PDA

View Full Version : Media Work: Alien/Aliens

remote91
03-06-09, 13:22
Can anyone that likes the films 'Alien' and 'Aliens' post me their own opinion on Ripley as a character and how you think she compares to the other males and females in the first 2 films?

I need quotes from people as part of my primary research :D

irjudd
03-06-09, 13:29
Ripley is the queen of asskickery in the asskickingest way because she kicks so much ass.

digitizedboy
03-06-09, 13:34
"Get away from her, you *****!!"

She definitely makes the most rememberable quotes in the series of movies. :D

remote91
04-06-09, 01:00
Anymore opinions shared would be great :D

Tyrannosaurus
04-06-09, 02:20
Can anyone that likes the films 'Alien' and 'Aliens' post me their own opinion on Ripley as a character and how you think she compares to the other males and females in the first 2 films?

I need quotes from people as part of my primary research :D

You might find Roger Ebert's analysis useful:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031026/REVIEWS08/310260301/1023

It is of interesting note that in the original script for Alien, the authors both suggested to the studio that any two of the seven principle characters could be re-written as a woman if they liked, though neither anticipated that this would be done with Ripley. Like Lara, Ripley was meant to be a man in the initial stages of development.

The original film is a true science fiction movie about its idea. This is a movie about what, not who. It is strongly written, but in the sense that a taught thriller or pulp science fiction short story should be. What was important in casting was to bring reliable actors into the film who could lend utter believability to the situation and characters.

Ripley here, second in command of the ship, is determined, practical, and succinct. She is a fighter, not an explorer or an intellectual. She belongs to the "Crusader" archetype, which is where we find most of our great cynical, gutsy heroines who take matters into their own hands and wage war against whatever stands in their way. They range from Joan of Arc to Lara Croft, and Ripley is another fine example.

The script of Aliens takes a different approach from the first film in the respect that it is completely character-driven, but it's main strength is the consistency it has with the first film in Ripley's characterization. Sigourney Weaver was too skeptical about reprising her role until she read James Cameron's script, which she aptly said, is about Ripley. The first film was about the alien, and from this point onward, the series became about the character instead, for good or ill.

This movie also introduced (in the director's cut version, at least), Ripley's past, and gave her a daughter who died of old age before Ripley could complete her journey home. While she doesn't need to have this development happen to her in order to sympathize with Newt and let her maternal instincts take over, it nonetheless adds interesting subtext to her final confrontation with the alien queen, because it is quite clear at that point that this is a battle between two mothers who have both lost their children.

How does Ripley compare to the other characters? Is there any particular reason why she survives while the others don't? Characters who represent scientific interest are generally distrusted by her (Ash, Bishop, Burke, etc.), while in fellow warriors (Hicks, Vasquez, etc.) Ripley finds solid companions. While her fear and vulnerability are still plainly visible to us, she is able to control them and usefully manage the other characters who have lost their cool (like Lambert and Hudson). They're all in the same boat, and Ripley recognizes that they all have value. She isn't a very good diplomat, though, especially if you suggest the company may be right, or that the alien/s shouldn't be killed.

I'd say keep the alien alive, too, but in Hollywood, we love to send the terrifying message into outer space that we hate extraterrestrials and will destroy them should we ever meet.

remote91
04-06-09, 11:49
^That is extremely useful. Thank you!