PDA

View Full Version : Swearing: Yay, Nay or Meh?

Reggie
08-06-09, 10:48
What's your opinion on the use of swear words? Do you swear, do you try to discourage it actively? or do you (like me) only swear occasionally for really significant things? (in which case, its the relaxed/meh category).

Ok, so today on my way to college I was in my dad's car with my German exchange partner. She's got very high moral standards and expectations and because of that, my parents have been like different people since she came here. So today, I'm meant to go to an exam which requires me to take in my shakespeare book to answer questions with. Without this, I would end up with a fail no doubt about it. In my panic to get out on time this morning, I left it at home. Realising this with my dad and my exchange partner travelling in the car with me, I uttered the F-word. Since then I've been getting phone calls from my parents telling me how embarrassed they are and how she will so disapprove of what I've said. Which has made me question whether or not we should swear/have the freedom to do so - even in a serious circumstance like mine where I risked totally failing an exam (I've now got the book I left at home thankfully).
I've since apologised and promised to keep my language clean when she's around in the future, but this question about using swear words has stayed with me.

Any thoughts?

Carbonek_0051
08-06-09, 10:53
I hold my language when having intellectual conversations and when I am around certain people. I usually cuss when I am joking with close personal friends and some family members. Or I cuss when I am extremely upset or mess up on something. I can see how it would work in the situation you are in, but does one word really hold weight on how you are? I mean you only said it once it's not you were cussing left and right. I don't see how someone would get upset over one incident. But maybe that's just me, you did nothing wrong.

xx_Hunt_xx
08-06-09, 10:53
Personally, i dont think you did anything wrong, people do allsorts when there in a panic and worried. I swear, but only when im really stressed out or angry. Its not part of my everyday vocabualry.I dont see the harm in swearing when you have to, and in a way its a release sense in getting your anger out. However i dont agree with people who swear just for the hell of it, and do so daily.

Saphyre
08-06-09, 10:54
I swear when angry or when ranting mostly. Its mostly because I find swearing therapeutic and it releases some of my frustrations. I don't usually swear in normal conversation though unless I'm with people I'm really comfortable around. I don't however, swear in front of my parents or grandparents.

viper456
08-06-09, 10:55
I'm always swearing I'm terrible. I usually do it in a humorous way though has opposed to an angry way (not saying I don't do it in an angry way at all though :p)

EDIT:

intellectual conversations.

Now there's something I didn't expect to see written next to your name :yik:

lmfaooooo

Cochrane
08-06-09, 10:56
I try to actively avoid it most of the time, because less swearing actually helps my ongoing quest to appear more intelligent than I am immensely. Occasionally, I do swear, of course, like most people, and I don't really mind others doing it (as long as it's not directed at me).

Carbonek_0051
08-06-09, 10:56
I'm always swearing I'm terrible. I usually do it in a humorous way though has opposed to an angry way (not saying I don't do it in an angry way at all though :p)

I know you do, you sailor you!
I know I'm guilty of it too, so shush Tom and don't say a word. -_-

EDIT:

lmfaooooo
Tom, I have a few words for you. And they involve the letters f and u.:)

scion05
08-06-09, 10:57
Doesn't really bother me either or.

Ikas90
08-06-09, 10:58
I try to avoid swearing most of the time, as I generally don't like to swear.

I'll swear with my friends no problem though. Can't really have an "intellectual" conversation without including the F word lol.

Punaxe
I think swearing is a natural thing to do, but of course it should be realized when not to do so. Personally I do swear silently to myself, but only out loud when others are around when I'm sure they don't mind. :p

There's this anti-swearing campaign here saying that "cursing is learned/acquired - don't be a parrot" (for lack of a better translation). I fundamentally disagree. All language is learned - cursing is merely using this language to express a certain emotion. I don't see what is wrong with this, except in those situations where it is culturally unacceptable. I see however that these situations are disappearing and people are becoming more and more open and honestly expressive to one another. We don't live in noble courts anymore, but I can understand that certain situations still require chivalry.

Reggie
Personally, i dont think you did anything wrong, people do allsorts when there in a panic and worried. I swear, but only when im really stressed out or angry. Its not part of my everyday vocabualry.I dont see the harm in swearing when you have to, and in a way its a release sense in getting your anger out. However i dont agree with people who swear just for the hell of it, and do so daily.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only the one who feels like this. And yeah, I'm not usually the kind to swear as a constant part of my daily language but sometimes, in situations like the above, I can't help but feel its justified. Overall, I'm quite meh about swearing because I think it plays a reasonable function to express our emotions be it humour or frustration. Its only when its used so often that it loses that purpose that I question whether its being used too much.

@Punaxe: That's interesting, so the Government I'm guessing is actually activiely campaigning against swearing? Like you say its a bit silly to think that swearing is simply a matter of copying people. It has an emotive function.

jackali
08-06-09, 11:00
I try to avoid swearing.

Unfortunately, there have been one or two occasions where people simply wouldn't quite understand the sort of meaning I was trying to convey without swearing.

But really, that's a last resort.

Carbonek_0051
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only the one who feels like this. And yeah, I'm not usually the kind to swear as a constant part of my daily language but sometimes, in situations like the above, I can't help but feel its justified. Overall, I'm quite meh about swearing because I think it plays a reasonable function to express our emotions be it humour or frustration. Its only when its used so often that it loses that purpose that I question whether its being used too much.

Then why do you feel like you did something wrong? It's not like you kept cussing over and over. Don't let what your parents say bug you, you let a word slip because you had just made a mistake that could have made you fail.

It is justified, don't stress it.;)

michaeldt
meh :)

viper456
08-06-09, 11:01

oh how intellectual of you :vlol:

Carbonek_0051
08-06-09, 11:01
oh how intellectual of you :vlol:

Shush Tom you started it.:p

Anyways, I have a question for those who disagree with swearing on a daily basis. What don't you like about profanity? I have run into quite a few people who are actually extremely against it.

Punaxe
08-06-09, 11:02
(...) @Punaxe: That's interesting, so the Government I'm guessing is actually activiely campaigning against swearing? Like you say its a bit silly to think that swearing is simply a matter of copying people. It has an emotive function.

Oh no, not the government, just some anti-swearing association. I think they're trying to campaign for religious values, but mostly focus on swearing.

Reggie
08-06-09, 11:06
Now its interesting you say that because the main reason my parents got mad at me was that they knew she's Christian. That seemed to be a major reason in why they felt so obligated to change their language (they swear more than I do usually) use. And bearing, what Carbonek has said, I should just be mindful in the future. I'm certainly not going to get upset over it and nor should anyone else.

jackali
08-06-09, 11:07
Anyways, I have a question for those who disagree with swearing on a daily basis. What don't you like about profanity? I have run into quite a few people who are actually extremely against it.

I just don't think there's really much of a need for it. I can get by perfectly fine speaking in a civil manner, for the most part.

I mean, I don't mind much if other people talking to me swear. After all, it's up to them how they talk.

Cochrane
08-06-09, 11:09
Now its interesting you say that because the main reason my parents got mad at me was that they knew she's Christian. That seemed to be a major reason in why they felt so obligated to change their language (they swear more than I do usually) use. And bearing, what Carbonek has said, I should just be mindful in the future. I'm certainly not going to get upset over it and nor should anyone else.

Say, do you know for certain that she was offended? There are christians who don't mind swearing, I know a few of them myself.

Punaxe
08-06-09, 11:09

Religious people indeed tend to get upset around swearing, though I don't actually understand why, unless you'd go with Jesus Christ! or something. Why should they care if others swear?
I talked about certain situations where you should not curse... Friends among friends certainly is not one of those situations if you ask me. If it is, something's wrong.

Reggie
08-06-09, 11:11
@Cochrane: This is what my Dad seems convinced of because he said she looked shocked. But I don't really know for sure, part of me would like to think she's open minded enough not to judge me based on one such word. As someone who's been a Christian myself before as well as knowing many Christian friends of all branches, I've had the same impression as you - that they're generally quite 'meh' about swearing anyway.

Carbonek_0051
08-06-09, 11:12
I just don't think there's really much of a need for it. I can get by perfectly fine speaking in a civil manner, for the most part.

I mean, I don't mind much if other people talking to me swear. After all, it's up to them how they talk.Ah ok, thanks. I have actually met people who have gotten so mad when people cuss they said that they were "unintelligent" or "uneducated". I guess I personally don't understand why some people get so shaken up about profanity.:)

Say, do you know for certain that she was offended? There are christians who don't mind swearing, I know a few of them myself.

I am quite curious about this too, I am Christian and obviously I don't mind.:)

@Cochrane: This is what my Dad seems convinced of because he said she looked shocked. But I don't really know for sure, part of me would like to think she's open minded enough not to judge me based on one such word. As someone who's been a Christian myself before as well as knowing many Christian friends of all branches, I've had the same impression as you - that they're generally quite 'meh' about swearing anyway.Well has she said anything about it? Or acted differently towards you?

Your_Envy*
08-06-09, 11:16
I'm religious and I don't care if other people use swear words. It's their choice anyway. :)

I rarely use swear words, I must be really upset or something. Otherwise I'm avoiding it as much as possible. :)

patriots88888
08-06-09, 11:18
What's your opinion on the use of swear words? Do you swear, do you try to discourage it actively? or do you (like me) only swear occasionally for really significant things? (in which case, its the relaxed/meh category).

Any thoughts?

Yea, just one actually. I think you're overeacting about the entire situation. I'm sure it's not the first time she's heard that word before and she won't be scarred for life from it. I'm quite certain of that.

Reggie
08-06-09, 11:18
Well has she said anything about it? Or acted differently towards you?
Not that I know of. I got dropped off at College and she continued on to her workplace so I won't be able to talk to her until later. Methinks there was an over-reaction over the whole thing.

@Patriots: See above reply to Carbonek. I'm not the one overreacting but moreso, puzzled by the overreaction of individuals around me. As I've said I'm generally laid back about it.

Carbonek_0051
08-06-09, 11:19
Not that I know of. I got dropped off at College and she continued on to her workplace so I won't be able to talk to her until later. Methinks there was an over-reaction over the whole thing.

Then I wouldn't sweat it, if anything it just caught her off guard.:)

TRhalloween
08-06-09, 11:21
I only swear to myself. Usually at my computer :o

pneboy
08-06-09, 11:23
basically you wouldnt wanna be near when im online on xbl or psn, i ussuallly use every word under the sun atleast 3 times

Larson Croft
08-06-09, 11:24
Well of course I swear, usually in casual conversations or when I'm ****ing angry, you see, casual, but I could get banned eventually.

patriots88888
08-06-09, 11:28
@Patriots: See above reply to Carbonek. I'm not the one overreacting but moreso, puzzled by the overreaction of individuals around me. As I've said I'm generally laid back about it.

Sure you're overreacting. Just by analyzing the situation in the way which you are and needing the opinions of others about it certainly qualifies as an overreaction to a relatively harmless occurrence. See my previous post as to the reason why.

I'm sure she's uttered a few curse words herself at some time in her life. Nobody is totally immune to it.

Reggie
08-06-09, 11:31
Sure you're overreacting. Just by analyzing the situation in the way which you are and needing the opinions of others about it certainly qualifies as an overreaction to a relatively harmless occurrence. See my previous post as to the reason why.

I'm sure she's uttered a few curse words herself at some time in her life. Nobody is totally immune to it.

I don't need reassurance (although I still appreciate the reassurance I've had), it was just a good example of when it becomes an issue. This thread is as much about your experiences and opinions as it is about mine.

Legend Killer
08-06-09, 11:35
Don't even get me started....

I usually keep my curse words to myself when I'm around others but its a different story during the evening commute. When I was in my teens and around my friends it was pretty much every other word in a conversation. Someone actually counted how many times we used a certain expletive during a one minute time period. :vlol:

Psychos'Я'Us
08-06-09, 11:44
Oh I swear all the time so of course I won't mind other people swearing...swear words are just colorful words to me =]

patriots88888
08-06-09, 11:46
I don't need reassurance (although I still appreciate the reassurance I've had), it was just a good example of when it becomes an issue. This thread is as much about your experiences and opinions as it is about mine.

Based on your replies in this thread, I would say you are most definitely overreacting and over analyzing the entire situation.

Her "shock" as you described it in previous posts was most likely because she didn't expect to hear that word come from such an upright person as yourself. She was probably fighting back the laughter she wanted to let forth upon hearing you use that word.

Reggie
08-06-09, 11:50
You're probably right about her reaction. But you need to stop accusing me of over-analysing the situation. If I knew this was going to cause such a fuss, I would have started the thread without that incident being mentioned. I'm cool about it and I'm sure my parents will chill out about it too so if you're willing to drop this, I will be too as I've been obliged to respond to your psycho-analysing of me.

digitizedboy
08-06-09, 11:51
swearing comes naturally with me, I mean I used to hear it a LOT as a kid. I try and stop myself from using the odd F word now, it just sounds too common and makes people look stupid and uneducated. :S

Carbonek_0051
08-06-09, 11:52
Based on your replies in this thread, I would say you are most definitely overreacting and over analyzing the entire situation.

Her "shock" as you described it in previous posts was most likely because she didn't expect to hear that word come from such an upright person as yourself. She was probably fighting back the laughter she wanted to let forth upon hearing you use that word.
It seems to me like you are trying to get a stir out of Reggie, the people overreacting were his parents. They were telling him they were embarassed and that she wouldn't approve and all that. Of course he was a little worried, he's not over analyzing anything he is just going by how his parents reacted.

And looking for other people's opinions on profanity. I don't see why you are making such a big deal out of Reggie's post, and over analyzing him.

Forwen
08-06-09, 11:57
I think swearing can be a linguistic talent, and as any talent it is possessed by precious few.

patriots88888
08-06-09, 12:08
You're probably right about her reaction. But you need to stop accusing me of over-analysing the situation. If I knew this was going to cause such a fuss, I would have started the thread without that incident being mentioned. I'm cool about it and I'm sure my parents will chill out about it too so if you're willing to drop this, I will be too as I've been obliged to respond to your psycho-analysing of me.

It seems to me like you are trying to get a stir out of Reggie, the people overreacting were his parents. They were telling him they were embarassed and that she wouldn't approve and all that. Of course he was a little worried, he's not over analyzing anything he is just going by how his parents reacted.

And looking for other people's opinions on profanity. I don't see why you are making such a big deal out of Reggie's post, and over analyzing him.

I'm neither "psycho-analyzing" nor trying to get a "stir" or a "rise" out of anyone.

Since then I've been getting phone calls from my parents telling me how embarrassed they are and how she will so disapprove of what I've said. Which has made me question whether or not we should swear/have the freedom to do so - even in a serious circumstance like mine where I risked totally failing an exam (I've now got the book I left at home thankfully).

It's this (especially the bolded part) that has me convinced that it's all an overreaction by the OP. If you're spending your time questioning something such as this, you are in fact over analyzing it. Making mountains out of mole hills is all it is.

rowanlim
08-06-09, 12:13
I think it depends on the people around you. I have friends who bristle at me cursing & I have friends who curse more than I do. I personally don't think that cursing at every little thing is impressive, but I don't think it's morally wrong to curse when you hit your head against the wall (for example). It's important to know who's around you & how tolerant they are about swearing & adapting to that :)

:}hello friend
08-06-09, 12:15
I don't swear... at all, "OUCH! OMG my :cen: toe!"
OF course exceptions can be made for stubbing your toe on your bedpost :)

ShadyCroft
08-06-09, 12:16
I do swear occasionally with my friends for the sake of joking, being silly and just having fun. I may have uttered a bad word when a really terrible thing happens.
Other than that, I avoid swearing. I do not like people who swear a lot and unnecessarily, but I do not hate, mind them or even really bothered with them.

I think it depends on the people around you. I have friends who bristle at me cursing & I have friends who curse more than I do. I personally don't think that cursing at every little thing is impressive, but I don't think it's morally wrong to curse when you hit your head against the wall (for example). It's important to know who's around you & how tolerant they are about swearing & adapting to that

I agree. :)

Changeling
08-06-09, 12:20
I can swear without noticing, but I usually only do it with people I'm comfortable to be around. I don't really have a problem with swearing though, I mean it's just another word that humans made out to be wrong... I mean how is the S word any different than what it actually is? It still has the same meaning, but humans find it vulgur for some reason.

VonCroy360
08-06-09, 13:03
I never do and I hate it when people swear.
I understand when they're in panic or frightened, but some tend to use them in regular, everyday conversations as well. Just makes me think of them as stupid and unable to express themselves in a more intelligent way.

XBOXCroft
08-06-09, 13:10
I don't really like swearing. But I swear while chatting. Or when I'm super excited. 8D.

But, swearing is perfectly natural.

BTW, is Damn it a swear?

Cochrane
08-06-09, 13:15
BTW, is Damn it a swear?

I think so, but you are legally allowed (and it some areas required) to ridicule anybody objecting to it. A native english speaker might know more.

Kiss-Bite
08-06-09, 13:20
I don't really swear that much & if I do it is in a polite way within a context.:o:)

Dennis's Mom
08-06-09, 13:24
I used to swear more, but I've come to the opinion that not swearing is a sign of respect for whomever I'm with. Naturally, when emotions run right, I still let fly a few choice words, but I try to remind myself they are better ways to release my stress.

I've also become rather fond of shaking my fist and saying "Curses!" in my best Mojo-Jojo voice.

Melonie Tomb Raider
08-06-09, 13:28
I don't ever swear, but it doesn't bother me if other people do. However, it makes me sick to my stomach when they swear in front of small children, or even worse, allow their own young children to swear.

I personally just don't think it's very classy or ladylike. Not that I'm a girly girl, because I'm not, but I still make a lot of effort to carry myself with class. Like everyone else, some things frustrate me like crazy, and I feel like cussing like a sailor, but I don't. I'm around too many people that throw around f bombs in every sentence, to a ridiculous degree, and I see how low class it really makes a person look. It's almost like burping out loud in public. :vlol:

I guess my "swear word" is, "crap!" I say that all the time, and that doesn't exactly look classy to hear a lady saying that all the time, either, so I've got my own things to work on as well. :p

SoulReaver74
08-06-09, 13:30
I've been know to swear a bit unnecessarily on ocassion but since becoming a dad, i've learn't to control & restrain the use of any filth which may be deemed rude, gotta set an example to them, as any parent would.

MrBear
08-06-09, 14:10
Oh, a joyous sight it was to see this thread! I've often been wondering about swear words myself, but never to the point that I remembered to check up on it.

Religious people indeed tend to get upset around swearing, though I don't actually understand why, unless you'd go with Jesus Christ! or something. Why should they care if others swear?
(...)

I may be wrong about this, but isn't the whole taboo of not swearing directly related to religion? I'm talking about not taking the Lord's name in vain; I've always thought that other seemingly non-religious swear words were just a continuation of the misdeed that is misusing the name of Jesus or God (or the baddie).

If that's so, I think the use of swear words are up for revision: many secularised families, at least here in Denmark, object to swearing because they've been taught it's 'bad language' by earlier generations. But is it still bad if the family isn't religious? Isn't it just holding on to taboos that don't apply to modern times? (Of course, if the family is religious then I absolutely support any wish of not swearing.)

That being said, I'll admit not swearing when I'm in my father's home, or just generally among family. I do use the f-word among friends, quite a lot actually, but before you judge me (:ton:) I will hasten to add that using the f-word in a Danish sentence has a lessened 'impact' (or whatever) of the word. I don't use it nearly as often when communicating in English. :)

So, in short, I guess I fit the 'Meh' category? Meh. :p

Lara Croft!
08-06-09, 14:15
I swear occasionally but mostly for fun.

Catapharact
08-06-09, 14:18
I may be wrong about this, but isn't the whole taboo of not swearing directly related to religion? I'm talking about not taking the Lord's name in vain; I've always thought that other seemingly non-religious swear words were just a continuation of the misdeed that is misusing the name of Jesus or God (or the baddie).

Yet considering the mainstream English language, you simply can't avoid spewing out a swear word without adding any sort of religious connotation to it (i.e. Holy *Insert C bomb.*)

Anyway, I personally have no issue with it whatsoever... Ok I do have an itsy bit of issue with it. Yes it does makes you sound crude and idiotic if you constantly use it like a full blown sailor. The English vocabulary is diverse. Use something else then stringing togather gutter talk.

However, there are situaitons where a well placed "F U" has more of the desired effect then using a Shakesperian comback (I doubt Christian Bale would have made taboild headlines if he would have said "Thou lilly livered Jolthead!" to the lighting director.)

Trigger_happy
08-06-09, 14:20
I don't tend to swear out loud- mostly just if things go completely tits up. Someone at work even said that I never swear, which is a complete lie. When directing vitriol at others, I much prefer to express my hatred of them through series of explanations on how they are going to meet their demise, and what I think of them in comparison to various pieces of bodily waste, etc.

TombRaiderLover
08-06-09, 14:22
I swear only when insulting someone (usually in a jokey manner) or quoting a film. I'm not one of these people who'll squeeze a profanity into conversations that don't need them:

"So I'm out buying ****ing bread, yeah, and all of a ****ing sudden I see this ****ing big bag of ****ing chocolates, yeah, so I put down the ****ing bread, yeah, and I go for this ****ing big bag of ****ing chocolates, yeah, but then I ****ing realise I didn't ****ing bring enough ****ing money for the ****ing big bag of ****ing chocolates, yeah, so I killed my ****ing self and it was ****ing good, yeah?"

MrBear
08-06-09, 14:24
Yet considering the mainstream English language, you simply can't avoid spewing out a swear word without adding any sort of religious connotation to it (i.e. Holy *Insert C bomb.*)

Consider the f-word, for instance. By far the majority of people would consider it cursing, but where is the religious connotation?

However, there are situaitons where a well placed "F U" has more of the desired effect then using a Shakesperian comback (I doubt Christian Bale would have made taboild headlines if he would have said "Thou lilly livered Jolthead!" to the lighting director.)

True, but it would've made it more fun if he had. I've always been humoured by the one in King Lear, given by Kent to Oswald. I can't quote it, I'm afraid, but I remember such delightful words as 'knave' and 'rascal' and 'eater of broken meats'. :p who would've thought that such rants existed in the 17th century?

Quasimodo
08-06-09, 14:25
if things go completely tits up.

lol I love that expression!

I rarely curse unless I'm furious or something scares or hurts me by surprise. Otherwise it just feels kinda awkward.

Paddy
08-06-09, 14:34
Swearing doesnt bother me the least bit, probably because I do it a lot, I dont regret it either, it helps to vent anger or frustration.
Saying fudge or something that isnt cursing just doesnt do it lol

Punaxe
08-06-09, 14:45
Consider the f-word, for instance. By far the majority of people would consider it cursing, but where is the religious connotation? (...)

I think the argument of it being 'bad language' is true enough as it is... Not cursing in certain situations is simply part of the existing etiquette. It's hard to judge where religious influence stops and where other kinds of culture come in since religion has put such a huge stamp on everything (including this etiquette), but I don't think the taboo on cursing is only bound to religion. Even if it once was, it no longer is - people simply believe it to be rude. Many things that may once have been ascribed to religion have made its way into everyday culture. Why should any of this be revised?

Nannonxyay
08-06-09, 14:47
I curse all the time. It doesn't make me any less intelligent. It's just a habit I have. I don't mind if people swear or don't, it's all up to them really. I swear sometimes without realizing it because I'm so used to doing it. I don't use the harsh words like the "C" word, because I find that word quite gross. :p But I use the F and S word in every day talk. I don't see why people would get offended if I said something like; "That's really f'ing cool."

Angelx14
08-06-09, 14:48
I don't support it, but everyone says something bad once in a while. It's not like it's a crime, is it?

irjudd
08-06-09, 14:48
I generally don't mind making promises to people. And when I do I certainly try to uphold anything I've sworn. :)

scoopy_loopy
08-06-09, 14:53
Lara's alittle too classy for most swear words I think, but "bugger" is fine, at least its fairly British.

Nenya awakens
08-06-09, 14:54
I personally swear a lot, it's just kind of slipped into my vocabluary, obviously when needs must i can control what i say (at work or in front of family) but around friends i dont tend to watch what i say in the slightest and neither do they!

I think that everyone should be able to swear when they like, it's just about using your brain to think about wether or not this is the right situation to be able to do so.

mizuno_suisei
08-06-09, 14:59
I swear alot. Its just a natural occurance of mine and I dont seem to care about social status because most of people with a higher status that I know swear alot too. I love it because its being myself and it helps me relieve the pressure. I'll never forget my first day of TAFE and my teacher seemed so japanese-style with culture and respect, She tripped over a cord and screamed out the F word. I'd never heard a Japanese person use that word, not even a normal teacher XD.

Dennis's Mom
08-06-09, 15:00
I curse all the time. It doesn't make me any less intelligent. It's just a habit I have. I don't mind if people swear or don't, it's all up to them really. I swear sometimes without realizing it because I'm so used to doing it. I don't use the harsh words like the "C" word, because I find that word quite gross. :p But I use the F and S word in every day talk. I don't see why people would get offended if I said something like; "That's really f'ing cool."

I don't know. I wonder if we replaced the cursing habit with say . . . picking your nose. I mean, society has declared both to be unsuitable for polite company. But if it makes you feel better, why not do it?

Etiquette and politeness have little to do with religion, but everything to do with social success, and I'm speaking of a society's success, not just whether Jimmy's mom thinks you're a nice person.

Societies where people place a value on polite behavior tend to be more successful. Crime rates are lower. The place looks nicer. People tend to be happier because they feel valued by their fellow citizens.

Nannonxyay
08-06-09, 15:11
I don't know. I wonder if we replaced the cursing habit with say . . . picking your nose. I mean, society has declared both to be unsuitable for polite company. But if it makes you feel better, why not do it?

Etiquette and politeness have little to do with religion, but everything to do with social success, and I'm speaking of a society's success, not just whether Jimmy's mom thinks you're a nice person.

Societies where people place a value on polite behavior tend to be more successful. Crime rates are lower. The place looks nicer. People tend to be happier because they feel valued by their fellow citizens.

Well, I do watch my language at school and when I'm in formal situations, because I don't want to get into trouble. But if I'm out with my friends, I will swear like a sailor if I want to. I mean, not in front of small children (although, I have done so before unintentionally), I just don't see why an adult would get offended just by me using a word which is considered 'offensive.' It's just a word at the end of the day and it's not like I'm directing it towards them.

MrBear
08-06-09, 15:14
I think the argument of it being 'bad language' is true enough as it is...

Definitely, I'm not saying that the f-word is any less bad because of a lack of a religious aspect. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting you? :p

Not cursing in certain situations is simply part of the existing etiquette. It's hard to judge where religious influence stops and where other kinds of culture come in since religion has put such a huge stamp on everything (including this etiquette), but I don't think the taboo on cursing is only bound to religion. Even if it once was, it no longer is - people simply believe it to be rude. Many things that may once have been ascribed to religion have made its way into everyday culture. Why should any of this be revised?

My only point was that if families looked down on, say, their teenage kids (I generally don't like it when smaller kids swear) for cursing because it was considered a taboo some generations ago, it's worth reconsidering one's stance. If the family doesn't believe in God but they still want their kids to say 'for Pete's sake', isn't it kind of... idiosyncratic?

I do see what you mean, though, I'm just still processing it. :)

James_Rutland
08-06-09, 15:15
Only when absolutely neccesary! :wve:

Punaxe
08-06-09, 15:20
Definitely, I'm not saying that the f-word is any less bad because of a lack of a religious aspect. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting you? :p

My only point was that if families looked down on, say, their teenage kids (I generally don't like it when smaller kids swear) for cursing because it was considered a taboo some generations ago, it's worth reconsidering one's stance. If the family doesn't believe in God but they still want their kids to say 'for Pete's sake', isn't it kind of... idiosyncratic?

I do see what you mean, though, I'm just still processing it. :)

Well my point was that it still is a taboo today, and for good (enough) reason - generally not because of religion.

Ada the Mental
08-06-09, 15:27
Absolutely no problem with swearing. Well, there is a problem when you don't know when and where to swear, and you may come across as a crude, uneducated moron who has to resort to swearing because you can't come up with a good argument or comeback to save your life, but other than that, great way to vent and/or emphasize your point. :p

Saying fudge or something that isnt cursing just doesnt do it lol
What's the point of this, anyway? Everyone knows what you actually mean. It's obviously handy on forums and message boards where there's censorship, but if you want to drop an F-bomb in real life just drop the F-bomb, no point in sugar-coating it by using a PG-rated version. It's hypocritical.

It's also annoying when people are going on about how it's wrong for women to swear. Talk about double standards...

AmericanAssassin
08-06-09, 15:29
I never swear. Never ever. I don't know why really. Everybody in my family does. A lot, in fact. I just choose to use my words better. :)

Gladous
08-06-09, 15:30

EDIT:

lmfaooooo

I know you do, you sailor you!
I know I'm guilty of it too, so shush Tom and don't say a word. -_-

LMAO! :vlol:

But yeah, People know that I don't cuss... ;)

I don't like swearing. I makes me feel bad. So, instead I "substitute" the cuss words. :p

Indiana Croft
08-06-09, 15:41
I love curse words. I say them every chance I get (within reason of course, I don't just fling em) and I enjoy saying them. I find it stupid that curse words even exist. I think that if they're part of the english language, I should be able to say it as an english speaker. Why are these words in particular so bad and their synonyms are not? So i say swearing in itself is a stupid concept because they're just words. To answer the question, I do swear and I encourage it. Although there are smarter words to use, sometimes you just gotta let a good "****" roll of the tongue.

sheepydee
08-06-09, 15:43
i must say , i know this will sound utterly ridiculous but i rarely get thru a sentance without swearing XD and sometimes i swear in a joke-ish kind of way but i swear FAR FAR FAR too much

disneyprincess20
08-06-09, 15:45
I know I swear an awful lot, and I really have to control myself around my family. I know my fiance doesn't like how much I swear, and I'm trying to cut down, but I do swear quite a bit :o

corey01
08-06-09, 16:29
Swearing is good for the heart ;)

CuteKittenlol
08-06-09, 16:30
I personally swear a lot, it's just kind of slipped into my vocabluary, obviously when needs must i can control what i say (at work or in front of family) but around friends i dont tend to watch what i say in the slightest and neither do they!

I think that everyone should be able to swear when they like, it's just about using your brain to think about wether or not this is the right situation to be able to do so.

I agree. I cant help swearing as much as i do, but i wont do it much infront of my parents or anything XD

Psychos'Я'Us
08-06-09, 16:33
Swearing is good for the heart ;)

I know right? :D I feel so good when I swear, it's like I just went to church ^_^

tampi
08-06-09, 16:41
I do it mostly when I talk about our politicians. It's something that I can not avoid. They make me really nervous.:o

It's a kind of psychological discharge against the discomfort that theirs behaviors produce to me:confused:

Love2Raid
08-06-09, 16:51
Only when I am alone and for example hit my little toe against a wall or something.

So, I guess it's 'Nay' for me. :)

mau3genius
08-06-09, 16:53
I'm guilty :p!
I swear, a lot. It's just the way I'm used to talk. I've tried several times to keep a "soft" language, but, one way or another, I end up :cen:
The real problem comes when I'm angry. That's when I loose control and start swearing like crazy.
As far as the situation you exposed on the first post, as previously stated by many people, your parents are kinda overreacting :p It's not like the girl's ears will bleed and she'll die (Although that would be kinda funny/peculiar to watch) :pi:
Of course, it's always better to keep it clean when trying to make a good impression on strangers :p

Pan
08-06-09, 16:53
Yay for me I think. They're good for establishing extreme emtion or for emphasis but there are obviously situations when I hold back! Generally use crap and **** instead of the stronger ones.

Dark Lugia 2
08-06-09, 16:55
Meh. :p I swear a lot, but jokey and when its not innapropriate. Not at hoem though.

Joely-Moley
08-06-09, 17:23
I do swear quite a lot, however I know there's times when I shouldn't like when I've got the kids out for a day or something. I try and be a good role model for them as best I can so I'm careful with what I say around them.

I don't have any issues with people who choose not too either although I've never really understood how people can get totally offended by it. I understand not liking it, but some people get really upset or angry when they hear a 'bad word'

woody543
08-06-09, 17:27
i really don't want to swear, but yeah I do a little too much

Laurencarter
08-06-09, 17:47
I swear only when I am upset, mad or stressed out. As long as you don't drop f-bombs like it's the only word you know, then I am fine with hearing a swear word every now and then.

The only word that I don't accept at all is when people use God and Jesus Christ's name.

Spong
08-06-09, 17:51
Swearing is an expression of emotion, it implies a degree of vehemence above and beyond that of so-called "normal" words. But it can also be a sign of bad vocabulary. Depends on who says it and how often really.

maximum_123
08-06-09, 18:04
I swear when angry or when ranting mostly.

Like I did on MSN when my stupid friend left that... thing? :vlol: That was so embarrassing. :o

I try not to swear, sometimes I can't help myself, but only with close friends or in certain situations, I don't swear left right and center so I hardly think it's a problem with what you said either, if people swear around me I don't care much, and people say I have high morals :rolleyes:

Thorir
08-06-09, 18:17
I swear quite a lot.
Swearing isn't really as "bad" as in English or other languages. It's very common and relaxed. Old, cozy grandmothers swear too. :)

rickybazire
08-06-09, 18:23
I only ever swear to quote people or if I get to a brink of something.

Biddy
08-06-09, 18:31
I normally tend to blurt out profanities in frustration or for humorous purposes. I don't mind if people swear if it's not directly at me. Most of the people I know use it to vent out anger, and I find it much better method rather than lashing it out physically. :)

ace_85
08-06-09, 18:32
My swearing is frequent and offensive enough to make sailors blush I think lol. I have to admit to finding swearing funny though - used in the right context and at the right time, it can be hilarious. At the risk of sounding hypocritical though, I hate hearing foul language specifically aimed at someone in a threatening manner. That's a whole different matter IMO, and not cool. If I'm swearing it's always in a 'general' sense that isn't intended to be spiteful. I can see how swearing in any form might offend some people though

la-la-lara
08-06-09, 20:13
I swear quite a lot. But most of the times I don't mean it, for instance when I call my neighbour "peeping Tom". I just hate it when he borrows sugar all the time, go buy some yourself!

In addition, when people call me names, I don't bother. I don't really care what other people think of me. If I'm too crappy for you, then you're too crappy for me.

Titanium
08-06-09, 20:19
I try to avoid swearing, but if I hurt myself or in a bad mood I do tend to overuse it. I do use it jokingly as well. But I usually avoid swearing around family members (Unless its my dad. :p)

matrix54
08-06-09, 20:27
I curse, nothing wrong with it, in moderation.

-DaNnEe..
08-06-09, 20:29
I try not to swear as often as I do but it just comes out. xD

Larapink
08-06-09, 20:32
Depends on the situation entirely. :)

Heckler
08-06-09, 20:36
I swear religiously when playing games like Mercenaries 2 and TRU :hea:

Other than that....

i swear only for the right reasons... :mis:

My dad's a very devoted Christian....when he doesn't hit his fingers accidentally with a hammer or bump his head getting into a car.....:D

]{eith
08-06-09, 20:52
I'm supposed to be studying but I saw this thread and holy **** balls, this is so my kinda thread! :ton:

I swear often and lyrically. It's a gift. I know words the filthiest prostitutes, most sexually depraved sailors, most prestigious politicians couldn't even pronounce!

Benguitar
08-06-09, 20:55
Nay.

I've been an avid curser for a long time.. Working on stopping it.

Immortalis08
08-06-09, 21:52
I gradually transformed into a swearing machine. However I find it a great way to vent your frustration when alone. I do think that one should definitely watch their language among impressionable children.

Lemmie
08-06-09, 21:55
Swearing for me is definitely dictated by who I'm with. I swear in conversation with friends, but I don't tend to at home.

That said, I don't swear when I think. Well, occasionally.

Encore
08-06-09, 22:27
For me swearing is OK when you're among close friends/close family (:D) in a relaxed environment. I don't use swear words a lot myself but they don't really bother me in those circumstances.

Hybrid Soldier
08-06-09, 22:36
I only tend to swear when i'm angry or extremely annoyed. Other then that i try to refrain from swearing. :p

Sir Croft
08-06-09, 22:53
I kinda feel bad about swearing, but **** sometimes it's so ****ing necessary that I can't hold my ****ing tongue and end up saying loads of **** to all *****es that insist on ****ing me off.

:p

Fish.
08-06-09, 22:55
I generally hold my offensive tongue around my parents, but when I get frustrated or irritated, I can't help but drop a quick F-bomb.

I also swear a lot when I'm talking to some online friends, but they know I'm joking (most of the time :pi:).

Tear
08-06-09, 22:59
I don't swear too often, and I do try my best not to. It often just sounds like you're filling the place of something when you don't need to, you know? Like, "Oh ****! I left my study guide at home." When you could just say "Oh no! I left my study guide at home."
:)
I like when people don't swear anyway, to me it seems much more mature. Maybe it's just me..

Hairhelmet12
08-06-09, 23:11
Im more of meh, when im with friends i usually cuss, but then when im not trying to sound like a douche, I wonlt cuss. Im more of meh.

ThatNorskChick
08-06-09, 23:25
I try not to...although I like using "replacement words" just because it sounds funny. Like using "fork" instead of something that sounds similar. :p

Sir Croft
08-06-09, 23:27
I try not to...although I like using "replacement words" just because it sounds funny. Like using "fork" instead of something that sounds similar. :p

lmao :vlol:
Reminded me of a funny video that I can't post here for obvious reasons :p

Voni
08-06-09, 23:38
I'm terrible for swearing! Should really stop it, but I can't be arsed! :vlol:

Here's a quote I heard the other day:

'People who don't swear just haven't had the right sex or food'.

Ward Dragon
08-06-09, 23:54
Please do not post videos which contain a lot of sexual innuendo. Additionally, all images and videos must not contain anything that would be censored here if it was typed out and posted. Posting such images or videos is considered to be circumventing the forum censor.

Squibbly
09-06-09, 00:09
Swearing isn't something that ever became a habit for me. I feel there are more intelligent ways to get your point across (if you're swearing at someone I mean).

I occasionally swear if I hurt myself very badly, or if something makes me very angry, but those things don't happen often.

Overall I do not swear.

Romantics Inc.
09-06-09, 00:10
I really only swear when Im mad, or when Im talking naughty...:pi: hehee...

(wewt 100 posts! :D)

Ward Dragon
09-06-09, 00:20
Consider the f-word, for instance. By far the majority of people would consider it cursing, but where is the religious connotation?

I think it's now more of a social thing, but that does actually have a bit of a religious history to it. It originally came about when people would get arrested for adultery and the reason was put down as "for unlawful carnal knowledge." Then it developed into its own word later on.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently what I heard about it was wrong :o

gbetch
09-06-09, 00:21
i swear lkke salor most of the time but i do know when not to. my biggest question is how a word can be bad. like who decided thayt you can't say certain words. remeber thee old saying sticks and stones can break my bones nut words can never hurt me?(tho in todays touchy feely world people think words do the most harm) well if they are just words, why do people get so mad about them? i mean one of the most versitile words in the english language is a swear word. (you know what word im talking about)

Anne Boleyn
09-06-09, 00:27
I swear like a ****ing Trojan... :S I blame my peer group, because in the first couple of years of High School, I was extremely polite and well-spoken. In the last two, however, both my accent changed and the frequency of slang I spoke (which previously I could never have pulled off!) intensified. Now, alas, I have the mouth of a long-shoreman, especially in work!

I do find, however, that in polite company, I both adopt a 'posher' accent and a polite way of speaking - I'm sure this is the case for most people.

I do wonder how much swearing is a cultural thing; I notice it is very prevalent among we Brits, especially the young 'uns! It would be interesting to know if posters from other countries (particularly American, European or Australian) posters have a different attitude to swearing?

trtrailerman
09-06-09, 00:36
yeah i kinda swear alot i'm afraid. Even gorden Ramsey would be ashamed xD :p lol nah not that much. I guess of course when I'm upwarding diverging I put on more of a sophisticated front :D

TRhalloween
09-06-09, 00:40
So many potty mouths :eek:

Anne Boleyn
09-06-09, 00:43
A fellow Scot, TRhalloween! You should be used to blue air!

Tjw croft
09-06-09, 00:46
For me, it's an unhealthy habit, and a hard one to break for that matter.

irjudd
09-06-09, 01:03
I think it's now more of a social thing, but that does actually have a bit of a religious history to it. It originally came about when people would get arrested for adultery and the reason was put down as "for unlawful carnal knowledge." Then it developed into its own word later on.
You are the second person I've ever heard say that, although the first told me that it was "Fornication Under Carnal Knowledge" ... I don't suppose you could find the reference you heard it from could you? I've never found any solid evidence of this word origin.

*laralover*
09-06-09, 01:03
Well i mostly swear when playing video games or when things peeve me off on the news...or people peeve me off :p To be honest i do say "bugger" "godammit" dammit" "arse" and for when people annoy me..."**** off" :whi:. Only when im pretty mad do i come out with the F word :p Dont worry im very nice :p

Ward Dragon
09-06-09, 01:22
You are the second person I've ever heard say that, although the first told me that it was "Fornication Under Carnal Knowledge" ... I don't suppose you could find the reference you heard it from could you? I've never found any solid evidence of this word origin.

Nevermind. I heard it from someone, but Snopes says it was false (both versions, the one I said and the one you heard before). Dammit! :vlol:

coolaideonfire
09-06-09, 01:25
I don't mind but it does depend how it's being used. I don't like when people constantly swear just for the sake of it.

irjudd
09-06-09, 01:54
Nevermind. I heard it from someone, but Snopes says it was false (both versions, the one I said and the one you heard before). Dammit! :vlol:
Damned internet ruining our fun "facts"! :p

EmeraldFields
09-06-09, 02:07
I rarely swear. I usually don't mind others swearing as long as it isn't every other word that comes out of their mouth.:p

The only time I swear is when I accidently hurt myself.

Neteru
09-06-09, 03:13
I swear all the time. There's nothing like a well placed and thoroughly forceful anglo-saxon ****!

Having said that, excessive use annoys the hell out of me.

MattTR
09-06-09, 03:16
Totally against it unless it's absolutely necessary.

irjudd
09-06-09, 03:17
Totally against it unless it's absolutely necessary.
Like when someone kidnaps your bunny and will shoot him if you don't say ****, **** and ****er? I hate that!

TRhalloween
09-06-09, 03:18
A fellow Scot, TRhalloween! You should be used to blue air!

I am, really. It just seems so common place on the forums. Whenever people use it it seems as if they're angry or something.
I use mild language for fun and I quietly swear to myself when something bad happens.

InVisibleLight
09-06-09, 04:20
nay. swearing is sort of pointless, you could go without it and really when its used its just cause of either a lack of vocab or just because its fashionable.

laracroftswest
09-06-09, 04:29
I used to swear a lot. I only do it now once or twice a day. But that's normally when I'm mad at something. I don't do it when I'm just casually talking to someone. Although I have a question for you all: Is it okay for a friend of mine not to swear because they take the "Christian" route. But it is okay for them to call someone a "faggot?" To be honest I think that this is totally contradictory. Now, I'm NOT gay but I don't think it's okay for him to do that. Your opinions?

daventry
09-06-09, 06:41
I dont like swearing and i swear very little, but why is the F word such a common thing to say, its practicly the first word coming out of your Mouth next to Shi

TRenTIs
09-06-09, 06:55
Swearing doesn't really bother me.
I swear, but not very often.
I'm around people that swear quite often. I guess I'm used to it.

Qualopek
09-06-09, 06:57
Mostly yay, Q tends to swear a lot, it's just one of those habits he can't control, or maybe it's just the fact that he's around the age where most kids insert **** or any other denomination of it into every sentence they speak.

Shark_Blade
09-06-09, 09:52
It's unnecessary for me. ;)

So it's a meh.

Orionvalentine
09-06-09, 10:43
I swear....a lot :cln:

Nerd For Life
09-06-09, 21:43
I have a potty mouth.

TTV
09-06-09, 22:04
I'm in the "meh" category. I don't swear often, and never around my family... but it doesn't bother me. I only do when something really big (- bad - whatever) happens....
And even then, swearing isn't going to help or get ya anywhere, so "meh"....

Andariel
09-06-09, 22:15
I like watching others swear but that kind of language is too distasteful for me to utter. :ton:

violentblossom
09-06-09, 22:37
I'm a sailor as well, but i don't go overboard unless i'm really mad.

TRfan9294
09-06-09, 23:42
I don't swear at all, never have and never will so it's a nay.

Heckler
09-06-09, 23:52
I don't swear at all, never have and never will so it's a nay.

:yik: Impossible!
Oh wait...youre from trinidad or tobago....those people are the sweetest and most loving people on earth....
Oooh i would love to go there sometime...i love dancing
Ive got some friends from there who i met in Los Angeles a few years ago...and its true....no swearing.

my fiance is halve irish, halve dutch....you would have a fright if u knew what comes out of that mouth of his.....:cen:

TRfan9294
09-06-09, 23:59
:yik: Impossible!
Oh wait...youre from trinidad or tobago....those people are the sweetest and most loving people on earth....
Oooh i would love to go there sometime...i love dancing
Ive got some friends from there who i met in Los Angeles a few years ago...and its true....no swearing.

my fiance is halve irish, halve dutch....you would have a fright if u knew what comes out of that mouth of his.....:cen:

Actually we're not so nice with our language either, you should hear what comes out of my classmates' mouth, it's scary.:p I guess you met a nice bunch but there are many people here that swear, it's very common.:)

Heckler
10-06-09, 00:04
Actually we're not so nice with our language either, you should hear what comes out of my classmates' mouth, it's scary.:p I guess you met a nice bunch but there are many people here that swear, it's very common.:)

Well i met a stripper and her tipsy boyfriend....but they were nice

TRfan9294
10-06-09, 00:11
Well i met a stripper and her tipsy boyfriend....but they were nice

Haha, ok.:D

GameGlitcher77
17-06-09, 06:55
:mis::mis::mis::mis::mis::mis::whi::whi::whi:I don't around my family, but knowing my bad anger problems around my friends and cow-workers my mouth slips a little to much:D:D:D:mis::mis::mis::mis::rolleyes::p:p:ton:: ton::ton::ton::ton::ton:

EDIT: Pherhaps you've noticed in some of my other posts.:ton::ton::ton::ton::ton::mis::mis::whi::whi :

aileenwuornos
19-06-09, 04:26
I've been known to make sailors blush from my use of profanity.

Having said that, I can compose totally and utterly articulate and eloquent sentences and arguments without swearing too.

I just think it gives a ****ing good effect :P

ECB
19-06-09, 05:17
I love to curse. I really have no clue why. It just comes very natural to me. Hahaha.

Tihocan9
19-06-09, 05:56
I don't swear but that is probably because I was raised to not swear and never heard swearing when I was young, I don't think I even knew a swear word until maybe 6th grade. I don't have a problem with other cursing around me as long as it isn't over done and as long as it isn't using my Lord's name in vain, when that happens I usually get pretty mad.

x...justme...x
19-06-09, 05:59
I'll only swear when it's needed, such as when i'm angry or something like that, but not usually in normal conversations.

Ryu-Gi
19-06-09, 06:55
I personally try to shy away from swearing, most of the time. If I do swear, it's never out loud.

Like a chat during a game or on a forum.

Angel666
19-06-09, 08:13
I swear. A LOT. Maybe too much but it's just the way I am. :)

Dina_Croft
26-06-09, 12:37
Yay!

scoopy_loopy
26-06-09, 13:39
Meh.

It less about how many times people swear, and more about how they speak... bogans are going to sound like bogans even if they dont make an Irishman blush ;) .

Marianna12
26-06-09, 14:15
Meh...only when it's necessary!:p:D

Catracoth
26-06-09, 15:23
I'm okay with swearing, but nothing too bad--this is a public forum.

iamlaracroft
26-06-09, 15:41
I like cussing, it makes me giggle. I especially love it when cuss words are yelled really loudly, or juxtaposed completely out of context in sentences or stories. But I don't like wimpy curses, like "bloody hell", etc. I like 'em nasty and crude! :D
I just love cussing. It's so great! ;)

Drone
26-06-09, 16:03
the one who invented cussing deserves a statue made of gold in the middle of my town :cool:

MiCkiZ88
26-06-09, 16:13
Meh :) I don't swear much in english, but in finnish.. hehe.. :whi:

I swear when I feel like expressing my emotions stronger. I don't swear when i'm being polite and having a good conversation. I swear if something is completely confusing me or if I'm shocked.

TRULuverzz
26-06-09, 18:24
i honestly don't care if swearing is acceptable or not.

robm_2007
26-06-09, 18:33
i swear but not to the point that i think that i swear too much. i usually use it when im mad, but even when im not.

i do change my language when im around certain ppl. i especially hate it when kids are cussing. like my 13 yer old cousin says the f-word all the time, and it gets rather annoying. but, i did too, cuss like him, if not worse when i was like 10 years old. especially with my friends, we thought we were cool, and it made us feel like grown ups, cuz we talked like adults.

so, i dont mind when ppl swear, but i hate when they say the f-word too many times at once.

TRhalloween
26-06-09, 18:50
I like cussing, it makes me giggle. I especially love it when cuss words are yelled really loudly, or juxtaposed completely out of context in sentences or stories. But I don't like wimpy curses, like "bloody hell", etc. I like 'em nasty and crude! :D
I just love cussing. It's so great! ;)

"Wimpsy"? "Bloody Hell" is a classic British swear!