PDA

View Full Version : Holland

Chocola teapot
05-06-09, 15:48
Planning to go to holland next year, I have already been once it was lovely.
Is anyone from the Netherlands or has anone been to the Nertherlands and would like to recomend where to visit? Well the obvious choice is Amsterdam but I would like to go to gouda.

Well any suggestions?

Punaxe
05-06-09, 15:53
I'm from the Netherlands, but not very knowledgeable of the tourist attractions... :p

This site (http://eropuit.nl/) maintains a list of all things to be done and seen in the country, unfortunately it's in Dutch, but if you tell me what sort of thing you're looking for perhaps I translate for you what it recommends. :o

NemesisxAngelus
05-06-09, 15:54
Why would you like to visit Gouda, is it because of the massive "stroopwafels" we have there? :cln:

Chocola teapot
05-06-09, 16:01
^Because that's where my favourite type of cheese was invented and because of the Museum De Verborgen Tijd. what do you mean: stroopwafels??
And thankyou punaxe, If I need assistance I shall ask you.

Cochrane
05-06-09, 16:02
Maastricht seems like a nice town, and if you're there you can also pay a visit to Ličge (Belgium) and Aachen (Germany) as well... I'm afraid I don't know too much about the Netherlands other than that, I should go there more often I think.

Chocola teapot
05-06-09, 16:03
Oh, thankyou :)

MiCkiZ88
05-06-09, 16:07
I've lived in the Hague for over 6 months now and so far I love it. The beach, the city and the nature are all rather nice compared to some other towns/cities. Rotterdam is also rather nice, but I prefer it here. :) The Hague isn't too far from Schiphol airport. Actually rather close.

Haven't been to Amsterdam yet, but might go there soon for a short visit.

Love2Raid
05-06-09, 17:04
Make sure to visit all of the bigger musea and most of the cities. But the small villages are also very nice.
And oh yeah, there is this place called īMadurodamī, I think itīs in Den Haag (The Hague) or somewhere near it..:confused: Anyway, they have rebuilt all of the important sites in the country in miniature form. Really nice to see it once. The beach is also very nice. Oh and Walibi World in Biddinghuizen (Flevoland) is also the place to be. :cool:

:)

Elmer
05-06-09, 17:09
I'm from the Netherlands too:) So maybe I can help:)
Rotterdam isn't such a nice city in my opinion... it's so big, and it is said that the train station isn't safe there.
The buildings there are almost all modern and lack character... (I don't live there, so I haven't seen all of Rotterdam, but for what I have seen, I'm not so fond of it.)
Maastricht is a very nice city indeed, and one thing I'd like to visit is the Domtoren in Utrecht:) It's a very high and beautiful tower, it was once part of a enormous church, but the nave collapsed and only the tower, a part of the transept and the choir remains.
You can go all the way up into the tower! (What I really want to do one day!:)

I hope you'll have a nice time here in Holland!:)

adventurerLara
05-06-09, 17:30
Can I just ask, Holland is an alternative name for the Netherlands correct, like United Kingdom/Great Britain?

Chillebanaan
05-06-09, 17:35
Maastricht they have great shops ,game shop

Punaxe
05-06-09, 18:42
Make sure to visit all of the bigger musea and most of the cities. But the small villages are also very nice.
And oh yeah, there is this place called īMadurodamī, I think itīs in Den Haag (The Hague) or somewhere near it..:confused: Anyway, they have rebuilt all of the important sites in the country in miniature form. Really nice to see it once. The beach is also very nice. Oh and Walibi World in Biddinghuizen (Flevoland) is also the place to be. :cool:

:)

Particularly the Rijksmuseum (http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/) is great, but it's currently being rebuilt so not the entire collection is available. However, you'll still need a few hours to see all the highlights that are still exhibited.

I would recommend going to see those cities/towns that sport a typically (old) Dutch atmosphere... Select "Steden en dorpen" under "Wat wil je doen?" on eropuit.nl :p

Can I just ask, Holland is an alternative name for the Netherlands correct, like United Kingdom/Great Britain?

Yeah, the Netherlands is the official spelling, as Holland is actually just a province within the Netherlands, but it's indeed accepted as alternative to "the Netherlands".

adventurerLara
05-06-09, 18:45
Yeah, the Netherlands is the official spelling, as Holland is actually just a province within the Netherlands, but it's indeed accepted as alternative to "the Netherlands".

Ok, thanks:)