PDA

View Full Version : GBA vs. DS versions of Legend

Ward Dragon
25-07-09, 06:51
I'm probably going to get a DS Lite soon and I saw a Youtube video of Legend on it. It actually looked adorable so I am considering buying it. However I noticed that there are two versions -- GBA and DS. Both will play on a DS Lite, so which do I get? What are the differences? Thanks :)

michaeldt
25-07-09, 07:53
I have only played the DS version out of the two. But I have seen some videos of the GBA version and here is some of the differences I can pick out:

. DS version has a explorable 3D environment, GBA is a 2D sidescreen.
. DS version actually has Lara different Lara models with different weapons, in GBA Lara always uses her pistols, but when you change weapons, it show at the top of the screen you have got a different weapon but Lara still holds her pistols.
. DS version has pre recorded shortened cutscenes taken from PS2, GBA has pre rendered art storyboard cutscenes.
. Answers breed questions cutscene on DS is allot easier to understand than on GBA.

Both versions have tried to mimick the game in all of the same ways, but I can safely say that there are some continuity errors in them. They both still have interactive cutscenes too. In both versions, Lara is a 2D animated GIF (I think) picture, In TRU DS Lara is a 3D character model. There are also minigames in each version :)

Ward Dragon
25-07-09, 08:09
Thank you :D I definitely intend to get the DS version of TRU since I've heard such great things about it here. I decided what the hell, I may as well get the DS version of Legend too and then I discovered that my game store only has the GBA version :p So thanks for explaining the differences :D

I think I'll get the GBA version since it's the only one I can find. It will be like playing Jill of the Jungle or one of those other really old side-scrolling platformers :p

Mokono
25-07-09, 08:23
I never knew they released a GBA version :eek:!

Looks pretty nice if you ask me...
ce_QndNscdY

And the DS version almost took my jaw to the ground...
Q5kbjJm73uo

michaeldt
25-07-09, 08:28
And the DS version almost took my jaw to the ground...
Q5kbjJm73uo

in a good or bad way? :confused:

Ward Dragon
25-07-09, 08:30
Ah, thanks for the videos :D The DS version does look surprisingly similar to the main version of the game :eek: The GBA version definitely has the nostalgic feeling going for it though :p *goes to looks for videos of mini-games*

michaeldt
25-07-09, 08:31
I never knew they released a GBA version :eek:!

you'd be surprised how many platforms TRL was released on ;) :D

Mokono
25-07-09, 08:50
Ah, thanks for the videos :D 1) The DS version does look surprisingly similar to the main version of the game :eek: 2) The GBA version definitely has the nostalgic feeling going for it though :p *goes to looks for videos of mini-games*

You know, we may argue about how many sunbeams hits the Earth, but i totally agree with you here :D. The DS version looks fabulous... I never expected those animated camera shots: Like tr4! That pretty much makes me wanna go into the TRL thread and troll the anti-TRL thrälls. Also i liked how they cropped the water, it's new for me and looks fresh... I played the Nokia 60's series version and i was amazed too, cause the main menú looks like too much to ask for a cellphone back in 2004 (the date of the phones, not the game :p), but they ported it and looked stunning.

Oh, yes... Playing a GBA is priceless, even more if you take in count that's supposed to be a portable Super Nintendo :D. The oldschool feeling about this makes me wanna play it there as well... Damn money!

Here's a preview of the Nokia gameplay (i know a Penguin with a Nokia that must get this ;))...

5Pp2Ar8jzTI

you'd be surprised how many platforms TRL was released on ;) :D

I actually would be glad to know to what platforms it was ported... If it is not that offtopic, could you please post the list?

michaeldt
25-07-09, 08:54
Y
I actually would be glad to know to what platforms it was ported... If it is not that offtopic, could you please post the list?

. Playstation 2
. Playstation portable (PSP)
. XBOX
. XBOX360
. PC
. Game Boy Advance
. Nintendo DS
. Gamecube
. Mobile Phone

that is all I know of :)

IMO, from the looks of the mobile version, it should have been ported to the DS.

Ward Dragon
25-07-09, 08:56
I just saw videos of Bolivia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGILVrrgqp8) and the ending cutscene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R6EYQbgk5w) on the GBA version and I don't think I'll be buying it after all :o The utilization of the two screens (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAkFPR4pP_I) on the DS version looks pretty sweet, though :p

Edit: @Mokono, that was on a cell phone? :eek: That looks really good for a phone (plus catsuit is better than dress, couldn't resist saying :p)

As for on/off topic, this is my thread and I don't really care if it gets derailed as long as the discussion is interesting :D So post away as long as it's somewhat marginally related to Legend or handheld gaming :tmb:

Edit 2: Holy crap, she grappled a swing-pole and then climbed up to it and flipped around it! Why couldn't we do that in the main version of the game! (Or TRA and TRU) :eek: And she took cover behind a chest-high wall! :eek: Now I want the cell-phone version of the game :vlol:

And she has the AOD outfit in England? :confused: (Awesome but surprising nonetheless :p)

Mokono
25-07-09, 09:21
Are you serious about GBA? I found it awesome! I mean, this is epic:

http://i26.************/9kw1ea.jpg

However, this is lulz :vlol::

http://i32.************/2r451km.gif

Legend works fine in my S60 V2, and the phone price had reach the bottom recently, so you might buy phone plus game if you want to :D... I'm still stuck in the final level... Oh, and it has an alternate ending ;).

As for on/off topic, this is my thread(...)

That is sooo Bannhammah (http://i27.************/121wpwo.gif)...

@michaeldt: Thanks for that buddy :tmb:. *Youtube-searching-legend-for-every-platform mode on*

Ward Dragon
25-07-09, 09:37
Are you serious about GBA? I found it awesome! I mean, this is epic:

http://i26.************/9kw1ea.jpg

However, this is lulz :vlol::

http://i32.************/2r451km.gif

I agree that the comic style is very interesting. However, I would have had no clue what was going on if I didn't already know from the main version of the game :p Mostly I was disappointed at how short Bolivia looked. I figured if it was a cheap side-scrolling 2D game then at least it would be a lot longer since the levels are much easier to make.

Legend works fine in my S60 V2, and the phone price had reach the bottom recently, so you might buy phone plus game if you want to :D... I'm still stuck in the final level... Oh, and it has an alternate ending ;).

Possibly, if I can figure out where to buy Nokia phones (I don't care too much about cell phones so I don't pay attention to that). There's no way my current cheap phone could run any games :p Too bad they didn't make an arcade version of the phone game so I could play on my PC or 360 :p

That is sooo Bannhammah (http://i27.************/121wpwo.gif)...

Actually it was the opposite of the Banhammah. It was the anti-Banhammah :pi:

Johnnay
25-07-09, 10:06
I agree that the comic style is very interesting. However, I would have had no clue what was going on if I didn't already know from the main version of the game :p Mostly I was disappointed at how short Bolivia looked. I figured if it was a cheap side-scrolling 2D game then at least it would be a lot longer since the levels are much easier to make.

Possibly, if I can figure out where to buy Nokia phones (I don't care too much about cell phones so I don't pay attention to that). There's no way my current cheap phone could run any games :p Too bad they didn't make an arcade version of the phone game so I could play on my PC or 360 :p

Actually it was the opposite of the Banhammah. It was the anti-Banhammah :pi:
:vlol:

michaeldt
25-07-09, 11:11
Oh, and it has an alternate ending ;).

what is the alternate ending? :)

Mokono
25-07-09, 20:48
what is the alternate ending? :)

*spoilers*
Basically is not really an alternate ending; i mean, the game ends in London, not in Bolivia... So the goals of Lara are somehow changed.

michaeldt
26-07-09, 11:15
*spoilers*
Basically is not really an alternate ending; i mean, the game ends in London, not in Bolivia... So the goals of Lara are somehow changed.

what are her new goals? and how does it end in England? :)

Mytly
26-07-09, 19:46
Edit 2: Holy crap, she grappled a swing-pole and then climbed up to it and flipped around it! Why couldn't we do that in the main version of the game! (Or TRA and TRU) :eek: And she took cover behind a chest-high wall! :eek:
The phone version looks really great, doesn't it? Some of the moves are really great - like the grapple to swingpole one, and shooting backwards while crouching! - really made my jaw drop. Hell, we didn't even have such moves in TRU, even with all its "What could Lara do" hype. :p

The DS version looks really nice too - Nepal looks almost identical to the old gen version on PC/PS2. :)

michaeldt
27-07-09, 07:42
for those who have played TRL GBA. What are the motorbike sequences like? and how are they managed?

Lara Fan 4Life
27-07-09, 10:17
The phone version of Legend did really impress me. Some of Lara's moves should have been in the console versions, and the shooting backwards move was great. We need to see that in TR9. :D

Definitely get Legend for DS. Good game, but Underworld on DS is SO much better, but start of with Legend DS first. I have to check out that GBA version. Love them comic book style cutscenes. =]

Larson_1988
27-07-09, 10:33
for those who have played TRL GBA. What are the motorbike sequences like? and how are they managed?

It's an overhead view very much like the oldschool GTA games. :D But it's extremely difficult to control the bike. And they're not as long as in the console versions.

just croft
27-07-09, 10:37
The nokia version seems nice... the same story played differently. As for graphics they are not bad at all but then again that's something that doesn't bother me much, I mean if they are top notch then bring it but what matters the most is the game itself and from that video it seems like a different expirience.

RetardedRaider
27-07-09, 10:52
The GBA and DS versions have their own advantages/disadvantages for me.
GBA:
The Good:
Very smooth framerate and no lag.
Interesting music.
Piranhas in the Bolivia waters. LOL.
Very responsive controls.
Mini games and other unlockables.

The Bad:
You really won't get the story because it's like a comic strip.
When Lara holds a shotgun/rifle, she still holds her 2 guns. (No animation change)
Final Boss Battle was two easy.

DS:
The Good:
Touch Screen Puzzles, Combat, and Treasures.
Swimming controls are nice. (2 screens)
3D environment looks okay for a DS.
Cutscenes are now videos.
More music, mini-games and unlockables.
More puzzles. This time it looks closer to the PS2 game in terms of level design.
Different weapons have been expanded. For example shotgun, and Assault Rifle have their own animations.

The Bad:
Occasional lagging, and the framrate is not smooth.
(In GBA Lara's climbing animations were around 15 frames, while in the DS it's trimmed to 6 in my opinion.)
Overresponsive and ugly rushed controls.
(Sometimes she wont grab ledges/poles/etc.)
The physics are messed up.
(Looks rushed. Stuff fall too fast, etc.)
Cutscenes (which are now videos) are low quality.
Combat sucks! Lara is very innacurate when you shoot using the A button. You have to touch the screen.
Targeting in combat is very tedious.

That't it, I guess. :D

Lara Fan 4Life
27-07-09, 11:13
Underworld DS improves highly in the bad that RetardedRaider pointed out. :tmb:

Cristina
27-07-09, 11:48
Both versions look fun! :D

Ward Dragon
27-07-09, 12:11
The phone version looks really great, doesn't it? Some of the moves are really great - like the grapple to swingpole one, and shooting backwards while crouching! - really made my jaw drop. Hell, we didn't even have such moves in TRU, even with all its "What could Lara do" hype. :p

The DS version looks really nice too - Nepal looks almost identical to the old gen version on PC/PS2. :)

Exactly what I was thinking :D If I had a Nokia phone, I'd get that version of Legend.

Definitely get Legend for DS. Good game, but Underworld on DS is SO much better, but start of with Legend DS first. I have to check out that GBA version. Love them comic book style cutscenes. =]

I definitely intend to get TRU on DS. Unfortunately none of the stores near me have the DS version of Legend (but they do have the GBA version). I guess if I ever see the DS version of Legend I'll get it just to see what it's like, but I probably won't find it.

The GBA and DS versions have their own advantages/disadvantages for me.

Thanks for outlining that all for me :D What are the mini-games like in each version of the game? I tried finding Youtube videos of the mini-games but didn't see any.

Edit: Also, with the lagging for DS Legend, which version of the DS was that on? (Original, Lite, DSi) I'm wondering if perhaps it only lags on the older DS.

I haven't bought my DS yet so there's still time to change my mind whether I want a Lite or a DSi :p I'm leaning towards Lite right now for the GBA slot and twice the battery time, but apparently the DSi has larger screen, better speakers, and more powerful processor so I'm still torn :p

michaeldt
27-07-09, 12:13
E
Thanks for outlining that all for me :D What are the mini-games like in each version of the game? I tried finding Youtube videos of the mini-games but didn't see any.

I only know the DS minigames.

. 3D maze
. Puzzle
. blow
. Klotski
(cant remember the last)

kimonap
27-07-09, 12:42
You know, we may argue about how many sunbeams hits the Earth, but i totally agree with you here :D. The DS version looks fabulous... I never expected those animated camera shots: Like tr4! That pretty much makes me wanna go into the TRL thread and troll the anti-TRL thrälls. Also i liked how they cropped the water, it's new for me and looks fresh... I played the Nokia 60's series version and i was amazed too, cause the main menú looks like too much to ask for a cellphone back in 2004 (the date of the phones, not the game :p), but they ported it and looked stunning.

Oh, yes... Playing a GBA is priceless, even more if you take in count that's supposed to be a portable Super Nintendo :D. The oldschool feeling about this makes me wanna play it there as well... Damn money!

Here's a preview of the Nokia gameplay (i know a Penguin with a Nokia that must get this ;))...

5Pp2Ar8jzTI

OHH **** this looks *****ng amazing....i could say better than the original legend version

Pksstr
27-07-09, 17:05
TRL for sony ericson sucks :(

jackles
27-07-09, 19:21
I enjoyed the DS version of legend more than playing on the ps2. It felt more tomb raider (well my idea of tomb raider anyway!!)

Ward Dragon
28-07-09, 00:49
I enjoyed the DS version of legend more than playing on the ps2. It felt more tomb raider (well my idea of tomb raider anyway!!)

Really? I only saw a little bit in the Youtube videos, but the DS version looked even more linear than the main version :o Or was there something else about the DS version that captured your attention? (All this talk about the handheld versions of the game made me go play the 360 version -- I spent 40 minutes on the mansion and then won the main game straight through in 2 hours 49 minutes so I was hoping the handheld version would be longer :o)

michaeldt
28-07-09, 10:31
It's an overhead view very much like the oldschool GTA games. :D But it's extremely difficult to control the bike. And they're not as long as in the console versions.

can you put up a vid or post some pics please? :)