PDA

View Full Version : Should CD give us a TR Level Editor?

TRULuverzz
22-07-09, 15:31
since core kindly gave us a level editor, there have been a massive load of succesful TRLE custom games made by fellow users here :tmb:
but (a question for level editor's and level players) would you want crystal dymanics to offer us their very own tomb raider level editor, as to challenge level editor's into creating a more sophisticated level using their version of LE and for the level players to enjoy the CD TRLE experience more, or do you think it's a waste for them to provide a level editor and you'd be better using Cores level editor?
if somebody can make this a poll i'd be gladly happy for that :D
Anyway i vote yes for CD to give us a level editor although i don't mind Cores level editor :tmb:

Thanks for reading! again. if you think it's unnecessary that a thread like this should be created please close it.

ggctuk
22-07-09, 15:35
Yes, I'd love an editor for TRL/A but we're never going to get it. :(

Peanut
22-07-09, 15:36
I would like it.. But, it would be too complicated! The Level Editor is easy to use! But The Engine would be far too hard to get working!

amore-guy
22-07-09, 15:55
I think ir would be cool but i think its way too complicated cuz maybe it could be glitchtXD :D:p:p

stranger1992
22-07-09, 16:04

TRU/TRA/TRL is made in 3ds max. It is moddelled and textures in that program. Then, the engine they use adds the collision. LEarn 3d moddelling...and then ask for an engine. ;)

scremanie
22-07-09, 16:11
I would love it :)

I was thinking about this the other day actually. :D

TRULuverzz
22-07-09, 16:23
I would love it :)

I was thinking about this the other day actually. :D

OMG really, sme here. if CD did release a level editor i'd make a larson game out of it :D

scremanie
22-07-09, 16:26
OMG really, sme here. if CD did release a level editor i'd make a larson game out of it :D

OMG!! that would me awesome! :jmp: I never thought about making other characters! I would do an Amanda or Kurtis story :cool:

TRULuverzz
22-07-09, 16:29
OMG!! that would me awesome! :jmp: I never thought about making other characters! I would do an Amanda or Kurtis story :cool:

what would it be about XD

nowid50
22-07-09, 16:29
Who would ever be able to do levels with it supposing that every level are made within Maya... :(

larafan25
22-07-09, 17:32
^have you checked out the unreal engine,unreal editor?:)

same deal basically:)

you would have and engine with all the proper plugins and then have the editor,so it would be sort of one ...program(hard to explain:))

but I think we could have some pretty good levels with a TRL and TRA editor:)

Phys
22-07-09, 17:36
This has been discussed many times before. I personally think a new level editor (it wouldn't be a level editor as such) would only be useful to experienced object creators. Maybe such as Piega, or Titak? I know I can make simple objects, but i'd still certainly stick with TRLE if a new editor came out. Plus I don't mind the blockyness :D It's all we have left of the original games. I'm happy with us continually enhancing the TRLE Engine.

madtong
22-07-09, 17:44
This has been discussed many times before. I personally think a new level editor (it wouldn't be a level editor as such) would only be useful to experienced object creators. Maybe such as Piega, or Titak? I know I can make simple objects, but i'd still certainly stick with TRLE if a new editor came out. Plus I don't mind the blockyness :D It's all we have left of the original games. I'm happy with us continually enhancing the TRLE Engine.

Yes, it was discussed many times and the awser is still the same : no way, it would be much complicated for average folks like 95% of us...:(

nowid50
22-07-09, 17:49
And then, already it takes months to make "good levels" while we need almost 2 years of experience to begin making what we want... :(

Imagine designing a level in Meta (for basic)... It would take years for ONE level ! :eek:

ajewers
22-07-09, 18:10
Well We could be heading in that direction, with stuff like meta2tr, though the only obsticle being collision?

Whats so great about the block system is its amazing ability to restrict gameplay, and make it endlessly variable at the same time.

In say legend, you climb across obstacles that although look like part of the scenery, are normally quite obvious, whereas with the simple, block based editor, everything looks so similar it can make it confusing as to where you must go next. When used effectively this editor is still fine, though the graphics drawbacks are outdating it very quickly.

As to your question, yeh i'd love to have a go at that editor, but i'd probably fail harder and faster than i did with this one! lol.

mudkip25
22-07-09, 18:32
I'd stick to the old one. It took me a long time to learn everything. Getting a new editor is like switching from the oldest phone in history to an Iphone

Titak
22-07-09, 20:55
This has been discussed many times before. I personally think a new level editor (it wouldn't be a level editor as such) would only be useful to experienced object creators. Maybe such as Piega, or Titak? I know I can make simple objects, but i'd still certainly stick with TRLE if a new editor came out. Plus I don't mind the blockyness :D It's all we have left of the original games. I'm happy with us continually enhancing the TRLE Engine.One catch... I wouldn't be able to create an object in 3D Max or Maya if my life depended on it... :vlol:

Then again, if CD would give us a way to make our own TRL/TRA style levels (I'de prefer TRA because it seems to have more of the old TRLE stuff included) I'd certainly sit my ass down to finally learn it. :D

wdavid
22-07-09, 21:08
It would be very good. :D
I'd prefer TR- legend because i like the Biker outfit and the level at Cornwall.:)
That part of the game is beautiful...
But i'm afraid that we won't ever get that editor:(:(

Titak
22-07-09, 21:10
The TRL England level is one of my favorites, especially the second part of it, when Lara enters those catacombs. Quite spooky. :D

Since the TRL and TRA engines are similar (not counting the Next Gen graphics of TRL) they could be put together so we can use the best of both, whatever we would like to use. :D

stranger1992
22-07-09, 21:13
Ahh moddelling in 3ds max is not hard, easier then meta :D. Even I can do it. :D

TRULuverzz
22-07-09, 22:06
One catch... I wouldn't be able to create an object in 3D Max or Maya if my life depended on it... :vlol:

Then again, if CD would give us a way to make our own TRL/TRA style levels (I'de prefer TRA because it seems to have more of the old TRLE stuff included) I'd certainly sit my ass down to finally learn it. :D

sme here titak! i prefer TRA level editor's rather than next gen TRL and TRU

KurtisandLara
22-07-09, 22:33
Me too i actually like TRA more then TRL and i want that thing to pop up on the screen saying "Checkpoint" that probably is possible with the TRLE but its not as good...:D

laracroftswest
22-07-09, 22:48
I would love one. Would it ever happen... probably not.

queo_Lita
23-07-09, 03:50
I think the core to this question lies within what we've recently seen in TRLE. More and more levels attempt to immitate Crystal's TRs. Naturally, one has to wonder - hey, what if it was all already there? And then the plea for a Crystal LE begins.
I believe Crystal TRLE (can we call it an editor if it's just a combo of converters and 3D programs?) would never be worth it in the long run - would need quite the engine to support, would give a lot of people headaches and would barely be customizable by the average builder (or coder, I guess).
I'd say let's see if we can squeeze some more creativity out of "le ole TRLE", if not - at least we're keeping up the spirit of old TRs alive.
Good luck to all level builders out there.

Ceamonks890
23-07-09, 04:47
Nah, I don't think a CD Level Editor would be as easy to use as the one we've all got now. Besides, from what I've seen so far with the current LE, we've got already a lot of things available in the LE that are also possible in Crystal's games, like the diary, weather changes, outfits, quite a lot of their animations etc. Basically, the only improvements would be graphics and Underworld's ability to shoot while hanging, swimming etc. Besides, the LE's graphics are up to PS2 level now(sort of). I'd rather have an AoD engine than CD's games engine.

TRULuverzz
23-07-09, 05:15
BTW im not talking about the TRL or TRU next gen level editors.
i'm talking about what if CD game us a TRA level editor?
would it be easier :D?

!Lara Croft!
23-07-09, 12:17
/\ /\The only real difference is the textures (Bump maps etc) other than that they are almost identical.

queo_Lita
23-07-09, 12:20
i'm talking about what if CD game us a TRA level editor?
would it be easier :D?
Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Tomb Raider Underworld all use the same engine, only slightly modified to fit the needs and visuals (like TR1-C).
It's true that Anniversary had a better TR feeling, but that is entirely because of who made the game and how they made it (Core, Crystal only imitated it - therefore, no credit). Engine was the same.
The problem is that we want an "editor" like Core's, but the fact is Crystal don't even have one. They design everything separately, put it together and compress it. Complicated game scripts are added in order to imitate triggers without actually having ones (this saves space and later on time). This I'm not sure about, but I think that surfaces that Lara can grab a hold of/interact with are also scripted separately (ergo everything is predicted and the player can not grab on to something they didn't think you should). I also believe Lara's jumps are done similarly where path finding scripts are involved too. It's like they're a team of software and design engineers.
But seriously- does it sound like it can produce a good game? More importantly has it?

1upMushroom
23-07-09, 13:39
TRL, TRA or TRU, it doesn't make that much of a difference.

When our LE came out, it only had Egyptian TGA files and WAD files.

Lara had one outfit.

Then a TGA mapper was designed (Tbuilder), so that people could import new textures into their files, and people began ripping textures from the earlier games. Some designed their own TGA files.

STRpix was promoted as a means of re-texturing objects, complemented by Metasequoia.

People began retexturing Lara, to give her various outfits. Retexturing objects.
Meshing new objects, redoing Lara's meshes.

An engine patcher program (TREP) was released so that objects could behave in new ways, and new triggers could be used.
And a next-gen version of the editor was released.

ALL of this began with one rather low-quality editor, with 1 outfit, Egyptian WADs and TGAs, and limited object and trigger options.

What am I saying?
Whatever the limitations of a new editor may be, this community will push those limits, and find new ground. :D

What a great bunch of people to be a part of! :D

Now for the question of practicality, yes, there may be a lot to learn, but people could learn.
First will be the few people who will grab hold of the new editor, (the pioneers) and start releasing levels, then more and more people will start learning, as the current editor looks more and more out-dated.

Before you know it, the TRA editor would be the norm, and the archives, objects, textures and auxilliary programs would be as rich and varied as we now have.

Personally, I think a TRA editor would be fantastic. :D

aktrekker
24-07-09, 07:28
Of course people could learn to use a new game system. But probably not as many, meaning we would lose alot of builders.
The real question is who can afford thousands of dollars worth of software for this hobby? If you have nothing better to spend your money on, you need to get a life. One that isn't in your parents home :p