PDA

View Full Version : How to combine separate MP3's into ONE complete file

quarrystile
13-06-09, 11:58
OK. :)

I am going on holiday in a few weeks. ( Not saying where... secret :ton: )
I am taking my MP3 player with a collection of my favourite albums and other songs ripped onto it.
Some of the albums are of the 'continuous' type. Where one track runs into the other without a gap.

For example... Jean Michel Jarre, Oxygene. This comes in 6 parts.
My problem is that the tracks play in a random order, not sequentially as they would do on a CD.

So I get part 4 playing BEFORE part 2 then a bunch of random songs.... and so on, etc.

Is there a way to 'join' parts 1 thru 6 together and then re-save it as one single MP3 ??

Minty Mouth
13-06-09, 12:06
So your MP3 player shuffles your tracks?

I think you could use Windows Movie maker.

quarrystile
13-06-09, 12:11
Yes Minty, it is an old MP3 player, but it holds 1Gb. So it is worth keeping hold of even with the random playing
( which I can do nothing about. It is just the way it is :) )

I did think about WMM but I do not know if I will loose any quality. I was hoping for something a bit more 'dedicated' :)

Minty Mouth
13-06-09, 12:31
There is a software called WM converter (http://download.cnet.com/3001-2194_4-10700602.html?spi=08ffe84d0f30894eb2969928d19e8062 )that has a merge feature.

quarrystile
13-06-09, 16:27
Thanks Minty, I will give that a try for now. BUT nobody close this thread just yet :D

Larson_1988
13-06-09, 16:28
Audacity! (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) :)

You will need a MP3 plugin for it though. ( At least i needed that when i downloaded this program a year ago).

quarrystile
13-06-09, 17:54
Thanks Larson. I will give that one a try. ( I have seen that mentioned before on here. I just forgot ... oops :) )

I was just going to edit my above post to say that the WM converter is not working for me. :(

It 'does what it says on the tin' but it then saves the merged file in a *.asf format.
My player does not recognise this.

Audacity! here I come. ;)

BTW Thanks for the help Minty :)

spikejones
13-06-09, 18:12
audacity for the win. dunno why you would use a movie maker application for an audio file :vlol:

Minty Mouth
13-06-09, 18:15
Thanks Larson. I will give that one a try. ( I have seen that mentioned before on here. I just forgot ... oops :) )

I was just going to edit my above post to say that the WM converter is not working for me. :(

It 'does what it says on the tin' but it then saves the merged file in a *.asf format.
My player does not recognise this.

Audacity! here I come. ;)

BTW Thanks for the help Minty :)

You just have to convert the asf file to mp3 using WM conveter afterwards

spikejones
13-06-09, 18:27
^or just import the MP3s to audacity - string them together - and export as save as MP3 with no having to do other unnecessary stuff.

Minty Mouth
13-06-09, 18:37
^or just import the MP3s to audacity - string them together - and export as save as MP3 with no having to do other unnecessary stuff.

Admittedly that would be quicker :p

quarrystile
13-06-09, 19:01
You just have to convert the asf file to mp3 using WM conveter afterwards

Admittedly that would be quicker :p

I thought you two were going to fight then !!! LOL

@Spike.... How do I string them together??
Using my example of Jean Michel Jarre, Oxygene .....

I have 6 parts that I want to combine into one ..
audacity is loaded and ready :)

spikejones
13-06-09, 19:20
its been a while so I forget exactly but it should be as simple as open one file with audacity - select all (and copy) - go to the file you want to be the first in the progression - place your "cursor" at the end of the song - paste the other song into place

quarrystile
13-06-09, 19:38
Thanks Spike.

I tried to paste 'part 6' onto the end of 'part 5' and then SAVE the result as an MP3 file as a test ... but I got this message.

http://i39.************/11c9m35.jpg

I have no idea what it means.. BUT I do have that exact named file in my Nero.

If you have any idea, it might be better to PM me instead of filling this thread up with stuff that I do not understand.
Remember that this is my first time ( Audacity, I mean ;) lol :o

TRfan23
13-06-09, 20:09
This might help with that quarrystile - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

quarrystile
13-06-09, 20:45
Thanks TRfan23

Hopefully with your info and Spikes, I might just manage to get this working.

Thanks all. Feel free to offer MORE advice.
I'm a noobie with audacity LOL :o

:)

Punaxe
13-06-09, 21:00
I'll make this easy for you :D

Rename the individual songs to something easy, like 1.mp3, 2.mp3, 3.mp3 etc.
Go to command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd), and go to the directory you put your files in. If you don't know how to do that, just copy all the individual files to your C-drive (just put them right at the root of the drive, not in any folder), and in dos prompt, type c: and then cd\.
Then type:

copy /b 1.mp3+2.mp3+3.mp3+4.mp3+5.mp3+6.mp3 jmj.mp3

jmj.mp3 will then be all these MP3s merged.

I realize there may be a little excessive ID3 tag info but as far as I've tested, this is not a problem for players. If you're worried, strip all base MP3s of their ID3 tags before starting.

spikejones
14-06-09, 02:01
interesting... I've never heard of this before

quarrystile
14-06-09, 06:20
Niether have I :confused:

BUT guess what ??? It actually works :eek:

There is a very slight bump/'scratch' between the tracks. But nothing I cannot live without.
So thanks all, and nice find Punaxe :)

I would still like to find out how to do it 'properly' though.
So I might tinker with audacity later on through the day.

;)

spikejones
14-06-09, 06:25
the scratch/bump can be removed with audacity ;)
but again - you'll need to have lame_enc.dll saved to your computer, and you'll need to tell audacity where it is located at. ;)

Ill post this here for the benefit of all others who may run into this "issue":
to tell audacity where the MP3 encoder is at (named lame_enc.dll) you just simply click the "YES" button when it appears as posted above. When you do so, you will be prested with an "open file" dialog box - use this to navigate to the location on your computer where the lame_enc.dll file is stored. If you already have the file - you don't need to download it, but if you run into issues using a different version, download the "lame for audacity" version here: http://lame.buanzo.com.ar/ - which will store the file by default at [system drive]\program files\lame for audacity\lame_enc.dll.

this only needs to be done ONE time ;)

The first time you use the "Export as MP3" command, Audacity will ask you where lame_enc.dll is saved.
In case of difficulty, please view our more detailed instructions (http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Lame_Installation#Windows_Instruct ions) on the Audacity Wiki.

(the audacity for lame dowload has changed a bit with the newer version and is no longer a zip download - it is an installation instead)

Punaxe
14-06-09, 11:23
About the scratch... Perhaps it's the ID3 info being read as music. Did you try stripping the base MP3s of their tags?