PDA

View Full Version : Another MP Resigns, End of Labour?

Jack Croft
03-06-09, 09:58
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6421599.ece

Hazel Blears resigns today, following on 3 other ministers over the last couple of days and also UK Home Sec. Jacqui Smith.

Gordon Brown must be feeling the pressure now ahead of upcoming elections, maybe a General Election soon?

An expected Cabinet reshuffle is to Axe Alistair Darling as well.

Mad Tony
03-06-09, 11:35
This getting sweeter and sweeter. Jacqui Smith standing down as home secretary, Hazel Blears resigning from the cabinet? This is all too good. Hopefully Gordon Brown will resign next. :D

Jack Croft
03-06-09, 11:47
This getting sweeter and sweeter. Jacqui Smith standing down as home secretary, Hazel Blears resigning from the cabinet? This is all too good. Hopefully Gordon Brown will resign next. :D

Imagine if he did, pure bliss but what clown would replace him?

Mad Tony
03-06-09, 12:02
Hopefully by a general election would've been called.

Jack Croft
03-06-09, 12:05
Hopefully by a general election would've been called.

Yeah, Im old enough to Vote but i cant be bothered, but i hope Conservative win local elections tomorrow were i live.

disneyprincess20
03-06-09, 12:55
Yeah, Im old enough to Vote but i cant be bothered, but i hope Conservative win local elections tomorrow were i live.

You should be bothered. People have died to safeguard your right to vote. The Suffragettes fought hard to gain the right to vote for all women, and good people died during the second world war to make sure future generations could live in a democracy. Even if you don't like the candidates, you should at least vote because you want to voice an opinion in your area. "Hoping" the Conservatives win is not going to bring about any change. I don't care who you vote for, but I strongly believe that we should exercise our right to vote because good, honest people died for our right, for the opportunity to vote.

Sorry, it's the one thing that pushes my buttons. Having a political opinion but not being "bothered" to go and vote.

Cochrane
03-06-09, 12:57
You should be bothered. People have died to safeguard your right to vote. The Suffragettes fought hard to gain the right to vote for all women, and good people died during the second world war to make sure future generations could live in a democracy. Even if you don't like the candidates, you should at least vote because you want to voice an opinion in your area. "Hoping" the Conservatives win is not going to bring about any change. I don't care who you vote for, but I strongly believe that we should exercise our right to vote because good, honest people died for our right, for the opportunity to vote.

Sorry, it's the one thing that pushes my buttons. having a political opinion but not being "bothered" to go and vote.

I'd like to add: If one does not like the options, then not voting at all is certainly preferable to voting for extremists out of frustration (like NPD in Germany and was it BNP in Britain?). But not voting just because you don't feel like it, that's not a good idea.

john_york
03-06-09, 13:02
I hope to god this means I don't ever have to see her smug, irritating face ever again.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00605/SNF0488SD_280_605633a.jpg

Ugh - couldn't you just punch her?!

disneyprincess20
03-06-09, 13:02
I'd like to add: If one does not like the options, then not voting at all is certainly preferable to voting for extremists out of frustration (like NPD in Germany and was it BNP in Britain?). But not voting just because you don't feel like it, that's not a good idea.

Yes, the BNP in Britain. You and your logical thoughts and posts, making me seem like a crazy lady!! :p

I hope to god this means I don't ever have to see her smug, irritating face ever again.

Ugh - couldn't you just punch her?!

Yes, hard.
She looks like a hamster that's been surprised by a rectal thermometer.
:pi:

Reggie
03-06-09, 14:06
The way I see it and this answers Cat's reply to my general election comment in the other thread - we need a general election so that WE can decide whether Labour is worth rescuing or not and judging from opinion polls it most certainly ISN'T. Why should we sit by idly and let Gordon cling on to the very last moment just for political gain when the country could end up suffering as the situation within the government continues to deteriorate? Its like Cameron just said, Brown should use the last bit of authority he has by going to the Queen and asking her to dissolve parliament. It is the only way - whether it is 'logistically difficult' or not. This is not just a matter of democratic principle but also a matter for the integrity of our political system and the state of our country today.

Orionvalentine
03-06-09, 14:14
Anybody want to vote Green Party?

john_york
03-06-09, 14:15
Anybody want to vote Green Party?

Possibly.

TRfan23
03-06-09, 16:58
I'd like to see whatever the next party gets voted in is up to. I get annoyed when Labour goes to incidences, like brown does and they always smile. So basically an earthquake happens, or a flood happens. Brown or anyone from Labour goes there, and they smile!

haha she looks like a squirrel, didn't people nick name her something to do with squirrel as of her name, and hair colour or something?

lararoxs
03-06-09, 17:00

I agree!:tmb: Yet didn't he say he isn't stepping down until he has too?:rolleyes:
Typical.

Anyway, something to amuse yourselves with:

Amusement (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8039273.stm)

The full list of all named and shamed MPs and their expenses claims. Yes. All of them!:)

Orionvalentine
04-06-09, 00:04
GORDON BROWN
Claim: The prime minister paid his brother, Andrew, 6,577 for arranging cleaning services for his Westminster flat for 26 months.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45760000/jpg/_45760499_abrown226_afp.jpg
Since reporting the arrangement, the Telegraph group has clarified that there "has never been any suggestion of any impropriety on the part of the Prime Minister or his brother".
Response: No 10 said the two shared a cleaner who worked in both their flats. Andrew Brown paid her and was reimbursed for his share of the cost. He did not do the cleaning himself or gain financially.
There was a formal contract for the arrangement, Downing Street sources add, stipulating the cleaner's hours of work and pay. The cleaner wanted to be paid by one person for National Insurance purposes.
Claim: Gordon Brown also claimed twice for the same plumbing work within six months of each other.
Response: The House of Commons Fees Office said the mistake had been inadvertent and apologised for having not spotted it. Gordon Brown is understood to have repaid the sum involved - believed to be 150.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

And the rest? WHATEVER! The must have stripped the other stuff out of that list. Look at him for god's sake, smarmy fat so and so.

lararoxs
04-06-09, 07:25
GORDON BROWN

And the rest? WHATEVER! The must have stripped the other stuff out of that list. Look at him for god's sake, smarmy fat so and so.

:vlol: I think you have just made my day, even though it has just started!:p

Jack Croft
04-06-09, 07:45
I would vote in General Elections, just not Local. :D

EDIT: BBC

However, with turnout at the last elections in 2004 at around 45%, many will be watching to see just how many actually go to the polls.

Alot of people dont vote.

stranger1992
04-06-09, 10:05
St.David Cameron was calling for an dissoloution of parliment to essentially get rid of Labour. Fingers crossed.

Larapink
04-06-09, 10:10
It's a shame what's happening in this country. :(

David Cameron what an idiot.

TRfan23
04-06-09, 10:46

Why's he an idiot?

Mad Tony
04-06-09, 15:29
Why's he an idiot?I was gonna ask the same question. :confused:

Jack Croft
04-06-09, 15:33
David Cameron >>>>> Gordon Brown

Gordon was not even elected!

Chocola teapot
04-06-09, 16:39
oof... :( So is the "end of labour" a good or bad thing for our economy...?

scoopy_loopy
04-06-09, 16:44
oof... :( So is the "end of labour" a good or bad thing for our economy...?

Somewhat offtopic but, God I wish it was the end of labour for Australia.

Putting the country 300 Billion dollars in debt, in 18 months, when before they were elected we were debt free... and in a very, very healthy budget surplus is just not cool.

jackles
04-06-09, 17:01
Very few MP's are 'clean' from any side and there should be an all party shake up. I don't believe that the Conservatives are a better governing prospect, and they took us into Europe in the first place which is something that most Euro sceptics seem to forget. Each of the three 'big' parties seem tainted by what has happened.

Jack Croft
04-06-09, 17:46

Putting the country 300 Billion dollars in debt, in 18 months, when before they were elected we were debt free... and in a very, very healthy budget surplus is just not cool.

Wow, did not know Oz had such big debts, election anytime soon?

scoopy_loopy
04-06-09, 17:50
Wow, did not know Oz had such big debts, election anytime soon?

Im not sure when the next Federal election will be. And our last government (The liberal party) cleaned up the last of our debt from the last time we had a labour government. So we were squeaky clean :D (And America owed us, like big time. Gotta love that strong Aussie dollar!)

Rudd, the new PM. Spent over 300 Billion in 18 months. Reduced the surplus to nothing, and continued spending.

Pretty much, thats him spending 16 666 666 667AUD a Month. Or 555 555 556AUD (279 042 496 Sterling) a day, since he was elected.

Stupid, stupid spending.

GORDON BROWN
Claim: The prime minister paid his brother, Andrew, 6,577 for arranging cleaning services for his Westminster flat for 26 months.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45760000/jpg/_45760499_abrown226_afp.jpg
Since reporting the arrangement, the Telegraph group has clarified that there "has never been any suggestion of any impropriety on the part of the Prime Minister or his brother".
Response: No 10 said the two shared a cleaner who worked in both their flats. Andrew Brown paid her and was reimbursed for his share of the cost. He did not do the cleaning himself or gain financially.
There was a formal contract for the arrangement, Downing Street sources add, stipulating the cleaner's hours of work and pay. The cleaner wanted to be paid by one person for National Insurance purposes.
Claim: Gordon Brown also claimed twice for the same plumbing work within six months of each other.
Response: The House of Commons Fees Office said the mistake had been inadvertent and apologised for having not spotted it. Gordon Brown is understood to have repaid the sum involved - believed to be 150.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ugh, doesnt that look on his face make you just want to punch him?

Look, they were made for each other!
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/images/KevinRudd_Getty_400.jpghttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45760000/jpg/_45760499_abrown226_afp.jpg

Just looking at them makes me angry!

Mad Tony
04-06-09, 18:17
oof... :( So is the "end of labour" a good or bad thing for our economy...?Good :jmp:

Putting the country 300 Billion dollars in debt, in 18 months, when before they were elected we were debt free... and in a very, very healthy budget surplus is just not cool.I recall my dad telling me that the Australian government just gave out hundreds of dollars to everyone instead of investing in things like healthcare and education.

Lol, that picture of Kevin Rudd reminds me of Hitler :p

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00681/adolf-hitler-joke-4_681576c.jpg

scoopy_loopy
04-06-09, 18:22
Good :jmp:

I recall my dad telling me that the Australian government just gave out hundreds of dollars to everyone instead of investing in things like healthcare and education.

Lol, that picture of Kevin Rudd reminds me of Hitler :p

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00681/adolf-hitler-joke-4_681576c.jpg

Yep, most of us were given $950 +
Total waste of money, Australians are still spending, and never did stop spending, money in the retail sector.

Agent 47
04-06-09, 18:23

and why's that then?

he has a point,if Gordon Brown has an once of integrity he will indeed pay a visit to Liz Windsor and request dissolving of parliament.

Mad Tony
04-06-09, 18:31
Yep, most of us were given $950 +
Total waste of money, Australians are still spending, and never did stop spending, money in the retail sector.Indeed. You don't stimulate the economy by just giving out money. Also, what kind of message does that send to the people?

I was doing vote telling for the Conservatives earlier and I noticed that there are a lot of people who seem to be dissatisfied with all of the three major parties. I really wouldn't be surprised if some of the small parties made some big gains today.

scoopy_loopy
04-06-09, 18:41
Indeed. You don't stimulate the economy by just giving out money. Also, what kind of message does that send to the people?

Not a good one, really.

I was doing vote telling earlier and I noticed that there are a lot of people who seem to be dissatisfied with all of the three major parties. I really wouldn't be surprised if some of the small parties made some big gains today.

I think the same thing will happen here next election. People are dissatified with the ALP, Kevin Rudd, but there's really no other high contendors. I dont even know who the other leaders are :p Rudd will most likely be re-elected on that basis alone. Its him, or the Greens (Who's leader is kinda cool, in a kooky way :D But wont be good for running a nation) or those scary Family First people.... The leader of the Opposition will need a massive ad compaign to be noticed by the general public (mostly because most Aussies dont give a **** about politicians, but we're content to complain about whatever they do anyway)

Mad Tony
04-06-09, 21:20
Third cabinet minister resigns

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8083585.stm

Agent 47
04-06-09, 21:28

might be a good idea to watch Question Time with Dimbleby in about 5 minutes :D

scoopy_loopy
04-06-09, 21:39
Omg, Britians political system has turned into a reality tv drama.

lararoxs
04-06-09, 22:39
Omg, Britians political system has turned into a reality tv drama.

Watch Question Time, that's when it all goes live!:D:p

scoopy_loopy
04-06-09, 22:45
Watch Question Time, that's when it all goes live!:D:p

:vlol: Oh I wish I could. But as soon as I get this crappy Deutsch assignment done and dusted, Im going to pass out :)

Ill youtube it though, I love politics when it gets nasty like this. Reminds me of when the Treasurer of the opposition tore KRudd a new hole, I was literally loling.

IceColdLaraCroft
04-06-09, 22:51
Wigs won't run the UK. Over my dead body! bloody drag queens

scoopy_loopy
04-06-09, 23:02
Wigs won't run the UK. Over my dead body! bloody drag queens

I love the wigs and the robes! I always see lawyer's pacing around the CBD all dressed up, its well Victorian Era 'innit?

Jack Croft
05-06-09, 06:54

Wow, Gordon Brown resign now! PLease :ton:

disneyprincess20
05-06-09, 08:32
Labour took an absolute kicking in my area today, as the Lib Dems and the Conservatives took more seats and pushed Labour into 3rd place. The Lib Dems now lead our local coucil for the first time ever. Although it's not who I voted for, I'm glad someone other than Labour won in my council. This local election has solidified the claim the Lib Dems had over running the council after Labour stepped down (http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/Lib-Dems-Bristol-City-Council/article-724759-detail/article.html) earlier in the year, as they had before. At least the Lib Dems will do something other than moan that it's too difficult!

Mad Tony
08-06-09, 15:29
Environment minister quits from Gordon Brown's cabinet in protest over his leadership :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8088862.stm

scoopy_loopy
08-06-09, 15:30
Environment minister quits from Gordon Brown's cabinet in protest over his leadership :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8088862.stm

Bahahahahahaha, Gordon Brown is a joke.

disneyprincess20
08-06-09, 15:46
El Reg (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/08/lolprats/) has a series of 'lolprats' about Gordon and David Cameron. They'll also be accepting entries all week.

Jack Croft
08-06-09, 15:51
Gordon Brown needs to go NOW.

Spong
08-06-09, 16:36
Don't care who runs this country, I've never voted and never will. What's so wrong with Gordon Brown? Like any of the other idiots like David Cameron could do any better.

TRfan23
08-06-09, 16:53
Why's some people saying David Cameron's an idiot, when he hasn't even yet been Prime minister of this country!? No one knows what he's gonna be like!

Mad Tony
08-06-09, 16:53
Don't care who runs this country, I've never voted and never will. What's so wrong with Gordon Brown? Like any of the other idiots like David Cameron could do any better.I think what's right with him would be a better question. Even members of his own party are rebelling against him. What's wrong with David Cameron though? I remember somebody in this thread saying something similar before.

Spong
08-06-09, 17:16
What's wrong with David Cameron though? I remember somebody in this thread saying something similar before.

I must admit my opinion was somewhat plagiarised from my friend who hates David Cameron for his smarmy attitude (something I agree with, he always looks smug). And according to my friend Cameron's still wet behind the ears too. If the Conservatives win the next election and he takes over I wouldn't really care personally, they're all just as bad as each other in my eyes.

There's only one person I'd vote for and that's Jeremy Clarkson.

Mad Tony
08-06-09, 17:22
I must admit my opinion was somewhat plagiarised from my friend who hates David Cameron for his smarmy attitude (something I agree with, he always looks smug). And according to my friend Cameron's still wet behind the ears too. If the Conservatives win the next election and he takes over I wouldn't really care personally, they're all just as bad as each other in my eyes.So your opinion on him had nothing to do with his policies, it's merely just your perception of his attitude and gossip you've heard?

Personally I think this whole "they're all as bad as each other" attitude is exactly what got the BNP their seats. Really, what factual basis do you have to make this claim?

Spong
08-06-09, 17:40
As much as I hate politics and think the whole idea of government is archaic, I watch a lot of coverage on BBC News24 and BBC Parliament (it's more entertaining than endless repeats), so I know something about the subject. And all it does is encourage me not to vote. The major parties have no distinguishing features, their policies (what I know of them) are completely generic and contain no differences.

As for why Nick Griffin got in as an MEP, to me, it's just another sign of how the electorate grows ever more uninterested in voting for a governing power. What with all the crap about MP expenses (which I don't understand what people are complaining about), it seems to me as though people just don't care any more. It doesn't matter who you vote for, they're all in it for themselves.

Mad Tony
08-06-09, 18:05
As much as I hate politics and think the whole idea of government is archaic, I watch a lot of coverage on BBC News24 and BBC Parliament (it's more entertaining than endless repeats), so I know something about the subject. And all it does is encourage me not to vote. The major parties have no distinguishing features, their policies (what I know of them) are completely generic and contain no differences.

As for why Nick Griffin got in as an MEP, to me, it's just another sign of how the electorate grows ever more uninterested in voting for a governing power. What with all the crap about MP expenses (which I don't understand what people are complaining about), it seems to me as though people just don't care any more. It doesn't matter who you vote for, they're all in it for themselves.So, if the idea of government is so archaic, how else do you suggest a country should be run?

As for this "they're all in it for themselves", how do you know that? Sure, some definitely are but saying they're all in it for themselves is a very big statement to make without some factual evidence. Might I add that the expenses scandal didn't involve all, or even most of the MPs. I find it odd how you're sitting there complaining about how they're in it for themselves yet you've never even voted. Instead of just complaining about it, why not actually do something like vote for a smaller candidate who you feel would do better? Or perhaps run for parliament?

Spong
08-06-09, 18:16
I don't vote because I don't want people I don't trust running my life. I'd only vote if there was a "none of the above" option on the ballot paper. That's what I call democracy. But it ain't gonna happen.

Anne Boleyn
09-06-09, 00:36
As disgusted as I am with the scandals which have emerged about these grasping, thieving, cheating politicians, I detest the ways in which Cameron is using it to put the proverbial boot into Gordon Brown; if anything, the expenses claimed by the Conservatives are even more appalling - moats, duck islands, imaginary second homes! Yes, it's all very well to criticise the 'system' now that its excesses have been revealed to the public, but how stupid do these shysters think we are to believe that none of it was the fault of the greed of politicians?! As the wonderful Paul Merton remarked, it is very much akin to saying, 'This swimming pool is full of **** - therefore, all swimming pools are a bad idea!' rather than 'We've ****ed in this swimming pool!'. Quite astute!

Another thing to consider - just HOW long has this being going on?! Thatcher introduced the expenses system, as far as I know, and I feel certain there are all kinds of ripoffs about which we'll never know.

One thing is clear - the sleaze must go - the thieves must stand down NOW rather than later, and the whole of the House needs a damned good clearout. We must be wary, though, of who we let in...

Spong
09-06-09, 01:09
^^I agree with what you say about David Cameron. His reactionary nature is what makes me perceive him as nothing more than a smug git. Since he's been around I've seen him do nothing off his own back. everything he does, all his policies, seem to be knee-jerk reflexes to whatever it is the Labour Party are dealing with this week.

As for the expenses thing, I'm more lenient. I don't see what people are complaining about. If I was given the opportunity to claim free money I'd jump at it and to hell with everyone else. I don't think it's right for politicians to be chastised for simply being human.

harryterms
09-06-09, 12:45
I don't vote because I don't want people I don't trust running my life. I'd only vote if there was a "none of the above" option on the ballot paper. That's what I call democracy. But it ain't gonna happen.

I am voting None of the above in the next election:

NOTA (None Of The Above) exists to advocate, promote and facilitate the principle of the positive abstention facility on ballot papers in future general elections. This is based on the following principle;

*Legitimate consent requires for that consent to be capable of being withheld. Therefore, if legitimate consent is to exist in elections, the electorate needs a mechanism to facilitate the withholding of their consent.

*NOTA was registered as a political party on the 2nd March 2009.

NOTA will act as a political Franchiser. Since politicians will not permit None of the Above on the ballot paper NOTA will act as the repository for all those who wish to vote for 'None of the Above'. Any person or group of people wishing to organise a NOTA candidate can do so. NOTA only condition is that the chosen Candidate receives 20 nominations from fellow constituents. It is hoped that NOTA can field a full slate of candidates in the next General Election and contest future by-elections. Each candidate will stand in order to facilitate the option of None of the Above for those members of the electorate who would otherwise not vote . Should any NOTA candidate receive the most votes, they would, within a practicable time, resign their seat invoking a by-election in which they would stand again. A by-election would be less expensive than an unwanted and unsuitable representative. Should the NOTA candidate be re-elected they would take up their position campaigning for the positive abstention facility and serving all of their constituents for the duration of the Parliament.