PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Person Who Ever Lived?

TombRaiderLover
07-06-09, 20:53
I'm doing a project in English concerning my choice of "The Greatest Person Who Ever Lived?" The status is generally defined by someone who has had a major influence (for the better) on the world. I was thinking of William Gilbert, a physician who discovered electricity, but I'm not too sure. So, who would you consider to be the greatest person who ever lived?

BlackRainbow
07-06-09, 20:55
Um, that's a really hard one... Jesus? :D Although he still lives.

stereopathic
07-06-09, 20:55
as far as what's done the most for humanity, IMHO the answer has to be antibiodics. so maybe Alexander Flemming?

Hannibal was probably the world's biggest badass ever. but that's prolly not the answer you're looking for. :D

Joely-Moley
07-06-09, 20:56
...me :p

BlackRainbow
07-06-09, 20:56
^:vlol:

Nannonxyay
07-06-09, 21:05
Edward Cullen, because "Oh mah gawd! He is lyk the sexiest, sparkly vegetarian vampire in da wooorld. I loooove him. I don't care if he's not real. He is SEXY. :cln::jmp::cln:" :p

Jokes aside... I think I am the greatest person who ever lived. :D

Nerd For Life
07-06-09, 21:05
Edward Cullen, because "Oh mah gawd! He is lyk the sexiest, sparkly vegetarian vampire in da wooorld. I loooove him. I don't care if he's not real. He is SEXY. :cln::jmp::cln:" :p

Jokes aside... I think I am the greatest person who ever lived. :D

:vlol:

I say... THE JOKER!!!!!!!

January_Snow*
07-06-09, 21:06
Nikola Tesla, he descovered elecric power, withouth him ther wouldnt be a world that we know of today =)))))

laralover_07
07-06-09, 21:08
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/image.php?u=7&dateline=1230506422

EgyptianSoul
07-06-09, 21:08
I don't think anyone's the greatest. People are people, each with their own flaws and I wouldn't put anybody above the rest of us. We're all just human.

Not really helpful, sorry. Stating my opinion.

TombRaiderLover
07-06-09, 21:09
I don't think anyone's the greatest. People are people, each with their own flaws and I would put anybody above the rest of us. We're all just human.

I wonder if I'd get a good grade if that was my answer . . . :p

Aurelien52
07-06-09, 21:09
Lord Penguin !

EgyptianSoul
07-06-09, 21:10
I wonder if I'd get a good grade if that was my answer . . . :p

I corrected my post. Missed a few letters. :p

jackles
07-06-09, 21:10
*rolls eyes at the egotists*

There are lots of contenders and like you said it has to be the person who has make the biggest positive affect on people.

I think the antibotics angle is a good one. Though there are several medical advances...pain relief or even birth control that can be seen as alleviating misery.

Marianna12
07-06-09, 21:12

Agreed!:tmb:

Punaxe
07-06-09, 21:13
I would not vote for anyone who made a particular material invention because I am certain mankind could have lived without them. What I would vote for is ideas that would clearly influence mankind's peace for the good, or invented something without which we'd objectively be worse off. Unfortunately I cannot point to a single person to have invented democracy - otherwise, that would probably be the one I'd elect.

Your_Envy*
07-06-09, 21:18
Since I'm more into Biology, I'd say Alexander Fleming (he discovered penicillin), and James Watson and Francis Crick (they discovered structure of the DNA molecule). :)

CroftScionGuard
07-06-09, 21:20
I think you should see what you find more important first. I would search for something I give more valour like Medicine than energy. Of course energy and medicine nowadays are united because medicine used energy to save lives, but the idea of looking for saving people or how to find a cure to something is more important to me than energy itself.

Nerd For Life
07-06-09, 21:20
Charles Darwin and Sigmund Freud are good choices, too.

jamieoliver22
07-06-09, 21:21
My gorgeous girlfriend for making my life complete and for always being there for me through everything; being by best friend and the true love of my life. :hug:

:p

Dingaling
07-06-09, 21:25
It's a hard Britney Spears one to think Britney Spears about. Many people would always have Britney Spears counterarguments for people. Some would say Britney Spears that William Gilbert, John Logie Baird, whoever invented the internet, all led to the downfall of Britney Spears humanity or something like that because of the increase in Britney Spears obesity and the general level of fitness going down because their inventions caused this.

Then again someone with that discovered or invented Britney Spears a medical cure could always be the greatest person. Or maybe not someone famous Britney Spears for an invention or discovery but how about Britney Spears someone who personally inspired you in such a way that noone else could? A friend or family member, maybe the helped you through a particularly tough time. They may not be Britney Spears the greatest person who ever lived to the world but to you they may be the greatest?

Too sappy? Okay, we'll stick to inventors and discoverers and other people. Alexander Graham Bell gave us the telephone (or someone else did before him but probably forgot to patent it or something) and worldwide communication that took seconds for years before emails and the internet came along. John Logie Baird gave us the television which has allowed hours upon hours of entertainment for people and gave us numerous topics of discussion. Television in the forms of soaps hve been able to discuss typically difficult topics of discussion like drugs, sex, death, pregnancy, etc. in the form of characters (though that's a bit of an extension of television itself).

However, possibly medical advancement would be the way to go. What they've done for mankind overall may be better than some sort of material factor that televisions or computers may give. Though I can't say much on the medical people since it's not my alley.

xx_Hunt_xx
07-06-09, 21:28
My Nan :)

Croft, Lara
07-06-09, 21:46
I don't think there can be a "greatest person who ever lived" in global terms. But I do think there can be in personal terms.

And for me it is definetly my mum. She is a single mum who does everything she can for her kids. She is our best friend and we can tell her anything. She was the first person I came out to and her reaction was to throw her arms round me and tell me she was proud of me. She will always be my hero!

:D:D:D

Encore
07-06-09, 21:54
Maybe the guy(s) who invented computers :D

Or the guy(s) who "invented" medicine..

Or maybe Joe Strummer :cool:

Lara's Nemesis
07-06-09, 22:11
^
Joe Strummer :D

That is a strange/silly question, how could you possible say who the greatest person whoever lived is.

It's not really a competition.:ton:

Lee croft
07-06-09, 22:13
...me :p

awww i was going to say me aswell :ton:... but i guess i would say britney spears

Endow
07-06-09, 22:16
Rick Astley

Nerd For Life
07-06-09, 22:18
Rick Astley

Best answer in this thread!

not again!
07-06-09, 22:22
If I had to pick, I'd personally rank progress in humanism over scientific progress, but since they require and influence and each other it's a somewhat arbitrary decision.
I'll just go ahead and single out Friedrich Spee from the countless people who helped pave the way for the concept of human rights - his Cautio Criminalis played an important role in ending the witch trials in Europe and banning torture as method of investigation from courts, so he's personal favourite.

Reggie
07-06-09, 22:23
I'm going to be quite vague and suggest that you consider a person close to you. Which family member or friend has perhaps helped shape and inspire you the most in life? That person can easily be the greatest person that has ever lived to you. In terms of celebrity, I don't know. Try and go for a subjective angle rather than an objective one if you can, it will make your choice much easier. :tmb:

:}hello friend
07-06-09, 22:56
Ummm... Im goin for Lady GaGa :P...

Or maybe the dude who discovered the Punnet Square, Darwin, maybe Abraham Lincoin? No... Janice! :D

Love2Raid
07-06-09, 23:14
Hard to pick one person. So many great people have lived and still live. Personally I always think of scientists, mostly people who have had a big influence on medicine. But also people who have fought hard for peace and democracy must not be forgotten.

But great people are not just the people who are named in the history books and who you see on tv and in the newspapers. Kind, helpfull and inspiring people can be found anywhere, just around the corner. :)

trtrailerman
07-06-09, 23:22
the greatest person who ever lived is defined by personal opinion. Just because someone is more famous or shown in a higher light does not make them greater than anyone else. Its about what you alone think. It could be whether you think great leadership is a brilliant quality like winston churchill or whether it's just the kindness of one of your best friends :)

Angelus
07-06-09, 23:52
Chuck Norris. :cool:

Bongo Fury
08-06-09, 00:35
I'd say Aristotle being the last word in everything for well over a thousand+ years looks pretty good on the resume.

Afonya
22-07-09, 13:32
I'm thinking of Dalai-lama. He's such a balanced person and I think all of us should contemplate his wise words. :o

LightningRider
22-07-09, 13:35

You made me spit out a fountain! :vlol:

laracroftswest
22-07-09, 13:38
YES SHE IS REAL!
http://gry.onet.pl/_i/galerie/sexy/lara_croft_tomb_raider_anniversary_03.jpg

Whether you like it or not.... she is living. We just don't see her.

Croft, Lara
22-07-09, 13:50
My Lord and Matster:

http://witsaboutme.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/flying_spaghetti_monster.jpg

I bow down before you Oh Flying Spaghetti Monster.

This message was brought to you by a brainwashed mortal.

Eddie Haskell
22-07-09, 13:51
Gandhi, hands down.

TRULuverzz
22-07-09, 13:59
Michael Jackson, the Legendary King of Pop is definaty one of the greatest people that lived :tmb:

Ikas90
22-07-09, 14:02
Bruce Lee. :cool:

Could whoop anyone's ass. :ohn:

TTV
22-07-09, 14:41
Audrey Hepburn ♥

Mad Tony
22-07-09, 14:42
Reagan.

MadCroy101
22-07-09, 14:42
Geddy lee. I mean, come on? He plays bass, guitar, keyboards, and sings and most of them at the same time, and hes pretty much a grandpa doing it!

Lara Croft!
22-07-09, 14:43
It's a hard Britney Spears one to think Britney Spears about. Many people would always have Britney Spears counterarguments for people. Some would say Britney Spears that William Gilbert, John Logie Baird, whoever invented the internet, all led to the downfall of Britney Spears humanity or something like that because of the increase in Britney Spears obesity and the general level of fitness going down because their inventions caused this.

Then again someone with that discovered or invented Britney Spears a medical cure could always be the greatest person. Or maybe not someone famous Britney Spears for an invention or discovery but how about Britney Spears someone who personally inspired you in such a way that noone else could? A friend or family member, maybe the helped you through a particularly tough time. They may not be Britney Spears the greatest person who ever lived to the world but to you they may be the greatest?

That made me LOL!!!! :D

Atlantisfreak666
22-07-09, 14:44
http://www.trsaga.com/fotos/pesnj/tr6/janice.jpg

'Nuff said.

Sir Croft
22-07-09, 15:04
I thinkn the greatest person who ever lived is a matter of opinion, therefore you should choose the one that means a lot to you in some way.
I don't know who I'd choose, there are many people I like for something they've done.

john_york
22-07-09, 15:10
I thinkn the greatest person who ever lived is a matter of opinion, therefore you should choose the one that means a lot to you in some way.

I agree totally. For example, I think that two of the greatest people ever to live were Darwin and Copernicus. One totally revolutionised the thinking behind the development of the natural world and the other proposed (well, possibly - there is evidence that perhaps he wasn't the first) the heliocentric view of the solar system.

But that's entirely due to the scientist in me being totally in awe of them, and a lot of other people probably wouldn't give two hoots about them. Other people may think Britney is the greatest person who ever lived becasue 'she's bin tru a lot and is ekstra oresomez!!11!!11one!'. It's subjective.

Lee croft
22-07-09, 15:12
Other people may think Britney is the greatest person who ever lived becasue 'she's bin tru a lot and is ekstra oresomez!!11!!11one!'. It's subjective.

:vlol: :pi: :vlol: i dont talk like that :pi: :p

Lee croft. :cool:

Could whoop anyone's ass. :ohn:

fixed :) .....:vlol:

kristi
22-07-09, 16:09
Nikola Tesla & Einstein.

gidierre
22-07-09, 16:13
Arthur Schopenhauer

tampi
22-07-09, 16:33
I know that one, like this:

http://i28.************/avhttt.jpg

did something in the past that transformed us completely.
It is a pity not to know his name.

stereopathic
22-07-09, 16:37
It is a pity not to know his name.

Grok. his name is Grok.

gidierre
22-07-09, 18:09
Grok. his name is Grok.
Grok's his cousin. He is Groll.
Together they created Art & Music:

witness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0DoMNzEqeg

6:25 to 8:03

adventurerLara
22-07-09, 18:15
IMO it is impossible to answer that question with just one name.

takamotosan
22-07-09, 18:17
http://gosublogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/dora-the-explorer.jpg

;)

stereopathic
22-07-09, 18:18
Grok's his cousin. He is Groll.
Together they created Art & Music:

witness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0DoMNzEqeg

6:25 to 8:03

at the risk of sounding incredibly racist, all those cavemen look alike to me.

Drone
22-07-09, 18:24
there are many. they lived, live and will live :wve: