PDA

View Full Version : Level Building Advice from the pros

Cain
25-06-09, 22:31
A lot of people have been asking me recently about advice for how to make a good level. Here is my advice which i am absolutly sure will make anybody a good level builder.
I have compiled a list of my top 10 points to ensure a good level. I am sure experienced level builders will find it just as helpful as new level builders as noobody's experience can match up to mine.
But why am I doing this? Because I am sick and tired of playing substandard levels cluttering up my internet. I am sure the more people who read this then the more high quality levels will be released like mine.
Read and take note.

1) Make full use of the texture all buttons for quick room texturing.
2) Ensure each of your rooms has at least 10 enemies in.
3) Killing a single eel with the pistols takes approximatly 5 minutes, remember this if your game is a little short.
4) Find levels which you have completed years ago, add more enemies and upload it as if it is new, eg: the first time you opened the level editor.
5) Instead of placing ammo, place lots of guns instead.
6) Place 20+ big medipacks at the start of the game so you don't have to bother remembering to include them later. This can also apply to ammo and keys.
7) Use trigger pads, textured differently to your texture all room instead of bothering with switches.
8) The bike can kill t-rexes, use this if you haven't included a shotgun, also the bike is great for killing big rooms of enemies quickly, this can rack up the number of enemies in the level.
9) NEVER use lighting, it wastes valuable placing enemies time.
10) If your level has taken more than a day to make, it isn't worth the effort, cut your losses, upload it and start a new one.

I utilise some or all of these in every level I produce and as you have seen my levels are vastly superior to anyone elses. If you treat this list as a tick sheet you won't go far wrong.
Come on guys, I know you can all make good levels like I do.
Your helpful friend,
Cain.

God Horus
25-06-09, 22:38
I love how people are still fascinated by another person who has obviously been on a different account the past few years trying to inject humor into the LE community.

kaufi-lc
25-06-09, 22:40
Oh I've been waiting for soooo long for a really good tutorial on how to build good levels. Never found one at all those TR-community platforms...until now.
You opened my eyes and now I see the light, that I've been searching for all the years.

I have a mission! The LE-world now suddenly is completely clear and open to me.
I have to delete those strange 200 rooms per level of my upcoming project "Tomb Raider-Pieces of Centuries" (yeah, I know....I just had to put this here to let people know it's still under construction :p)
to have 1 room left. Now I realize what levelbuilding is about.
OMG, Cain. Thank you so so much *starts crying and sinking down to kiss your feet* :hug:

EDIT:

Oh I started changing EVERYTHING and I want to get feedback of...well....I like calling him "MNMC" (My New Master Cain)
Look at what I've "created" so far. If you say, it's worth to be called "tought by Cain" I'll upload it tomorrow as my project. I'm soooo excited!

http://www.yourupload.de/images/090626/temp/3pi86UOh.jpg (http://www.yourupload.de/show/d/1393/3pi86UOh.jpg)

deskj
25-06-09, 23:21
1) Make full use of the texture all buttons for quick room texturing.
2) Ensure each of your rooms has at least 10 enemies in.
3) Killing a single eel with the pistols takes approximatly 5 minutes, remember this if your game is a little short.
4) Find levels which you have completed years ago, add more enemies and upload it as if it is new, eg: the first time you opened the level editor.
5) Instead of placing ammo, place lots of guns instead.
6) Place 20+ big medipacks at the start of the game so you don't have to bother remembering to include them later. This can also apply to ammo and keys.
7) Use trigger pads, textured differently to your texture all room instead of bothering with switches.
8) The bike can kill t-rexes, use this if you haven't included a shotgun, also the bike is great for killing big rooms of enemies quickly, this can rack up the number of enemies in the level.
9) NEVER use lighting, it wastes valuable placing enemies time.
10) If your level has taken more than a day to make, it isn't worth the effort, cut your losses, upload it and start a new one.
ahahah that's really funny, i like your building creed :D

Tombraider95
26-06-09, 14:46
I no some of these can be funny but its just a waste of a thread. :o

mudkip25
26-06-09, 14:50
Oh I started changing EVERYTHING and I want to get feedback of...well....I like calling him "MNMC" (My New Master Cain)
Look at what I've "created" so far. If you say, it's worth to be called "tought by Cain" I'll upload it tomorrow as my project. I'm soooo excited!

http://www.yourupload.de/images/090626/temp/3pi86UOh.jpg (http://www.yourupload.de/show/d/1393/3pi86UOh.jpg)

Well, The Textures are stretched, repeating, need way more lighting. Its just kind of, beginner-ish

KurtisandLara
26-06-09, 14:57
I no some of these can be funny but its just a waste of a thread. :o

I Agree...

deskj
26-06-09, 15:03
Well, The Textures are stretched, repeating, need way more lighting. Its just kind of, beginner-ish
mudpik... u know irony? :D :p

ggctuk
26-06-09, 15:06
When did Cain get an account here? And as for this:

I utilise some or all of these in every level I produce and as you have seen my levels are vastly superior to anyone elses

The highest Cain has ever got for a level is 3.25 on trle.net. It just slopes down from there. There ire currently 224 levels/sets rated at or above 9 on trle.net. Or, by my own tastes, I go for levels at least rated a 7, for which there are currently 1047 levels/sets rated at 7 or above on trle.net, and Cain's are nowhere there.

1upMushroom
26-06-09, 15:07
Oh I've been waiting for soooo long for a really good tutorial on how to build good levels. Never found one at all those TR-community platforms...until now.
You opened my eyes and now I see the light, that I've been searching for all the years.

I have a mission! The LE-world now suddenly is completely clear and open to me.
I have to delete those strange 200 rooms per level of my upcoming project "Tomb Raider-Pieces of Centuries" (yeah, I know....I just had to put this here to let people know it's still under construction :p)
to have 1 room left. Now I realize what levelbuilding is about.
OMG, Cain. Thank you so so much *starts crying and sinking down to kiss your feet* :hug:

EDIT:

Oh look at that room! Not only does it have dozens of enemies (that I imagine will realistically appear out of thin air as Lara crosses trigger tiles) It also displays expertly stretched textures.

But wait! There is more! Up in the corner is a wonderfully designed illegal slope!

And of course, the cream ontop: there is no way out of the room. Brilliant!
Level building at its best.

LightningRider
26-06-09, 15:11
EDIT:

When's the release??!! :jmp: :cln: :D

(I'm not lying, when is it?) :pi:

Soul
26-06-09, 15:45
Some guys don't know what's irony. Kaufi-lc built the great Caves-level and is making an awesome levelset atm.
Your answer made my day, mudkip ^^

ggctuk
26-06-09, 16:06
Ugh, I sense a spam headache coming on...

LightningRider
26-06-09, 16:12
Ugh, I sense a spam headache coming on...

Agreed. Mods close this.

(kaufi-lc update me on the release! :jmp:)

Tjw croft
26-06-09, 18:05
This is not spam. This is the work of the level editor's biggest genius. FOLLOW CAIN'S ADVICE PEOPLE!

ggctuk
26-06-09, 18:08
My friend, you may have just opened the doors to spam with your own fingers. I'd rather stick to tried and tested methods of many rooms, months to make, properly lit and textured works, thank you. All i need to know is that there are 1726 levels/sets better than Cain's.

I have to agree, close this thread before it gets (more) out of hand.

TR-Freak
26-06-09, 18:18
i really hate your levels,cain.
A level needs a good atmosphere and some puzzles to solve.
Maybe you should read the manual and not waste our time with ugly levels without sense.

ggctuk
26-06-09, 18:25
If he did that he wouldn't be cain. :(

nowid50
26-06-09, 18:52
Cain : I'm beginning to be sick of your stupidity... I don't find that funny at all... I almost take it as an insults for every builders !

Levels aren't only connected cubes with dozen of ennmies, ammos and medipacks... No, a level is a world which is meant to be realistic and unrealistic.

So well, I'll read your "professionnals" advices only if you make a level that is rated 10 out of 10 !

Tjw croft
26-06-09, 18:59
Guys, be nice at least. Please take not that I'm the guy saying to plan everything, yet I'm here defending the man who doesn't plan even the slightest! I understand people aren't exaclty happy, but be kind, please?

Cain
26-06-09, 19:17
that room looks amazing kaufi-lc, its a realy good start, im asuming it will be ready to upload soon, i cant wait to play it:) i can realy see you have followed my tips and your are well on your way to becoming a top level builder.

and now...

nowid50 and TR-Freak, i am very sorry you didnt like my level building advise, however don't give up that easyily:o
im asuming you found it too hard to follow, the advise is very in depth and complecated but if you realy study it im sure you can take something away from it:) im sure your both dont realy mean these isults and are just intimidated by this advise i have given - come on guys read it again and soon you to will be making great levels like mine and kaufi-lc!

thank you everyone for your continued support.

Cainy booooy:p

TR-Freak
26-06-09, 19:24
maybe you think it's fun,but i think it's just crap.
It's like you make fun about other levelbuilders like Titak and Piega.
Maybe not,but I think so.

you just say you need 1 Room,blocky,huge and without lighting.
Full of Enemies,ammo and medis.
It's just bad.
maybe it's your humor,but i don't get it.

Matie
26-06-09, 19:40
Woow, Cain! Thank you sooo much for the advices! You helped me a lot:hug: You're the best!

(seriously: Cain could make good levels if s/he would want to, I think. He did some things very well /giant Lara -> remapping/...)

Mona Sax
26-06-09, 20:02
Closed.