PDA

View Full Version : What locations do you prefer to raid in custom levels?

LaraCablara
11-07-09, 16:50
Random topic, I know.

But I'm having trouble deciding on a location. Also, what time of day do you prefer the level to take place in (night, afternoon, dawn..)

Hateshinai
11-07-09, 16:55
I have taste for jungle type levels or snowy levels as long as it stays in an old temple or such . I don't like Lara hunting in modern places .

And I prefer daytime, mostly dawn because it would make more sense for Lara to go there early to get as much sunlight as possible.

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 17:01
Something original. I see way too many "The [Lost/Forbidden/Cursed] [Temple/Palace/Catacombs/Artifact/Scrolls/Gemstone/Jungle] of [the Gods/the Elements/the Spirits/Doom/Darkness]" these days.

Tombraider95
11-07-09, 17:09
Snowy Places eg: Nepal, Tibet etc...

Hateshinai
11-07-09, 17:09
Now you're talking about the names, Atlantean-Squid

Atlantean-Squid
11-07-09, 17:15
They're names that describe a certain type of level. Even those which are extremely well-made with good gameplay take part in quite mundanely unoriginal locations.

Kapu
11-07-09, 17:45
Anwhere but Peru. I'm sick of that place. Ever since BTB 2008 there's been a massive storm of them and I'm really getting sick of looking at the same textures and such. (Your level would be an exception, though, LaraCablara. Very original!)

Personally I like sunset/nighttime.

KurtisandLara
11-07-09, 17:47
I like the time to be real early in the morning because well you can really make the level look beautiful by playing around with lighting.
I like places that i want to visit in real life. Thats the places i build also.
The only problem is places like..Egypt, Peru, mexico/mayan/south america areas are so overused :/.

mudkip25
11-07-09, 17:50
I love Oriental levels. My second favorite are Home Levels. then an appetizer of Cities.Jungle Stir Fried Noodles, A nice Greek beverage and a little bit of Egypt on the side. I'm just hungry right now...

I like the time to be real early in the morning because well you can really make the level look beautiful by playing around with lighting.
I like places that i want to visit in real life. Thats the places i build also.
The only problem is places like..Egypt, Peru, mexico/mayan/south america areas are so overused :/.

Lol, thats why I chose the levels for AOD2 :p, except for the small flashback level which is in Egypt...

KurtisandLara
11-07-09, 17:52
Ya :p. And the fort im building for the AOD2 project im really proud of because if it were real i would deffinitly go see it.

God Horus
11-07-09, 17:56
Anwhere but Peru. I'm sick of that place. Ever since BTB 2008 there's been a massive storm of them and I'm really getting sick of looking at the same textures and such. (Your level would be an exception, though, LaraCablara. Very original!)

You should get ready for a storm of Venice levels too (especially after Nadine released the textures/objects! :eek)

I love snowy levels, village type levels, and underwater levels (not really underwater like seas and oceans, but more like the level Sunken by Mr XY)

LaraCablara
11-07-09, 18:06
You should get ready for a storm of Venice levels too (especially after Nadine released the textures/objects! :eek)

I love snowy levels, village type levels, and underwater levels (not really underwater like seas and oceans, but more like the level Sunken by Mr XY)

I was actually going to build a Sunken Ship level next, but there are just not enough textures and objects to play around with at the moment.

Its probably why they are so rare :o.

Changeling
11-07-09, 18:09
I really love levels to either take place at dawn, twilight or the dead of night. I just love what you can do with the lighting and the horizon textures when it's not quite day and not quite night. And the dead of night adds a lot of atmosphere for me.

As for levels, I love TRC Ireland sort of levels, along with coastal levels, villages, mountains and cities. Woo-hoo!

God Horus
11-07-09, 18:11
There is an Aegean Sea level in my next game and I tried using TRC textures but they look...ugly! I took some textures from CG Textures and they look really good :tmb:

Shauni
11-07-09, 18:18
I mostly download Oriental levels, or anything on the top 10 most popular levels really :)

just croft
11-07-09, 18:44
Temples with dark indoors, open indoors, and outside temple areas. Any time of the day ;)

LaraRules81
11-07-09, 18:46
I can't really say what I like, but I can say what I don't: Anything futuristic, I'm not into them. :o

But I like exactly what just croft said :)

Razzi
11-07-09, 19:18
I prefer real world, realistic enviroments and puzzles with. Something like Bolivia in Legend and Mexico in TRU.

Tombraider95
11-07-09, 19:50

Some people like myself havent had the chance to experiance making a Peru level, so its a bit unfair for them to loose intrest if too many people make them. If you dont like the setting or location as its so popular, well you dont have to play it :)

ggctuk
11-07-09, 19:51
Egypt, Atlantis, Greece/Rome or base type levels are what I like.

Romantics Inc.
11-07-09, 20:36
My taste is surreal-like tombs...

AKA RICHARD LAWTHER :jmp:

MadCroy101
11-07-09, 21:39
Jungle places are always my pic, if not a huge castle-like place.

scoopy_loopy
12-07-09, 14:16
Anything but Peru :tea:

Not that Im not really enjoying your level :jmp:

LightningRider
12-07-09, 14:19
Something Relaxing, You know. Kinda TRU: Thailand-ish feel. Sunny, Calm, Lush, but not to much. They just have this untold beauty in them. ;)

Peanut
12-07-09, 16:35
Oriental.. And South American.. Only if they were unique.. I'm sick and tired of every one using the same Wads and textures... :rolleyes:

McGloomy
12-07-09, 16:37
a German castle
the Australian Outback
Roman Temples in Italy

Just a few, unused ideas... :)

Atlantean-Squid
12-07-09, 17:17
I'd like to see a TRLE game made by Hans Ruedi Giger and Stephen King. That'd be freaking awesome.

McGloomy
12-07-09, 20:58
I'd like to see a TRLE game made by Hans Ruedi Giger and Stephen King. That'd be freaking awesome.
...and it would be called "Lara's Nightmare" I guess. :p

Kapu
13-07-09, 00:11
Some people like myself havent had the chance to experiance making a Peru level, so its a bit unfair for them to loose intrest if too many people make them. If you dont like the setting or location as its so popular, well you dont have to play it :)

Dude, it's not unfair at all. Go ahead and build a Peru level, I don't care. Get your Peru level building experiance in. If it looks like your average Peru level then I won't download it.

I'll download a level if it looks really good, regardless of where it's set. If it looks amazing then I'll download it!

Hateshinai
13-07-09, 01:12
^
I'm fine with Peru levels as long as you can make something original and unique out of it.
But if you just throw in some of the BtB objects and TRA textures then don't expect high reviews and lots of congratulations for your level.

Kapu
13-07-09, 01:32
Absolutely, Hateshinai. Stranger's Daylight is set in Peru, but it looks so awesomely original that I'll definitely play it.

benjamin_2010
13-07-09, 05:14
I think levels with lots of swimming/water are fun. I'm pretty keen on any location, as long as there's stuff to explore. Sometimes I feel like level builders focus too much on making their level more difficult. I like stuff that is just fun to play.

Explorer
18-07-09, 15:47
Locations set in the jungle, temples, and modern places like the London levels from TR3. Greece based levels also.

Don't mind what time of day they are set in.

trlestew
18-07-09, 17:27
Underwater levels are my favorite.
Along with Venice and Oriental levels.

Titak
18-07-09, 17:57
I'm a sucker for old ruins/temples mixed with rough natural environments.
Of any kind really. Desert, jungle, snow, mountains, underwater, oriental, etc.

madtong
18-07-09, 19:38
I love everything except base and city levels... But i always had a crush on snowy levels, since i first played Tr2 Tibet levels... Man, just the sound of the snow under Lara feets...:o

Shauni
18-07-09, 20:01
^ Oh yes, snowy levels are fun. But I only play snowy levels around Christmas time ^_^

I already mentioned a few I like, but here's a better list xD
I like these level styles/locations:
Oriental, Manor, Snowy, City, Mountains, Temples, Castles.

I don't play (they can look quite nice, I just never play them) :
Underground, More Egypt, Labs, Base, Remakes, Space, anything too flashy, or jumping levels.

madtong
18-07-09, 20:07
I love everything except base and city levels... But i always had a crush on snowy levels, since i first played Tr2 Tibet levels... Man, just the sound of the snow under Lara feets...:o

I was forgetting saying one thing... I just hate those borings Manor levels:hea:... If i ever could make my level set , one of the levels gonna be on the Manor ruins, all burned down...

Shauni
18-07-09, 20:13
I was forgetting saying one thing... I just hate those borings Manor levels:hea:... If i ever could make my level set , one of the levels gonna be on the Manor ruins, all burned down...
haha! There are some good ones around. Ones that actually have fun tasks for you to do. The ones with nothing to do in can get boring! ;)

Seth94
18-07-09, 22:32
I like icy/snowy, oriental, high tech, castle locations. :D

God Horus
18-07-09, 22:50
^ Oooh, I forgot to mention also that I LOVE castle levels! We rarely get any, but just imagine playing in a huge castle with dungeons and stuff! :eek:

Kevin
18-07-09, 23:18
^
You should play Castle Riverrun 2 if you haven't, yet. Very beautiful castle, also with great dungeon part. :D

larafan25
19-07-09, 00:04
Venice:)

but I guess there will be a huge flood of them when BTB venice starts anyways....so I say castle levels:)

wait scratch that,we have a very small amount of haunted levels or halloween inspired levels:)

Pksstr
19-07-09, 00:15
Easter Island :p http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Island

snork
19-07-09, 00:30
Some people like myself havent had the chance to experiance making a Peru level, so its a bit unfair for them to loose intrest if too many people make them. If you dont like the setting or location as its so popular, well you dont have to play it

Just release your Peru Level next January or February and People will love it for being a different thing from the many BtB Venice Levels. :D