PDA

View Full Version : New E-Mail Virus - Hoax or Not?

Changeling
01-06-09, 15:03
Okey-dokey people.

Earlier this week, I received an e-mail from my cousin. It was one of those "Please Forward!" e-mails and I assumed it was just going to be another chain-letter. I opened it up, and sure enough it was a chain-letter. It was about a virus that was apparantly going around and that if you received an e-mail from a certain address to not open it because it contains a virus that will hack into your computer. Sadly I deleted it because I didn't think it was true.

Today, I got an e-mail from the Windows Live Team called "Windows Live Warning!!!". I'm quite hesitant about opening this e-mail. The chain-letter said that the virus may come as a disguise as something from the Microsoft or Windows Team called "Routine Check-Up" or something like that. I thought the whole thing was just another way of scaring people into passing the e-mail on, but now that I've got this e-mail I'm not so sure... the only time I've ever had e-mails from the Windows Live Team is for special offers that I usually ignore. Plus, the Windows Live title in the subject has a little TM mark at the top, which I've never seen before.

So what do you think? Do you think this is actually true? Or is this just another hoax?

EDIT:
I just googled "Windows Live Team - Warning" and it seems other people have gotten this strange e-mail too... but my connection is running so slow at the moment that the pages aren't loading up for me.

Cochrane
01-06-09, 15:13
Ignore chain mails.
Don't open that "Windows Live" email.

OK, in more detail: Chain mails can report legitimate issues, but most of the time, they don't. In fact, a few of them have been found to be harmful.

However, no company will ever send such a warning email. If you are not a windows live user, trash this email immediatedly. Otherwise, check on the Windows live homepage whether anything unusual is going on. E-mails that are supposed to come from some source and warn you are usually fake and try to get you to reveal your username and password.

Legend Killer
01-06-09, 15:41
As a general rule if you think any message is suspicious you should Google or (insert your search engine of choice) it to look for more information. Better safe than sorry.