-05-09, 12:53
i would like self upload able avatars too.
i don't really see the inappropriate pics problem because if they really wanted to post those there is the {img}(deshift the "{" and "}") bbcode.

i also woul'd love a XD smilie.

and for more sections maybe a forum games section. it some times takes forever to get to the fun forum games because they're lost in the general chat section.

TRhalloween
28-05-09, 12:56
I don't like the idea of self uploadable avatars.
A member could easily upload something inappropriate.
And no giant-ass avatars either, in my opinion.

Marianna12
28-05-09, 12:59

Agreed!:tmb:

Sedge
28-05-09, 13:04
i hate it when the actual limit of a avatar is 128X128. seriously can we please have it between 320X240-640X480 that way pics would be much better

:eek: Eh, you sure (http://i44.************/10o1w1k.jpg).. ?

TRhalloween
28-05-09, 13:06

lawl

Angelus
28-05-09, 13:16

:vlol:

Mad Tony
28-05-09, 13:18
And no giant-ass avatars either, in my opinion.This is always the argument used against uploading avatars yourself yet most other forums let their users upload their own avatars and I've never seen any problems. You can place automatic size limitations so that the avatars don't go over a specified size. As for people uploading inappropriate things - I'm sure the mods would be able to pick that up and deal with it pretty quickly.

I think it'd be nice to have little flags under our user names to denote which country we come from. I've seen it on other forums.

Phys
28-05-09, 13:35

LOL wow you must be joking :vlol: Avatar sizes are fine as they are! No bigger!

Rai
28-05-09, 13:38
I'd quite like to be able to upload my own avatar. As long as the same rules are kept for size and content, I can't see why it should be a problem.

Although there are sections for individual TR games, I'd like to see a General TR section. I know people can post in the General Chat section, I just think it would be nice to keep all general Tomb Raider topics in one place where they're less likely to be lost amonst all the bubblegum talk.

TRULuverzz
28-05-09, 13:44

AHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA! :vlol:
i'd rather if the avatar size was still 128x128, thats just too big!

Cochrane
28-05-09, 14:17
Although there are sections for individual TR games, I'd like to see a General TR section. I know people can post in the General Chat section, I just think it would be nice to keep all general Tomb Raider topics in one place where they're less likely to be lost amonst all the bubblegum talk.

I'd suggest that this new section would be merged with the current "Future Tomb Raider games" section - I think there'll be some thematic overlap and I don't think the new section would have too much traffic in the beginning otherwise.

trXD
28-05-09, 14:39
It would be nice if there was a "Worldwide new's and political issues" section and a "TV, music and whatever you fancy" section just to separate it all.

The fact that we cant upload our own avatar's is just stupid in my opinion. Most forum's out there allow it and never have a problem, if someone upload's a picture of breast's or something (which is very unlikely unless they have a ban wish) then yes maybe someone will see them in the 30 second space until it was removed but that person wont be harmed in any way.

Besides isn't it just as big of a risk that i could just post a link to porn right below me?

Clicky (http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/2008/05/01-07/funny-pictures-porn-watching-cat.jpg)

scoopy_loopy
28-05-09, 14:40
Why was the switch made to vBulletin? There are many free alternatives so I'm genuinely wondering why Justin decided on this one.

this already exsists.... you click the blue square, with an arrow in it next to the thread title.

Edit; this one! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/buttons/firstnew.gif

Please feel free to smack your forehead now :p

Dennis's Mom
28-05-09, 14:54
My suggestions:

1. I think "general chat" is far too general. I think we'd get better participation for certain type topics if they had they're own forums, like one for Movies/TV and Books. Right now there's so much traffic in General Chat, anything like that that gets started gets pushed down fairly quickly thanks to the game threads and the "right now?" threads.

2. I think we could use some new emoticons. Ditch some of the ones that are never used and add some that help to convey tone and intent. IGN actually has a very nice selection of emoticons. No matter what I'm feeling, from "thinking" to "applause" there's a gif to help me communicate what I'm saying.

3. I think being able to upload your own avatar is fine. I don't think we'll be accosted with porn. If anyone uploads something grossly inappropriate, a mod can punish them by moving to a member group that can't have an avatar for a month. I don't have a problem with animated avatars either, particularly if they're hosted off-site.

4. Sig pics . . . I'm on the fence for this one. They're nice, but unless the size is small it does make the forum hard to read.

disneyprincess20
28-05-09, 14:56
this already exsists.... you click the blue square, with an arrow in it next to the thread title.

Edit; this one! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/buttons/firstnew.gif

Please feel free to smack your forehead now :p

The arrow just take you to the lastest post in the thread, not the last post you made in the thread. That's what Punaxe is asking for; so you can easily go back and read from the last post you made to the most recent post.

Reckless Lara
28-05-09, 15:05
definetely i want to be able to add pic to our signatures.Yeah that is my fervent wish...:)

marla_biggs
28-05-09, 15:07
more emoticons would be fun. and if users could creates polls

i hope there's no pic sigs - would be a nightmare

tampi
28-05-09, 15:08
Let's see: I'm all for the current avatar size limit precisely because it prevents many animated GIFs. In fact, I'd support prohibition of animated GIFs for avatars, because frankly, they are an annoying distraction.
:(http://i40.************/9k1hk3.gif:p

Most importantly, however, I support the "elitist asshole section" because I'm a member of the target audience. There hasn't been that much interesting topics recently - in fact, this is the first thread I've posted in for quite a few months now. That's kind of sad, since there are many people here with whom it is fun to discuss, there's just no topic.

I miss some of those old threads too, and although I did not participate in them, I liked to read.:)
Many times I read news here, one or two days before coming to my country :cool:

-> Some helpful aditions like "youtube insert button" like the [QUOTE] button :tmb:

And
-> I often need pictures or information about TR characters or the mansion, etc. Little information on the TR games ...
Whenever I search on google and if I am lucky, I find a page with what I'm looking for.
It would be interesting to have a resource section with pictures of all the characters of the games in alphabetical order. A brief explanation of each game, vehicles, biographical data. But all roughly. These could be linked with tombraiderchronicles pages or tomb Raider wilkipedia to find more detailed information. :)

Reggie
28-05-09, 15:15
My suggestions:

1. I think "general chat" is far too general. I think we'd get better participation for certain type topics if they had they're own forums, like one for Movies/TV and Books. Right now there's so much traffic in General Chat, anything like that that gets started gets pushed down fairly quickly thanks to the game threads and the "right now?" threads.

2. I think we could use some new emoticons. Ditch some of the ones that are never used and add some that help to convey tone and intent. IGN actually has a very nice selection of emoticons. No matter what I'm feeling, from "thinking" to "applause" there's a gif to help me communicate what I'm saying.

3. I think being able to upload your own avatar is fine. I don't think we'll be accosted with porn. If anyone uploads something grossly inappropriate, a mod can punish them by moving to a member group that can't have an avatar for a month. I don't have a problem with animated avatars either, particularly if they're hosted off-site.

4. Sig pics . . . I'm on the fence for this one. They're nice, but unless the size is small it does make the forum hard to read.
I'm in agreement with all this. :tmb:

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 15:41

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6489/brainw1u.jpg

Excellent point. Maybe there could be two general chat sections: One for music, games, and pop culture, the other for more serious topics.

Dennis's Mom
28-05-09, 15:42
-> Some helpful aditions like "youtube insert button" like the [QUOTE] button :tmb:

Yeah! Or at least pin a thread telling me how to embed. The code Youtube spews doesn't work.

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 15:44
[QUOTE=tampi;3680620] -> Some helpful aditions like "youtube insert button" like the

Yeah! Or at least pin a thread telling me how to embed. The code Youtube spews doesn't work.

See part 2 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=146966)

tampi
28-05-09, 15:46
See part 2 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=146966)

I know it!
But can be very useful a simple button :)

Minty Mouth
28-05-09, 15:54

Exactly what i was thinking. The mods on this forum have got some people truly whipped :p The avatar system is silly, and unecessary, what part of you thinks that this forum is any different from any other where people can upload their own avatars? Its no more likely here than it is anywhere else for an "offending" image to be posted. If anything, this community is the most sensible of most of the forums out there. ANyways, with the mods on this forum, the image would be up for all of five minutes before it was noticed.

I respect the work that the mods do on this forum to upload our avatars for ous, but they dont have to do it, at all. They could save themselves a lot of trouble.

But its a fruitless debate, because its never going to change, they've made their minds up.

Quasimodo
28-05-09, 15:57
Wanna know what Vbulletin is capable of (http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php)? Could be an interesting read for this thread.

irjudd
28-05-09, 16:30
The only loathed and loved rules that I have an opinion on would be:

Avatars; The dimensions are just right in my opinion. The 15kb file size isn't bad either. It allows a decent looking image, while still protecting those poor schmucks who are using dialup from all of Angelus' 900kb gif's showing up 10 times per page. But we should be able to upload our own.

Signatures; I care not, as I have signatures turned off in my control panel so I don't have to see the same repetitious and useless words again and again and again.

Angelus
28-05-09, 16:31
The only loathed and loved rules that I have an opinion on would be:

Avatars; The dimensions are just right in my opinion. The 15kb file size isn't bad either. It allows a decent looking image, while still protecting those poor schmucks who are using dialup from all of Angelus' 900kb gif's showing up 10 times per page. But we should be able to upload our own.

Signatures; I care not, as I have signatures turned off in my control panel so I don't have to see the same repetitious and useless words again and again and again.

:vlol:

I do apologise!

TRhalloween
28-05-09, 16:35

...your face :pi:

jk

Fish.
28-05-09, 16:42
I'd like to see more themes be added, plain white or gray can be repetitive. Letting us post our own avatars again would also be a nice touch.

Legend Killer
28-05-09, 16:57
The arrow just take you to the lastest post in the thread, not the last post you made in the thread. That's what Punaxe is asking for; so you can easily go back and read from the last post you made to the most recent post.

After some testing here the method that scoopy_loopy posted does in fact work. It brings you to the first post that you haven't read since you last visited the thread.

Thanks for that tip. :tmb:

Explorer
28-05-09, 17:29

Looks like a great sleeve for a 12 inch vinyl record :cool:

The option to add a pic of yourself on your profile, like the Mods have. Albeit I'm not totally sure I would use it myself, but I'm sure others would consider it.

tampi
28-05-09, 17:36
^^http://i41.************/10zwu28.gif

Explorer
28-05-09, 17:38
^^ Infinite regression :D

Dennis's Mom
28-05-09, 17:48
thank you very much.

Encore
28-05-09, 17:49

I wish... :(

Explorer
28-05-09, 17:51
thank you very much.

Your welcome ;)

Lee croft
28-05-09, 17:55
to actually be able to set event reminders on your own trf calendar

i dont like the idea of pictures in signatures isnt that what avatars are for

avatar = singature picture so we kind of all ready have that!!!

altough i would like to be able to change my avatar a bit more often the 28 days why not once a week thats a bit more fair 28 days drags on a bit

tomblover
28-05-09, 17:58
Bigger avs.
Piccy sigs.

That's all. :p

spikejones
28-05-09, 18:38

there's actually two of them. one is to "view last post", which jumps you to the very newest post. The other is "view newest unread post" which jumps you to where you left off (sometimes). Its not very effiecient to be honest with you as I've seen it take me two pages beyond where I left off at. Other times, it is not even there save for the 4 or 5 top threads. It should always be visible.

Johnnay
29-05-09, 00:25
to actually be able to set event reminders on your own trf calendar

i dont like the idea of pictures in signatures isnt that what avatars are for

avatar = singature picture so we kind of all ready have that!!!

altough i would like to be able to change my avatar a bit more often the 28 days why not once a week thats a bit more fair 28 days drags on a bit

a TRF Calendar :confused::confused: that would be weird

Elessar87
29-05-09, 00:45
Hmm...I think the forums are ok as it is, but there are a few things that could be added. As Dennis's Mom suggested a forum for movies and books that is seperate from Gen Chat would be excellent. Also, more smilieys would be helpful but not entirely necessary. I get along just fine with the current ones. But more selection is always good. It sometimes gets boring using the same ones over and over again.

Letting users upload their own avatars is fine with me. I think we're all mature enough to not upload anything pornographic or offensive and even if someone were to upload something stupid a mod could easily remove it and punish that user somehow (ban them from having an avie for a period of time or something).

Signature pictures are a big no for me. One of the reasons I really dislike other forums is because of the huge images that keep repeating over and over at the bottom of every post. Especially if the post is only one line long. That just annoys me to no end. I think we should keep TRF nice a streamlined. No sig pics please.

trXD
29-05-09, 01:18
I don't see what would be so bad about picture signatures, they are very common and if some people feel they clutter up or whatever there should be an option to turn them off.

MattTR
29-05-09, 01:19
More forums for sure..like

- Music/Bands

- Movies/TV

- Actors/Celebrity

- World News

And something like that, would be more organized as well. :)

:}hello friend
29-05-09, 01:25
When you are posting in a thread and someone else beats you to it gets on my nerves...

Maybe a device that tells you someone is already posting in this thread and to wait until the person is finished...

Mr.Burns
29-05-09, 01:45
When you are posting in a thread and someone else beats you to it gets on my nerves...

Maybe a device that tells you someone is already posting in this thread and to wait until the person is finished...

Who's Online (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/online.php).

It's near the bottom of the main index.

larafan25
29-05-09, 01:49
I think the forum is nice the way it is......

maybe change all the blue hues to pink of something like green,for an interesting change...

but don't change the interface...it is very user friendly and fast:)

:}hello friend
29-05-09, 01:57
Who's Online (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/online.php).

It's near the bottom of the main index.

Oh wow... thank you.... I did'nt notice :D

violentblossom
29-05-09, 02:20
I'd like to see more people who can follow the rules... we seem to have an abundance of people who break them, get corrected, and then open annoying, pointless ***** threads, but that hasn't anything to do with the forum.

I might also like a system that Quasi has mentioned.. something where a member can be rated through stars by members.. the numbers can be averaged out, and there you go.. member scores.

Elessar87
29-05-09, 02:25
^Oh, I am not a fan of member ratings. Seems like purely a popularity thing. It doesn't add anything to the forums. Just makes it more obvious who's popular and who's not and makes the people who aren't feel bad. Not a good idea, IMO.

I don't see what would be so bad about picture signatures, they are very common and if some people feel they clutter up or whatever there should be an option to turn them off.

As long as there's an option to turn them off I'm fine. I just don't want to see them since I do think they clutter up the forum.

larafan25
29-05-09, 02:28
this forum has got it easy for spamtastic attacks from random people I have been on numerous forums where everything is just nuts....:)

Quasimodo
29-05-09, 02:29
I'd like to see more people who can follow the rules... we seem to have an abundance of people who break them, get corrected, and then open annoying, pointless ***** threads, but that hasn't anything to do with the forum.

I might also like a system that Quasi has mentioned.. something where a member can be rated through stars by members*.. the numbers can be averaged out, and there you go.. member scores.

*members can be rated by moderators

TRhalloween
29-05-09, 02:33
*members can be rated by moderators

Why would they do that? I don't see what good could come from it.

larafan25
29-05-09, 02:34
^what do yuo guys mean by rated?

I don't like the idea of that at all:O

violentblossom
29-05-09, 02:38
^what do yuo guys mean by rated?

I don't like the idea of that at all:O

rated by quality of posts... not by personality and such, though, i'm sure, some of that might occur, but i think it could be could incentive for people to post more than just "lol" or smilies.

edit*, and you're right, Quasi, mods should be the ones to be able to do it.

larafan25
29-05-09, 02:47
well,what would happen if they had a sucky rate?:)

continuesly?

TRhalloween
29-05-09, 02:47
rated by quality of posts... not by personality and such, though, i'm sure, some of that might occur, but i think it could be could incentive for people to post more than just "lol" or smilies.

edit*, and you're right, Quasi, mods should be the ones to be able to do it.

That sounds pretty mean and unnecessary.
Not what you said lol I meant the idea.

violentblossom
29-05-09, 02:49
That sounds pretty mean and unnecessary.
Not what you said lol I meant the idea.

Yeah, i think its something that can be abused definately, but i don't think that the mods we have here would abuse it.

larafan25
29-05-09, 02:53
what I'm wondering is

what would be the point?just to do it...or would there eventually be a penalty for a series of spamish posts(depending on the degree of spamage)

TRhalloween
29-05-09, 02:53
Yeah, i think its something that can be abused definately, but i don't think that the mods we have here would abuse it.

What id someone got 1 or 2 stars? Even if the mod was being honest I think it would be quite unfair. The person would feel pretty flattered.

larafan25
29-05-09, 03:00
would the stars be like(video rating stars) on our little avatar post square thing(information)

Cochrane
29-05-09, 05:48

I'm not certain the mods would use it at all to begin with. It's quite a lot of work you are asking them to do, for little obvious benefit.

What could work is an automated rating system for posts. As an example, longer posts would be rated higher than shorters, and there'd be severe penalties for use of expressions like "teh", "ur" and thread titles containing the words "a fun game". :D

Quasimodo
29-05-09, 06:02
I feel like something needs to be done about the brain-drain in GC. Maybe a star rating system would help push that, I don't know.

At the time of this post, the makeup of GC's first page is:
Games: 6
Celebs: 4
General rah-rah, either better suited to OC or doomed to be closed(if they aren't already): 6
GC staples (what are you listening to, avvies, member pics): 3
Slightly more serious discussion: 2

Cochrane
29-05-09, 06:09
Well, the idea of a more serious politics/religion/elitist snobs-section could conceivably help to solve the same problem, without trying to rank members. There are a number of people who can write interesting things in serious threads but also like to participate in more chatty sections of the forum, and I think any rating system might punish them unreasonably.

Quasimodo
29-05-09, 06:12
Well, the idea of a more serious politics/religion/elitist snobs-section could conceivably help to solve the same problem

This appears to be the simplest and best solution:)

Ward Dragon
29-05-09, 06:13
Well, the idea of a more serious politics/religion/elitist snobs-section could conceivably help to solve the same problem, without trying to rank members. There are a number of people who can write interesting things in serious threads but also like to participate in more chatty sections of the forum, and I think any rating system might punish them unreasonably.

Definitely. I do not like the idea of a ratings system at all. However I like the idea of a separate section dedicated to more serious discussion-driven topics. I love those sorts of topics but they often get quickly buried in GC so I think a separate section would help. Actually I think that was supposed to be the purpose of the mature section in the first place, but people tend to post mostly in the general section anyway where more people can see it.

Quasimodo
29-05-09, 06:16
I always saw MGC as more of the 'let your hair down' section for adults:p

Not all over-18's have signed up for MGC access, and there's some smart folks here under 18 able to contribute constructively to topics in a section for serious discussions. I think another forum section would be ideal.

Ward Dragon
29-05-09, 06:20
I always saw MGC as more of the 'let your hair down' section for adults:p

Not all over-18's have signed up for MGC access, and there's some smart folks here under 18 able to contribute constructively to topics in a section for serious discussions. I think another forum section would be ideal.

Well yes, that's what I was trying to get at :p I kind of thought that MGC was supposed to be a good place for discussion topics where they wouldn't get buried under game and celebrity threads. However, it seems most people (including me) have posted our discussion topics in GC anyway so as not to exclude the smart people without MGC access. So I think a separate section within GC would be great.

AmericanAssassin
29-05-09, 06:21
Picture signatures SUCK and make pages load slow. I never want those. Although, I do think the forums need a new look and color scheme...

Mokono
29-05-09, 06:43
more emoticons

You can insert any emoticon u want with the Insert Image option.

I like this Standard V-Bulletin style, but it would be cool to have a nice Lara background.

pics to our sigs

What would be the point? Like two avatars? However, emoticons in the sign might be a nice addon.

writing more on our sigs

Maybe, i don't use mine anyway.

I like this idea. With a nice structured requeriments for the Pic upload, there would not be necessary a whole thread for avatar making. Also, many forums has a them and it works perfectly. Even though, the requirements for size and KBs should be maintained.

i cant think of any more

Me neither, those two i liked might be a fresh change and a nicer appeal to TRF.

patriots88888
29-05-09, 11:14
I don't have a problem with more serious topics and discussions. I participate in them as well from time to time. What I don't like and disagree strongly with is the attitude I see from some of putting down others for their likings. That is why I fashioned my reply in the manner in which I did.

Most members here work throughout the day, either in the workplace (job) or the educational variety and might just wish to kick back and have a more lighthearted time while on TRF. The game threads and the celebrity threads might very well be that oasis they seek after an otherwise long, dry day.

scoopy_loopy
29-05-09, 11:30

It takes you to the post you last viewed, which is basically the same thing. Continuing from where you last read.

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 12:45
What about breaking down General Chat into sub forums:

Daily Fun --game threads, RP, "right now?" threads, jokes/vids

Movies/TV/Books--do I really need to describe this?

Current Events--News and ideas that impact our world

I also sort of jumped off the sig pic fence. I think the point of it slowing down the forum is well-taken. Add that to the very valid point of them making the forum harder to read, and I think it's a deal breaker, ladies (and gents.:):D

And I say this knowing I could be looking at this every time I post:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/takeshi/takeshi_colorbar.gif

Huge sacrifice on my part, let me tell you. :p

Explorer
29-05-09, 19:49
Not all over-18's have signed up for MGC access

I'm one of those individuals who hasn't ...

I kind of thought that MGC was supposed to be a good place for discussion topics where they wouldn't get buried under game and celebrity threads. However, it seems most people (including me) have posted our discussion topics in GC anyway so as not to exclude the smart people without MGC access. So I think a separate section within GC would be great.

Are you saying only the ignoramuses view and post in the game and celebrity threads Missy? :p

I can tell you, its not always that simple coming up with an answer in some game threads :pi: ;)

Ward Dragon
30-05-09, 08:02
Are you saying only the ignoramuses view and post in the game and celebrity threads Missy? :p

I can tell you, its not always that simple coming up with an answer in some game threads :pi: ;)

No :p I'm saying that those threads are more popular so they tend to quickly push the discussion topics further down the page.

jamieoliver22
30-05-09, 08:55
Let us upload bigger avatars... I've got a ton of animated avatars that I use on other forums but can't use on here.

All animated avatars should be banned (apart from the subtlety animated ones) as they are annoying and distracting when you are trying to read posts. I often feel inclined to skip reading people's posts when they have such avatars.

Explorer
30-05-09, 14:20
No :p I'm saying that those threads are more popular so they tend to quickly push the discussion topics further down the page.

You don't get off the hook that easily, you clearly referred to the smart people :p Seriously though I know what you mean ;) I wouldn't mind a section like that myself, as I said, I'm one of those individuals who hasn't signed up for MGC access :) On another note:

I don't have a problem with more serious topics and discussions. I participate in them as well from time to time. What I don't like and disagree strongly with is the attitude I see from some of putting down others for their likings. That is why I fashioned my reply in the manner in which I did.

Most members here work throughout the day, either in the workplace (job) or the educational variety and might just wish to kick back and have a more lighthearted time while on TRF. The game threads and the celebrity threads might very well be that oasis they seek after an otherwise long, dry day.

I agree with what Todd says here, I know I like to kick off my shoes and put my feet up so to speak when visiting TRF. I know at least one member who has distanced themselves from the forum because of how heated things became in religious, political and other serious discussion threads. I'm also aware of two members who had a falling out, so sometimes peeps just don't want to get into those discussions for fear of such happenings ...

Encore
30-05-09, 17:58
All animated avatars should be banned (apart from the subtlety animated ones) as they are annoying and distracting when you are trying to read posts. I often feel inclined to skip reading people's posts when they have such avatars.

Yeah... I used to like them until I realized how obnoxious it gets to see the same animation over and over and over and over and over and over again... Like you say, some animations are quite subtle and they look great, like sparkle effects or things like that; for instance I use this banner (http://shadowzone.com.sapo.pt/muvies/2863040927_900e29693d_o.gif) in a forum signature because it's very smooth. But most of the time people wouldn't stick to subtle things...

viper456
30-05-09, 18:05

bring it :pi:

Endow
30-05-09, 18:06

viper456
30-05-09, 18:07
I don't believe in banning ugly people from real life so I think everyone should be able to wear whatever ugly avatar they chose to have alongside their posts :P

WHATS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?! :vlol: lmfaoooo :p

Natey168
30-05-09, 18:10
WHATS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?! :vlol: lmfaoooo :p
Your avatar makes me giggle like a small child. Hee heeeeee *claps*

larson n natla
30-05-09, 18:11
This forum needs more of me :whi:

Ward Dragon
30-05-09, 18:12
You don't get off the hook that easily, you clearly referred to the smart people :p Seriously though I know what you mean ;) I wouldn't mind a section like that myself, as I said, I'm one of those individuals who hasn't signed up for MGC access :) On another note:

I agree with what Todd says here, I know I like to kick off my shoes and put my feet up so to speak when visiting TRF. I know at least one member who has distanced themselves from the forum because of how heated things became in religious, political and other serious discussion threads. I'm also aware of two members who had a falling out, so sometimes peeps just don't want to get into those discussions for fear of such happenings ...

Fair enough. Things do sometimes get quite heated. I'm sorry to hear that some people were adversely affected by discussion threads. I tend to view such threads impersonally and focus on the ideas that are stated rather than the people stating them, so I guess I kind of assumed everyone viewed it that way :o

I don't believe in banning ugly people from real life so I think everyone should be able to wear whatever ugly avatar they chose to have alongside their posts :P

Always the diplomat... :vlol: :D

adventurerLara
30-05-09, 18:13
Subtle as in my avatar?:)

Explorer
30-05-09, 19:27
Fair enough. Things do sometimes get quite heated. I'm sorry to hear that some people were adversely affected by discussion threads. I tend to view such threads impersonally and focus on the ideas that are stated rather than the people stating them, so I guess I kind of assumed everyone viewed it that way :o

I too had been under the impression that members generally viewed such threads impersonally, that's certainly a very good thing if you have that perspective. :)

Of course as most of us know there are plenty of places on the net where things can get very personal. I guess unfortunately TRF is not really an exception to this. I wanted to mention it though, because perhaps other members here don't realize these types of things go on.

Anyway I have to wonder whether any of the things suggested in this thread will be implemented?

Reggie
30-05-09, 19:51

That's what I thought until I realised that things do sometimes get personal and people's agendas for entering a debate may not always be with the best intentions. I've seen some real bad arguments some of which I've gotten involved in but with those who have argued with - even on a slightly personal level, there's never been any bad feeling in the end. Despite that, its made me more wary of where my views are going and exactly how much of that convey should I choose to. Another thing I tend to avoid now is Core vs. Crystal arguments. I've said my bit and now I just want to see where TR goes from here. These days, I prefer focussing on friends and constructive topics more than anything else. :)

sandygrimm
30-05-09, 20:26
Sure it does.. The game changed, the forum look should too.. at least

Ada the Mental
30-05-09, 22:27
I was wondering whether we could have a pulldown/spoiler feature like this:
http://i41.************/28mft5z.jpg
Does this version of vbulletin support it?

It'd keep spoilers out of the way and it could also be handy in decluttering the place (especially threads like the members pics or the desktop ones) from enormous images.

I mean, putting spoilers in white is good enough, but it would backfire if there were different forum skins. Like that black Halloween one. :p

Mokono
31-05-09, 00:13
I'd like nice scrollbars for huge pictures, like the ones Wikipedia has for the 360 pics...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7655/59959509.jpg