PDA

View Full Version : ProActiv? Other acne treatments

wadej88
30-05-09, 00:35
Hey guys, For years I experienced a few pimples here and there, nothing major, But about a month ago after I turned 16 I started breaking out in huge swells of pimples on my chin, forehead and on my cheeks. Nothing had changed in my diet, my lifestyle or anything, and I was using the usual Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Oil Face Wash. So after that ive tried EVERYTHING!

Literally. Salycic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Tea tree oil (Wich doesent help to scab them off anymore on my chin because it makes my chin crack). Ive also tried using nothing, but to no avail.

To my suprise my mum has bought me proactiv, wich is in the mail now. Has anyone used this product to any success? A few of my friends use it and there skin is really clear, but apparently it takes a while to work. But im still a bit hesistant after using the "clean and clear benzoyl peroxide face cleanser", wich was at 5%.

Apparently the percentage of peroxide doesent matter, but the more percent the more irritating.

If I went to the doctor (In aus) about the situation, Would they prescribe me antibiotics or something? I know they wouldnt prescribe accutane, because of all the side effects and such.
Has anyone had this situation before?
:hea:

Nenya awakens
30-05-09, 00:36
i take oxytetrocycline prescribed from the doctor, i used to have terrible acne.

this works perfect for me! i have hardly any spots now :) 1 pill a day!

LaraCablara
30-05-09, 00:38
Go to a dermatologist.

Its really the only reliable solution to it. He will prescribe you something and I guarantee you that the product will help :).

wadej88
30-05-09, 00:39
i take oxytetrocycline prescribed from the doctor, i used to have terrible acne.

this works perfect for me! i have hardly any spots now :) 1 pill a day!
Thanks for your quick reply :) .
Did the doctor prescribe you this straight away? Or did they try and make you use Benzac or something first?

LaraLuvrrr
30-05-09, 00:42
The best advice I can give you from my own personal experience using EVERYTHING for acne is to buy this product called Acnefree. Its a system like proactive but cheaper and much better. You can buy it at any pharmacy store. Dont take anything from dermatologists it usually irritates the skin and definitely dont take accutane! I used everything in the book and the only thing that worked for me was Acnefree.

violentblossom
30-05-09, 00:44
I heard that proactive is good, but not anything special. It can really dry out your skin. I've heard terrible things about what happens when you try to cancel it, too. They can be very hard to reach.

irjudd
30-05-09, 00:53
I don't know of anything that really works. I've tried everything under the sun for the last 10 years and nothing really makes it go away.

The best advice I can give is to wash your face twice a day with an over the counter acne treatment mainly just to keep the oil under control. Your acne won't go away, but it should have less of the large painful pimples.

wadej88
30-05-09, 00:53
The best advice I can give you from my own personal experience using EVERYTHING for acne is to buy this product called Acnefree. Its a system like proactive but cheaper and much better. You can buy it at any pharmacy store. Dont take anything from dermatologists it usually irritates the skin and definitely dont take accutane! I used everything in the book and the only thing that worked for me was Acnefree.

My brother ordered Acnefree Severe a few days ago, Apparently its cheaper then proactiv, and uses "retinol" as the active ingredient in the repairing lotion.

Ill definately use this product if my brother has success with it, even though he has sucess with proactiv, but hes skin is much tighter and my face is rather chubby, around my chin etc.

Thanks for your advice :)

Immortalis08
30-05-09, 01:16
I heard that proactive is good, but not anything special. It can really dry out your skin. I've heard terrible things about what happens when you try to cancel it, too. They can be very hard to reach.

Once you stop using proactive the pimples come back.

Honestly go to the dermatologist. I used to have horrible acne (now the only zits I get are due to stress) and eventually I decided to go the doctor. Believe me its saved time and money in the long run.

Encore
30-05-09, 01:17
I don't know of anything that really works. I've tried everything under the sun for the last 10 years and nothing really makes it go away.

I been through that as well.. But it all had to do with hormonal inbalance, and so under doctor's prescription I started taking the birth control pill and it worked wonders. It's a radical treatment but it works.. But I don't know if wadej is female so.. :o

irjudd
30-05-09, 01:18
I been through that as well.. But it all had to do with hormonal inbalance, and so under doctor's prescription I started taking the birth control pill and it worked wonders. It's a radical treatment but it works..
I'll try to find some birth control for men then and see if it helps :D

Encore
30-05-09, 01:19
lol Yeah I realized how stupid my post sounded as advice directly after quoting you but it was too late.. :pi:

Nenya awakens
30-05-09, 01:20
Thanks for your quick reply :) .
Did the doctor prescribe you this straight away? Or did they try and make you use Benzac or something first?

sorry i got that wrong

the doctor first gave me oxytetrocycline but i didint like it, so he then put me on
Monocycline i think its called, its a lot stronger,

ask your doctor for Oxy as it is the best treatment, it will clear them up in a few weeks :)

LaraLuvrrr
30-05-09, 01:22
My brother ordered Acnefree Severe a few days ago, Apparently its cheaper then proactiv, and uses "retinol" as the active ingredient in the repairing lotion.

Ill definately use this product if my brother has success with it, even though he has sucess with proactiv, but hes skin is much tighter and my face is rather chubby, around my chin etc.

Thanks for your advice :)

Oh yea I forgot they came out with an Acnefree Severe. Ive never used it though. But I did use a Neutrogena Retinol cream once and my face got really red and inflamed... So idk id stick to the plain kind lol

Nitro Typhoon
30-05-09, 01:37
I have acne as well, but it's quite a mild form. Most of the time, it doesn't look too noticeable, but sometimes, it can be very noticeable.

I'm just getting sick of it at this point. I've had if for about 3 or 4 years now, and haven't really done anything about it. I'm not sure if it's serious enough to go to a doctor about, but I really am starting to get fed up and paranoid.
I heard benzoyl peroxide was supposed to be quite good?

_Lam
30-05-09, 01:43
ProActiv works really fine but it's too complicated and EXPENSIVE !!!!
I suggest you to see the doctor, he recommended me a product called benzaclin (something like that) and it work in 1 day ! Belive me, it's a white cylindric bottle and you need to apply like a small drop each morning and night ! And here it's free because we, Canadian, have the health insurance card ! :D

;)

TRenTIs
30-05-09, 01:44
I use a pill called "Frakas" to stop me from getting pimples, and it works really well. The active ingredient in it is doxycycline. I also use a cream called "Zorac" to get rid of pimples if I get them.

Using both of these together has really helped.

I d have one other problem with my skin though, so I might as well ask this question in this thread:
I have really large pores on my nose that constantly get clogged. Does anyone know of anything that will unclog and minimise my pores? It's a very annoying problem.

January_Snow*
30-05-09, 02:08
About the pimple problem, all you have to do is go to a good salon and have a face treatmant, they will squeze out all of your existing pimples wich will make you all swollen for two days, but after that you only continue to use any cleaning cream, and your face will look great...my friend did this she had awfull skin, and now she has no acne or pimples at all...I never had alot of problems, but I use Garnier 3in1, its like a washing cream, pilling gel, and a mask in one product, and it works awsome for me :D

About the pores, they open under the effect of steam, so if they get cloged alot, all you have to do is expose your self to steam, you could go to a sauna, or in the house just boil some water and put your face over the steam, I think thats how the pores are getting opened :)

TRenTIs
30-05-09, 02:27
^ I have this face mask thing and another face wash that say that they are deep pore cleansing. Immediately after I use them, I can see a huge difference, but when I look again a few hours later, the problem is back. Do you think this could just be because of normal teenager oil and hormone stuff? (I don't know the correct terminology. lol)

And I really don't see why exposing it to steam would help. :o

Indiana Croft
30-05-09, 04:09
Just go see a dermatologist and take their reccomended prescriptions. Trust me, Proactiv does NOT work better than prescription. Proactiv made my face worse actually, and anything over the counter is a joke. Trust me I tried everything, even **** from overseas. I had horrible acne, and while I have unpleasant scarring, my doctor helped my face tons to the point where I only get one real zit a week with some occasional white heads. The Doctor knows best lol so just trust him/her if you decide to schedule and appointment

January_Snow*
30-05-09, 04:09
^ I have this face mask thing and another face wash that say that they are deep pore cleansing. Immediately after I use them, I can see a huge difference, but when I look again a few hours later, the problem is back. Do you think this could just be because of normal teenager oil and hormone stuff? (I don't know the correct terminology. lol)

And I really don't see why exposing it to steam would help. :o

I dont really know, Im 17, but I never had a problem with pores, and I dont know alot of people who have that problem, acctually youre the first person I encountered :)
Because steam opens pores, its a fact, you should try it, but I dont know the seriousness of your problem, so Im not sure if it will help alot, but thats one thing I know, steam opens pores, and when I saw you have cloged pores I thought it was a logical solution :)

MattTR
30-05-09, 04:12
I went to the dermatologist few months ago, he prescribes "Doxycycline", which is an antibiotic and cleared my face like a charm. :)

I also use some creams.. forgot the names, but Clearisel always seems to work. :tmb:

And of course wash and rinse your face regularly.

Rachel Croft
30-05-09, 04:14
Try apple cider vinegar and baking soda. :) But for me, when I put stuff on my face, I break out more, so I don't really use anything, I just wash my face.
Also, drink and have more olive oil because when you get a build-up of bad oil and old water, it casues acne.

Melonie Tomb Raider
30-05-09, 04:17
I used to have a little bit of acne when I was a teenager, and without a doubt, lemon juice was the best thing I've ever tried. Before you go to bed, get some 100% lemon juice on a paper towel or cotton swap, and put it all over your face. If you have a particular blemish or two that you want to target, hold the lemon juice on it for 10 minutes. Go to bed, wake up in the morning, and you WILL notice a difference. It's miracle juice. :p

Also, avoid fatty, greasy, and sugary foods. The healthier you eat, the better your skin will look. And drink plenty of water. If you're under some stress, try to reduce that as best you can, because stress causes acne as well.

TRenTIs
30-05-09, 04:26
I dont really know, Im 17, but I never had a problem with pores, and I dont know alot of people who have that problem, acctually youre the first person I encountered :)
Because steam opens pores, its a fact, you should try it, but I dont know the seriousness of your problem, so Im not sure if it will help alot, but thats one thing I know, steam opens pores, and when I saw you have cloged pores I thought it was a logical solution :)

I think I'll try that sometime soon. Thanks for your help. :)
And, I'm sorry if it may have sounded as though I was snapping at you before. I read over my post, and I thought I sounded a bit ungrateful for your help. But thank you. :)

(And also, you have the most amazing avatar ever!! The first time I saw it, I burst into laughter. :tmb:)

January_Snow*
30-05-09, 04:29
I think I'll try that sometime soon. Thanks for your help. :)
And, I'm sorry if it may have sounded as though I was snapping at you before. I read over my post, and I thought I sounded a bit ungrateful for your help. But thank you. :)

(And also, you have the most amazing avatar ever!! The first time I saw it, I burst into laughter. :tmb:)

Nooooo, you didnt sound ungratefull :D youre imagining things :D
Im not sure if it will help, but you wont lose anything if you try :) :) :)

:D thank you :D My reaction was the same when I first saw the pic :vlol: :vlol:

Shark_Blade
30-05-09, 04:34
Getting enough sleep helps a lot too. Mine usually resulted from sleep deprivation.

Raider1969
30-05-09, 05:26
When I was a teenager I saw a dermatologist for my acne he prescribed antibiotics, they worked. I had acne on my face, chest and back I was on the antibiotics for months, it was worth it as they helped clear the acne up. There was a product that I used from June Dally Watkins it was in a small tube a type of cream cannot remember the name it was great for clearing pimples up.

wadej88
30-05-09, 05:53
Hey guys,
since I wasnt doing anything today,
I went to the doc and he prescribed me "AKAMIN 50"
The main ingredient is Minocycline 50mg.

He said it will take at least a month for my skin to be clear, but hopefully it will work, Plus the proactiv will make my face nice n fresh :-) lol.

BTW Guys: Apparently if you put eye drops on a q-tip then freeze them, apply to your pimples the imflamation will go down and the bacteria will stop growing, and facial steamings are good for unblocking pores but the heat will make the bacteria grow much quicker, but that means the blemish will be gone quicker.

Wish me luck on the new tablets :) , And thanks for all your advice :tmb:

January_Snow*
30-05-09, 05:55
Good luck!:D :D :D
Hope your face will get clean soon :D

wadej88
30-05-09, 06:33
Has anyone else here tried Minocycline?
And "Nenya awakens", what side effects have you encountered with it?

Larapink
30-05-09, 07:15
I only get spots when I have been stressed or not eating the right diet. Normally I don't have any spots. :(

I get marks from where the spots were when they fade away, just like my Excema. :(

I'm going to see my dermatologist soon, they deal with my Excema though. :)

digitizedboy
30-05-09, 08:13
avoid sugary foods.

That's a myth to be honest.

Good luck on the new tablets wadej88. Hope they clear up soon.

RAID
30-05-09, 08:20
I use Proactiv every day.

It's great. My skin has never been clearer. If you're gonna use it, do not use more than twice a day though.

ShadyCroft
30-05-09, 08:48
I think your best move first is to see a dermatologist to get a medical opinion.

I did that and the doc prescribed Diffirin for me and it worked wonders. My face is not 100% clear per se, but its 10 times better than it used to be. :)

As a matter of fact, compared to how it used to be, my face pwns Jo-lo's. :p

MiCkiZ88
30-05-09, 08:55
I used to have rather horrible acne on my back and shoulders but thanks to 2-3 months of taking medicine it all got away. I still do have some random breakouts (Without taking any medicine) but that's just a spot or two. Far better than having your whole back filled with wet acne spots and having to change bloody sheets every few days.

Can't remember the name of the medicine, but it wasn't particularly aimed at acne. More like some STD. Confused my stepmom properly when she saw the pills in the bathroom. :o

Lemon juice (like Mel said) works wonders on your skin and can also fasten the healing of scars. I barely have any acne scars and if I do, they are only those small white spots on my back. None on my face.

I used to get acne from eating sugary/greasy foods but ever since I took the pills (which I don't take anymore) the acne doesnt appear back. Greasy skin in the morning... that's a different story though. But hey, that's what face wash and shower are for :p

wadej88
30-05-09, 09:41
If worse comes to worse, ill steal someone's skin whilst there sleeping.....

TRenTIs
30-05-09, 10:02
Hey guys,
since I wasnt doing anything today,
I went to the doc and he prescribed me "AKAMIN 50"
The main ingredient is Minocycline 50mg.

Hey wadej88, I'm almost certain that I used to take those pills before the ones that I take now. They should work wonders.

I wish you the best of luck. :hug:

Oh and [B]January_Snow*, I'll try the steaming soon. Thanks for the tip. :hug:

digitizedboy
30-05-09, 11:12
If worse comes to worse, ill steal someone's skin whilst there sleeping.....

lol. sounds like something from silence of the lambs.

Mokono
30-05-09, 11:38
Go to a dermatologist.

Its really the only reliable solution to it. He will prescribe you something and I guarantee you that the product will help :).

Yes, that's the best advice i've seen so far. look, when i was out from highschool i've got a severe acné outbreak unstoppable that was wrecking my entire face (cause acné is also dangerous for the marks it leaves aftermath). I started trying every kind of product that said acné and free, but nothing worked, only a few daily cleaning products like a liquid soap oil free from Neutrogena line made little change. My mom's friends also gave her a lot of recipes that seemed to work with their sons, but none of them worked for me. I even tried clorophile, cause some naturist on TV said that it was the best damn thing on earth, but the whole green thing made me look like some sort of alien (and also ruined some my fav shirts). So i decided to go to a dermatologist, and she did magic. She prescribed me Roaccutan 20mg from Roche. At first, i was uncomfortable cause the capsules she prescribed me had huge side-effects warning list (the worst one said something about cell carcinoma tissue), like baby malformations if pregnant, if you are a woman, and hypervitaminosis A (i can scan you the warning list if you want). Also, i had to take some compatibility test, but everything went ok and i took the pills for several months. The dosis depends on the progress, i used to take one by morning and one by night, but when the results were increasing, the dosis was like one in the morning today and one in the morning and another one in the night by tomorrow. Later was like just one in the morning and per day. Also, the treatment goes with some special cleaning products; for example, she recognized that the Neutrogena products help, also some exfoliants and special prescribed creams and pomades that reconstruct wrecked tissue like spots or scars (it works best if you're young). And now i have, not a perfect face, but a more healthy one. She also told me to eat as less junk food as possible (Nooo, don't take me away from chocolates please! I still ate chocolates, but i think it delayed the treatment).

Again, i repeat that all the products that did something are prescribed by a doctor according to some compatibility tests. If you take the test, and you're not compatible with the products i used, your doctor will prescribe you another one. So don't try to get them by your own, without prescription, it's also illegal.

thanatos
30-05-09, 11:42
That's a myth to be honest.

Good luck on the new tablets wadej88. Hope they clear up soon.

No it's not, any food with a High GI has been shown to have negative affects on the condition of people's skin, if anyone says diet doesn't affect skin condition is talking nonsense. Some people still have problems even when their diet is perfect but chances are it would be far worse if their diet was high in things like White bread/rice, potatoes, sugar etc.
Strict diet control has certainly done wonders for me that even Roacutane had trouble fighting.

Nenya awakens
30-05-09, 11:49
Has anyone else here tried Minocycline?
And "Nenya awakens", what side effects have you encountered with it?

I had no side effects that i noticed and my face cleared up in a matter of weeks.

it's an 18 month course tho, i've just finished mine and i get a few spots now and then, but nothing like i used to have.

i reccommend it!

Mokono
30-05-09, 11:51
No it's not, any food with a High GI has been shown to have negative affects on the condition of people's skin, if anyone says diet doesn't affect skin condition is talking nonsense. Some people still have problems even when their diet is perfect but chances are it would be far worse if their diet was high in things like White bread/rice, potatoes, sugar etc.
Strict diet control has certainly done wonders for me that even Roacutane had trouble fighting.

For me it delayed the treatment. But i left the junkfood anyway. No acné treatment goes two kg of fried chips, or a dozen of chocolates. What i meant is that i never stopped eating chocolates, but i didn't eat them every day.

toxicraider
30-05-09, 11:54
sorry i got that wrong

the doctor first gave me oxytetrocycline but i didint like it, so he then put me on
Monocycline i think its called, its a lot stronger,

ask your doctor for Oxy as it is the best treatment, it will clear them up in a few weeks :)

I've used Oxy., it's the only thing that worked for me. I went from terrible acne to a pretty acceptable face, although at first it can leave you feeling a bit unwell, or can mess around with the enamel on your teeth, strong stuff. I'd see a doctor and ask them for advice.

mizuno_suisei
30-05-09, 12:02
Im currently on Minocycline tablets (2 per day) and I'm using the Differin Gel (Once a day) and its working quite well.

I did use proactive for a few months, It was beginning to work just as my trial was finishing and it was just too expensive to keep going unfortunately.

sheepydee
30-05-09, 12:23
i have a wee bit of bad acne strange tho.. sometimes it goes away for a day or 2 then comes back :mad: ive tried like LOADSA stuff nd nuttin works :(

Mokono
30-05-09, 12:36
i have a wee bit of bad acne strange tho.. sometimes it goes away for a day or 2 then comes back :mad: ive tried like LOADSA stuff nd nuttin works :(

That sounds more like an stress reaction. Nerves had a huge role in acné too.

sheepydee
30-05-09, 13:05
That sounds more like an stress reaction. Nerves had a huge role in acné too.

Yikes :eek: well i cant help it :p im always stressed bout something XD

Dennis's Mom
30-05-09, 13:18
Here's a tried and true home remedy: Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Apply a thin layer with a cotton ball, let dry, rinse off.

Although excess oil is part of the problem with acne, don't let your skin get over dry--that's irritating. You may actually need a moisturizer even though it feels counter intuitive. Also, keep your hands away from your face. Acne is basically an open wound, and hands are dirty, so don't pick or scratch or whatever unless you've just washed them.

Regarding your stress, here's a new mantra for you: It's going to be OK. Even if it not OK, it's going to be OK. :D

January_Snow*
30-05-09, 13:36
Oh and January_Snow*, I'll try the steaming soon. Thanks for the tip. :hug:

Ok, tell me if it worked :D *keeping fingers crossed*

EmeraldFields
30-05-09, 15:54
I used to have some acne.

I use the Neutrogena Transparent Facial Bar for Acne-Prone Skin twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night. If I have a really bad breakout I put the Neutrogena On-the-spot Acne Cream on it.

I know I sound like a walking advertisment for them, but their products have helped me.:p

star-dust
30-05-09, 15:57
Hey guys, For years I experienced a few pimples here and there, nothing major, But about a month ago after I turned 16 I started breaking out in huge swells of pimples on my chin, forehead and on my cheeks. Nothing had changed in my diet, my lifestyle or anything, and I was using the usual Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Oil Face Wash. So after that ive tried EVERYTHING!

Literally. Salycic Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, Tea tree oil (Wich doesent help to scab them off anymore on my chin because it makes my chin crack). Ive also tried using nothing, but to no avail.

To my suprise my mum has bought me proactiv, wich is in the mail now. Has anyone used this product to any success? A few of my friends use it and there skin is really clear, but apparently it takes a while to work. But im still a bit hesistant after using the "clean and clear benzoyl peroxide face cleanser", wich was at 5%.

Apparently the percentage of peroxide doesent matter, but the more percent the more irritating.

If I went to the doctor (In aus) about the situation, Would they prescribe me antibiotics or something? I know they wouldnt prescribe accutane, because of all the side effects and such.
Has anyone had this situation before?
:hea:

I was on proactiv for 2.5 years. You have to remember that results are different for everybody. In my experience, proactic cleared up my skin only somewhat. It was never totally clear and in the end my skin started to get worst. As if my skin had gotten used to the product and it no longer had any effect. I went to the doctor and was prescribed accutane. I was told ac****ane was the highest of all acne treatments, I did have to try antibiotics first. Accutane wasn't just a drug they hand out where I am. In the two weeks I was on accutane boom my red cheeks were gone, my acne disappeared very fast!

I was on accutane for four months and it is the one drug that made my skin what it is. Currently now my skin does get the pimple every now and then. My skin care routine is I use products from this store called Lush and my skin has now never looked better. And Lush products are hand-made, fresh, and contain no nasty ingredients, it's all natural.

It's tough to find what's right for your skin. There's something out there for everyone, it just takes time I wish you all the best with proactiv! :)

toxicraider
30-05-09, 15:58
Here's a tried and true home remedy: Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Apply a thin layer with a cotton ball, let dry, rinse off.

Although excess oil is part of the problem with acne, don't let your skin get over dry--that's irritating. You may actually need a moisturizer even though it feels counter intuitive. Also, keep your hands away from your face. Acne is basically an open wound, and hands are dirty, so don't pick or scratch or whatever unless you've just washed them.

Regarding your stress, here's a new mantra for you: It's going to be OK. Even if it not OK, it's going to be OK. :D

Calamide lotion also worked well, but aside from tablets, the best solution was to not touch my face :tmb:
Also, DON't PICK THEM! It takes a few days for a spot to heal, but it takes months for scabs and scars to vanish. Even after you've found a successful treatment, it won't really help scars from spots that you've picked.

Feather Duster
30-05-09, 17:41
Also, stop touching your face!

God Horus
30-05-09, 18:01
Just don't touch your face no matter how bad the acne is! If you play around with it you could get acne scars which stay for months!

Well, I know people who have tried ProActiv and they say it's really good. I never had major acne problems. I started using the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash and the Neutrogena Acne Free Cleansing Pads a few years ago and my face has been clear and I haven't had any problems. Then again, I rarely got acne and when I did it was only a bit and it went away after a few days.

I also suggest you look up some good natural home remedies on the Internet, they can do wonders and leave your face feeling really nice and fresh.

Tear
30-05-09, 18:33
Proactiv didn't work for me, only made my face worse for like 5 months.:p
Minocycline did though, for a time.;)

Dennis's Mom
30-05-09, 19:24
Calamide lotion also worked well,

MOM also is antibacterial which is why it works well. And for the price, you really can't go wrong trying either.

raiderfun
30-05-09, 19:38
I don't there's a real treatement somewhere, acne will vanish with time. It's been years and years now that I'm having acne, I tried everything, nothing is efficient, it's hormonal. But I've heard of a medecine called "Roaccutane", it is very efficient but it has serious side effects that's why I do not want to use it. I am waiting desperately for my acne to vanish forever :(

thanatos
30-05-09, 20:23
I don't there's a real treatement somewhere, acne will vanish with time. It's been years and years now that I'm having acne, I tried everything, nothing is efficient, it's hormonal. But I've heard of a medecine called "Roaccutane", it is very efficient but it has serious side effects that's why I do not want to use it. I am waiting desperately for my acne to vanish forever :(

I always thought the side effects for roacutane were fairly exaggerated, when i was on it I got VERY dry skin but other than that no ill effects. Some people are known to get extremely depressed but with Acne disappearing i was nothing but happy.

Candee Sparks
30-05-09, 21:02
Clearasil face wash should clear up most skin, not entirely for some but it works really well and the Clean and Clear kit is even better. Recommended it to a client bout two months ago who broke down crying because her skin was in such bad condition after using Proactive for years and still had no effect. All Proactive does is just rip apart the layers of skin, can't even tell you how many people I've seen with ripped up skin from it and who have real medical issues with acne; were not allowed to use any of our foundations except mineral on clients if they have a serious acne problem because it could have a really bad effect on their skin. It's just one of those products that work with some people and can have really bad results on others. For real medical issues, ask your doctor about getting prescriptions to things like clindamycin -- worked wonders for mine. Dry skin is normal for most acne medications but it's nothing that a oil free lotion can't fix but pat your face dry with a towel, never rub it in after you just used medication.

Neutrogena is also really good too but I'm allergic to it so I can't use it.

wadej88
31-05-09, 00:31
So anyway,
check this out : http://www.acne.org/minocycline-antibiotic-reviews/27/page1.html

It seems what im taking has a bad rep of making people sleepy and depressed, though most are on the 100mg dose.

Thats rather strange, as the doctor didnt explain anything to me about the pill, just that if i take it i need to wear sunscreen.

And asking around ive found out that my sisters friend got suicidal and tried to jump off a balcony, and that my mums cousin commited suicide whilst on some sort of acne pills,

But perhaps they were accutane they were taking?
Any thoughts?

Edit: Plus does anyone know any tips to get rid of inflammation?
For example gren tea etc

Mokono
01-06-09, 10:39
Plus does anyone know any tips to get rid of inflammation?
For example gren tea etc

Yes, depending on skin, it can help... Also try ice to reduce the size of the inflammation.

Jack Croft
01-06-09, 10:43
I went to the dermatologist few months ago, he prescribes "Doxycycline", which is an antibiotic and cleared my face like a charm. :)

I also use some creams.. forgot the names, but Clearisel always seems to work. :tmb:

And of course wash and rinse your face regularly.

Good old Doxy, unfortunately mine didnt work for me (so far) maybe mine will go eventually (18 at present) you never know! :D

It just one of those teenage things!

January_Snow*
01-06-09, 14:36
I got a huuuge pimple on my beard last night, and in desperation of what should I do I remembered that someone here suggested of using eyedrops to cool down the infection, I put some drops on my pimple and went to bed, and it worked fantastically, the redness was gone by the morning, and it was noticabley smaller =)))))))))))))

-DaNnEe..
01-06-09, 14:50
Since this is about skin... Does anyone know any good products for getting rid of blackheads? I've got some and they are ugly. :\

Love2Raid
01-06-09, 15:42
How annoying! Don't scratch them or something, cause that will leave nasty scars. If the usual stuff doesn't work, which I guess it doesn't because you have already tried, then indeed you should see a dermatologist. They will probably start with antibiotics locally, and if that doesn't work or it's not just your face but also back/neck area etc, you will get antibotics in pills for a few months. That should work. And if it doesn't, there are other things. Combinations of the above maybe or medication based on a vitamine A- acid. The last mentioned is quite 'heavy' though, but it works very well.