PDA

View Full Version : schools work expierience??

sheepydee
14-07-09, 22:34
hey :wve:

i was just wondering... well our school when pupils get the 4th year in secondary school they tell us about this work expirience stuff.. u kno like u get a week off school but instead you go and work with an employer that yu chose... well.. i havent bothered myself to do organise myself that and i heard if you dont do something they FORCE u to go in an army tihng or suttin?? they cant actually force me to can they??:( coz due to numerous personal reasons i literlly cant do it... however the school thinks pupils talk bull**** to get out of anything but i was wondering if they can actually force me? because i really just... cant

im only wondering...

xx_Hunt_xx
14-07-09, 22:40
They can NOT force you.
They will simple find you somthing else.
I had a similer expiernce i didnt bother to find anything, and the school found me a doctors receptionist.
The army is not even work expiernce. Plus i dont see them taking on school pupils for a week lol
Dont worry about it, your school can not force you to do somthing you dont want to.

sheepydee
14-07-09, 22:42
=\ they better not... coz right now i canny be doin wif all this rubbish ... coz in october a friend and i are leaving here anyway so wots the bloody point... and if they try to force me.. well i'll turn on the waterworks (hehe) and not do it because i literally cannot do this >.<"

Wana b like Lara
14-07-09, 22:43
No they won't! And don't where were you supposed to be working?

scion05
14-07-09, 22:43
Why not just do it, you'll enjoy it. I did mine in an old peoples home, and now volunteer there once or twice a week, I've only been back 90mins actually :)

sheepydee
14-07-09, 22:44
No they won't! And don't where were you supposed to be working?
we were supposed to choose ourselves.... however me bein a lazy wee ******* i didnt bother... i really hope they dont force me to doi antying :(

@ Scion : theres a whole load of reasons i cant do it... but if i tell my school them they think i'll be talkin bull****

xx_Hunt_xx
14-07-09, 22:47
In all fairness...if you didnt choose, you cant really pick and choose where you have to go.
If they said you had to choose and you just cudnt be bothered then they have a right i suppose to send you to another place of there choice.

sheepydee
14-07-09, 22:49
In all fairness...if you didnt choose, you cant really pick and choose where you have to go.
If they said you had to choose and you just cudnt be bothered then they have a right i suppose to send you to another place of there choice.
its not that couldnt be bothered....

1. i never heard of it until my mother got a phonecall asking why i wasnt at school (oops :p) and they were sayin suttin bout i never filled in a form for work expierience >.<"

2. well the school like give a list of specific things nd u choose w/e one u want then u have to find an employer that will have u for the week

Laralissa
14-07-09, 22:59
Well in all fairness you only have yourself to blame. Work experience can be a lot of fun, I really enjoyed mine. I worked in Drakies Primary for two weeks as a classroom assistant and it was really awesome :) I would love to do it again if I got the chance, but now Im on to finding actual full time work :p

They wont force you to work in the 'army' so thats absolute crap, but you might find you enjoy the placement they do arrange for you, so dont rule it out altogether. You'll need this experience, and if your plans to 'move away' with your friend do go ahead, then future employers (which you will need if you plan to survive on your own) will take kindly to the fact that youve shown enthusiasm for work experience in the past.

sheepydee
14-07-09, 23:02
Well in all fairness you only have yourself to blame. Work experience can be a lot of fun, I really enjoyed mine. I worked in Drakies Primary for two weeks as a classroom assistant and it was really awesome :) I would love to do it again if I got the chance, but now Im on to finding actual full time work :p

They wont force you to work in the 'army' so thats absolute crap, but you might find you enjoy the placement they do arrange for you, so dont rule it out altogether. You'll need this experience, and if your plans to 'move away' with your friend do go ahead, then future employers (which you will need if you plan to survive on your own) will take kindly to the fact that youve shown enthusiasm for work experience in the past.
LOL drakies :p what fun... well its too late apparntley anyway the forms should have been handed in already... i never found out till it was too late... but it depends if i get given a placement and if its something i really dont like im not doing it... even if its something i dont mind i still cant really do it due to a number of personal reasons.... and well... when i leave i have alternatives to getting money other than a job so...

Laralissa
14-07-09, 23:07
Personal reasons? I know if they're truly personal then you can't say over an internet forum but it would have to be extremely life threatening to stop you from being able to do work experience :p Honestly, they wont even have you doing much in the week. No matter what the job is, you'll mostly be shadowing other staff and wont be expected to work on your own right away. It's nothing strenuous, and I would seriously recommend you be a bit more enthusiastic about the opportunity :p It sounds like a hell of a lot of your 'problems' could be solved if you tried to take a more positive outlook on life. Im not trying to get at you or anything but sometimes you have to do things you dont necessarily like the sound of to get ahead.

Also, when you move away you will need a job. No question about it. Any other alternative is risky and I highly doubt it will be stable enough.

Wana b like Lara
14-07-09, 23:08
we were supposed to choose ourselves.... however me bein a lazy wee ******* i didnt bother... i really hope they dont force me to doi antying :(

@ Scion : theres a whole load of reasons i cant do it... but if i tell my school them they think i'll be talkin bull****
No Way! You got to choose?! :eek: SO unfair! :(

Choose marks and spencers they pay you 15 for lunch everyday! :D My friend did it there! :D I worked in a ceramics shop ... :pi:

sheepydee
14-07-09, 23:10
Personal reasons? I know if they're truly personal then you can't say over an internet forum but it would have to be extremely life threatening to stop you from being able to do work experience :p Honestly, they wont even have you doing much in the week. No matter what the job is, you'll mostly be shadowing other staff and wont be expected to work on your own right away. It's nothing strenuous, and I would seriously recommend you be a bit more enthusiastic about the opportunity :p It sounds like a hell of a lot of your 'problems' could be solved if you tried to take a more positive outlook on life. Im not trying to get at you or anything but sometimes you have to do things you dont necessarily like the sound of to get ahead.

Also, when you move away you will need a job. No question about it. Any other alternative is risky and I highly doubt it will be stable enough.
there not life threatning... however if i was to turn up at an employers with the sort of problems i have... its not going to look good at all thats one reason im not paticularly capable of doing it....

and when i do move away... i kno eventually i'll need a job (or one of us will me or my friend) however before that time comes i have a few shifty alternatives to getting money... which are risky but worth it

@ wannablikelara : LMAO Marks nd spencers loooooool

Laralissa
14-07-09, 23:14
there not life threatning... however if i was to turn up at an employers with the sort of problems i have... its not going to look good at all thats one reason im not paticularly capable of doing it....

@ wannablikelara : LMAO Marks nd spencers loooooool
and when i do move away... i kno eventually i'll need a job (or one of us will me or my friend) however before that time comes i have a few shifty alternatives to getting money... which are risky but worth it

I don't want to take this thread away from its original intention, but your plans for moving away don't sound very well thought out. Where are you moving? Are you moving in with family? If you're planning on surviving on your own (with or without this friend) you will most deffinitely need a job. And when that time comes, personal reasons will have to be overcome. No question about it. It sounds like you're just scared. Which is understandable when its something new, but this is something you just have to work through.

Seriously, you need to be a bit more positive. I would look forward to this work experience. Its a chance to get away from regular school for even a week, you'll meet new people and shock horror you might even enjoy it.

Cochrane
14-07-09, 23:17
So your plan for the future is to lead a life of crime, and then try to find a job when that no longer works out? I'll put my money in with those who say you should just go to school and try that work experience (if you can still get in there).

Wana b like Lara
14-07-09, 23:17
I did work exp. for 2 weeks (that's how school arranged it) and i spent 10 every day .. You do the maths ... :o

sheepydee
14-07-09, 23:18
I don't want to take this thread away from its original intention, but your plans for moving away don't sound very well thought out. Where are you moving? Are you moving in with family? If you're planning on surviving on your own (with or without this friend) you will most deffinitely need a job. And when that time comes, personal reasons will have to be overcome. No question about it. It sounds like you're just scared. Which is understandable when its something new, but this is something you just have to work through.

Seriously, you need to be a bit more positive. I would look forward to this work experience. Its a chance to get away from regular school for even a week, you'll meet new people and shock horror you might even enjoy it.
im sort of not going with family , and we dunt know where were going... and i am scared i know but see ... i know this is really ridiculous but i actually have a phobia of meeting new people ... like whne i went to secondary school you know like classes wuld be all mixed up and all this... i couldnt handle it at all.... and i do not get along wif new people well i really do not in the slightest... so theres no chance of enjoyment there and still... the constant personal problems im not discussing here stop me from actually doin it :( but its just i heard all this crap about if we dnt do anything we get forced to do sum crap wif the army... and i dont like the sound of that

@ Cochrane : who said it involved crime _

Laralissa
14-07-09, 23:20
Then you need to get actual help. Talk to somebody about your anxiety problems, because as hard as it is to hear, one day you're going to have to either work through it or just get over it altogether. You WILL need to meet new people someday. No choice about it, either you do, or you end up living on the streets basically, because yes, work does involve communication with different people.

You can't keep avoiding the situations, you're just gonna have to work through your issues and actually do something about them.

sheepydee
14-07-09, 23:23
Then you need to get actual help. Talk to somebody about your anxiety problems, because as hard as it is to hear, one day you're going to have to either work through it or just get over it altogether. You WILL need to meet new people someday. No choice about it, either you do, or you end up living on the streets basically, because yes, work does involve communication with different people.

You can't keep avoiding the situations, you're just gonna have to work through your issues and actually do something about them.
aye your right its just if i was to talk to my guidance for instance she'd be thinking im talking utter crap :( and i duno who else to talk to bout these things :p and yeah i know im gunna HAVE to face these problems sooner or later its jst... being in a fragile state of mind lately really doesnt help these things if u kno wot i mean

Laralissa
14-07-09, 23:26
aye your right its just if i was to talk to my guidance for instance she'd be thinking im talking utter crap :( and i duno who else to talk to bout these things :p and yeah i know im gunna HAVE to face these problems sooner or later its jst... being in a fragile state of mind lately really doesnt help these things if u kno wot i mean

Sheepy, you need to stop thinking that everyone is out to get you. I had the exact same problems as you when I was your age, but look at me now. And you know what I did? I talked to my guidance teacher. And she helped, believe it or not. These people are here to help you and you should seriously think about seeing them to discuss your fears. Nothing will ever get sorted if you just leave it be. No decent guidance teacher is going to think you're talking 'utter crap' - this negative attitude is weighing you down.

I also made an appointment with my doctor who arranged for me to have councelling, and that was a great opportunity for me to talk through the issues and get some real advice. You can do this, you just need to be a bit more assertive.

sheepydee
14-07-09, 23:30
Sheepy, you need to stop thinking that everyone is out to get you. I had the exact same problems as you when I was your age, but look at me now. And you know what I did? I talked to my guidance teacher. And she helped, believe it or not. These people are here to help you and you should seriously think about seeing them to discuss your fears. Nothing will ever get sorted if you just leave it be. No decent guidance teacher is going to think you're talking 'utter crap' - this negative attitude is weighing you down.

I also made an appointment with my doctor who arranged for me to have councelling, and that was a great opportunity for me to talk through the issues and get some real advice. You can do this, you just need to be a bit more assertive.
see the last time i talked to my guidance teacher ELIZABETH brown... god she didnt even apprehend what i was saying! it was a problem i had to sort out in my gaelic class coz of bad behaviour however i was tellin her how i wasnt able to do my work properly and she wasnt even listneing! she goes "yes.... yes.... yes..." nd that was all she didnt even talk to my teacher so i could sort it so why am i going to wanna go back to her and say these things?

Laralissa
14-07-09, 23:35
Well you need to talk to somebody. And if you honestly believe she wasn't doing her job right then you could have either asked to talk to another guidance teacher, or made a complaint.

I have to go now since I have work in the morning, but I really hope you decide to talk to somebody, be it a doctor, a councellor or hell even a friend/family member. As much as internet forums are good for chatting, you're never going to get anywhere by asking us for advice all the time - we don't know you, we dont know your history (quite rightly) and its hard to advise somebody when you can't talk to them in the flesh. Sometimes you have to go to the experts who can genuinly help you face to face.

Avoidance can only last so long, and thats not a good road to take.

sheepydee
14-07-09, 23:37
Well you need to talk to somebody. And if you honestly believe she wasn't doing her job right then you could have either asked to talk to another guidance teacher, or made a complaint.

I have to go now since I have work in the morning, but I really hope you decide to talk to somebody, be it a doctor, a councellor or hell even a friend/family member. As much as internet forums are good for chatting, you're never going to get anywhere by asking us for advice all the time - we don't know you, we dont know your history (quite rightly) and its hard to advise somebody when you can't talk to them in the flesh. Sometimes you have to go to the experts who can genuinly help you face to face.

Avoidance can only last so long, and thats not a good road to take.
=\ yeah well i'll see what i can do not much probably but i'll try

LaraLuvrrr
14-07-09, 23:38
I dont think they can force you... but I dont know your country's laws on that. Here in the U.S. we have something called the selective service or something and if you sign up they can force you to join the military but only if a draft becomes necessary. So I doubt they can force you. I recommend you do work though if you have the opportunity. I had the opportunity to work study and it was a very rewarding experience. I matured alot and gained valuable experience. And it's not as scary as you may think :)

Super Badnik
14-07-09, 23:41
No they cannot force you! I'd tell them to eff off if i were you:mad: At our school, if you didn't get a placement they just made you sit in the IT rooms and finish coursework. Luckily i got a placement that i really enjoyed:D

sheepydee
14-07-09, 23:41
^ well its a bit late... the forms should have bee handed in ( i didnt hear about it until too late) so i'll probably get given a placement and i'll probably not bother myself about it =/

Nenya awakens
14-07-09, 23:44
I never sorted out work experience myself, i knew that i was going to be a pody piercer and i was to young to work in a studio so i just stayed at school for the week and studied.

dont worry they cant send you into the army for a week.

Lara Lover
14-07-09, 23:47
I think you should just go for it. It's ONE week and it'll go on your CV which improves the likely chance of you getting a job.

Honestly, I really enjoyed myself being on work experience as it was a chance to be in the footsteps of someone you wanted to become, and it was a week outside of school. YAY!! :D I done my work experience in my primary school and I got to see my old teachers again :hug: But, I did lots of jobs too. Like photocoping, making banners, designing the schools set for their school Christmas show.. It was awesome. :tmb:

Honestly, just for it. :tmb: You'll really enjoy the one week off school! hehe. :wve:

pneboy
15-07-09, 01:13
if you dont find your own work, they make you stand on the street corner at night in skimpy clothing asking if anyone wants sex for money

sheepydee
15-07-09, 01:15
if you dont find your own work, they make you stand on the street corner at night in skimpy clothing asking if anyone wants sex for money
eh? they do not....

Tonyrobinson
15-07-09, 01:16
No, you can choose to stay in school a week. But to avoid social services you must go to school for that week and not pull a sicky:)