PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Thread - UP !

_Lam
01-06-09, 21:30
Hi everyone !

I wanted to make a thread about the best animation studios in the world in my opinion : Pixar.
Did you see UP ?!

http://bitcast-a.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/images/upfinal31house.jpg

I saw it yesterday and I would say it's one of the best 2009 movies, and probably the second best Pixar movie for me. It have everything a movie need to have, adult and child will love it. There was moments that were so funny that I couldn't stop to laugh, it's rare that those things happen to me ! The animation and graphism are mindblowing but was is the most incredible thing is how innovative and uncommon the story is. They have SO much imagination I just don't understand how can you think about things so cool !

Anyway, what are your favorite Pixar movie ? Mine are :

Toy Story 2
UP
Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo
Wall-E
Ratatouille
Toy Story
Cars
The Incredibles
A Bug's Life

But even if A Bug's Life is my least favorite Pixar film, I still think it's MILE better than ALL of the other animation movie that we have. For me, all of the Pixar's movie are perfect or near perfect. I just hope their next one won't be the one that will change the rule considering how great Pixar is doing right now !

TombRaiderLover
01-06-09, 21:34
Favourite: Toy Story
Least favourite: Cars

I adore Pixar, and I look forward to seeing Up. Unfortunately, it's not released until October in the UK, if I remember correctly.

Punaxe
01-06-09, 21:40
Don't forget their old shorts, like For The Birds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnX7V8eG8is) and most memorable of course, Luxo Jr.:

W1pVidZtnPE

Pixar used to make money by entering these short films into competitions. That's how they initially funded their bigger movie projects.

_Lam
01-06-09, 21:41
Don't forget their old shorts, like For The Birds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnX7V8eG8is) and most memorable of course, Luxo Jr.:

W1pVidZtnPE

Pixar used to make money by entering these short films into competitions. That's how they initially funded their bigger movie projects.

Yeah I remember !
Also, before Up, there's a new shorts and it is incredible ! ;)

EternoD
01-06-09, 21:52
uhm, i loved UP. it was kind of sad though, but i loved it! :hea:

Nenya awakens
01-06-09, 22:56
Finding Nemo

i think i cried when the mummy died!

violentblossom
01-06-09, 23:22
For the Birds!

<3 it.
wnX7V8eG8is

TRfan9294
02-06-09, 00:10
I really want to see UP!, it looks really funny.:) Hope I can see it soon.

lacryjr
02-06-09, 00:24
My favorite is:

Jack Jack Attack! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvlK9ou_K18)

Love it!

:}hello friend
02-06-09, 00:58
Finding Nemo was my favorite... Ellen did a fantastic job as Dory...
I think Bolt was Disney Pixar film... I didn't enjoy it much... Well perhaps I did'nt even watch it...I was talking :rolleyes:

That dog in the commercial is cute <3... "I love you"..."SQUIRREL?!?!!?!" xD...
I would like to see Up when it is in Theaters near me

_Lam
02-06-09, 01:10
Finding Nemo was my favorite... Ellen did a fantastic job as Dory...
I think Bolt was Disney Pixar film... I didn't enjoy it much... Well perhaps I did'nt even watch it...I was talking :rolleyes:

That dog in the commercial is cute <3... "I love you"..."SQUIRREL?!?!!?!" xD...
I would like to see Up when it is in Theaters near me

Bolt is published by Disney but it's not Pixar that made it, explaining why it's not that great.

;)

chobits743
02-06-09, 02:24
I loved UP, but it had sad parts. Me & my boyfriend cried our eyes out at certain parts of the movie, and laughed our heads off at other parts!

irjudd
02-06-09, 02:43
Easily Toy Story. But probably just because it gives me a nostalgic feeling, what with being a kid at the time of viewing it.

MattTR
02-06-09, 03:26
Favorite: Finding Nemo & Toy Story series

Last Favorite: Cars & The Incredibles

Just didn't feel the last two..

I want to see UP! Though.. maybe going to see it next weekend, heard it rocked! ;)

Jedd Fletcher
21-08-09, 06:23
Here's my review of Up. I just saw it and I liked it, but not as much as say The Incredibles or Wall-E.

Movie Review 21/8/09

UP
(2009)

Starring the voices of: Ed Asner, Jordan Nagai, Bob Peterson
Directed by: Pete Docter and Bob Peterson
Pixar Animation/Walt Disney Studios

Toys, insects, monsters, fish, superheroes, cars, rats and robots. And the star of Pixar Animation Studios’ latest film? A cantankerous septuagenarian. Can a grumpy old man carry an animated film, the first to open the Cannes Film Festival? I am among those who think that the genius animators and storytellers at Pixar can make anything work-to a certain extent, at least.

Carl Fredericksen (Asner) is an aging, widower balloon salesman whose beloved house is threatened by a construction company. The film’s prologue tells the story of how and 8-year-old Carl meets his future wife Ellie, both sharing an interest in the adventures of famed explorer Charles Muntz (Christopher Plummer). A montage sure to bring a tear to any eye shows the couple getting married and growing old together, working towards their dream of moving to Paradise Falls in South America, until Ellie passes away.

To keep his promise to Ellie to move to Paradise Falls, Carl creates a makeshift airship out of 10 000 helium balloons that lift his house off the ground. Carl, in his floating house is on his way until he discovers he has extra baggage in the form of an over-enthusiastic boy scout-type named Russell. Carl reluctantly lets Russell tag along, knowing he has no choice.

Surviving a violent storm, the two eventually make it to South America and attempt to walk to Paradise Falls, dragging the floating house along. On the way, they meet an exotic bird of paradise whom Russell nicknames “Kevin”, a talking Golden Retriever named Dug and Charles Muntz himself. However, mayhem ensues when Carl and Russell discover Muntz will do anything and everything to capture Kevin alive, having been previously called a fraud for bringing back a skeletal specimen of the bird.

Up’s greatest strength is its whimsical premise-a house carried into the sky by innumerable colourful, helium-filled balloons. The image of balloons emerging from under an unfurling tarp is awe-inspiring and beautifully-rendered, as is much of the movie.

Up is also undeniably a character piece. There is so much depth in the relationship between Carl and Ellie, even though it is told in 15 minutes and, for the most part, without dialogue. This whirlwind journey through the travails and simple joys of the 70 years they spend together is the film’s strongest portion.

A masterful balance has also been found in the characterization of almost everyone in the film. Audiences are able to laugh at Carl’s incessant grumpiness, but also sympathise with the hardship of losing his wife. Russell is endearing and not in the least irritating, as animated sidekicks can often be. Seven-year-old Jordan Nagai is perfectly cast as the rotund foil to Fredericksen. Bob Peterson, also the movie’s co-director, injects boundless energy into Dug, which makes for one of the most entertaining talking dogs in the cinematic history of talking dogs. Christopher Plummer also audibly relishes playing the stereotype, if only in voice, of the flamboyant adventurer with a Machiavellian streak.

The movie seems to hit all the right notes in combining plenty of delightful humour, moments of sadness, visual spectacle, an adventurous spirit and genuine peril-those heights are frighteningly realistic, especially in 3D, and there is plenty of dangling thousands of feet up in the air.

However, Up is not perfect, and despite its many positive points, is not Pixar’s best effort in my opinion. The first half of the film is noticeably better than the second; for all it’s worth the primary colours of the rainforest and fairly exciting chase sequences cannot outshine the heartfelt love story between Carl and Ellie.

Up is also admittedly far-fetched, and while every effort is made to ground the story, it just seems to float up and up and up. Portions of the film are a little too fantastical to be readily relatable to the audience. While the story is inventive, it is not as visionary or well-told as, say, Ratatouille or Finding Nemo. Even in terms of visual spectacle, Up doesn’t pack as much as Pixar’s action-packed superhero satire The Incredibles or WALL-E. The latter also has a slightly more endearing main character to carry the film.

All that said however, Up supercedes many mediocre animated films that cram too many pixels and not enough story into their 80-90 minutes. One can always expect more from Pixar, and despite its shortcomings, Up rises satisfyingly far above average.

3.5/5 STARS

Jedd Jong Yue

Girl - vamp
21-08-09, 07:06
It was pleasant. The old man because of loneliness has decided to go to long travel to the house, having adhered to it set of balloons. A cartoon film simply wonderful! I do not remember recently any cartoon film which would force to cry from affection, with sympathy, with laughter, with grief... And all in one bottle. Simply tremendous history - very touching and at the same time with surprising soft humour.

Squibbly
21-08-09, 08:46
I loved UP soooo much. I'm going to buy it for sure. It even made me teary at some parts, but laughing so much at others. :o