PDA

View Full Version : US government 0 = Civil Liberties Union 1

tlr online
30-09-04, 14:21
A controversial provision in the Patriot Act empowering the FBI to demand detailed customer records from communications providers and carriers without a court order has been struck down.

Since the Act was rammed through Congress, the Feds have been permitted to obtain personal information about anyone merely by issuing a so-called 'national security letter.' In true Gestapo style, the recipient of such a letter is forbidden to disclose the fact that a demand for information has been made.

US District Judge Victor Marrero found that these provisions of the Act violate the Fourth Amendment by preventing a challenge to government search and seizure, and the First Amendment because the non-disclosure provision amounts to prior restraint of speech.

The ruling forbids the government to issue national security letters or to enforce the non-disclosure provision, but the judge has not yet enacted the judgment because the government is expected to mount an appeal.

www.theregister.co.uk (http://www.theregister.co.uk)

Simulation
01-10-04, 22:04
I wonder how long it took them to come up with the acronym USA PATRIOT Act (http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html) just to sweeten the pill.

Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism.

In other words, Government can take away nearly all your privacy rights. Apparently, only one senator spoke up against this new law?

[ 01. October 2004, 23:22: Message edited by: Simulation ]

LARAMANIAC
01-10-04, 22:19
Its so sad and frightening that governements are trying to use the fear of terrorism against their own citiizens in this way. Having just watched Bowling for Columbine in the past couple of weeks, let me just say that I am glad I am not an American citizen. No offense to our American friends, but their government is feeding on their fear of terror and turning it against them. Sad!!!! :( Glad sanity prevailed this time at least.

[ 01. October 2004, 23:20: Message edited by: LARAMANIAC ]

Simulation
01-10-04, 22:25
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC:
Glad sanity prevailed this time at least.I think it is a case of "Watch this Space". It will be interesting to see how politically independent the judiciary is?

Draco
02-10-04, 21:39
I am not a fan of the PA personally.