PDA

View Full Version : can i bleach GINGER hair ?

sheepydee
28-05-09, 17:32
hey :wve:

i was wondering.. well i have this horrible ginger hair which i cant stand , so lately ive been debating if i should bleach it nd change to sumthin else.. but ppl said that if i bleached it that would make an even worse ginger ... i really really wanna different color (cant stand my ginger hair :() but i dunno if i shuld try it or not =S so i was wonderin if anyone here knows if its true??

any help much appreciated , i'd love the get rid of this color i hate it =/ why did i have to be cursed with it :(

but thx in advance

sheepydee x

Obscure
28-05-09, 17:35
I love ginger hair! I think it's quite unique :)
Well, I think ginger is one of the hardest colours to dye out I'm afraid. I'd visit a hairdresser and get a proper opinion on it though! Don't use that bottled stuff from supermarkets as it can be quite dangerous if you don't know what your doing!

sheepydee
28-05-09, 17:36
I love ginger hair! I think it's quite unique :)
Well, I think ginger is one of the hardest colours to dye out I'm afraid. I'd visit a hairdresser and get a proper opinion on it though! Don't use that bottled stuff from supermarkets as it can be quite dangerous if you don't know what your doing!

imo i dunno how anyone can like ginger :( i cant stand it , its like a bloody curse

Saphyre
28-05-09, 17:56
My cousin has ginger hair and she's had it blonde, black and brown over the years. I'm not quite sure how she does it but I can ask.

sheepydee
28-05-09, 17:57
My cousin has ginger hair and she's had it blonde, black and brown over the years. I'm not quite sure how she does it but I can ask.

it'd be good if you could :D

Dennis's Mom
28-05-09, 17:57
imo i dunno how anyone can like ginger :( i cant stand it , its like a bloody curse

I adore red hair. Used to dye mine red regularly. Drove my mother bananas. :D

Here's the deal:

If you're going darker, nothing wrong with the supermarket stuff. Read the instructions, you'll be fine. Just make sure when it's time to do your roots, you follow the instructions then as well. ;) Also, remember you're dealing with DYE, so be sure to pick up the rugs, wear an old shirt, use an old towel. Mop up drips quickly because it will dye your counters, etc.

It sounds like you really want to go lighter though. Bleaching is no where near as simple as coloring. It's a harsher process, and color results are far less predictable. You really have to know your hair's undertones. Also, going lighter is more work since roots stand out a lot more. You will wind up doing it more frequently. If you're dead set on going lighter, I would recommend letting a professional do it.

Saphyre
28-05-09, 17:59
I think Dennis' Mom has good enough advice for you atm lol

Minty Mouth
28-05-09, 18:00
Alternatively you could dye it bright red, and go for the Hayley Williams look :p

spikejones
28-05-09, 18:07
yeah... if you are going for a darker color, and the bleach job would only be a mid-way point, just skip it altogether. if you are just bleaching and your end goal is blonde, I see no real reason why bleaching it would have any adverse effect on red hair. In the end, bleach has the same effect on all colors - to turn them white. Now, I have heard on occassion in the past that some people have somehow wound up with "green" hair from a bleach job gone bad - generally after getting in the pool - but I've never actually seen it.

sheepydee
28-05-09, 18:07
I adore red hair. Used to dye mine red regularly. Drove my mother bananas. :D

Here's the deal:

If you're going darker, nothing wrong with the supermarket stuff. Read the instructions, you'll be fine. Just make sure when it's time to do your roots, you follow the instructions then as well. ;) Also, remember you're dealing with DYE, so be sure to pick up the rugs, wear an old shirt, use an old towel. Mop up drips quickly because it will dye your counters, etc.

It sounds like you really want to go lighter though. Bleaching is no where near as simple as coloring. It's a harsher process, and color results are far less predictable. You really have to know your hair's undertones. Also, going lighter is more work since roots stand out a lot more. You will wind up doing it more frequently. If you're dead set on going lighter, I would recommend letting a professional do it.
:D thanx , im lookin for a darker color so ... :D

@spikejones : i was thinking a really dark red like emilie autumn's hair XD its prettyful :p i mean red NOT as in ginger RED :p i mean a dark dark red :p

Laralissa
28-05-09, 18:17
Well if youre making it darker then you shouldnt need bleach as such o_O Bleach is generally intended to make things lighter... plus bleach can pretty much kill your hair, so I tend to avoid it altogether >_>

Goose
28-05-09, 18:18
i mean red NOT as in ginger RED

Oh, you mean strawberry blonde :p lol.

Iv known girls who have done it, usually black though, aswell as there eyebrows obviously!

sheepydee
28-05-09, 18:20
Oh, you mean strawberry blonde :p lol.

no.. not strawberry blonde... i mean a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY dark red , sorry lol i didnt know wot to if bleach or not bleach D= XD

Phys
28-05-09, 18:43
@sheepydee: do you actually hate it yourself, or is it just because everyone else seems not to like it and you get called names?

sheepydee
28-05-09, 18:46
@sheepydee: do you actually hate it yourself, or is it just because everyone else seems not to like it and you get called names?

both :p , i hate it so much myself nd ppl do my head in for it too

Phys
28-05-09, 18:48
both :p , i hate it so much myself nd ppl do my head in for it too

Ah. I can understand the name calling; used to get it myself. I like the colour too much to get rid of it though :D Plus its kinda rare

sheepydee
28-05-09, 18:49
Ah. I can understand the name calling; used to get it myself. I like the colour too much to get rid of it though :D Plus its kinda rare

lol rare in scotland not quite XD

nd i cant stand it :p no offence to you out there that have ginger hair its just it looks really ugly on me :(

jackles
28-05-09, 18:51
If you go darker it should be fine. You won't need bleach but perhaps you could try an wash in type or semi permanent colour first to see how that looks before you go the whole hog.

Phys
28-05-09, 18:53
lol rare in scotland not quite XD

nd i cant stand it :p no offence to you out there that have ginger hair its just it looks really ugly on me :(

Do you have any pictures of yourself? :) Could be easier to see what colour might suit you best

sheepydee
28-05-09, 18:54
Do you have any pictures of yourself? :) Could be easier to see what colour might suit you best

=/ sorry im really sensitive bout the way i look :( im a bit of a weirdo but i'll show u a pic when i do my hair hehe :p

January_Snow*
28-05-09, 20:55
She dyes it doh!

:D thanx , im lookin for a darker color so ... :D

@spikejones : i was thinking a really dark red like emilie autumn's hair XD its prettyful :p i mean red NOT as in ginger RED :p i mean a dark dark red :p

Sheepydee if your going for a darker colour you dont need bleach, blech is only used when going for blonde, or very very light coulours, all the other colours dont need bleach...

sheepydee
28-05-09, 21:02
wot do u suggest then? sorry im so stupid wif these thngs XD

SweetMaleficia
28-05-09, 21:09
I'm so envious, I'd kill for ginger hair <3

Sheepydee if your going for a darker colour you dont need bleach, blech is only used when going for blonde, or very very light coulours, all the other colours dont need bleach...

Any dark colour comes out better if the hair is bleached blonde first.

RockSteady101
28-05-09, 21:15
Alternatively you could dye it bright red, and go for the Hayley Williams look :p

I'm backing this.

lmao

Saw 'Hayley Williams' and I was like o_O :D

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 12:59

I've used most of the big names: L'Oreal, Garnier, Revlon. I have a soft spot for Loreal Feria. They've also got a two step process now that adds highlights, just not bleachy highlights. The idea is to add dimension.

You want auburn hair.
http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:taCP2aXvHbuDLM::www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/03/01-07/julianne-moore-2.jpg

I would kill for hair that color. :D

Nannonxyay
29-05-09, 13:25
I'm backing this.

lmao

Saw 'Hayley Williams' and I was like o_O :D

Same here. :p

Which colour though? She's been through loads of different reds.

http://i33.************/2iutbox.jpg

http://i34.************/dw6lbc.jpg

http://i34.************/5oibe0.jpg

http://i44.************/2el76eq.jpg
^ My personal fave.

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 13:30
I hate all of those. They all look fake--and not a good fake.

michaeldt
29-05-09, 14:58

I have red hair. I like it but I have tried to dye it sometimes, just for something different :) I am not sure about bleaching red hair, it is rare and you would have to wait a long time for it to grow out. why don't you like your hair? are people teasing you about it?

violentblossom
29-05-09, 15:21
i'd kill for red hair.

KILL, i tell you.

Mokono
29-05-09, 15:23
i'd kill for red hair.

KILL, i tell you.

We can tell by your avarar :D (kidding).

violentblossom
29-05-09, 15:24
We can tell by your avarar :D (kidding).

>.> good point. :D

my last avie had a red head, too, but the pic was in black and white so no one could tell. :D

anywho... i wouldn't bleach hair anyway... bleach and its potential hair killing properties frighten me.

Mokono
29-05-09, 15:35
>.> good point. :D

my last avie had a red head, too, but the pic was in black and white so no one could tell. :D

anywho... i wouldn't bleach hair anyway... bleach and its potential hair killing properties frighten me.

I know, i would not like to have any chemicals near the area where my brain's in.

Minty Mouth
29-05-09, 15:54
I hate all of those. They all look fake--and not a good fake.

False.

I always liked this colour:

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d5/unsecured/media/301939184/301939184_1475243940_897da596a892cd2671668853c4004 b68efc03309.jpg

In the right light it looks a little purpley too :)

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 16:09
No, it's a nice color, but it still looks fake in that it does not look like it sprang from her head. I wish I could do eyeliner like that though. :confused:

There's nothing wrong with bleaching your hair if you do it properly. Going a shade or two lighter is probably OK. But to get that platinum blond you have to undergo a series of lightenings otherwise you will burn your hair big time. It's a very drying process. And if you're the sort who likes to wash their hair all the time . . . *shrugs* Dry, brittle hair city. :(

Minty Mouth
29-05-09, 16:12
No, it's a nice color, but it still looks fake in that it does not look like it sprang from her head. I wish I could do eyeliner like that though. :confused:

Heh yeah, but its not supposed to look like natural hair, because no one has their natural hair that colour :p

Dennis's Mom
29-05-09, 16:45
But I want to! http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/Link%20pics/17.gif

The happiest day of my life came when I had to (finally) dye my head red for The Two Gentlemen of Verona. Many years and many unfortunate shades of red since I finally accepted it just didn't look good on me. :(

January_Snow*
29-05-09, 21:51

The hair colour that suits you the best depends on lots of factors....You say you have natural ginger hair, so I asume you have a lighter complexion right?
If you do darker colours wouldnt suit you to much, it would close you up (only if its a look you want?) I would suggest lighter colours, colour of honey maybe?