PDA

View Full Version : Ripping objects from TR levels

Mytly
17-07-09, 21:16
Is it possible to rip objects from TR levels (at least TR4 levels) using Wadmerger? I thought it would be possible using the "Load TR" button, but every time I try, I get an error: "Read TR -> Error reading level Decompressing level data", then "Run-time error '53': File not found: zlib.dll". Am I doing something wrong, or is this not possible at all?

TRF
17-07-09, 21:17
No, i believe you need to use: TRViewer.
But i haven't had much luck, because evrytime i'm looking for an object (WITH premission of the owner) TRViewer crashes for some reason...

Seth94
17-07-09, 21:21
With TR4 objects, you should be able to copy them over easily. Just load the TR4 wad on the right, and copy the objects over. It's easy because the objects are already in the right slots. ;)

With TR1, 2 and 3 objects, you use the Load TR button, and then load the data file of the TR level it is you want. Then copy it over into an appropriate slot. :)

ggctuk
17-07-09, 21:21
Yes, it's possible, but you're missing ZLIB.DLL and ZLIB32.DLL by the sounds of things. I am not 100% sure, but I think they're in the WADMerger Visual Basic Runtime 6 download package. If not, they're easy to find online.

TRF
17-07-09, 21:31
With TR4 objects, you should be able to copy them over easily. Just load the TR4 wad on the right, and copy the objects over. It's easy because the objects are already in the right slots. ;)

With TR1, 2 and 3 objects, you use the Load TR button, and then load the data file of the TR level it is you want. Then copy it over into an appropriate slot. :)

But what if you don't have the WAD of that level??
What do you do then, or did you just mentioned that?

Seth94
17-07-09, 21:33
But what if you don't have the WAD of that level??
What do you do then, or did you just mentioned that?

The WAD of what level? If it's a TR4 level, you can download them. If they are TR1, 2 or 3, you can insert the TR disks and get the data files from there. ;)

TRF
17-07-09, 21:43
But the data isn't the WAD right??
Or am i just being confused???

madtong
17-07-09, 21:46
The WAD of what level? If it's a TR4 level, you can download them. If they are TR1, 2 or 3, you can insert the TR disks and get the data files from there. ;)

Yes, but wads are not always avaliable... You can use tr2wad but on the new custom levels it have some problem, as the object.dat ( or something near to that ) is not updated... I did search a way to updated that file but i could not find this...:hea:

Mytly
17-07-09, 21:50
Just to clarify - I want to rip objects from the data files of TR4 - for levels whose wads are not provided with the LE. Yes, I guess I could simply download the wads (I think they're available on TR Search), but I thought it would be easier to learn to rip them from my own copy of the game.

Yes, it's possible, but you're missing ZLIB.DLL and ZLIB32.DLL by the sounds of things. I am not 100% sure, but I think they're in the WADMerger Visual Basic Runtime 6 download package. If not, they're easy to find online.
Ok, thanks, I'll try that. :)

No, i believe you need to use: TRViewer.
But i haven't had much luck, because evrytime i'm looking for an object (WITH premission of the owner) TRViewer crashes for some reason...
I'll try TRviewer as well. Though I intend to use it only on the official games, not anyone else's levels.

ggctuk
17-07-09, 21:55
TRViewer doesn't work with WADs. TRViewer islike WADMerger for DXTRE3D, so it works with TR Levels.

madtong
17-07-09, 22:03
The tool to extract wads from tr4 is tr2wad but, as i said before, it have some problems with the recent custom levels...

ggctuk
17-07-09, 22:06
WADMerger can extract objects. With TR4 levels, if you double-click the little arrow by the TR4 file's name in the WADMerger window, you can copy all items over.

TR2WAD is an obsolete program, it's years since it was last updated, Michiel discontinued it for WADmerger.

madtong
17-07-09, 23:30
WADMerger can extract objects. With TR4 levels, if you double-click the little arrow by the TR4 file's name in the WADMerger window, you can copy all items over.

TR2WAD is an obsolete program, it's years since it was last updated, Michiel discontinued it for WADmerger.

Oh, must try that one of this days, there is somethings ive seen on some customs levels that were quit interesting to use. tanks:hug:

scoopy_loopy
18-07-09, 01:36
My WADMerger rips from TR levels just fine?

Well - apart from tr4. It tells me its an unknown TR Version. :eek:

EssGee
18-07-09, 10:03
Wonders why we bother writing Tutorials?????:rolleyes:

It's all explained clearly in Chapter 1 of this tute:
http://www.skribblerz.com/tuts/tuts2/EssGeeWadmergerSnake.htm

Use The 'Load TR' button to load data files with extension .tr4, .tr2, .phd, .trc. You don't need a wad file. All levels from the TR4 CD should be able to opened using this method. Then you can copy them across to a new of existing wad that you are working on.

Use 'Load Wad' button to load ....... wads :p.

And for those using it to open other builders tr levels and are thinking about ripping custom objects from them, do the right thing and make sure you write and ask the builder for permission to use their objects, and if you have permission, then make sure you credit them in your game.

Pemon
18-07-09, 11:05
Is it possible to rip objects from TR levels (at least TR4 levels) using Wadmerger? I thought it would be possible using the "Load TR" button, but every time I try, I get an error: "Read TR -> Error reading level Decompressing level data", then "Run-time error '53': File not found: zlib.dll". Am I doing something wrong, or is this not possible at all?
That error is because you need to install the VB6 in the wadmerger program folder.
You can get it from here: http://www.trsearch.org/Tools/5/

Mytly
19-07-09, 20:38
Thanks for your help, everyone. I installed Visual Basic Runtime 6 and I can now load TR4 files and rip objects from them easily. Stupid of me not to install that earlier. :o

EssGee - thanks for the link. I didn't think of looking on Skribblerz for a tutorial. I looked on TRSearch (where I downloaded Wadmerger from), but there wasn't one.

dizzydoil
19-07-09, 20:50
:whi:

Mytly
19-07-09, 20:52
I already solved the problem - see the post above yours. ;)

dizzydoil
19-07-09, 20:55
Ah :o. I only read the first post.