PDA

View Full Version : Forum spam protection

Punaxe
10-06-09, 21:34
I am always very cautious in placing my e-mail address anywhere online.

As a test, I put a newly created e-mail address as my MSN address and I've been monitoring if I received anything on that address. I don't remember exactly but this may well have been six months ago, and I can say that I've not received anything, so my conclusion is that it's safe to publish your MSN account on here through the User Control Panel (obviously just posting it in a thread isn't a good idea).

First of all I'm generally wondering how this is accomplished, since the address is clearly visible on at least two pages.

Secondly I'm wondering if this same protection would go for all other means of communication that can be filled in here, but I suppose it does.

If anyone's been doing something similar, please share results. :p

spikejones
10-06-09, 21:36
yeah.. I don't post my email here except in PM. I don't want anyone new to be emailing me without me knowing ahead of time :mis:

jamieoliver22
10-06-09, 21:39
I don't like to post my email publicly, I usually link to the contact form on my website instead (which does email me, so it is essentially the same), which reduces the possibility of spam. Also, my contact form is protected by Askimet (http://akismet.com/) which automatically detects spam and stops them from being sent.

Croft, Lara
10-06-09, 21:40
I wouldn't post mine. I did once and got a very abusive email from a scary Portugese lady. Hmm...

violentblossom
10-06-09, 21:42
I posted mine once in MGC essentially daring everyone to send me a virtual voodoo doll.

Only 2 people sent me anything, and they're both in this thread. :p

Croft, Lara
10-06-09, 21:44
I posted mine once in MGC essentially daring everyone to send me a virtual voodoo doll.

You can't say that and then not say who! I HAVE NEEDS TO KNOW! :hea: :D

jamieoliver22
10-06-09, 21:45

You did ask for it... :whi:

violentblossom
10-06-09, 21:46
You did ask for it... :whi:

I did. :D It was spikejones and Jamie. :)

Draco
10-06-09, 21:56
When I had my email published in my user control panel...I kept getting random msn convoes from people I had no interest in talking to.

Punaxe
10-06-09, 21:56
Edit: I didn't mean just posting it, I was talking about filling it in under Your Details in the User Control Panel.

When I had my email published in my user control panel...I kept getting random msn convoes from people I had no interest in talking to.

Ah. This is something I couldn't test because I'm not actually using the address I filled in. This started after you published it on TRF? You still have it published btw. :p

jamieoliver22
10-06-09, 21:57
Edit: I didn't mean just posting it, I was talking about filling it in under Your Details in the User Control Panel.

With it being in your profile, only members can see it - so it wouldn't be easily picked up by spambots and the like. That doesn't mean that other random members could see it however.

Quasimodo
10-06-09, 22:38
I wouldn't post mine. I did once and got a very abusive email from a scary Portugese lady. Hmm...

Sounds familiar...hmm...

viper456
10-06-09, 22:47
I used to have my email on my contact page. I'm more concerned about nob heads getting it rather than SPAM though. Hence its gone :p

LMAO sorry! I mean sorry for laughing...not apologising for being the scary Portuguese lady. :vlol:

Punaxe
11-06-09, 08:29
With it being in your profile, only members can see it - so it wouldn't be easily picked up by spambots and the like. That doesn't mean that other random members could see it however.

Ah right, is that it. Thanks :tmb: