PDA

View Full Version : Lara's research team?

Dia2blo
17-07-09, 23:35
I decided to post this here after accidentally stumbling across the idea in another thread. This is in reference to the flashback in Paraiso. Here is the original post:

I was just thinking, and in Amanda's biography, it describes the event as Lara having "her team of graduate students". This suggests that Lara was in fact the teacher, and the fact that she herself was privately tutored also verifies this. Doesn't that mean that Lara could have been in her twenties or so during the events of Paraiso?

I originally thought that Lara was one of the students, yet now it seems otherwise. This would also be backed by the fact that it was Lara's expedition "while excavating a tomb Lara believed contained the last queen of Tiwanaku, her team... ". It just seems odd that an entire research team would investigate something one of their student's discovered, yet if Lara was the teacher this would make more sense.

Also, the fact that Lara was concerned with "structural concerns" could show her duty of care towards her students, and perhaps even the tragedy that took place was the reason she flew solo afterwards.

So basically all i have managed to establish here, is that Lara may not have been as young in that flashback as previously suspected...

EDIT: I thought it was a logical theory but i guess i just got carried away :(

Uzi master
18-07-09, 00:07
I think you got some miss information because if lara was the teacher it would seem a little wierd for her to be good friends with the students since she'd be a lot older, and about the structural concerns Lara was the sensible one and always is while amanda is into fantasy worlds and that sort of thing.

Dia2blo
18-07-09, 00:19
I think you got some miss information because if lara was the teacher it would seem a little wierd for her to be good friends with the students since she'd be a lot older, and about the structural concerns Lara was the sensible one and always is while amanda is into fantasy worlds and that sort of thing.

I do understand that, and like i already said i generally followed the assumption that Lara was a student, i just like to think it is a possibility.

Sheen
18-07-09, 08:03
Ah, yes Lara couldn't of been the teacher judging by what Uzi Master just explained, she would of been a lot older, and not the same age/around the same age as Amanda.

LightningRider
18-07-09, 08:17
Well her father is an archeologist isn't he? Wouldn't Lara know what to do, assuming she's went on expeditions with her, And be somehow a Teacher?

Or maybe the most trained students are given their own team that thye have to take care of on expeditions. ;)

scremanie
18-07-09, 09:53
I'm guessing that Lara is and was more trained then the others at the time, including Amanda.. so of course she could advance at a rapid rate. So yes, she could have been the teacher, but started the program and research as a student the same time as Amanda, thats how they became friends. But because Lara was more experienced, she would have advanced much faster.. I think Dia2blo is right. I picked up on those notes too, but I just didn't think other. :)

Dennis's Mom
18-07-09, 13:52
I don't think she was the teacher. The attitudes of the other team members are far too casual towards her for her to be the teacher. I had many professors I was friendly with, but I never would have hollered at them to hurry up in such a way.

If it were true, I think it would have been put forward as such. I can even see Amanda later in the game making a snide remark "who's the teacher now?"

scremanie
18-07-09, 15:24
^ Picture it like this.

Your a student and a girl that started the same program as you, at the same time, became friends with you, you and her would be in the same classes for a couple of years, you and her became great friends. But she got so advanced in her work that she started to improve rapidly, and her father is a well known archeologist. She advanced so far in her work that she knew everything that she had to learn already. Her father pulled a few strings and spent a bit of money. She became a teacher at that same school to help the less advanced.. you. It would just be second nature to joke around with her if she lead you and a team of others on a dig site. She is after all, your friend, and you don't see her having authority over you because she is the same age as you and it just feels as though she is still a student.

That could have happened to Amanda. Just because she jokes with Lara and tells her to hurry, does not mean that Amanda was not a pupil of Lara's. That could have been Lara's first time to lead a team at a dig site. And why would Amanda say "who's the teacher now?" if she was not teaching her? sure she told Lara how the swords and the daises work, but that doesn't mean that she would make a mark about being a teacher..

thats just how I see it :)

Mytly
19-07-09, 23:19
Why the unnecessarily complicated scenario? "Her team of graduate students" probably means that Lara was part of that team, not its leader.