PDA

View Full Version : Millvina Dean, last survivor of the Titanic ... signing off.

voltz
01-06-09, 11:12
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090531/ts_afp/britaintitanichistorypeople

LONDON (AFP) Millvina Dean, the last remaining survivor of the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, died in a care home in England on Sunday, media reports said. She was 97.

Elizabeth Gladys Dean, known to friends as Millvina, was only nine weeks old when the liner hit an iceberg in the Atlantic Ocean on the night of April 14, 1912, and sank killing 1,500 people.

She survived after being bundled up in a sack and carried to safety. Her mother Georgette Eva and brother Bertram also made it, but her father, Bertram Frank, was among those who died.

Dean died in a private nursing home near Ashurst in the southern English county of Hampshire, according to the BBC and Britain's domestic Press Association news agency. Staff there refused to comment late Sunday.

Dean's family had boarded the Titanic at Southampton, heading for a new life in Kansas where her father hoped to open a tobacconist shop.

Born on February 12, 1912, Dean was the youngest passenger on board. At the time, RMS Titanic was the most luxurious, most technically advanced and largest passenger liner in the world.

She was dubbed "unsinkable", but it took just two hours and 40 minutes for her to disappear into the icy waters of the Atlantic after striking an iceberg at 11:40 pm on April 14.

Dean was taken back to Southampton with her family after the disaster and did not find out that she had been on board until she was eight years old and her mother was planning to remarry.

According to enthusiasts' website Encyclopedia Titanica (ET), Dean worked for the government as a cartographer during World War II and then for an engineering company.

She told reporters that it was not until the wreckage of the liner was found in 1985 that she suddenly became a celebrity, taking part in documentaries and giving media interviews.

Dean was invited to complete her family's ill-fated journey to the United States in 1997 aboard the QE2, and accepted, although she turned down an offer to attend the premier of the movie "Titanic" because it would be too upsetting.

She moved into a private nursing home in Hampshire after breaking her hip three years ago, and after struggling to pay the bills was forced to sell off some of her memorabilia.

At auction in October 2008 she raised 31,150 pounds (40,000 euros, 53,900 dollars), selling off rare prints of the liner signed by the artists as well as compensation letters sent to her mother by the Titanic Relief Fund.

Dean was also forced to sell a 100-year-old suitcase filled with clothes donated to her family by the people of New York when they arrived after being rescued.

In the wake of the auction, friends including members of the British Titanic Society and the Belfast Titanic Society -- the liner was built in Belfast in Northern Ireland-- set up a campaign to secure her future.

Among the donors to the Millvina Fund were Hollywood actors Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio, who starred in the 1997 "Titanic" film. The pair and the film's director, James Cameron, reportedly donated 30,000 US dollars in total.

The last remaining US survivor, Lillian Asplund, died in her home in May 2006 at the age of 99. She was just five years old when the Titanic went down.

With that said, an era comes to a close... forever. When you get the chance, take a moment and give one final salute to those who served the ship and a salute to those who set out to make history.

Mokono
01-06-09, 11:18
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090531/ts_afp/britaintitanichistorypeople

With that said, an era comes to a close... forever. When you get the chance, take a moment and give one final salute to those who served the ship and a salute to those who set out to make history.

Very true, although se had no memory about the event, she's still part of history. This remembers me about that man who was said to be the last WWI survivor. Remember that we're in XXI century now, a "new" era.

voltz
01-06-09, 11:22
Sad part about new eras is the lack of respect for history, but I guess I'm lucky enough to witness how this one turns out.

Awhile back I went to the Titanic exhibition in St. Paul Minnesota and got to see so many things that were brought up from the wreck. It's something I can't imagine with everyone who was there at the time, wondering what their lives were like.

thanatos
01-06-09, 12:05
Best thread title EVER

violentblossom
01-06-09, 12:54
Awww... how sad. :(

Love2Raid
01-06-09, 13:00
May she rest in peace.

XBOXCroft
01-06-09, 13:15
Rest in peace, Millvina. :(

(The title's so sad. Darn, you made me cry.)

SGRaider
01-06-09, 14:21
This is so sad. :( R.I.P. :(

thanatos
01-06-09, 15:15
It's not that bloody sad, she was 99 for christ's sake, I'm sure she led a good, certainly long life. She was probably glad it was over by the end of it.

violentblossom
01-06-09, 15:17
It's not that bloody sad, she was 99 for christ's sake, I'm sure she led a good, certainly long life. She was probably glad it was over by the end of it.

How is it not sad?

She was not only a woman, but a piece of history.

thanatos
01-06-09, 15:25
How is it not sad?

She was not only a woman, but a piece of history.

A ten year old child getting run over by a drunk driver is SAD news,

a 99 year old women who has led a long, full life (longer than many of us will likely reach) is just news.

mizuno_suisei
01-06-09, 15:30
^ still though. I mean I was reading about her and I was just hoping so much she'd live till April 14th 2012 because that would be the 100th anniversary. But unfortunately, she's gone so I hope she enjoyed her life and rest in peace.

Legend Killer
01-06-09, 15:35
97 is nothing to sneeze at. I'd love to make it to that age. It is sad to think of that era coming to a close though. R.I.P. Millvina.

violentblossom
01-06-09, 15:37
A ten year old child getting run over by a drunk driver is SAD news,

a 99 year old women who has led a long, full life (longer than many of us will likely reach) is just news.

You're missing the historical value.

thanatos
01-06-09, 15:43
You're missing the historical value.

No I'm not, why is it any sadder because she was a baby aboard the Titanic, if she wasn't her death wouldn't even be news.

violentblossom
01-06-09, 15:47
No I'm not, why is it any sadder because she was a baby aboard the Titanic, if she wasn't her death wouldn't even be news.

Because she was the last survivor, the last living fragment of an essentially legendary event, an event that has been immortalized in the minds of millions by hollywood actors, an event that has captivated who knows how many.. she was a part of it. She was apart of something grand and historical and tragic.

You don't have to care about it, but the rest of us do.

I reckon that people will feel the same when the last living survivor of 911 dies.

Fallen.Angel
01-06-09, 15:49
This is sad. :( May she rest in peace. At least she got to live a long life. :)

TRhalloween
01-06-09, 15:52
*Salutes lady*

Rest in Peace.

AmericanAssassin
01-06-09, 15:58
97 years is a very long time, but it's still sad. :( RIP, Millvina Dean...

thanatos
01-06-09, 16:29
Because she was the last survivor, the last living fragment of an essentially legendary event, an event that has been immortalized in the minds of millions by hollywood actors, an event that has captivated who knows how many.. she was a part of it. She was apart of something grand and historical and tragic.

You don't have to care about it, but the rest of us do.

I reckon that people will feel the same when the last living survivor of 911 dies.

She was a meaningless link to a historic event, if anything it's a happy story, she survived and went on to live to a grand age, a fitting final chapter in the tragic story of the Titanic.

violentblossom
01-06-09, 16:39
She was a meaningless link to a historic event, if anything it's a happy story, she survived and went on to live to a grand age, a fitting final chapter in the tragic story of the Titanic.

That's an incredibly insensitive thing to say. I don't understand your negative outlook on this. :confused:

Just because you didn't know her doesn't make her "meaningless".

DragonSlayer
01-06-09, 17:13

how can you say that it's always sad when someone dies tell you what when a member of your family dies send me a pm letting me know and i'll pm you back saying its not sad deal with it when you complain about it i'll remind you of what you said in this topic you are so :cen:insensitive.

xx_Hunt_xx
01-06-09, 17:40
Awww :(
RIP Millvina.

adventurerLara
01-06-09, 17:49
Rest in peace:(

thanatos
01-06-09, 18:06
That's an incredibly insensitive thing to say. I don't understand your negative outlook on this. :confused:

Just because you didn't know her doesn't make her "meaningless".

I don't have a negative outlook, you do, I said it's a HAPPY reminder of the survivors of the Titanic often led a long full life like this woman did. I'm sure her family are sad she's passed on but they know it was time and certainly wasn't sudden. When my great grandmother passed on we all mourned but she was 104, she was happy to go, it was good to know she lived a happy life and we celebrated that.

how can you say that it's always sad when someone dies tell you what when a member of your family dies send me a pm letting me know and i'll pm you back saying its not sad deal with it when you complain about it i'll remind you of what you said in this topic you are so :cen:insensitive.

Why would I care your response on someone's death you've never met. People die every second of the day, do you go around weeping your heart out constantly?

violentblossom
01-06-09, 18:11
I don't have a negative outlook, you do.

:rolleyes: Right. You're the one who has a problem with how everyone is perceiving this news.

As previously stated, if you don't care, then fantastic, but the rest of us do, leave us alone.

thanatos
01-06-09, 18:33
:rolleyes: Right. You're the one who has a problem with how everyone is perceiving this news.

As previously stated, if you don't care, then fantastic, but the rest of us do, leave us alone.

I explained what I meant, dragging quotes out of context merely shows your lack of understanding them.
I don't have a problem with the way you perceive the news, I just wanted to know WHY everyone perceives this as such sad news, but if you don't want to have a mature discussion about the portrayal of death in the media and why one person's death should be more important than another than fair enough.

violentblossom
01-06-09, 18:43
I explained what I meant, dragging quotes out of context merely shows your lack of understanding them.
I don't have a problem with the way you perceive the news, I just wanted to know WHY everyone perceives this as such sad news, but if you don't want to have a mature discussion about the portrayal of death in the media and why one person's death should be more important than another than fair enough.

And we told you and you continued on. Continuing to ask why everyone is saddened by this news when they have already given you sufficient explanation is pointless.. you aren't going to change anyone's opinion but pushing your own onto them. What discussion was there to be had when no new points were being brought to the proverbial table?

Anyway, this argument is rubbish. I'm tired of talking to you.

Changeling
01-06-09, 19:05
Both of you have good points. True, she was the part of an almost legendary event that has lived on in our minds for nearly a century. However, saying that, she has no memory of the event due to her only being nine weeks old when it happened and she didn't even find out she had been on the Titanic until she was eight years old.

I'm glad she led a long life, but we should have at least a partly positive outlook on this in celebration of her life and history. :)

Lee croft
01-06-09, 19:17
R.i.p :(

young Lara Croft
01-06-09, 19:18
:( Rest in peace Millvina, 97 years a beautiful number! :(

scoopy_loopy
02-06-09, 06:13
Its not really that sad people... she was almost a hundred years old, and she cant even remember what being on the Titanic was like!

Good luck to her, where-ever she is.

Marianna12
02-06-09, 07:44
Yes, but it's still sad!!!
R.I.P
:(:(:(:(:(

Jack Croft
02-06-09, 08:14
Shame, that she was the last of an era.

Know only if they would float up the titanic as soon it will be destroyed by the currents and erosion. Some may fell it was desecrating peoples memories but to me, it means they would last longer if it managed to survive in a muesum.

scoopy_loopy
02-06-09, 08:53

Know only if they would float up the titanic as soon it will be destroyed by the currents and erosion. Some may fell it was desecrating peoples memories but to me, it means they would last longer if it managed to survive in a muesum.

It would be REALLY bloody expensive and dangerous to "float up" the Titanic. Its in several pieces as I recall :p

Jack Croft
02-06-09, 09:22
It would be REALLY bloody expensive and dangerous to "float up" the Titanic. Its in several pieces as I recall :p

But it would be worth it in my opinion. :)

Maybe wait till after the Recession.

Rai
02-06-09, 13:08

The best that could be done I suppose is to take some parts of the ship, anything that can be moved safely and place those in a museum. Isn't there already an exhibition for some items that came from the Titanic?

It is sad that the very last survivor has now passed away. But she lived a long life, so her family must be thankful for that at least. It must have been surreal for her in a way. She wouldn't have any memories of being on the ship or the tragedy, then she finds out she was part of it all, a recent historical event.

R.I.P Millvina.

Changeling
02-06-09, 13:20

You're right... soon enough in the distant future people will look at the story of the Titanic as just being a legend or a myth because there's no proof of it. Like most legends/myths nowadays.

DragonSlayer
02-06-09, 14:32

Maybe we could claim for it on mps expenses :p

violentblossom
02-06-09, 14:39

There's a big reason why this has not been done yet.. because those parts of the ship have been on the ocean floor for sooo long, they are now acclimated to that amount of pressure and the very cold temperature.

To bring those pieces to the surface would certainly result in disentegration.