PDA

View Full Version : Internet Timeouts from Netgear Wireless Router

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 01:25
I have a DSL box that connects to my computer. It connects to my main PC and also connected to the PC is my Netgear WGR614 (I thought that would be important) model.Every once and a while, the internet times out and the "I" light goes orange for about 2 minutes. It didn't get really bad until about a month ago. I have to now go in and reset my DSL box and then wait for the internet to come back on. This keeps me from getting to internet and online capabilities on my Xbox 360 and my Playstation 3. If you could please help with this and give advice that would be unbelievably appreciated.
REPORT: While typing this, my problem above just happened. :(

My Netgear Router:
http://images10.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll200/33-122-016-34.jpg

My DSL Modem
http://www.gerardist.com/FrontYard/Images/Thumbnails/Modem.jpg

EscondeR
08-07-09, 05:54
Where exactly the uplink connection (outer) fails? On the router or on the modem.

spikejones
08-07-09, 07:24
explain your connection again as well please. it sounds like you are saying:

Modem AND Router are connected directly to the PC

OR is it like this:

Modem -> Router -> [PC/X Box/etc.]

On which of the devices (modem or router) does the internet light go out on?

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 13:15
Where exactly the uplink connection (outer) fails? On the router or on the modem.

It is on the Router.
And @spikejones, yes, my modem and router are connected to my PC.

EscondeR
08-07-09, 16:08
Your layout must be exactly as the following:

Modem -> Router -> [PC/X Box/etc.]

I.e: Modem is connected to the line (from ISP), router is connected to the modem (and set to work via DHCP), all stuff - PC, XboX, etc - connected to the router ports.

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 17:37
Well I knew most of that. What I'm asking is that I want to know why my internet goes to timeouts and how can I stop it?

spikejones
08-07-09, 18:16
so okay... if the internet light times out on the router - does that affect the internet connectivity on your PC? or only on the X-Box etc?

What it sounds like you have set up here is internet connection sharing whereby you have the Modem connected to the PC, then the router connected to another port on the PC (or via wireless) - effectively turning your PC into a router as well. If this is the case, you may be having issues that your PC is consuming the internet bandwidth and cutting out access to the rest of the devices - basically saying "wait a while until I'm done doing what I need to do". If what you have setup is what I am thinking you have setup - this is a bad and useless setup. Firstly try reconnecting everything as laid out above.

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 18:21
so okay... if the internet light times out on the router - does that affect the internet connectivity on your PC? or only on the X-Box etc?

What it sounds like you have set up here is internet connection sharing whereby you have the Modem connected to the PC, then the router connected to another port on the PC (or via wireless) - effectively turning your PC into a router as well. If this is the case, you may be having issues that your PC is consuming the internet bandwidth and cutting out access to the rest of the devices - basically saying "wait a while until I'm done doing what I need to do". If what you have setup is what I am thinking you have setup - this is a bad and useless setup. Firstly try reconnecting everything as laid out above.

For the first thing you said, it times out on everything. Stopping everything: downloads, internet pages, iTunes store, etc. For the second, are you suggesting that I try just plugging out the modem altogether?

spikejones
08-07-09, 18:35
What I'm saying is that is sounds like you have things connected like this:

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/wrong.jpg

But that they should be connected like this:

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/right.jpg

I need to know for sure which way things are currently connected so that we can be sure we are looking at the correct device.

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 18:40
Both are connected to the PC by two different cords, and both are connected to each other by an ethernet cable. So it is more like the second one.

spikejones
08-07-09, 18:47
see the problem with this is that you are causing some connection problems trying to send things through two different interfaces to the modem (if they are both active). Disconnect the one that is connected to the modem. It is unnecessary. If your internet connection on the PC drops out when you do that - move the ethernet cable from the router to the port where the modem was just at (unless the modem is connected to the PC with USB that is).

Try running like that for a while and see if the issue continues.

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 19:12
It is taking me a while to get the setup just right, but I think I finally get the diagram you are showing me.
EDIT: I have it like you say. But the same thing is still happening.

EscondeR
08-07-09, 19:13
I'd say stick to this layout:
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/stryderjones/right.jpg
(connections made via Ethernet interface only).

Only one LAN connection must be active on PC, Xbox, etc (one per each) and it must use DHCP service and DNS IP must be set to the router's IP (if it has DNS forwarding active) or ISP DNS server(s) IP.

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 19:17
Do you think you could put that into simpler form?

spikejones
08-07-09, 19:26
just connect everything as laid out in the picture with no extra wires connected to anything - leave everything set to automatic.

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 19:32
I figured this could help you give a better explanation to me:

Router:
http://i28.************/2rpy5hf.jpg

Modem:
http://i25.************/16kytt1.jpg

EscondeR
08-07-09, 19:39
1. There must be a small button on the router (one that can be pressed with a pen or pencil (something thin) only). Press it to revert the router to default settings.

2. Connect the yellow cable from the modem to the router's WAN port (labeled as WAN). Connect PC, XboX, etc with one cable each to the router's LAN ports (use only Ethernet interface, no USB connections necessary).

3. Check that every LAN connection recieves IP and DNS automatically from DHCP server (look in Properties).

BTW, according to your photos it seems you have the layout we're talking about already...

laracroftswest
08-07-09, 20:23
It is not letting me setup my wireless Netgear connection and my Laptop and PS3 won't allow me to connect to it.

spikejones
09-07-09, 21:53
after you reset the router - did you ensure that the encryption key (or lack thereof) was correct?

you need to log in to the router by going on to your computer's web browser and navigating to the default gateway address, then go to the "Wireless" properties section.

to find your default gateway, you must go to Start -> run/search -> type "cmd" without quotes.

in the black window that appears, type the following:

ipconfig /all

you will get a report that looks like this:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : frankenstein

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-17-92-BB-FA

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.13

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.25.5.148

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 09, 2009 5:31:56 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 09, 2009 6:31:56 PM
09, 2009 6:31:56 PM

Look for the line that begins with "Default Gateway" as shown above (yours may be different than mine). Enter that number into your web browser (with the dots). When prompted for a username and password, the defaults for a Netgear Router are generally:

User: admin
Pass: password

once logged in - make necessary changes (or notes) under the wireless section as well as ensuring all settings mentioned by esconder are properly set.