PDA

View Full Version : .net passport

spikejones
30-05-09, 06:17
okay.. after setting up my computer again, I'm curious as to this whole ".NET Passport" thing. What is it.. what does it do.. and why would I want it?

Punaxe
30-05-09, 06:40
The .NET Passport is the old name for what is now called the Windows Live ID, ergo, it can be used to log in to all Windows Live services or other sites connected to the Microsoft Passport Network.

aktrekker
30-05-09, 07:11
It puts you and your password and other personal information at the mercy of MS.

It's up to you.

spikejones
31-05-09, 01:09
The .NET Passport is the old name for what is now called the Windows Live ID, ergo, it can be used to log in to all Windows Live services or other sites connected to the Microsoft Passport Network.
thats what I read elsewhere, but I have no clue what all this windows live crud is.
It puts you and your password and other personal information at the mercy of MS.

It's up to you.

this i figured

Punaxe
31-05-09, 09:25
thats what I read elsewhere, but I have no clue what all this windows live crud is.

this i figured

Meh I wouldn't be too paranoid about it. Here's a list of the services (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live). Most people only use Hotmail and Messenger, but I believe Messenger is a lot less popular in the USA than it is here. Obviously, if you don't need it, don't use it.

Sega Saturn
31-05-09, 10:39
It's what people usually call "Messenger" or "MSN". :p

spikejones
01-06-09, 04:22
Meh I wouldn't be too paranoid about it. Here's a list of the services (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live). Most people only use Hotmail and Messenger, but I believe Messenger is a lot less popular in the USA than it is here. Obviously, if you don't need it, don't use it.
what I don't get is... why associate your username with hotmail/messenger? I can see it automatically logging you into messenger when you log in to windows - but you don't even need a passport to do that. as for the hotmail thing, don't you have to go online to do that? It baffles me as to why you'd need or even want it. *scratches head*

It's what people usually call "Messenger" or "MSN". :p

I know messenger is part of the MSN live etc etc.

Punaxe
01-06-09, 12:21
what I don't get is... why associate your username with hotmail/messenger? I can see it automatically logging you into messenger when you log in to windows - but you don't even need a passport to do that. as for the hotmail thing, don't you have to go online to do that? It baffles me as to why you'd need or even want it. *scratches head* (...)

What username do you mean? The Windows Live ID does save your username for certain services such as the Live Space as far as I know, but that makes sense. If you mean your Windows username, indeed Messenger can log you in when you log on to Windows, but whether or not it does is a local setting, and that's no different than what Skype would do. The Live ID is not related to your Windows login. The Live ID is for Microsoft's online services (Windows Live). If you want/need to use any of those... That's when you want/need a Live ID. :p