PDA

View Full Version : Guitar or bass? And how to get in the music industry?

~*~Chloe~*~
04-06-09, 14:48
I've always dreamed of being in a band, but up until recently when I discovered Guitar Hero I thought it was just a dream...and I wasnt good enough. Now I play on being in a successful rock band. But I have 3 questions on how to make it work.

1. Work a female work better as a Guitarist or Bassist?
2. Would it be best to have an all girl band or be the only female in a male band.
3. Where can I find members?

Please dont tell me to dream on, and that its not gonna happen - that's not why I made this post!

Minty Mouth
04-06-09, 14:52
Okay....so you play Guitar Hero, and you think that means you will be able to play the actual instrument well? I think you are under some disillusions as to how hard it is to learn a musical instrument properly.

However, If I have misunderstood you, and you can already play, your first 2 questions are both irrellevant. Play what you enjoy more. It doesnt matter about the members being girls or boys either, just find people with the same dream as you ;)

If you go into a band hoping for fame and sucess, you are unlikely to find it, and are probably in it for the wrong reasons. You should be a musician first and foremost. Success comes second, if you are passionate about it, it wont even matter.

Rai
04-06-09, 14:54
1, I have no idea, sorry.
2, This should be your personal choice, whatever you feel most comfortable with.
3, Do you have friends who are musically minded and may want in on a band? You could try advertising in a newspaper. You could ask your newsagent to get in Stage newspaper and see if anyone is auditioning for a guitarist.

If this is really something you wish to pursue then good luck! :)

~*~Chloe~*~
04-06-09, 14:57
Okay....so you play Guitar Hero, and you think that means you will be able to play the actual instrument well? I think you are under some disillusions as to how hard it is to learn a musical instrument properly.

However, If I have misunderstood you, and you can already play, your first 2 questions are both irrellevant. Play what you enjoy more. It doesnt matter about the members being girls or boys either, just find people with the same dream as you ;)
No I forgot to mention, I used to play guitar and picked it up very easily. I have musical blood, a lot of time on my hands and a heck load of determination!

Minty Mouth
04-06-09, 15:00
No I forgot to mention, I used to play guitar and picked it up very easily. I have musical blood, a lot of time on my hands and a heck load of determination!

In that case I see no reason you shouldnt be able to start a band :). Do your friends have the same ambition as you? Just find people that you will enjoy playing with. Thats the best advice I can give :)

adventurerLara
04-06-09, 15:03
I don't know much about the music industry, but I can imagine how hard it is to get noticed. Saying that, if you work really hard and put a lot of work in, it should pay off:)

Joely-Moley
04-06-09, 15:23
Well, it's down to what you prefer really. I don't think it makes a difference with what instrument you play, just what you enjoy. I also don't think what gender you are or what gender the other members are should be much of a focus point for you.

I'm am a bassist and can say I found it easier to learn because I could already play guitar. However, your timing with playing bass is really important, even more important that guitarists.

It's certainly very possible to have a successful career in the industry, but it depends on what your expectations are. If you are expecting world domination and to make millions then that might be a bit out there, but there are many smaller musicians out there that can make an alright living.

It takes dedication and a lot of stress and hard work, not to mention time but it's very possible.
Though really even if you don't make a career out of it, you can do it for fun and a hobby. I think enjoying it, and not worrying about if you are going to 'make it' is really important.

As for finding band mates, do you have any friends that play instruments?

If not, there's a Uk website called Partysounds (http://partysounds.co.uk/) which is pretty good It's basiclly a classified website with people in similar situation as yourself looking for band mates, you can make your own advert as well.

Nannonxyay
04-06-09, 16:59
With the whole all girl or only one girl thing. I don't think gender really matters, but people in the music industry may try to change your band if you sign up with the wrong sort of label.

They'll try and change you into something your not and probably try to make you drop members if they're not what they think will sell music. (Basically they're shallow *******s who only go for looks.) So I think you should really think about signing on with a good record label in the future who care more about the music. :)

Why not have a mixed gender band? I know plenty of bands which have female and male members. One of my favourite bands have two girls (bass and drums), and two guys (guitar and vocals.) But the instruments do not matter, any gender can play any instrument, as long as they are determined and ready to go. :)

~*~Chloe~*~
05-06-09, 14:45
Thanks for the help. I also have 2 more questions. I'm left handed, if I buy a normal guitar will this be a problem? And also, I'm having trouble thinking of a stage surname. Can anybody think of any ideas?

Bongo Fury
05-06-09, 22:13
I'm left handed, if I buy a normal guitar will this be a problem?
I'm lefty and I must say that lefty + guitar = many conundrums. I'm assuming you are talking electric but If you want to play a righthand guitar lefty it can be relatively simple or a lot of work depending on the design of the guitar you are trying to convert. Your life will be a lot easier if you like fender guitars. IMHO though, if you are going to play lefty best to look for a good lefthand guitar to begin with otherwise learn to play righty straight from the outset.

CroftGameGirl
05-06-09, 22:18
I think it's best on choosing which which one you feel comfortable with :) ( bass or guitar) I play both and they are quite different. They require very different things. Which one of those did/do you play? Or do you play both?
P.S: Of course we wouldn't tell you to dream on. Why would we?? :hug:

Culprit
05-06-09, 23:02
well i know a bit about music inustry
it doesnt matter if you play bass or guitar
it should be your opinion
well to the second
i just can tell
there are band having one, two, three or 4 of five members
beeing female
so it doesn't matter if you are male or female
it's all about the music and the idears and how good you are
and how good your music sounds
should not sound to empty ect ect :D
well it also depends on what sort of music you exactly want to do
i know one or two bands who are quite famouse
not the big rockstars but a bit bigger band
and so i got to know all this

to find members is a good question
me and my best friend we want to do a rock/metal/rock male and female voices band
but we already searched for
oh i guess 2 years but we can'T find any member

you should write it down onto bandbords or something like that ^^

Benguitar
05-06-09, 23:32
Bass - 4 strings but a lot thicker and harder to fret
Guitar - 6 strings but a fatter neck

No it doesn't matter if you're a guitarist or a bass player, nor does it matter if you're the only female in the male band. You will however have to convince them that you're amazing at the instrument that you play.

The music business is :cen: up now-a-days, and it EXTREMELY hard to get into. I can only recommend, 1 if you make a band, play music that the majority of consumers want to hear. (There isn't any room for another Nine Inch Nails, instead go with Pop), 2 if you want to play for many different bands, learn a wide a range of genres' as you can. That's why I play Pop, Metal, Punk, Rock, Blues, etc.

You find members by going to online music websites, "Like TRF but for musicians" and/or going to your school and asking around or whatever.

I hate to say it, but if you've never played anything more than Rock Band and Guitar Hero, You've got a LONG ways to go. "Those are virtual, this is the real world now sister, dog eat dog and you have to be very experienced and at the top of your game 24/7 because if you're not you will be replaced in a blink of an eye."

Also, the smaller/no ego you have the better.

Encore
05-06-09, 23:39
If you go into a band hoping for fame and sucess, you are unlikely to find it, and are probably in it for the wrong reasons. You should be a musician first and foremost. Success comes second, if you are passionate about it, it wont even matter.

I don't think this is true.... If you want fame and success there's always a way to find it too, just find a good producer and make really popular mainstreamy music and you're set to go. :p

Higgy531
27-08-09, 21:12
2. Would it be best to have an all girl band or be the only female in a male band.

1. Either way is cool.
2. I like the second choice better: http://www.thedeadweather.com/images/TheDeadWeather.jpg
3. I wouldn't know....

miss.haggard
27-08-09, 21:44

AH-GREED. But if you are asking which instrument to play, go for bass first, its easier, and will lead you into playing guitar. To find members, put an ad in the paper! Make it funny, and show your personality so you know that people who show up have your same sense of humor.

*richietrent*
27-08-09, 22:09
Try and book time in a recording studio once ya ready to do so, like once ya got a groups setup, and know what your goals are!

aileenwuornos
28-08-09, 03:22
I've always dreamed of being in a band, but up until recently when I discovered Guitar Hero I thought it was just a dream...and I wasnt good enough. Now I play on being in a successful rock band. But I have 3 questions on how to make it work.

Please dont tell me to dream on, and that its not gonna happen - that's not why I made this post!

1. Learn to play an actual instrument. Let me tell you, I've played guitar & bass for eight years, drums for at least ten, cello for eleven and I've been singing all my life and guitar hero =/= real instrument. That should be your first and foremost priority.

2. Practice chosen instrument forever and a day. You will never know everything about it. I've been playing music nearly all my short twenty years but I still have the infinite to learn.

3. The genitalia one possesses does NOT have ANYTHING to do with musical ability.

4. Who's in your band is not important, what is important is - what kind of music do you want to play, how long have you and your other members been playing, how often are you going to practice your songs? how often are you going to spend time on writing material?

5. To find band members check your local music street press. Where I live I am lucky and we have a street magazine called X Press (http://www.xpressmag.com.au/), which has classifieds for bands looking for members, and members looking for bands. Great place to start. Alternatively, people you know might play.

6. You might have small local booking agents in your area, you might not. Check myspace for example - I have a mate who runs his own band managing/ booking agent for local music called Tyranocorp (http://www.myspace.com/kingofthevultures) - these sort of people love to see local music thrive.

Of course, certain limitations come into effect from here on in. Such as, is your music actually good? Can you play in front of a live crowd? If the answer is yes, you may find an easier time, but it will still be difficult. Most famous musicians are in the right place at the right time, and there's not a lot you can do about it. But stay focused, stay determined, keep practicing and don't get sucked into the Rock n' Roll lifestyle for too long (excessive partying can have negative health effects, unfortunately)

If you want to know more, please PM me, my parents own a couple of nightclubs so I know a bit about getting into the music industry. :)

Best of luck, rock on love :)

Chocola teapot
28-08-09, 03:28

I love the determination, That Is most deffinately needed for a band! :) Never stop chasing this dream!

1. Either, Guitarist is so cool though! :D
2. Option two.
3.All over, Post adds around, look in the yellow pages, The internet! Trust me, there are plently of places to look! :D

:tmb:

Drone
28-08-09, 04:12

1. I've seen so many female bass players. More than guitar players. You can try too..
2. Yes I think if you're a girl it's better to make a girl band
3. Try to find people who love your music style. Try forums, festivals ... anything

SpongeBob Lover
28-08-09, 04:14
What do you love more? It depends, when you hear music, do you enjoy the guitar or the bass?
When learning instruments, guitar is usually about have speed in your fingers. With bass, its usually strength within the fingers because the strings on a bass are way more thicker. You have to have a passion to learn these instruments because people get bored really fast because they can't shred or sweep as they have seen other guitar/bass players do. To become a great bass/guitar player it can take up to 2-5 years. Don't give up, its good to start at a young age playing an instrument. Great skills take time, any person who plays an instrument knows that.

It would be more popular if you were in an all female band because females usually don't play any instuments, but it would not be bad playing in a band full of males. Girls who play an instrument usually get more attention(depending on skill) thats why an all female band would gain more attention and publicity.

Its hard to find members(especially females), you want to find members that like the same music as you and members that are your friends because if your in a band or group with people you dont really talk to, it will be difficult to communicate and the band will fall apart. Maybe you can even ask your close friends to play some instruments. You don't really want to be in a band full of strangers anyways.

I play bass, and i am in an all female metal band. So im speaking from experience :wve:

TRhalloween
28-08-09, 05:06
I wonder if Chloe is still actually interested :confused:

rowanlim
28-08-09, 11:42

1. A female can work fine in either. Though one has to be good in the guitar before moving to the bass.

2. That depends on what kind of image you want to project & the music you want to make. A band succeeds because there's chemistry & dedication.

3. You could try checking out local music events to find other people interested in music like you. An audition is another option.