PDA

View Full Version : Simple Metasequoia query

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 00:13
So, I'm working on this object, right:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1663/problemw.jpg

What I want to do is move the highlighted section onto the cylinder in a way that each point of the circular base of the first model will touch the corresponding point on the top of the second model (as you can see from the picture, the base of the first model is the same size as the top of the second). However, there doesn't seem to be any kind of "snap" feature like AutoCAD has (which I would use to select one object and drag it via one of its points to the other). I would just change the coordinates manually, but as you can see, the move handle is right in the middle of the object and I can't move it to any of the points.

In short, this is my problem:

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/7172/problem2.jpg

Any suggestions? :(

And finally, is there any option which will tell you the coordinates of a point (or line) you've selected?

Thanks in advance.

MyRaider4Life
11-07-09, 00:16
If you send it over to me I could try something, because lately I have been using Meta quite a bit. :)

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 00:19
Here you go (http://www.MegaShare.com/1221228). If you fix it, please tell me how! Thanks a lot :)

MyRaider4Life
11-07-09, 00:41
Well... What I did was,

I had to make the top curved tube a bit bigger and then I aligned it with the other tube and re-sized it to an appropriate size and then I used the create tool to make a new mesh that joins the points together, The I ended up with this end product...

http://i30.************/2zi7qsm.jpg

Here is the download Link... http://www.sendspace.com/file/ma2s1s

Enjoy :wve:

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 00:44
Awesome, thanks :D

How did you align it? Did you find out coordinates and do it manually or what?

MyRaider4Life
11-07-09, 00:49
Awesome, thanks :D

How did you align it? Did you find out coordinates and do it manually or what?

I did it manually. Only took about 30 seconds. :D

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 01:17
I did it manually. Only took about 30 seconds. :D

How? This is precisely what I was having trouble doing. But if you were able to align them properly, why did you need to create an intermediate mesh? I don't think there's anything wrong with the fix you made, I'm just asking to further my own Meta knowledge :)

God Horus
11-07-09, 01:29
I just downloaded to see it... and I was able to recreate the same thing MyRaider4Life did in just a few seconds. I just selected the upper part and dragged it over to the lower part and made sure everything was perfectly aligned. It was really simple.

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 01:35
That's what I've been trying to do - but how? If I click on one of the points and try to drag it like I would in AutoCAD, the object stays put, even when the whole thing is selected. I've checked, and it's not locked. Is there a certain button combination? I've tried holding down shift and ctrl on both right and left mouse buttons. Is there something in the options I haven't enabled?

sapper
11-07-09, 02:46
And finally, is there any option which will tell you the coordinates of a point

Use the MOVE command with ABS selected. The coordinates of the selected point will appear in the x y z boxes. See my remapping tutorial for more hints.

Can't snap an object to another object but can move and snap individual vertices. Move the vertex and when close to the vertex you want to snap to, press right mouse button.

Keep an eye on the statusbar under the Menubar it gives hints when using a command.

That's what I've been trying to do - but how? If I click on one of the points and try to drag it like I would in AutoCAD, the object stays put, even when the whole thing is selected. I've checked, and it's not locked. Is there a certain button combination? I've tried holding down shift and ctrl on both right and left mouse buttons. Is there something in the options I haven't enabled?

Make sure it's the current object by selecting it in the object list.

Shauni
11-07-09, 03:59
You just drag one point over another point and right click. When they're close enough to touch, drag your point to the next point you want to connect it to and right click. They should connect now. :)

Piega
11-07-09, 09:45
This could be so more simple. Select the center round primitive. Delete 3/4 and extrude the ends.

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 14:26
Use the MOVE command with ABS selected. The coordinates of the selected point will appear in the x y z boxes. See my remapping tutorial for more hints.

Great, thanks :)

Make sure it's the current object by selecting it in the object list.
Done. I still can't drag anything to anything else, though.

You just drag one point over another point and right click. When they're close enough to touch, drag your point to the next point you want to connect it to and right click. They should connect now. :)
Dragging doesn't work. As in, nothing actually moves. At all. Whether it's a object or a line or a point, there's nothing. The correct object is selected and isn't locked, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm seriously beginning to think I'm using the wrong version of Meta (what I have is the MetaLE freeware version; should I have something else?).

Does anyone know how to move the handle of an object from one point to another? Then I could just change the absolute coordinates and have the objects touching precisely where they need to.

This could be so more simple. Select the center round primitive. Delete 3/4 and extrude the ends.

I would, but then I'd still need to be able to move the object to the middle of the screen, so I'd still have this problem.

EDIT: It seems dragging is just something you can't do in the freeware version. I downloaded the shareware and I can drag stuff easily. Still, can anyone tell me if it's possible to change where the handle is?

Kapu
11-07-09, 16:09
EDIT: It seems dragging is just something you can't do in the freeware version. I downloaded the shareware and I can drag stuff easily. Still, can anyone tell me if it's possible to change where the handle is?

I have the freeware version and I can move things around with no problem. I just select the RECT button, left click in the top-left corner of my object and drag my mouse down to the bottom-right of my object and the whole object becomes selected. Then you just select the MOVE button and push or pull and the three strings (or use the middle square).

Jeissy
11-07-09, 16:15
^ I second that :)
Well, I'm not having trouble doing it myself as well. And it's just like everyone says - just drag, connect etc.
It's pretty simple, but don't worry Atlantean-Squid, you'll learn :)

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 16:21
I have the freeware version and I can move things around with no problem. I just select the RECT button, left click in the top-left corner of my object and drag my mouse down to the bottom-right of my object and the whole object becomes selected. Then you just select the MOVE button and push or pull and the three strings (or use the middle square).

That's what I've been doing, and like I said, it works fine in the regular version but not in the freeware edition.

Kapu
11-07-09, 17:41
Where did you get your free version, Atlantean-Squid? I got mine from Lara's Levelbase. My version is MetasequoiaLE Version 2.3.0 and I believe it is the freeware version. Maybe it is the shareware one...but doesn't it cost money to export meshes with the shareware version??

Shauni
11-07-09, 18:21
Have you tried the rotated or move features? If those don't work either I'd definitely suggest trying another version of Meta.

sapper
12-07-09, 08:13
Maybe you have a large grid setting and snap to grid enabled. When you drag a point in move you have to drag at least to the next grid position before it moves.