PDA

View Full Version : Diving suit man scales Snowdon

neil4768
12-10-03, 18:04
Walking up Snowdon, the highest mountain in England and Wales, is no easy feat - but walking it backwards in an old fashioned diving suit is even harder.
But that is just what one man has done.

Terry Cole, from Walthamstow, east London, donned a full 123 kg antique diving suit complete with lead boots and helmet and scaled the 3560 ft mountain - walking backwards.

The 45-year-old took on the challenge to raise money for his local Shopmobility branch - which helps elderly and disabled people.

Inspired by the other antique diving suit fundraiser, Lloyd Scott, Terry manged to get to the top and back again in about 12 hours.

Speaking before the trek he said: "It is going to be a good challenge.

"It is all for charity, which is very important for me and I hope it is going to go well."

Terry said that he has been undertaking stamina training to prepare him for the challenge.

"I have done a lot of weight training and circuit training as well as doing lots of work on my calf muscles," he said.

During his walk, Terry was joined by a team of people for moral support including two disabled Shopmobility volunteers.

Peri Stanley from Shopmobility explained how Terry got involved in the fundraising effort.

"I challenged him to do it after a chance meeting I had with him," she said.

"I had heard about him raising money for charity by doing stunts in his diving suit and thought this would be a great way of getting some funds so we can continue our work with the elderly and disabled," she added.

Story from BBC NEWS: