PDA

View Full Version : Canada official eats seal heart

DragonSlayer
28-05-09, 11:35
Canada’s governor general, Michaelle Jean, has helped to butcher and eat a seal in an apparent show of solidarity with hunters.

Ms Jean used a traditional Inuit knife to help gut the animal then ate a slice of raw heart.

It came weeks after the EU voted to ban Canadian seal products, but Ms Jean did not say if her actions were in response to the EU proposals.

An EU spokeswoman said the story was "too bizarre to acknowledge"

source http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8069249.stm

:eek:

I wonder if this official would eat a human heart if it was put on a plate in front of here, there is no justification under any circumstances for the slaughter of a seal or any animal for that matter.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 11:40
*Slaps you ten times over till you drop on the floor.* Typical Vegan.

You do know that the seal hunt has been the innuit way of life since... Forever? Its only the blatent ignorance of the EU in banning Seal products from Canada that's the problem. Given the fact that the rest of the world (and even some European countries) don't give a hoot about the EU's ludicrious plan since it has little or no grounds to assert the ban (typical benchwarmers.)

a) The Seal hunt is ALWAYS well regulated and is followed upon government quota. Only a set number of seals are ever hunted.

b) Apart from poaching, only adult seals are the ones who are hunted for their meat and fur.

c) You are most likely to find more cruel practices in a slaughter house then on a seal hunt.

TR love
28-05-09, 11:42
When i read this thread title i didnt think you meant it LITERALLY!

i dont get the seal business! HELLO? CANADA? TRY SKINNING YOURSELF ALIVE! SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT!

thats so horrible and...terrible....

Wana b like Lara
28-05-09, 11:42
That is disgusting! :(

Goose
28-05-09, 11:43
If seals looked like this would you be bothered?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/398032677_dfab408834.jpg

Its a way of life for some, although i dont agree with it.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 11:44
i dont get the seal business!

Then you probably don't get good honest men who make a good living off of a seal hunt which in no different then cattle hearding and meat processing for supermarkets. The only difference being that unlike caged cattle, the seals are allowed to roam free.

TR love
28-05-09, 11:48
Well sor-ry.

I still think its gross and horrible and cruel. No one can change the way i feel about it.

and it can be MORE cruel than usual cattle hearding ect.

they drag seals across the snow, alive
they skin them...alive
they take there fur and dump the bodies, when they are white and fluffy and young.

also....good honest men? are you KIDDING ME!??

*ok im vented*

Catapharact
28-05-09, 11:51
... And here we have another victim of the PETA extremsit propaganda (Pamela Anderson needs to actually get a bigger brain in exchange for her breasts.) I think I am one of few who thinks that PETA members need to be rounded up and given a taste of reality of society... You know, give them REAL jobs for a change.

Goose
28-05-09, 11:52
Well sor-ry.

I still think its gross and horrible and cruel. No one can change the way i feel about it.

and it can be MORE cruel than usual cattle hearding ect.

they drag seals across the snow, alive
they skin them...alive
they take there fur and dump the bodies, when they are white and fluffy and young.

also....good honest men? are you KIDDING ME!??

*ok im vented*

Not likely is it, ever tried dragging an animal that has more muscle then you across snow, whilst its alive and kicking?

Mad Tony
28-05-09, 11:56
Good on her :tmb: I honestly don't see anything wrong with the Canadians hunting seal.

TR love
28-05-09, 12:17
Not likely is it, ever tried dragging an animal that has more muscle then you across snow, whilst its alive and kicking?

I meant to say with hooks. i swear thats what they do, iv seen pictures in an email and my friend did a project on it. They do!

TRhalloween
28-05-09, 12:43
This is just inhumane.

scion05
28-05-09, 12:48
Well aslong as they're eating it, I don't see why not :)

Mad Tony
28-05-09, 12:49
This is just inhumane.How is it any more inhumane than eating a fish? As Scion said, she ate it. What's the problem with that?

TR love
28-05-09, 12:51
well this thread is officially tuned out of my brain, everything i read here makes me wanna scream and slap people.

TRhalloween
28-05-09, 12:52
How is it any more inhumane than eating a fish? As Scion said, she ate it. What's the problem with that?

I'm not going to explain how I feel about this since I'm going to be pounced on or called deluded.

Mad Tony
28-05-09, 13:07
I'm not going to explain how I feel about this since I'm going to be pounced on or called deluded.I seriously doubt that. Everybody here is respectful of other people's opinions. What's the point in expressing your opinion on something but not explaining why?

disneyprincess20
28-05-09, 13:19
I think I am one of few who thinks that PETA members need to be rounded up and given a taste of reality of society... You know, give them REAL jobs for a change.

..and I'm another one of them.

Things like this are traditional ways of life for some cultures; rites of passage that have been passed down for generations and are a cornerstone for that society. Personally, I don't see any difference between this and other traditional ways of life, like basket weaving or eating a turkey at Christmas (Thanksgiving for the Americans). It's part of their culture, I have no right to judge it but I know they should be allowed to do it, as long as it isn't done to excess, which if Cat's post is right the Inuits are doing. The minister was merely demonstrating her willingness to interact with the Inuit culture.

Punaxe
28-05-09, 13:24
*Slaps you ten times over till you drop on the floor.* Typical Vegan.

You do know that the seal hunt has been the innuit way of life since... Forever? Its only the blatent ignorance of the EU in banning Seal products from Canada that's the problem. Given the fact that the rest of the world (and even some European countries) don't give a hoot about the EU's ludicrious plan since it has little or no grounds to assert the ban (typical benchwarmers.)

a) The Seal hunt is ALWAYS well regulated and is followed upon government quota. Only a set number of seals are ever hunted.

b) Apart from poaching, only adult seals are the ones who are hunted for their meat and fur.

c) You are most likely to find more cruel practices in a slaughter house then on a seal hunt.

I'm not sure if you are correctly informed. The EU proposes (http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/expert/infopress_page/063-54953-124-05-19-911-20090504IPR54952-04-05-2009-2009-true/default_en.htm) to disallow all seal products on the EU markets, with the exception of those produced as a result of Inuit hunting and non-profit environmental management.

P.S.: screw PETA.

TRhalloween
28-05-09, 13:30
I seriously doubt that. Everybody here is respectful of other people's opinions. What's the point in expressing your opinion on something but not explaining why?

Well, I don't agree with killing animals unless it's under certain circumstances. Though I support the fact that people eat meat since it is necessary.

IceColdLaraCroft
28-05-09, 13:31
It's part of the nunavut culture in Canada. As a canadian official she needs to show she supports her people regardless of their culture and practices. It'd be like Obama doing something native american. People are freaking out because it's a seal.

it isn't like she gutted it alive and ate out it's still beating heart as a show of "i'm the true leader of canada! Don't *beep* with me!" :vlol:

]{eith
28-05-09, 13:33
it isn't like she gutted it alive and ate out it's still beating heart as a show of "i'm the true leader of canada! Don't *beep* with me!" :vlol:

:vlol:

That would be kinda cool.....:whi:

I'm kidding! <.< >.>

*replace the seal with Celine Dion and I'm all for it.*

Phys
28-05-09, 13:33
well this thread is officially tuned out of my brain, everything i read here makes me wanna scream and slap people.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

My own opinion is that I see nothing wrong with it. People eat fish don't they? I think of it that way.

scion05
28-05-09, 13:34
How is it any more inhumane than eating a fish? As Scion said, she ate it. What's the problem with that?

Wow. A new day has come... :D

voltz
28-05-09, 13:59
Hunting and eating your kill has always been with nature ever since life was first created. We don't need to start a PETA-style debate with this.

Saphyre
28-05-09, 14:02
If seals looked like this would you be bothered?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/398032677_dfab408834.jpg

Its a way of life for some, although i dont agree with it.

that makes me want to cry with fear :vlol:

larson n natla
28-05-09, 14:27
Then you probably don't get good honest men who make a good living off of a seal hunt which in no different then cattle hearding and meat processing for supermarkets. The only difference being that unlike caged cattle, the seals are allowed to roam free.

Cattle arnt endangered ...... :whi:

TTV
28-05-09, 14:37
Just because something's not endangered, does not mean it doesn't have feelings...

Poor seal. :(

Dennis's Mom
28-05-09, 14:37
I don't think seals are either.

It's really easy for folks who sit in their living rooms with five stores down the street providing all they need to second guess subsistence societies. I lived in Alaska for five years, and it's amazing how the native population adapted to live in that environment. :tmb:

Mad Tony
28-05-09, 14:39
Just because something's not endangered, does not mean it doesn't have feelings...

Poor seal. :(I'm gonna ask this question again. How is it any different from eating a fish?

Reggie
28-05-09, 14:40
I think support strict controls over the numbers hunted but apart from that, my reaction to this topic was 'so what?'. I mean is it really that immoral to eat Seal Heart? why? any logical reason?

Catapharact
28-05-09, 14:41
with the exception of those produced as a result of Inuit hunting and non-profit environmental management.

P.S.: screw PETA.

MUCH better. The EU should actually make an innitiative to ban only POACHED products. Anything that's legally hunted under quota isn't harming the Seal population as a whole. IMO more innitative should be placed upon patrolling rather then banning products.

Cattle arnt endangered ...... :whi:

Did you not read my previous post? Didn't I clearly say that the hunt is well regulated under quota? Only a SET number of seals are hunted; All sanctioned by the WWF and the local preservation authorities. Overall, it doesn't harms the population.

]{eith
28-05-09, 14:41
I'm gonna ask this question again. How is it any different from eating a fish?

Cause they're cute. :p

scoopy_loopy
28-05-09, 14:43
Oh get over it. Its only a seal :p

No matter how cute it is, I dont think she should be flamed for it.

(I mean, we eat kangaroo's and emu's here... they're even on our coat of arms for Gods sake :tea:)

TTV
28-05-09, 15:10
I'm gonna ask this question again. How is it any different from eating a fish?

Not very. Poor fish. :( ;)

larson n natla
28-05-09, 15:15
MUCH better. The EU should actually make an innitiative to ban only POACHED products. Anything that's legally hunted under quota isn't harming the Seal population as a whole. IMO more innitative should be placed upon patrolling rather then banning products.

Did you not read my previous post? Didn't I clearly say that the hunt is well regulated under quota? Only a SET number of seals are hunted; All sanctioned by the WWF and the local preservation authorities. Overall, it doesn't harms the population.

I did infact read your post but I dont think only a "set" number of seals are hunted by all of the poachers out there who take away a population already dwindling away because of "regulated hunting." I can see you point of view catapharact and I can completely appreciate that but what Im saying is that in my point of view there should be no hunting at all of an endangered species :)

Mad Tony
28-05-09, 15:18
Not very. Poor fish. :( ;)So what's wrong with eating fish?

Catapharact
28-05-09, 15:20
I did infact read your post but I dont think only a "set" number of seals are hunted by all of the poachers out there who take away a population already dwindling away because of "regulated hunting." I can see you point of view catapharact and I can completely appreciate that but what Im saying is that in my point of view there should be no hunting at all of an endangered species :)

You are blaming a legitimate hunt for a perfectly preserved seal population UNDER quota on the actions of illegal poachers. Why not be the responsible person and blame the poachers and pressure governments to take affirmative actions against them instead of blaming the lively hood of a proud nation who only want to support themselves (and have every right to.)

TTV
28-05-09, 15:29
So what's wrong with eating fish?

Fishes have feelings too...

*Cough* And most taste yucky. *cough*

Mad Tony
28-05-09, 15:30

*Cough* And most taste yucky. *cough*So what do you suggest we should do? All go vegetarian so that the fish can all live?

Atlantisfreak666
28-05-09, 15:32
That's hawt.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 15:37

So do plants. They are living things as well. Might as well give up on those and starve ourselves right?

Dennis's Mom
28-05-09, 15:39

Clearly you have never had good sushi or sashimi. :D

Lara's home
28-05-09, 15:41
So do plants. They are living things as well. Might as well give up on those and starve ourselves right?

Plants do not feel.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 15:43
Plants do not feel.

They are living things are they not? Now since we are all about preserving the "sanctity of life," we shouldn't hurt them as well non? Or for that matter microbes... Oh those poor little single cell being. You shouldn't sit! You might squash a bug accidently today. How dare you do such an inhumane thing!

disneyprincess20
28-05-09, 15:45
Plants do not feel.

Got any proof that they don't? There is some research to suggest that plants can react to stress (http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=744a6497-b9ab-4a15-975a-ab35dc29169e&k=38368).

Lara's home
28-05-09, 15:46
They are living things are they not? Now since we are all about preserving the "sanctity of life," we shouldn't hurt them as well non? Or for that matter microbes... Oh those poor little single cell being. You shouldn't sit! You might squash a bug accidently today. How dare you do such an inhumane thing!

Oh sorry, didn't catch your sarcasm. :p

TRhalloween
28-05-09, 15:49

Plants don't have nerve systems, nor do they have brains.
They react to sunlight, water etc. but like I said those are reactions.
Though I wouldn't recommend killing plants just for the Hell of it.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 15:52
Plants don't have nerve systems, nor do they have brains.
They react to sunlight, water etc. but like I said those are reactions.
Though I wouldn't recommend killing plants just for the Hell of it.

Look at the link disneyprincess provided. Plants infact do have a sense of inflicted damage brought upon them. Under stressful conditions, they do start to show signs of weakness and trauma.

Lara's home
28-05-09, 15:56
Look at the link disneyprincess provided. Plants infact do have a sense of inflicted damage brought upon them. Under stressful conditions, they do start to show signs of weakness and trauma.

You wouldn't need a brain or a nerve-system for a reaction to happen though. No matter what it is, it's a reaction. Everything that lives do things to protect themselves and theirs.

Punaxe
28-05-09, 15:57
The article disneyprincess20 linked to does not tell us anything about a consciousness or way of feeling, it merely described a chemical reaction.

I remember reading that lobsters do not feel pain when cooked alive, since they simply do not possess enough/the right nervous cells for this.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 15:59
You wouldn't need a brain or a nerve-system for a reaction to happen though. No matter what it is, it's a reaction. Everything that lives do things to protect themselves and theirs.

And therefore are you trying to discriminate between seals and other living things ;)? If by chance you don't support the hunt based on the fact that animals are being slaughtered then IMO you should really stand up for your cause on behalf of ALL living things and stop eating anything nutritious all togather.

Joely-Moley
28-05-09, 16:01
... And here we have another victim of the PETA extremsit propaganda (Pamela Anderson needs to actually get a bigger brain in exchange for her breasts.) I think I am one of few who thinks that PETA members need to be rounded up and given a taste of reality of society... You know, give them REAL jobs for a change.

I would like to point out, that I'm a vegetarian and hate peta. We're not all crazy nut jobs that like to throw paint at people.

Draco
28-05-09, 16:03
Canada’s governor general, Michaelle Jean, has helped to butcher and eat a seal in an apparent show of solidarity with hunters.

Ms Jean used a traditional Inuit knife to help gut the animal then ate a slice of raw heart.

It came weeks after the EU voted to ban Canadian seal products, but Ms Jean did not say if her actions were in response to the EU proposals.

I wonder if this official would eat a human heart if it was put on a plate in front of here, there is no justification under any circumstances for the slaughter of a seal or any animal for that matter.

Your forum name is contrary to your post.

Lara's home
28-05-09, 16:05
And therefore are you trying to discriminate between seals and other living things ;)? If by chance you don't support the hunt based on the fact that animals are being slaughtered then IMO you should really stand up for your cause on behalf of ALL living things and stop eating anything nutritious all togather.

You think that it's as good to kill an animal who will feel pain than to kill a plant, that wont?
I am against hunting for sport, killing the victim in a inhumane way (saw how someone in Norway killed some seals; Awful. They would leave the seals to deag themselves around in the snow, heavely injured and bleeding all over the place).
I am not against hunting for food/survival. Thats nature. But I will be one of those morons who will say with power, comes responsibility. Since we are actually aware of our actions, I think we should at least kill the animals in a humane way, and make sure to not endanger any species. Plants, animals etc.

Draco
28-05-09, 16:06
Plants do not feel.

Yes they do, and they are actually quite expressive as well.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 16:07
You think that it's as good to kill an animal who will feel pain than to kill a plant, that wont?
I am against hunting for sport, killing the victim in a inhumane way (saw how someone in Norway killed some seals; Awful. They would leave the seals to deag themselves around in the snow, heavely injured and bleeding all over the place).
I am not against hunting for food.

Do not compare the practices of licensed hunters who are out there making a living and feeding their families because of a sanctioned humane hunt on the actions of poachers. Would you like it if I started comparing your peaceful actions as a vegitarian with that of the lunitics at PETA?

Minty Mouth
28-05-09, 16:10

There is some really interesting stuff on this: Here for example, this is just a short excerpt of text.

In the 20th century, American scientist, Cleve Backster, justified the use of a lie detector test (polygraph) for use on plants stating that polygraphs measured electrical resistance and water had the ability to change electrical resistance in leaves. Backster recorded the polygraph readings of plants to be initially similar to that of humans subjected to a polygraph test. Subsequently, in one unplanned incident, Backster burnt a leaf of one plant which caused a peak in the tracing patterns of another plant that was connected to a polygraph. Backster claimed that this action somehow “inspired fear” in the other plant. Whilst being ridiculed by the scientific community, Backster continued to perform additional experiments still believing the notion of plants and trees being able to experience emotions.

More stuff like this can be found here: http://shiorisaito.com/SAI/?p=350

Lara's home
28-05-09, 16:11
No they don't. If you're going to say that they do, at least show me some links. They do not have a nerve-system, they do not have a brain. You will need that to feel pain, don't you?

Do not compare the practices of licensed hunters who are out there making a living and feeding their families because of a sanctioned humane hunt on the actions of poachers. Would you like it if I started comparing your peaceful actions as a vegitarian with that of the lunitics at PETA?

I don't compare them. I just said what I'm against. I haven't voiced my opinion in this thread about seal-hunting because I know too little of it. All I say is that I am against inhumane killing in general. Be it poachers or licensed hunters.

There is some really interesting stuff on this: Here for example, this is just a short excerpt of text.

More stuff like this can be found here: http://shiorisaito.com/SAI/?p=350

Do not see what that has to do with pain tbh. It looks like a reaction to me.

Minty Mouth
28-05-09, 16:13

At least read up on it a little more. Were only scratching the surface, as humans, when it comes to plants and if they have emotions etc.

Im sure there were people, thousands of years ago, who insisted that animals didnt have feelings too, but they were just ignorant to the truth. As we are now when it comes to plants.

Draco
28-05-09, 16:14
No they don't. If you're going to say that they do, at least show me some links. They do not have a nerve-system, they do not have a brain. You will need that to feel pain, don't you?

Do you eat hamburgers or any meat?

Lara's home
28-05-09, 16:16
Do you eat hamburgers or any meat?

Yes I do.
At least read up on it a little more. Were only scratching the surface, as humans, when it comes to plants and if they have emotions etc.

Im sure there were people, thousands of years ago, who insisted that animals didnt have feelings too, but they were just ignorant to the truth. As we are now when it comes to plants.

There were alot of people who insisted that animals could not feel. I could be wrong, but I just doubt it. I don't see how or even why a plant would have feelings.

Spong
28-05-09, 16:17
Plants are chemical reactions, nothing more. They're most certainly not alive and they don't feel emotion. Anyone who thinks they are should be secluded from society.

As for the seal thing, who cares? There's wars and famine and child abuse going on in the world. We've got bigger fish to fry (lol) than some woman battering to death a stupid seal.

Draco
28-05-09, 16:17
Yes I do.

So as long as you are sure the living thing did not feel pain, you are okay with eating it?

Plants are chemical reactions, nothing more. They're most certainly not alive and they don't feel emotion. Anyone who thinks they are should be secluded from society.

What do you think a human is?

And what is with the plants aren't alive thing?

Lara's home
28-05-09, 16:19
So as long as you are sure the living thing did not feel pain, you are okay with eating it?

Why shouldn't I be? Survival for the fittest.

Punaxe
28-05-09, 16:19

From the same article:

Several years later, Horowitz et al. (1975) published an article in the peer-reviewed journal, Science, as a follow-up of Backster’s earlier work involving brine-shrimp and plants. (...) The results of their experiment revealed no such evidence of perception in plants (3).

(...) (3) Horowitz KA, Lewis DC and Gasteiger EL (1975). Plant “Primary Perception”: Electrophysiological Unresponsiveness to Brine Shrimp Killing. Science 189: 478-480

I don't think the statement currently holds any ground.

Minty Mouth
28-05-09, 16:20

As for the seal thing, who cares? There's wars and famine and child abuse going on in the world. We've got bigger fish to fry (lol) than some woman battering to death a stupid seal.

You do realise that chemical reactions make everything, right? Your DNA is just proteins, which have to be created through chemical reactions, all your emotions are created by chemicals whizzing around in your brain...

Punaxe: Im not commenting on the reliability of that info, just throwing stuff in to the mix. however I do believe plants are more ailve then we know.

Draco

I certainly don't disagree, I'm just trying to figure your position out.

Catapharact

LMAO! You just contradicted your given post right off ;). If you are gonna play this whole thing by Darwinian rules then according to him, humans should be the only species fit to do whatever it wants over everything else since its the most capable of surviving.

Ergo, you just supported what poachers do ;).

Lara's home
28-05-09, 16:22
LMAO! You just contradicted your given post right off ;). If you are gonna play this whole thing by Darwinian rules then according to him, humans should be the only species fit to do whatever it wants over everything else since its the most capable of surviving.

Ergo, you just supported what poachers do ;).

What? What I just said is that I don't mind eating animals as long as they weren't in pain before they died. I don't see how that contradicts anything I've said.

Catapharact
28-05-09, 16:24
What? What I just said is that I don't mind eating animals as long as they weren't in pain before they died. I don't see how that contradicts anything I've said.

So you have no problem with a given species being wiped out completely ;). I have to say your stance on the given situation is flakey at best.

EgyptianSoul
28-05-09, 16:29
There's nothing wrong with killing animals for food when it's controlled properly. We have to eat.

I used to be a bleeding heart when I was younger, wishing I could save all the animals and all that. But I've come to accept the facts of life as I grew up.

Some animals have to die for our nourishment. So what.

Lara's home
28-05-09, 16:29
So you have no problem with a given species being wiped out completely ;). I have to say your stance on the given situation is flakey at best.
Where did I say that I had no problem with species being wiped out? :confused:

Catapharact
28-05-09, 16:31
Where did I say that I had no problem with species being wiped out? :confused:

Ok, are you familiar with the concept of survival of the fittest? Under that given idea, humans have every right to hunt anything to extinction that does not contribute productively to their given eco-system. Using the "survival of the fittest" argument, you are giving the green light to all poachers to hunt animals to extinction.

Do you get me now?

Lara's home
28-05-09, 16:39
Yes, and I regret using "Survival for the fittest".
What I ment was that I see nothing wrong with eating animals. We are a dominant species, and should not stop eating the others. It's only natural.
I never ment it as extreme as in wiping out an entire species. Having a sustainable amount of species in something I think is very important.

Encore
28-05-09, 17:52

Quite a good metaphor for the barbarity that goes on in that country every year...

Dennis's Mom
28-05-09, 18:10
Pity we can't all live in big cities and have our food brought to us.

I never ment it as extreme as in wiping out an entire species.

I don't think anyone but someone looking to pick a fight would have interpreted it that way. ;) Survival of the fittest doesn't have anything to do with predation, it has to do with the ability to adapt to survive.

Most hunters are conservationists and advocate for responsible wildlife management.

Lee croft
28-05-09, 18:18
fish are friends not food!!!!

SamReeves
28-05-09, 18:29
Edgar Hansen chomped a live cod fish heart on Deadliest Catch. Oh the horror! :D

Smog
28-05-09, 20:47

*Wonders what seal tastes like*

Lemmie
28-05-09, 21:17

*Wonders what seal tastes like*

I always thought it would taste quite creamy, what with the blubber and everything. Probably quite a juicy meat.

I couldn't comment on the heart though.

Qualopek
28-05-09, 21:57
Well, I don't fancy eating anything's heart (I'd imagine it'd be quite icky :p but I'm not fond of eating internal organs) but if it is part of Inuit and Nunavut culture, I embrace that they're keeping alive the traditions of their ancestors. I like animals, sure, and I wouldn't kill an animal myself not counting any annoying insects, but I eat meat nearly everyday. I'm not going to abstain from eating meat because of anyone's feelings, it's nutritionally sound and even though hamburgers and hot dogs aren't the healthiest things on the planet, I still like to eat them. I've known people that have gone vegan/vegetarian and had some medical complications because they're not eating any meat.

The Inuit seal hunts don't harm me in any direct way, and if it's tradition for them I say they should go do it. :)

toxicraider
28-05-09, 22:00
I couldn't eat a raw heart, they're really stringy and mushy, but it probably tastes quite rich.

Squibbly
29-05-09, 00:04
I don't agree with the annual seal hunt thing, but there are strict rules for it. The seals can only be killed for food and other things (like clothes I think), and that's all. They've eaten these kinds of things for a LONG time.

And it's not like it's all of Canada that are seal murdering maniacs (someone's post sounded like they were implying that)... it's only way up in Northern Canada by the Inuits where this takes place. I live in Canada and I've never seen a seal in real life, nor have I eaten one. :p

Bongo Fury
29-05-09, 00:04
Well, I don't fancy eating anything's heart (I'd imagine it'd be quite icky :p but I'm not fond of eating internal organs) but if it is part of Inuit and Nunavut culture, I embrace that they're keeping alive the traditions of their ancestors.

It's not just that.. it's a functional necessity – it's the arctic. They can't just decide to grow corn. People eat seal meat to survive. Personally I hope the GG doesn't back down at all over this eu nonsense because to be quite frank – the Inuit have a far higher reverence for animal life than Europeans have ever had.

IceColdLaraCroft
29-05-09, 00:21
For all of our perceived civilized culture we are animals and we are omnivors. This is a direct connection with where food comes from hunting, killing, eating. In a lot of ways it's much more humane than the way chickens, pigs, cattle, fish are farmed and killed.

This wouldn't be an issue for PETA anyway because it's a wild animal they do more domesitcated animals and even then they're not very good at it. They released a lobster into brackish water once and it died because that was the wrong environment.

Endow
29-05-09, 09:46

digitizedboy
29-05-09, 10:05
I wonder if this official would eat a human heart if it was put on a plate in front of her

Maybe if she was a zombie.

Nannonxyay
29-05-09, 10:24

Thank you so much. :tmb: It's nice to see another member who sees PETA for what they really are.

To be honest, although I personally wouldn't eat a seal...it's all in a matter of one's personal taste and opinion. Some Asian people eat cats and dogs, I'm not gonna tell them it's wrong because it's their choice. (Although the way they treat the animals and pick random strays off the streets is a bit disgusting.) But it's just like it's a vegetarian's choice not to eat meat and it's my choice to eat meat like cows, pigs etc.

I really have no problem with what people put into their digestive system, as long as the animal isn't endangered then it's fine with me. God. Someone could eat a human if they really wanted to. I've heard of people who offer themselves up as food to German chefs who like to eat human meat. It's all a matter of choice as far as I'm concerned.

XBOXCroft
29-05-09, 10:26
Couldn't the lady just eat something else other than a heart? Atleast the muscles will do.

remote91
29-05-09, 12:16
Christ, what an amazon.

Ward Dragon
29-05-09, 12:21
I don't see what the big deal is. The Inuits should definitely be allowed to continue their way of life and it's good that a Canadian official supports that.

If she did that, Canada would instantly rule the world :vlol:

Catapharact
29-05-09, 14:48
This just in; Miss Awesome isn't making any apologies about what she did:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/05/27/jean-hunt.html

Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean defended her eating of a seal heart during a community feast this week in Nunavut, saying it wasn't meant to be a political statement.

"I think a person in my position knows exactly what's in the air, and I'm aware of the context," she said in an interview Wednesday with The Canadian Press. "I'm aware that now if you eat seal or wear something made of sealskin... it says that you recognize this activity.

"But this activity is part of the way of life of thousands of people in our country. In the North, in the Arctic, in the East, also in coastal regions," Jean said.

Chalk one up for brains and hotness.

violentblossom
29-05-09, 14:50
Chalk one up for brains and hotness.

And seal heart breath. Hurrah.

Catapharact
29-05-09, 14:52
And seal heart breath. Hurrah.

Well I have a little joke for all PETA extremists, but I can't seem to remember how it goes...

A seal ran into a club...

Nah, that's not it.

Two seals went clubbing...

Nah... Still not quite right.

Ah well, its not like the PETA extremists would get the given joke anyway with Pamela as their spokesperson ;).

violentblossom
29-05-09, 14:55
I'm all for animal rights, but PETA can be downright embarrassing sometimes.

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 16:11
Yeah, they jump the shark quite frequently, don't they?

Which is another form of animal abuse, IMO. :D

Joely-Moley
29-05-09, 16:24
I'm all for animal rights, but PETA can be downright embarrassing sometimes.

I agree, PETA are a complete joke.

Love2Raid
29-05-09, 19:09

Yummy

Squibbly
29-05-09, 22:13
I don't understand why people are freaking out so much.

Far up north, the annual seal hunt was what kept the Inuit people from going hungry for the year. It's a tradition to stock up on food and use the fur for warmth and the like. It's not like they can just grow a bunch of vegetables and etc up there.

While I don't totally agree with the seal hunt now because these days resources are more available to the people who live up there, but it's not some murdering spree for fun.

Cows, pigs, chickens etc get slaughtered everyday and sometimes in far worse ways, but for some odd reason people just talk about the seal hunt.

There are FAR worse things going on in the world than this, guys.

Encore
29-05-09, 23:47
Well I have a little joke for all PETA extremists, but I can't seem to remember how it goes...

Nah, that's not it.

Ah well, its not like the PETA extremists would get the given joke anyway with Pamela as their spokesperson ;).

Why the **** must a person who is against animal cruelty be labelled PETA extremist? I don't even like PETA in the first place.

Your posts in this thread are borderline ridiculous, Cat, I'm sure if everyone was in FAVOUR of the heart eating lady you would stand up against them just because.

violentblossom
29-05-09, 23:51
Yeah, they jump the shark quite frequently, don't they?

Which is another form of animal abuse, IMO. :D

:vlol: right on. :p

TRhalloween
29-05-09, 23:57

Nah, that's not it.

Seal clubbing? That's pretty extreme.

Bongo Fury
30-05-09, 00:06

indeed. SALUTE!
actually i never really noticed that she was hot before, but it's all so clear now.

Lara Croft!
30-05-09, 10:07
And I was wondering whether the title was metaphorical or not...:D

Minty Mouth
30-05-09, 10:08

You think she should? :confused:

Catapharact
30-05-09, 12:24
Your posts in this thread are borderline ridiculous, Cat, I'm sure if everyone was in FAVOUR of the heart eating lady you would stand up against them just because.

Encore, you haven't seen my posts on similar topics now have you? PETA makes me itch and its no secret. Actually Mr. Black Flame and I got into a similar debate about the legitimacy of PETA. I totally back LEGITIMATE organizations for animal conservation... You know... WWF? These guys have given the Seal hunt a green pass because they know its all regulated under scientific quotas and is done in the proper manner.

If extreme animal rights activists here think they can group legitimate hunters with poachers, then they wouldn't mind if I categorize them with PETA extremists now will they?

You think she should? :confused:

Would I be calling her Miss Awesome if I thought she should be apologizing?

Minty Mouth
30-05-09, 12:38
Would I be calling her Miss Awesome if I thought she should be apologizing?

To be honest, I have no idea when you are being sarcastic, and when you are being genuine :p

You've blurred the line pretty well :o