PDA

View Full Version : Losing Inspiration to Build...

benjamin_2010
29-06-09, 18:52
I have been building levels with the TRLE for about 4 years now, and I have made two games, both of which were only so-so. I've been working on improving my skills and I think I have quite a bit, but lately I haven't been able to pick a project and stick with it.

I feel like I want to prove my levels are worth something, but when I look at all the beautiful screens people post and how much progress they make, I think I get discouraged. I begin to think maybe my level wouldn't be any fun compared to the one that is better looking and better designed?

Does anybody have some advice they could offer me so that I can create once again?

wdavid
29-06-09, 19:09
The only advice i can give is: Don't give up!;)
I can totally understand you. My last project was not quite succesully and i was sad when i see that i've been made a lot of bugs and faults. I like level editing and i won't give up, because i want to improve :) I haven't seen your levels so far but i'm sure that they were good:)...as every level is good in they're own way. :D
You will see that if you do not give up then your levels will be better and better :D
Practice makes perfect ;)

tomb2player
29-06-09, 20:01
Hm... I was the same problem. What project i started, the same or next day drop at the bin :o , But i recalled what i most like in TR. And this is my level base - what i most liked in TR's. For example - many doors and switches :D. I started thinking and thinking. And now i know what make :ton:

LaraCablara
30-06-09, 00:25
I have been building levels with the TRLE for about 4 years now, and I have made two games, both of which were only so-so. I've been working on improving my skills and I think I have quite a bit, but lately I haven't been able to pick a project and stick with it.

I feel like I want to prove my levels are worth something, but when I look at all the beautiful screens people post and how much progress they make, I think I get discouraged. I begin to think maybe my level wouldn't be any fun compared to the one that is better looking and better designed?

Does anybody have some advice they could offer me so that I can create once again?

Trust me, I know the feeling.

I always used to get discouraged looking at people's screens and then seeing them release an entire level set a few months later while I'm still working on my one level :o for 2 years.

Just find a theme that REALLY interests you and stick with it, focus on building a small level rather then one giant level set. Make sure it is a theme does already has objects and textures available for it so you have something to work with.

Make a topic only when you really feel this level is going to come out and is ready to be shown.

Remember one small high quality level is better then 20 bad ones ;).

McRaider
30-06-09, 02:31
Well,is very normal just leave the editor for some days/weeks..when you get that feeling of creation,restart your work..

benjamin_2010
30-06-09, 04:45
Thanks for the tips guys. I have had several projects in my head that haven't followed through, so I've been a bit lost trying to decide where to go next.
Maybe I need to really just forget about it for a few days or something and come back.

na_th_an
30-06-09, 06:59
If you need ideas, I think there's a shortage on medieval-themed, gothic-themed, castle/cathedral-based scary, spooky TRLE games.

aktrekker
30-06-09, 07:50
Forget what other people are doing or how good other levels look. Make your levels for yourself. When you are happy with it, it will show. Once you have it the way you want, maybe you can update it with better textures or change a few objects. A few simple changes can make alot of improvement. Just finish it first, then think about making it better.
If you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong.

Titak
30-06-09, 14:55
If you need ideas, I think there's a shortage on medieval-themed, gothic-themed, castle/cathedral-based scary, spooky TRLE games.I'm working on that. :mis:

As for losing inspiration:
I agree with aktrekker.
And what could help is to take a break from building and get your mind off it for a while. Ideas might just pop up again then, when you least expect them. Like when you see a very nice rock formation or an old ruin of some castle or church, or you might see some ancient ruins or a beautifull landscape on TV which will trigger your imagination and inspiration again.

wdavid
30-06-09, 16:25
...see some ancient ruins or a beautifull landscape on TV which will trigger your imagination and inspiration again.

Yes, sometimes TV can make wonders. :D
But the ideas were usually came to me at the school at the history class:cln:
In my opinion inspiration can come from anywhere...for example my last idea was came from my sister.:cln: I also agree with aktrekker, have a break and everything will be fine;)

benjamin_2010
30-06-09, 16:28
If you need ideas, I think there's a shortage on medieval-themed, gothic-themed, castle/cathedral-based scary, spooky TRLE games.

This is exactly the type of level I wanted to create, but I had trouble finding textures that I wanted to use. Whenever I normally start a level, I like to take textures directly from a certain set. For example, textures from China in Tomb Raider 2, or textures from Rome in Tomb Raider 1. I can never inter-mix level textures.
So possibly, does anyone know where I can get a castle/catacomb type of texture set?
And thanks for all of the advice everyone. :)

wdavid
30-06-09, 16:34
Try here: http://www.skribblerz.com/textures.htm

1upMushroom
30-06-09, 17:54
I have the following on my computer:
The Scotland castle textures from TR3 Unfinished business...
Also from there is a bizarre castley texture set with dead people built into the walls, if you are going for a creepifying feel. :D

I have an unused TGA file with crypt-like feel, which I put together...
Maybe one of them could be of use to you?

benjamin_2010
30-06-09, 17:57
Well, I already have the Scottish textures, because I got a wild idea that I would begin my second remake of my game Scottish Mysteries, but that fell through. I have some that Kapu has linked me to, and I have some from various TR games.

I think what I have for now might suffice, we'll see what I can do. :)

Tombraider95
30-06-09, 18:26
I always think that no one is going to play my levels as there no way near as good as some of the ones being made or already released! But Practice Makes Perfect as they say.

I went from This:

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh347/bsmy95/picture074.jpg

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh347/bsmy95/picture071.jpg

To This:

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh347/bsmy95/picture003-1.jpg

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh347/bsmy95/picture015-3.jpg

KurtisandLara
30-06-09, 18:55
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."

"Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can."

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. "
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us."
~ Alexander Graham Bell

"Fall seven times, stand up eight."

"If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again. "
~ Flavia Weedn

"To find what you seek in the road of life,
the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
~Edward Bulwer Lytton"

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.
~William Arthur Ward "

...Dont give up.

ggctuk
30-06-09, 19:06
If that doesn't inspire you, then I have no idea what will :ton:

1upMushroom
30-06-09, 19:28
It is hard to be inspired without a solid plot and concept to build to.

While you need to be willing to play around, and be flexible, you need to have structure to your building as well.
Decide on a quest for Lara. What does she need to find? Is it an artifact?
Does she want to solve an archeological mystery?

Where is she going to be?
A castle, you say... Will she be going up onto the ramparts, or down into the dungeons, or both!!

What is she doing there? It can be unorthodox... she can be there to bring peace the spirit of the baron's daughter who is haunting the place...
Doesn't need to be a straight raid, it can be something out of the ordinary.

Is somebody trying to stop her? Is somebody trying to get there before her?

Have people been there before?

Something that Eric Clair did in one of his levels, is he had two pedestals, which clearly held artifacts, but they had already been raided!! It was a great way that he developed real atmosphere in this levelset. (It was Journey in Togarma btw)

Then at the end of the level set, somebody runs in and swipes the seraph just as Lara opens the door! :hea: :cen: :mad: :D :jmp: It was outrageous, because our lady actually did not get the prize at the end.

I am not saying that you must do those things exactly, but you need to have ideas about how your level(s) are going to unfold.
When you have all of these ideas in place, think about what challenges and traps she may encounter on her journey. Start to get yourself excited about novel puzzle and trap ideas.

Draw concept sketches for scenic rooms you would like to have.

By this time, you should be quite excited, and very motivated.

If you are unmotivated, it is because you do not have a rock-solid, made-of-awesome level concept.
I hope this helps. :D

benjamin_2010
01-07-09, 06:13
hahaha 1upmushroom that helps and all of the advice helps as well. I'm going to work on a new story and then, once I'm sure it's solid and workable, I'll start level building again.

ggctuk
01-07-09, 09:04
Make paper copies, sketches of things, where your enemies will go, and how they are triggered. I find that helps somewhat.

na_th_an
01-07-09, 12:31
I'm working on that. :mis:

Great :)

As for textures, I'd go with tomb of ancients/hall of seasons and/or their side rooms from TRAOD. England textures from TRL would look great as well :)